Life-or-Death Emergencies

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family that require you to travel outside the United States within 72 hours (3 days). If you're traveling in more than 72 hours, learn more about Where to Apply

Call us to make an appointment for emergency passport service in case of a life-or-death emergency within 72 hours (3 days).

You must provide:

  • A passport application with supporting documents
  • Proof of the life-or-death emergency such as a death certificate, a statement from a mortuary, or a signed letter from a hospital or medical professional. Documents must be translated or in English.
  • Proof of international travel (itinerary)

How to Contact Us

From the United States:

  • 1-877-487-27781-888-874-7793 (TTY/TDD) Monday- Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Eastern Time, except federal holidays. Saturdays, 10:00 am to 3:00 pm Eastern Time.
  • 202-647-4000 outside of the hours listed above

From outside the United States:

Contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.