Birth of U.S. Citizens and Non-Citizen Nationals Abroad

Apply for your child's Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) if you are a U.S. citizen or national, and your child was born in a foreign country. 


What is a CRBA?

A CRBA documents that your child was a U.S. citizen at birth. The CRBA does not serve as proof of the identity of the child’s legal parents. We issue CRBAs to children under age 18 who were born abroad and got U.S. citizenship or nationality at birth.

The names on the CRBA include the parents who have a genetic or gestational connection to the child. The parent(s) passing U.S. citizenship to their child must have their name(s) on the CRBA. A parent passing U.S. citizenship may approve the other parent, who is not passing citizenship, to have their name on the CRBA.


How do I apply for a CRBA?

Apply online at most U.S embassies and consulates. Go to your U.S. embassy or consulate webpage to get steps on how to apply. To start the process of applying online, go to our MyTravelGov page. If you cannot apply online, you can complete the PDF of Form DS-2029

If one parent is not a U.S. citizen or if the U.S. citizen parent passing citizenship to your child is not present, that parent who is not present should complete Form DS-5507. Use this form to list the periods of time the parent, who is not present, spent in the United States.

If your child was born out-of-wedlock, and the father is a U.S. citizen or non-citizen U.S national, use Form DS-5507. The father of the child must sign Form DS-5507 at a U.S. embassy or consulate, or in front of an official who registers births or gives oaths. 


How do I replace, change, or request additional copies of a CRBA?

Our Vital Records Office can help you replace or change the CRBA, or request more copies of it at any time. 


Can I request an X gender marker on a CRBA?

We are working to make the X gender marker available on Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBAs). Please note we are currently offering customers the option to select an X gender maker on a U.S. passport.


I'm a U.S. national born in a U.S. territory. Am I eligible for a CRBA?

If you got U.S. nationality when you were born in one of the U.S. territories listed below, you are not eligible for a CRBA. You are not eligible because you are not considered to have been born abroad.

The locations and time periods include:

  •     Puerto Rico after April 10, 1899
  •     U.S. Virgin Islands after January 16, 1917
  •     American Samoa after February 15, 1900
  •     Guam after December 23, 1952
  •     Swains Island after March 3, 1925
  •     The Panama Canal Zone before October 1, 1979
  •     The Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands after January 8, 1978 (8PM EST)
  •     The Philippines before July 4, 1946
Last Updated: July 10, 2024