Applying as a 16 or 17 Year Old

  • Most applicants age 16-17 must apply in person using Form DS-11.
  • Passports for applicants 16 and older are valid for 10 years.
  • Use our Form Filler tool to fill out your form and then print it.

February 2024: Forms for Special Situations

Please note that we are working to update the forms on this site. You may continue to use all forms on this site, including the ones with an expiration date that has passed. 


Steps to Apply

1. Fill Out Form DS-11

DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport

Use our Form Filler tool to fill out your form online and then print it. The Form Filler will save time and reduce errors caused by handwriting. If you are experiencing technical issues with the Form Filler, download a PDF. 

Complete Form Online using Form FillerPrint PDF

Please note:

  • The Form Filler will create the correct form for you based on the data you enter. Double check the information you entered for your date of birth and date of previous passport issuance if you did not get the form you expected to receive.
  • If applying on Form DS-11, do not sign it until instructed to do so by the acceptance agent.
  • You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one. 
    • If you do not have a Social Security number, you must sign and date a statement that says, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct:  I have never been issued a Social Security Number by the Social Security Administration.”
  • You can apply for a passport book, a passport card, or both documents.
  • You may request a larger passport book with more visa pages, at no additional cost, by checking the 'large book' box at the top of the application.
  • In the Emergency Contact field, list a contact who is not traveling with you.

2. Provide U.S. Citizenship Evidence

Your evidence must be an original or certified, physical copy. A certified copy is any document that has the seal or stamp of the official issuing authority. You must submit one of the following documents:

  • Full validity, undamaged U.S. passport (expired passports are accepted). Full validity means the document is/was valid for 10 years for adults and 5 years for children under 16.
  • U.S. birth certificate that meets the following requirements: 
    • Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
    • Lists your full name, date of birth, and place of birth
    • Lists your parent(s)' full names
    • Has the date filed with registrar's office (must be within one year of birth)
    • Has the registrar's signature
    • Has the seal or stamp of the city, county, or state which issued it
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
  • Certificate of Naturalization 
  • Certificate of Citizenship

If you cannot submit one of the above acceptable documents, or for more information, please see Citizenship Evidence.

Paper only: You cannot submit digital evidence of U.S. citizenship such as a mobile or electronic birth certificate. You must submit physical evidence of U.S. citizenship and a photocopy of the document. 

Returning your document: You will need to provide your evidence of U.S. citizenship to the acceptance agent or passport employee. We will return your document in a separate mailing up to 8 weeks after you receive your new passport.

Sample U.S. Birth Certificate
An image of the sample features of a U.S. birth certificate

3. Bring a Photocopy of U.S. Citizenship Evidence

In addition to the original or certified copy of your U.S. citizenship, you must submit a photocopy of the document.

Photocopies must be:

  • Legible
  • On white 8.5”x11” standard paper
  • Black and white
  • Single-sided

If you don't want to submit a photocopy of your citizenship evidence, you may submit a second certified copy of your citizenship evidence, which we will keep. If you don’t submit a photocopy or a second certified copy of your citizenship evidence, your passport processing could be delayed.


4. Show Parental Awareness

If you have your own current identification document (ID), you may apply for a passport if you are age 16 or 17. You must show at least one legal parent or legal guardian is aware that you are applying for a passport. For more information, please see Children's Passport Issuance Alert Program.

How to Show Parental Awareness:

  • A legal parent or legal guardian appearing with you in person when you apply for your passport. The agent or employee accepting the application will ask your legal parent or legal guardian to sign Form DS-11. Bring a photocopy of that parent or guardian's ID.
  • Submit a signed note from your legal parent or legal guardian with a photocopy of their ID.
  • Submit proof that your legal parent or legal guardian is paying your application fees (Example: parent or guardian name is written on  the check or money order).
  • We may ask you to submit a notarized statement from your legal parent or legal guardian (e.g., on Form DS-3053) which states he or she supports you receiving a passport. The statement must be accompanied by a photocopy of that parent or guardian's ID.

5. Present ID

You (or your parent/guardian) must present one of the following IDs to the acceptance agent. 

  • Valid or expired, undamaged U.S. passport book or passport card 
  • In-state, fully valid driver's license or enhanced driver's license with photo
  • Certificate of Naturalization 
  • Certificate of Citizenship 
  • Government employee ID (city, county, state, or federal)
  • U.S. military or military dependent ID
  • Current (valid) foreign passport
  • Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular ID) - commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
  • U.S. Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) - commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
  • Trusted Traveler IDs (including valid Global Entry, FAST, SENTRI, and NEXUS cards)
  • Enhanced Tribal Cards and Native American tribal photo IDs
  • Note: you may be asked to present an additional ID when presenting one of these three documents: 1) In-state, fully-valid learner's permit with photo, 2) In-state, fully-valid non-driver ID with photo, or 3) temporary driver's license with photo. 

If you cannot present one of the IDs above, or for more information, please see Identification.

Please note:

  • Some states now issue digital ID documents (also known as mobile driver's licenses or mobile IDs). We cannot accept these digital IDs when you apply for your U.S. passport. You must continue to submit your physical, photo ID and a photocopy of the ID.  
  • If you present an out-of-state ID, you must present an additional ID.

6. Bring a Photocopy of ID

Submit a photocopy of the front and back of each ID that you present when you apply.


  • Photocopy must be on white, 8.5 x 11" standard paper.
  • Photocopy cannot be double-sided.
  • Do not decrease the image size (although you may enlarge it).

7. Provide a Photo

You must provide one photo with your application. To avoid processing delays, be sure your photo meets all photo requirements.

  • Do not attach or staple your photo to the form. The acceptance agent or passport employee accepting your form will review the photo and staple it. 
  • Some passport acceptance facilities provide photo services for an additional fee.  



8. Calculate Fees

You must pay fees for passport services. When applying using Form DS-11, you will pay two separate fees - an application fee and an execution (acceptance) fee.

Adult Applicants (age 16 and older):

Product Form Application Fee Execution (Acceptance) Fee
Passport Book DS-11 $130 $35
Passport Card DS-11 $30 $35
Passport Book & Card DS-11 $160 $35

Expedited service costs an additional $60. For information on forms of payment and a full list of fees and services, please see Passport Fees.

*How to fill out your check and pay the application fee to the U.S. Department of State. Please note you must pay a separate execution (acceptance) fee.


9. Find Location to Apply and Submit Completed Application

Inside the United States:

  • You must submit your completed application, including supporting documents, photo, and fees, in person at a passport acceptance facility. Check with the facility to see if you need to make an appointment.
  • You may be eligible to make an appointment to apply in person at a passport agency if you are traveling soon. Please see Get My Passport Fast for more information. 

Outside the United States:

Contact your U.S. embassy or consulate.


10. Track your Application Status

You can subscribe to email updates about your application status, and learn more about each status update.

Note: It may take 2 weeks from the day you apply until your application status is “In Process.” During these 2 weeks, your application is delivered to a mail facility, your payment is processed, and your application is scanned and sent to us. If your passport status update says “Not Available,” your application and supporting documents are safely on their way to us.



Can I mail in my application or apply online?

You cannot mail in Form DS-11. Additionally, the Department of State does not have the option to submit your passport application online.


When can a 16-17 year old use Form DS-82?

If you have already had a full-validity (10 year) passport issued to you when you were age 16 or older, you may use Form DS-82 to renew your passport. Please see Renew a Passport by Mail to see if you are eligible to apply using Form DS-82.


Do I have to make an appointment to apply at an acceptance facility?

Some acceptance facilities require appointments and others do not. We recommend calling the acceptance facility ahead of time to verify their hours, acceptable forms of payment, and appointment requirements. Find your acceptance facility.


How will you send my passport and supporting documents?

After we print your passport, we will send it to you and return your supporting documents. How we send your passport and supporting documents depends if you applied for a book and/or a card and if you paid an additional fee for 1-2 day delivery.

I applied for a passport book only: You may receive your newly-issued passport and your citizenship documents in two separate mailings. You may wait 8 weeks after receiving your passport before you receive a second mailing with your citizenship documents. We can send your passport book via a 1-2 day delivery service.

I applied for a passport card only: You may receive your newly-issued passport card and your citizenship documents in two separate mailings. You may wait 8 weeks after receiving your passport before you receive a second mailing with your citizenship documents. We only send the passport card via First Class Mail. We do not send cards via 1-2 day delivery services.

I applied for both a passport book and passport card: You may receive three separate mailings; one with your citizenship documents, one with your newly-issued passport book, and one with your newly-issued passport card. You may wait 8 weeks after receiving your passport book before you receive a second and third mailing with your passport card and citizenship documents.


I don't have any citizenship evidence or photo ID to apply. How can I get these documents?

Go to our Citizenship Evidence page and Photo ID page for examples of documents we accept.

Don't have a birth certificate?

If you were born in the United States, contact the county, city, or state where you were born and ask for a certified copy of your birth certificate. A certified copy has the seal or stamp of the official issuing authority.

If you were born outside the United States, follow the tips on the Citizenship Evidence page. 

Don't have a driver's license?

We accept other types of government-issued, primary photo ID. We will accept secondary photo ID if you do not have a primary ID. 



It states on my U.S. birth certificate that is it illegal to make a copy. What should I do?

If you choose not to submit a photocopy, you may submit a second certified copy of your birth certificate. We will keep this second certified copy for our records.

Last Updated: September 26, 2023