We want to make sure you get your application right the first time by avoiding these five most common mistakes:
- If you're renewing your application, submit your most recent passport with your application. Sign and date Form DS-82.
- Complete all sections of your form including entering your correct Social Security number. Do not leave anything blank. If you're applying for the first time or with your child under age 16, wait to sign the form until you are instructed to do so. If you're renewing by mail, sign and date the form on your own.
- Closely follow our passport photo requirements.
- Provide evidence of U.S. citizenship.
- Include your name change document (such as marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order) if your current name is not the same as the name on your most recent passport.