Report my Passport Lost or Stolen

Notice about Passport Numbers

Our records and IT systems do not connect to the records or systems of outside companies. No one can access our records or obtain copies of a U.S. citizen’s records by using a passport number.

No one can travel internationally using only a U.S. passport number. Travelers must present an original, physical version of a U.S. passport book or U.S. passport card upon entering a foreign country and when returning to the United States from a foreign country.

The U.S. passport book and passport card are highly secure documents with numerous security features designed to prevent successful counterfeiting. 

We do not recommend reporting your U.S. passport lost or stolen if your passport number was compromised. You should only report your U.S. passport lost or stolen if the original, physical version of the passport book or passport card has been lost or stolenOnce you report a U.S. passport lost or stolen, it is invalid and cannot be used for international travel.

Report your physical U.S. passport lost or stolen immediately to protect yourself from identity theft. You can replace it now or later - it's up to you! 

How to Report your Lost or Stolen Passport

Report your passport lost or stolen by using one of the 3 options below:

Click on the tool below, and navigate to the "Report Lost or Stolen" tab.

Report a Passport Lost or Stolen, Submit DS-64 Online


Complete, sign, and mail Form DS-64 to the address on the form.

Call us toll-free at 1-877-487-2778 (TTY 1-888-874-7793). If you want to apply for a new passport, you'll have to also fill out the paper Form DS-64 to turn in with your application.

How to Replace a Lost or Stolen Passport

To replace a lost or stolen passport, you must submit Form DS-11 in person. 

If... Then...
You are in the United States and are traveling in 4 weeks or less You may be eligible to make an appointment to apply in person at a passport agency or center to replace your passport. To go to a passport agency or center, you must be traveling internationally in the next 72 hours (or 3 business days). Appointments are extremely limited.
You are in the United States and are traveling in more than 4 weeks Make an appointment (if required) to apply at a passport acceptance facility to replace your passport.
You are outside the United States Contact your nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to replace your passport. 


Other Topics

Think your passport is lost in the mail?

  1. Confirm that we mailed out your passport. You can use the Online Passport Status System or contact the National Passport Information Center (NPIC).
  2. Contact NPIC if you have not received your passport 10 days after it was mailed.

Note: If not reported within 90 days from the date issued, you will be required to re-apply and pay all applicable fees.


Find someone else's passport?

If you find another person's lost U.S. passport, please mail it in a sturdy envelope to:

U.S. Department of State
Consular Lost and Stolen Passport Unit (CLASP)
44132 Mercure Circle
PO Box 1227
Sterling, VA 20166-1227


Want to cancel the passport of deceased relative?

You can return the passport of a deceased relative for cancelation. We can return the passport after it is canceled.

Please submit:

  • The valid passport
  • certified copy of the death certificate 
  • A letter requesting the cancelation and return (or destruction) of the passport

Please mail to:

U.S. Department of State
Consular Lost and Stolen Passport Unit (CLASP)
44132 Mercure Circle
P.O. Box 1227
Sterling, VA 20166-1227