Travel Agents

The Bureau of Consular Affairs (CA) is responsible for protecting U.S. citizens and their interests abroad, issuing passports and other documentation to U.S. citizens and nationals, supporting U.S. border security, facilitating legitimate travel to the United States, and fostering economic growth.

The links below will help you with your clients’ travel needs before and during their trip. We encourage you to add these links to your own website for easy reference.

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook @TravelGov for travel updates, tips, and Q&As.


A passport is a U.S. citizen’s key to international travel. Due to a surge in passport applications, your clients should apply several months in advance, especially if they need visas for their foreign destinations. Travelers should make sure their passport is valid at least six months after returning home and has two or more blank pages, or some countries may not let them enter. Note that passports for children under 16 are valid five years and adult passports 10 years, so check expiration dates carefully. We recommend all cruise ship passengers have their passport with them in case of emergency, even if not required.

Preparing for a trip abroad

For any trip abroad, it is important to be prepared.  Before traveling, your clients should follow our Traveler’s Checklist to get information about their destination, have required documents, sign up for our free Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive updates about their destination while traveling, and get insurance for the unexpected. It is especially important for all travelers to be ready in case of a crisis abroad and have an evacuation plan that does not rely on U.S. government assistance. 

Emergency assistance abroad

The safety and security of U.S. citizens abroad is one of our highest priorities. Our U.S. embassies and consulates around the world are available to help with emergencies 24/7.

Further useful information for U.S. travelers


Travel Agents Abroad


Foreign travelers to the United States for short visits need a visitor visa unless they qualify for entry under the Visa Waiver Program. Types of visitor travel include tourism, vacation, family visits, or medical treatment.