Emergency Alert
September 17, 2017
Hurricanes Irma and Jose
Emergency Alert
October 2, 2017
Hurricane Maria

Consular Notification and Access


Contact Info for Foreign Embassies & Consulates

Tanzania, United Republic of

United Republic of Tanzania
Quick Facts

6 months


1 page




Yellow fever required if traveling from a yellow fever endemic country





Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Dar Es Salaam

686 Old Bagamoyo Road,
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Telephone: +(255) 22-229-4122
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(255) 22-229-4000, dial '1' for an emergency operator
Fax: +(255) 22-229-4721

Destination Description

See our Fact Sheet on Tanzania for information on U.S. – Tanzania relations.

Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

Visas are required for U.S. citizens traveling to Tanzania.  The U.S. Embassy recommends that U.S. citizens obtain visas before traveling to Tanzania, but visas are also available at ports of entry upon arrival. 

A passport valid for a minimum of six months beyond visa issuance and/or date of entry, and at least one blank visa page is required. Visitors who enter on visas must present a roundtrip ticket and demonstrate they have sufficient funds for their stay. 

Be prepared to show your passport and explain your visa status when entering or departing Zanzibar or when traveling around the mainland. 

Volunteer activity – even if the traveler is paying for the opportunity – is prohibited on a tourist visa. If you plan to engage in business or commercial transactions in Tanzania, please consult with the Embassy of Tanzania in Washington, D.C. before applying for a visa. 

Visit the Embassy of Tanzania website for the most current visa information. Read the page on visas and immigration to ensure you will have the correct status during your visit to Tanzania.

Yellow fever vaccination is required for all travelers arriving from, or having transited through, yellow fever endemic countries. Direct arrivals from non-endemic countries, including all countries in Europe and North America, are not required to show the certificate. 

If a public official attempts to solicit the payment of a fine from you, ask to travel to the nearest police station to file a report regarding the incident. Obtain a receipt and a written report of any such transactions. If your passport is seized, ask for a receipt, note the officer’s name, location, and contact details and report it immediately to the U.S. Embassy.

For information on obtaining a residence permit, please contact the Tanzanian Immigration Department's Ministry for Home Affairs website or by telephone. 

Dar es Salaam:  +255 (0) 22 2850575/6
Zanzibar:  +255 (0) 24 223 9148

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Tanzania. 

Find information on dual nationalityprevention of international child abduction and customs regulations on our websites.

Safety and Security

Terrorist incidents, including the 1998 bombing of the U.S. Embassies in Dar es Salaam and Nairobi, as well as occasional attacks by extremists on police stations and mosques, among other targets, highlight the threat posed by terrorism in East Africa and underscore the capacity of terrorist groups to carry out such attacks against Westerners.

U.S. citizens should take precaution when traveling between Julius Nyerere International Airport and Dar es Salaam. There have been incidents of robberies while cars are stopped at traffic lights. Drivers should lock their doors and keep windows up at all times.

Crime: We urge you to report any crimes to the closest police station and request a copy of the report to use for any insurance claims.

Muggings, Robberies, and Assaults:

  • Stay alert when walking on beaches, footpaths, and roads, especially on Zanzibar, in Dar es Salaam, and Arusha.
  • Avoid carrying a bag, wearing flashy jewelry, or using personal electronics while in public.
  • If you must carry a bag, hold it by the handle loosely so you can let go quickly and not be injured if someone in a passing vehicle attempts to grab it. 
  • Do not put the strap across your chest as you can be dragged and badly injured.
  • While on safari, visiting parks, hiking, or mountain climbing, remain alert to your surroundings and report anything unusual to your tour guide, park ranger, or the police.
  • If you are in a dangerous situation, hand over all your valuables immediately, comply with the demands, and do not to make eye contact with the aggressors.

We have received reports of assaults originating at the Tazara train station, Ubungo bus station, Dar es Salaam airport, the Zanzibar ferry terminal area downtown, and the Slipway on the Msasani Peninsula in Dar es Salaam.

ATM/Bank Fraud: To reduce your vulnerability:

  • Minimize the amount of cash you carry.
  • Avoid using stand-alone ATMs.
  • Monitor your account balance regularly and immediately report unusual activity.
  • Avoid using debit cards if possible.
  • Have sufficient cash or traveler’s checks for your trip if you will be spending time outside of the large cities.

Reputable financial institutions will require the bearer of a traveler’s check to present the original receipt for the checks and proof of identity before completing a transaction.

Home Invasions: U.S. citizens residing in Arusha and Dar es Salaam continually report crimes targeting the homes of expatriates. Armed home invasions usually involve some violence and some victims have been seriously injured.

If you live in Tanzania, ensure that your home has a safe haven, a secure area with reinforced barriers, where you can retreat and remain safe if intruders enter.

Residents in Arusha and Dar es Salaam strongly recommend retaining a professional security company with 24-hour guards and roving patrols. If you have access to a house alarm, use it.

Carjackings: To avoid carjackings:

  • Drive with doors locked and windows rolled up.
  • Do not to stop in unpopulated areas.
  • Travel in convoys if possible.
  • Be wary of drivers of stopped cars flagging motorists down for assistance.

Dar es Salaam: Be very careful in the Coco Beach area of Touré Drive on Msasani Peninsula, the scenic beachfront road leading from the Sea Cliff Hotel into town. The U.S. Embassy receives regular reports of muggings, pick-pockets, and thefts from cars. This road is a concern any time of day or night, whether you are on foot or in a vehicle.

U.S. government personnel are cautioned against walking or running along Touré Drive and Haile Selassie Road on the Msasani Peninsula due to the prevalence of assaults. Avoid areas where there aren't houses or buildings on both sides of the road as assailants like to hide in areas covered by brush. Be cautious about walking on paths near the water, as serious erosion has degraded the soil. 

Zanzibar: Beware of pickpockets, assaults, and bag snatching in Zanzibar. Wear modest dress and keep a low profile, especially on Friday afternoons, the traditional time to attend mosque.

Arusha: In Arusha, the high number of foreign tourists attracts pickpockets and bag snatchers. You are strongly discouraged from walking around at dusk or at night, and to avoid the section of Arusha on the far side of the Themi River at all times when on foot. Many muggings have occurred near the clock tower in the center of town.

Tanga: Criminals use the Amboni Caves north of Tanga City to hide from authorities. Police and military perform raid operations to apprehend criminal suspects in the cave system. Additionally, armed robberies in the shopping establishments of the Mzizima Ward of Tanga Rural District have increased.

Mwanza: Violence and attacks by armed groups in and around the city of Mwanza has increased. You should remain alert and avoid large gatherings when travelling to Mwanza.

Pwani coastal region: Following an attack on police by unknown assailants on April 13, 2017, Tanzanian authorities have increased their security presence in the Pwani coastal region, about 100km south of Dar es Salaam. Additional checkpoints are in place, particularly on highways and in towns.

The police also announced that the use of motorcycles is banned at night throughout the region; beginning at 6:00 p.m. U.S. citizens are urged to exercise caution and stay current with media coverage of local events.

See the Department of State and the FBI pages for information on scams.


U.S. citizen victims of sexual assault should report crimes to the local police at 111 and contact the U.S. Embassy at 255 22 229 4122 and at 255 22 229 4000, dial ‘1’ for an emergency operator.

Some police stations in Dar es Salaam (such as Oysterbay and Selander Bridge) offer a special desk for tourists to report crimes. However, they have limited daytime hours. In general, police stations may not have an English-speaker available or be staffed to make a written report even during opening hours.

Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting the crime.

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • help you find appropriate medical care
  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • provide a list of local attorneys
  • provide information on victim’s compensation programs in the U.S.
  • provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical
  • support in cases of destitution
  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home
  • replace a stolen or lost passport

Domestic Violence: U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the Embassy for assistance.

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned.

Penalties for possession or sale of illegal drugs of any kind are severe in Tanzania, with a minimum of seven years for simple possession and 30 years to life for more serious charges.

Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the United States, regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

The U.S. Embassy maintains a list of attorneys here.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. See our webpage for further information.

Photography: Photographing military installations is forbidden. Individuals have been detained and/or had their cameras and film confiscated for taking pictures of hospitals, schools, bridges, industrial sites, and airports. Sites where photography is prohibited are not always marked.

Animal products: In Tanzania, it is illegal to export an animal or animal part (including live or dead animal parts, such as skins and bones, feathers, or shells) without export certification from the Tanzanian government. It is also illegal to export any such products received as a gift or exchange without the correct documentation. The penalties can range from a fine and/or two to five years imprisonment. Additionally, it is illegal to gather, collect, or remove any flora or fauna, including seashells, from marine parks. Penalties include a fine and/or imprisonment of up to two years.

Safaris: Remember, these are wild animals. Their reflexes and reaction times are quicker than those of trained guides. Critically review and assess the protection measures offered by safari companies. Stay in vehicles or protected enclosures when in game parks.

If you have chronic health problems, consider the risks before joining an extended trip in the African wilderness where emergency medical help is not readily available.


  • Know the signs of altitude sickness.
  • Heed the advice of the professionals organizing the ascent.
  • Don't try to save money by selecting a tour guide who offers a faster ascent - your body needs the extra day(s) to acclimate to the altitude.
  • If you experience altitude sickness, descend immediately and seek medical help.

What to Wear: While visiting Tanzania, you should dress modestly (upper arms and legs covered and no exposed midriffs) outside of the hotel or resort and when arriving and departing from Zanzibar.

Ramadan: During the holy month of Ramadan, when Muslims fast during daylight hours, avoid eating, drinking, smoking, or chewing gum in public except in hotels or restaurants.

Scams: U.S. businesspersons have been victims of scams involving the alleged sale of gold, diamonds, gemstones, minerals, and other natural resources. You should be very cautious of seemingly lucrative business opportunities offered by agents based in, or with ties to, Tanzania and neighboring countries.

There are also scams involving offers to arrange volunteer visas and safari excursions. Vet anyone offering to provide you such a service and check their references carefully.

Faith-Based Travelers: See our following webpages for details:

LGBTI Rights: Consensual same-sex activity is illegal both on the mainland and on Zanzibar, and is punishable by long prison sentences. Members of the LGBTI community may not be admitted to Tanzania by immigration authorities and once here may be targeted, harassed, and/or charged with unrelated offenses. Public displays of affection between persons of the same sex may be met with harassment or violence. Non-governmental organizations (NGOs) that support the LGBTI community and their staff may also be targeted and harassed by local authorities.

See our LGBTI Travel Information page and section 6 of our Human Rights report for further details.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance: While in Tanzania, individuals with disabilities may find accessibility and accommodation very different from the United States. Sidewalks are nearly non-existent and there are frequent power outages. The Tanzanian constitution prohibits discrimination against persons with disabilities.

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Women Travelers should hire only legitimate tour guides, preferably arranged by a known travel agency or hotel. Be wary of offers of sightseeing from new contacts and avoid being alone with strangers who propose special, customized sightseeing trips. Practice common sense and remain vigilant regarding your surroundings.

If you are the victim of sexual assault, see your doctor immediately to ask about the availability of post-exposure HIV prophylaxis or seek medical care outside of Tanzania if needed.

See our travel tips for Women Travelers.


We do not pay medical bills. Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas.

Click here to access the list of medical facilities in Tanzania from the Embassy website.

Medical Insurance: Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most care providers overseas only accept cash payments. See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage.

We strongly recommend supplemental insurance (our webpage) to cover medical evacuation.

Always, carry your prescription medication in original packaging with your doctor’s prescription.  

The following diseases are prevalent:

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Further health information:

Travel and Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety: Road travel in Tanzania can be extremely dangerous, especially at night. Traffic in Tanzania moves on the left. Drivers and pedestrians alike must maintain vigilance. Although a number of inter-city highways are periodically repaved and maintained, maintenance schedules are erratic and even good roads may deteriorate precipitously in periods of inclement weather.

During the rainy seasons (late March to mid-June and mid-November to mid-December), many roads in Tanzania, both urban and rural, are passable only with four-wheel-drive vehicles.

Traffic Laws: Tanzanian law requires all motor vehicle operators to be in possession of a valid driver’s license. Persons staying in Tanzania for six months or less may use a valid U.S. driver’s license after validation by local traffic authorities, or an international driver’s license. Persons intending to remain in Tanzania for more than six months are required to obtain a Tanzanian driver’s license. All vehicles are required to carry third-party liability insurance and to post the decal in the front window.

Public Transportation: Use taxis or hire a driver from a reputable source. When traveling by taxi:

  • Do not ride in a taxi hailed by someone you do not know.
  • Ask the hotel or restaurant to recommend a driver. Before entering the vehicle, ask the driver to see their credentials, take a picture of the taxi license plates, and send the photo to a friend.
  • Make sure the child locks are not engaged and the door can be opened from the inside.
  • After entering, lock the doors and roll up the windows. If the driver unlocks the doors or rolls down the windows, exit immediately.
  • Do not ride in taxis already carrying a passenger. If a taxi stops to allow another person to enter, exit immediately.

Inter-city transportation between major destinations, such as Arusha and Dar es Salaam, are serviced by a variety of carriers. You should select carriers with modern equipment.

Travelers should also avoid using dala-dala microbuses and bajaji, three-wheeled taxis.

Ferries traveling between the mainland and Zanzibar may be unsafe. When traveling by ferry:

  • Travel on a high-speed ferry.
  • Purchase your tickets inside the ferry terminal, not from vendors outside.
  • Tickets should include your name, date of travel, and class of travel.
  • Travel during daylight with good visibility, fair weather, and calm water.
  • Avoid overcrowded vessels or those which lack sufficient life vests, easy access to exits, and a functioning communications system.
  • Become familiar with emergency procedures on board, especially the locations of life jackets and emergency exits.
  • Beware of pickpockets aboard the ferry, and be wary even of uniformed personnel who seek to assist you.

See our Road Safety page for more information.

Aviation Safety Oversight: As there is no direct commercial air service to the United States by carriers registered in Tanzania, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has not assessed the government of Tanzania's Civil Aviation Authority for compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards. Further information may be found on the FAA's safety assessment page.

Maritime Travel: Mariners planning travel to Tanzania should also check for U.S. maritime advisories and alerts at www.marad.dot.gov/msci.  Information may also be posted to the U.S. Coast Guard homeport website and the NGA broadcast warnings website (select “broadcast warnings”).

Hague Convention Participation
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention?
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention?
What You Can Do
Learn how to respond to abductions FROM the US
Learn how to respond to abductions TO the US
Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Dar Es Salaam

686 Old Bagamoyo Road,
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Telephone: +(255) 22-229-4122
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(255) 22-229-4000, dial '1' for an emergency operator
Fax: +(255) 22-229-4721

General Information


For information concerning travel to Tanzania, including information about the location of the U.S. Embassy, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for Tanzania.

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on International Parental Child Abduction (IPCA).  The report is located here.




Hague Abduction Convention

Tanzania is not a signatory to the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention), nor are there any bilateral agreements in force between Tanzania and the United States concerning international parental child abduction.



Legal systems and laws pertaining to custody, divorce, and parental abduction vary widely from country to country.  Parents are encouraged to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law in Tanzania and who can provide accurate legal guidance that is specific to their circumstances. 


The Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizens Services, Office of Children’s Issues provides assistance in cases of international parental child abduction.  For U.S. citizen parents whose children have been wrongfully removed to or retained in countries that are not U.S. partners under the Hague Abduction Convention, the Office of Children’s Issues can provide information and resources about country-specific options for pursuing the return of or access to an abducted child.  The Office of Children’s Issues may also coordinate with appropriate foreign and U.S. government authorities about the welfare of abducted U.S. citizen children.  Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance.

Contact information:

United States Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs
Office of Children's
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Telephone:  1-888-407-4747
Outside the United States or Canada: 1-202-501-4444
Email: AskCI@state.gov

Parental child abduction is only considered a crime by Tanzanian law enforcement authorities if it occurs in contravention of a court order forbidding the removal of the child from Tanzania. 


Parents may wish to consult with an attorney in the United States and in the country to which the child has been removed or retained to learn more about how filing criminal charges may impact a custody case in the foreign court.  Please see Possible Solutions - Pressing Criminal Charges for more information.




Legal systems and laws pertaining to custody, divorce, and parental abduction vary widely from country to country.  Parents are encouraged to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law in Tanzania and who can provide accurate legal guidance that is specific to their circumstances.

The Office of Children’s Issues may be able to assist parents seeking access to children who have been wrongfully removed from or retained outside the United States.   Parents who are seeking access to children who were not wrongfully removed from or retained outside the United States should contact the appropriate U.S. Embassy for information and possible assistance.

Retaining an Attorney

Neither the Office of Children’s Issues nor consular officials at the U.S. Embassy in Tanzania are authorized to provide legal advice.

The U.S. Embassy in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania posts a list of attorneys, including those who specialize in family law.

This list is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the following persons or firms.  Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the lawyers.


We are not aware of any governmental or non-governmental entities that provide mediation services.

Exercising Custody Rights

While travelling in a foreign country, you are subject to the laws of that country. It is important for parents to understand that, although a left-behind parent in the United States may have custody or visitation rights pursuant to a U.S. custody order, that order may not be valid and enforceable in the country in which the child is located.  For this reason, we strongly encourage you to speak to a local attorney if planning to remove a child from a foreign country without the consent of the other parent.  Attempts to remove your child to the United States may:

  • Endanger your child and others;
  • Prejudice any future judicial efforts; and
  • Could result in your arrest and imprisonment.

The U.S. government cannot interfere with another country’s court or law enforcement system.

To understand the legal effect of a U.S. order in a foreign country, a parent should consult with a local attorney in the country in which the child is located.  

For information about hiring an attorney abroad, see our section on Retaining a Foreign Attorney. 

Although we cannot recommend an attorney to you, most U.S. Embassies have lists of attorneys available online. Please visit the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate website for a full listing.

For more information on consular assistance for U.S. citizens arrested abroad, please see our website.

Country officers are available to speak with you Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  For assistance with an abduction in progress or any emergency situation that occurs after normal business hours, on weekends, or federal holidays, please call toll free at 1-888-407-4747. See all contact information.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this flyer is provided for general information only, is not intended to be legal advice, and may change without notice. Questions involving interpretation of law should be addressed to an attorney licensed in the relevant jurisdiction. 


Hague Convention Participation
Hague Adoption Convention Country?
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Both adoptions to the United States from Tanzania and from the United States to Tanzania are possible.
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

Tanzania is not party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention).  Intercountry adoptions of children from non-Hague countries are processed in accordance with 8 Code of Federal Regulations, Section  204.3 as it relates to orphans as defined under the Immigration and Nationality Act, Section 101(b)(1)(F).

Tanzanian adoption law is outlined in Part VI of Tanzania’s 2009 Law of the Child

Prospective adoptive parents are cautioned that:

  • Adoptions are not allowed in Zanzibar.
  • Families must either be Tanzanian citizens or resident in Tanzania for three years before seeking to adopt.

Review the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) websitefor information on international adoptions, or immigration through adoption, namely the “orphan” process.


To bring an adopted child to the United States from Tanzania, you must meet eligibility and suitability requirements.  The U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) determines who can adopt under U.S. immigration law.

Additionally, a child must meet the definition of orphan under U.S. immigration law in order to be eligible to immigrate to the United States on an IR-3 or IR-4 immigrant visa.

Who Can Adopt

In addition to U.S. immigration requirements, you must also meet the following requirements in order to adopt a child from Tanzania:

  • Residency:  Prospective adoptive parent(s) must be Tanzanian residents for at least three consecutive years to adopt a child from Tanzania unless they are Tanzanian citizens.  The Tanzanian Department of Social Welfare considers a person to be resident if that person holds a Resident Permit (Class A, B or C), a Dependent's Pass, or an Exemption Permit, and lives in Tanzania.  This residency requirement may be waived in cases where the applicant is a Tanzanian citizen or the High Court of Tanzania determines an adoption by non-Tanzanians to be “in the best interests of the child” (Tanzania Law of the Child, Article 74, Section 2).
  • Age of Adopting Parents:  A prospective adoptive parent, or in the case of a joint application, one of the prospective adoptive parents, must be at least 25 years old and at least 21 years older than the child to be adopted.  If the prospective adoptive parent is a relative of the child, he or she must be at least 25 years old, but there is no requirement regarding the minimum age difference between the prospective adoptive parent and the prospective adoptee.
  • Marriage:  Married heterosexual couples may adopt from Tanzania.  If one spouse applies for an adoption order, the other spouse must consent.  Single women who are Tanzanian citizens may adopt.  A single man with Tanzanian citizenship may only adopt a child if the child is his biological son (or biological daughter if the court is satisfied that special circumstances warrant the order). 
  • Income:  None specified
  • Other:  Laws permitting adoption in Tanzania apply only to the mainland.  Adoptions are not permitted in Zanzibar.
Who Can Be Adopted

In addition to U.S. immigration requirements, Tanzania has specific requirements for a child to meet in order to be eligible for adoption:

  • Relinquishment:  The District Social Welfare Officer will work with the Police Department to confirm whether a relinquished child has any living relatives.  In circumstances where family members are located, formal written consent from the family must be obtained before the child is released for adoption.
  • Abandonment:  In circumstances where no living relatives can be located, the Police Department will issue a Certificate of Abandonment.  The certificate is needed for the adoption to be completed.
  • Age of Adoptive Child:  None specified.  However, children age 14 or older must consent to the adoption, if capable of providing consent.
  • Sibling Adoptions:  None specified.
  • Special Needs or Medical Conditions:  None specified.
  • Waiting Period or Foster Care:  Adoptions generally take a minimum of six months after the match, to include three months of foster care, followed by a three month period between custody and the adoption hearing in the High Court.

Caution:  Prospective adoptive parents should be aware that not all children in orphanages or children’s homes are adoptable.  In many countries, birth parents place their child(ren) temporarily in an orphanage or children’s home due to financial or other hardship, intending that the child return home when this becomes possible.  In such cases, the birth parent(s) have rarely relinquished their parental rights or consented to their child(ren)’s adoption.

How to Adopt

Tanzania’s Adoption Authority 
Department of Social Welfare

The Process

The process for adopting a child from Tanzania generally includes the following steps:

  1. Choose an adoption service provider
  2. Apply to be found eligible to adopt
  3. Be matched with a child
  4. Adopt the child in Tanzania
  5. Apply for the child to be found eligible for orphan status
  6. Bring your child home

1.  Choose an Adoption Service Provider

The recommended first step in adopting a child from Tanzania is to decide whether or not to use a licensed adoption service provider in the United States that can help you with your adoption.  Adoption service providers must be licensed by the U.S. state in which they operate.  The Department of State provides information on selecting an adoption service provider on its website.

You will also need to work with a local Tanzanian attorney.  Consult the Law Society of Tanganyika or the U.S. Embassy in Dar es Salaam’s website for a list of attorneys.

2.  Apply to be Found Eligible to Adopt

In order to adopt a child from Tanzania, you will need to meet the requirements of the Government of Tanzania and U.S. immigration law.  To apply to adopt from Tanzania, you will need to:

  • Contact the District Social Welfare Officer to obtain the application form to foster a child.  If the office is not in your district, then reach out to the Regional Social Welfare Office.
  • Complete the foster care application form.  Provide contact details of at least three references who have known you for at least three years and one family reference.  If you cannot provide local references, then provide references from the United States.  The District Social Welfare Officer will coordinate with International Social Services to interview references outside of Tanzania. 
  • Arrange with the District Social Welfare Office to begin the home study process.  This consists of at least four interviews by the District Social Welfare Officer, including at least one visit to the family's home. 
  • The District Social Welfare Office forwards the custody application, home study, and other paperwork to the Commissioner for Social Welfare for review and approval.

To meet U.S. immigration requirements, you may also file an I-600A, Application for Advance Processing of an Orphan Petition with U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to be found eligible and suitable to adopt.

3.  Be Matched with a Child

If you are eligible to adopt, and a child is available for intercountry adoption, the central adoption authority or other authorized entity in Tanzania will provide you with a referral.  Each family must decide for itself whether or not it will be able to meet the needs of and provide a permanent home for a particular child.

The matching process generally involves the following steps:

  • When the foster application is approved, the prospective adoptive parents and the District Social Welfare Officer work together to identify a child who is eligible for adoption and suitable to be matched with the prospective adoptive parents.
  • The District Social Welfare Officer will contact the Police Department to determine whether the child has any living relatives.  If so, the relatives must consent to the adoption.  If there are no living relatives, the Police Department will produce a certificate of abandonment.
  • The District Social Welfare Officer places the child with the prospective adoptive parents to foster for at least three months.  The District Social Welfare Officer will visit the child and family on a regular basis during the fostering period.
  • After completing the three month foster care period, the prospective adoptive parents meet with the District Social Welfare Officer to discuss whether they wish to adopt the child.  The officer makes a recommendation and submits the file to the Commissioner of Social Welfare to review.

The child must be eligible to be adopted according to Tanzania’s requirements, as described in the Who Can Be Adopted section.  The child must also meet the definition of orphan under U.S. immigration law.

4.  Adopt the Child in Tanzania

The process for finalizing the adoption in Tanzania generally includes the following:

  • Role of Adoption Authority:  The District Social Welfare Officer, who is supervised by the Commissioner of Social Welfare, evaluates prospective adoptive parents to help determine suitability and eligibility to adopt under Tanzanian law, takes certain steps when a child is relinquished to government authorities, oversees the fostering and pre-adoption period as the child’s guardian ad litem, and makes recommendations regarding the suitability of specific child placements.
  • Role of the Court:  The Tanzanian High Court approves the legal adoption of a child.  If the child has been in your continuous care for the immediate six months prior and you meet the other requirements for the High Court to approve the adoption, the court will decide whether to issue an adoption order.
  • Role of Adoption Agencies:  U.S. adoption service providers can help with the adoption process.  However, you will still need to hire a local attorney to file the adoption case with the High Court.
  • Adoption Application:  You will need to apply to the District Social Welfare Officer to be found suitable and eligible to adopt, and your local attorney will apply to the High Court for the adoption, after the match is officially approved by the Office of Social Welfare.
  • Time Frame:  Upwards of six months, not including the three year residency requirement for non-Tanzanian citizens.
  • Adoption Fees:  Neither the courts nor the Office of Social Welfare charge for adoption services.  Attorney fees may range from U.S. $500 – $2,000.  Civil documents, such as birth certificates and passports, can range from U.S. $10 – $30 for each document.
  • Documents Required:  Prospective adoptive parents must provide proof of citizenship and identity, civil status, Tanzanian residency, financial means, home study, and an application for adoption.

Note:  Additional documents may be requested.

  • Authentication of Documents:  You may be asked to provide proof that a document from the United States is authentic.  If so, the Department of State, Authentications Office may be able to assist.

5.  Apply for the Child to be Found Eligible for Orphan Status

After you finalize the adoption in Tanzania, the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services must determine whether the child meets the definition of orphan under U.S. immigration law.  You will need to file a Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative.

Note:  Special procedures may be available for U.S. prospective adoptive parents who reside abroad and intend to continue residing abroad after finalizing the adoption.  Please see our page on U.S. Citizens Adopting Abroad for more information.

6.  Bring Your Child Home

Once your adoption is complete, you need to apply for several documents for your child before you can apply for a U.S. immigrant visa to bring your child home to the United States:

Birth Certificate

If you have finalized the adoption in Tanzania, you will first need to apply for a new birth certificate for your child.  Your name will be added to the new birth certificate.

Your attorney will take the adoption order to the civil registry (RITA) and request an adoption certificate listing your name(s) as the parent(s) of the child.

Tanzanian Passport

Your child is not yet a U.S. citizen, so s/he will need a travel document or passport from Tanzania. 

You or your attorney may apply for a passport at Immigration by presenting the adoption certificate and any other documents they require for processing, such as your identification.

U.S. Immigrant Visa

After you obtain the new birth certificate and passport for your child and you have filed Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative, you then need to apply for a U.S. immigrant visa for your child from the U.S. Embassy in Dar es Salaam.  This immigrant visa allows your child to travel home with you.  As part of this process, the Consular Officer must be provided the Panel Physician’s medical report on the child.

Contact the U.S. Embassy in Dar es Salaam by sending an email to DRSIV@state.gov. Consular staff will respond to you within one to two business days.

Visa issuance after the final interview generally takes three to five business days.  Adoptive parents should verify current processing times with the U.S. Embassy in Dar es Salaam before making final travel arrangements, if travelling to the city.

Child Citizenship Act

For adoptions finalized abroad prior to the child’s entry into the United States:  A child will acquire U.S. citizenship upon entry into the United States if the adoption was finalized prior to entry and the child otherwise meets the requirements of the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.

Do you ordinarily reside overseas?  If you intend to continue living overseas with your child instead of returning to the United States to reside permanently with your child, please review the instructions on USCIS form N-600K to determine whether you qualify to apply for expeditious naturalization of your child instead of pursuing the immigrant visa process.  If your application is approved, you may apply for a visitor’s visa at the U.S. Embassy in Dar es Salaam for your child to complete the naturalization procedure in the United States and to return to your home overseas.

*Please be aware that if your child did not qualify to become a citizen upon entry to the United States, it is very important that you take the steps necessary so that your child does qualify as soon as possible.  Failure to obtain citizenship for your child can impact many areas of his/her life including family travel, eligibility for education and education grants, and voting.

Read more about the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.

Traveling Abroad

Applying for Your U.S. Passport

U.S. citizens are required by law to enter and depart the United States on a valid U.S. passport. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. passports.

Getting or renewing a passport is easy. The Passport Application Wizard will help you determine which passport form you need, help you to complete the form online, estimate your payment, and generate the form for you to print—all in one place.

Obtaining a Visa to Travel to Tanzania

In addition to a U.S. passport, you may also need to obtain a visa. A visa is an official document issued by a foreign country that formally allows you to visit. Where required, visas are affixed to your passport and allow you to enter a foreign nation. To find information about obtaining a visa for Tanzania, see the Department of State’s Country-Specific Information.

Staying Safe on Your Trip

Before you travel, it is always a good practice to investigate the local conditions, laws, political landscape, and culture of the country. The Department of State provides Country-Specific Information for every country of the world about various issues, including the health conditions, crime, unusual currency or entry requirements, and any areas of instability.

Staying in Touch on Your Trip

When traveling during the adoption process, we encourage you to enroll with the Department of State. Enrollment makes it possible to contact you if necessary. Whether there is a family emergency in the United States or a crisis in Tanzania, enrollment assists the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in reaching you.

Enrollment is free and can be done online via the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).

After Adoption


Tanzanian law requires foreign adoptive parents to notify the Commissioner of the Office of Social Welfare of their intent to remove an adopted child from Tanzania on a permanent basis after the adoption.  The penalties for not doing so include sizeable fines (U.S. $6,000 – $30,000) and/or imprisonment (for six months to two years).

If a family has custody of the child and only an interim adoption order, then the family must seek the consent of the High Court before removing the child from Tanzania.

Prospective adoptive parents and adoptive parents are strongly encouraged to seek the counsel of a local attorney and/or adoption service provider regarding compliance with Tanzania’s post-adoption reporting requirements.  Your cooperation will contribute to the country’s positive experiences with U.S. citizen parents.

Post-Adoption Resources

Many adoptive parents find it important to find support after the adoption. There are many public and private nonprofit post-adoption services available for children and their families. There are also numerous adoptive family support groups and adoptee organizations active in the United States that provide a network of options for adoptees who seek out other adoptees from the same country of origin.  Take advantage of all the resources available to your family, whether it is another adoptive family, a support group, an advocacy organization, or your religious or community services.

Here are some places to start your support group search:

Note:  Inclusion of non-U.S. government links does not imply endorsement of contents.

Contact Information

U.S. Embassy in Tanzania
686 Old Bagamoyo Road, Msasani
P.O. Box 9123
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Tel:  +255-22-229-4122
Fax:  +255-22-229-4721
Email:  DRSIV@state.gov
Internet:  tz.usembassy.gov

Tanzania Adoption Authority
Office of Social Welfare
4th Floor NSSF Building
Corner of Morogoro and Bibi Titi Mohamed Road
P.O. Box 1949
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Tel: +255-22-213-5572

Embassy of the United Republic of Tanzania
1232 - 22nd Street NW, Washington D.C 20037
Tel:  202-884-1085
Fax:  202-797-7408
Email:  ubalozi@tanzaniaembassy-us.org
Internet:  TanzaniaEmbassy-US.org

Registration, Insolvency and Trusteeship Agency (RITA) (Adoption Certificates)
Kipalapala Street
P.O. Box  9182
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Fax:  +255-22-215-3069
Email:  info@rita.go.tz
Internet:  www.rita.go.tz/

Immigration Services (Tanzanian Passports)
Liliondo Street, Kurasini
P.O. Box 512
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Tel:  +255-22-285-0575 or -0576
Fax:  +255-22-285-0598 or -0584
Email:  pcis@immigration.go.tzadmin@immigration.go.tz
Internet:  www.immigration.go.tz

Office of Children’s Issues
U.S. Department of State
CA/OCS/CI, SA-17A, 9th Floor
Washington, D.C.  20522-1709
Tel:  1-888-407-4747
Email:  AskCI@state.gov
Internet:  adoption.state.gov

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
For questions about immigration procedures:
USCIS National Customer Service Center (NCSC)
Tel:  1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833)
Internet:  uscis.gov

For questions about filing a Form I-600A or I-600 petition:
USCIS National Benefits Center
Tel: 1-877-424-8374 (toll free); 1-816-251-2770 (local)
Email:  NBC.Adoptions@uscis.dhs.gov

Reciprocity Schedule

Select a visa category below to find the visa issuance fee, number of entries, and validity period for visas issued to applicants from this country*/area of authority.

Explanation of Terms

Visa Classification: The type of nonimmigrant visa you are applying for.

Fee: The reciprocity fee, also known as the visa issuance fee, you must pay. This fee is in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee (MRV fee).

Number of Entries: The number of times you may seek entry into the United States with that visa. "M" means multiple times. If there is a number, such as "One", you may apply for entry one time with that visa.

Validity Period: This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used, from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel with that visa. If your Validity Period is 60 months, your visa will be valid for 60 months from the date it is issued.

Visa Classifications
Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 12 Months
A-2 None Multiple 12 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 12 Months
B-1 None Multiple 12 Months
B-2 None Multiple 12 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 12 Months
C-1 None Multiple 24 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 24 Months
C-2 None Multiple 24 Months
C-3 None Multiple 24 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 24 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 24 Months
D None Multiple 24 Months
E-1 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2C 12 None Multiple 24 Months
F-1 None Multiple 24 Months
F-2 None A Multiple 24 Months
G-1 None Multiple 12 Months
G-2 None Multiple 12 Months
G-3 None Multiple 12 Months
G-4 None Multiple 12 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 12 Months
H-1B $500.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
H-1C $500.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
H-2A $500.00 N/A N/A 3
H-2B $500.00 N/A N/A 3
H-2R $500.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
H-3 $500.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
H-4 None A Multiple 24 Months 3
I $500.00 A Multiple 24 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 24 Months
J-2 4 None A Multiple 24 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 $500.00 Multiple 24 Months
L-2 None A Multiple 24 Months
M-1 None Multiple 24 Months
M-2 None A Multiple 24 Months
N-8 None Multiple 12 Months
N-9 None Multiple 12 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 $500.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
O-2 $500.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
O-3 None A Multiple 24 Months 3
P-1 $500.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
P-2 $500.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
P-3 $500.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
P-4 None A Multiple 24 Months 3
Q-1 6 $500.00 Multiple 15 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 24 Months
R-2 None A Multiple 24 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 60 Months
V-2 None Multiple 60 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 60 Months 8
Country Specific Footnotes

No issuance fee for dependent applicants. This applies to F-2, H-4, I-2, J-2, L-2, M-2, O-3, P-4 and R-2 categories.

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.


Visa Category Footnotes
  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents

Please check back for update.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates


Birth Certificates

Available. Certificates of birth can be obtained from the Register General of Births and Deaths, P.O. Box 9183, Dar es Salaam, for births since April 1921. Registration 5 years or more after birth involves a lengthy process, at times including hearings. A nonresident may find this process extremely difficult.

Death Certificates

Available. (See Birth Certificate).

Zanzibar and Pemba

Birth Certificates

Available. Birth certificates are obtainable from the Registrar General of Births and Deaths, P.O. Box 260, Zanzibar.

Death Certificates

Available. Death certificate are obtainable from the Registrar General of Births and Deaths, P.O. Box 260, Zanzibar.

Marriage, Divorce Certificates


Marriage Certificates

Available. Marriage certificates can be obtained for all civil marriages and other marriages contracted after May 1971 (marriage not registered prior to 1971). Certificates are issued by the Registrar of Marriages, P.O. Box 9183, Dar es Salaam. For a marriage contracted under customary law prior to May 1971, the marriage certificate is obtainable from a church or religious institution. In cases where such a certificate is unavailable, the marriage can be registered with the Registrar of Marriages and a certificate obtained. Since it may not be possible for nonresidents to comply, an affidavit by two persons who witnessed the marriage may be accepted.

Divorce Certificates

Available. Certified copies of divorce decrees can be obtained from the Registrar, High Court, P.O. Box 9004, Dar es Salaam. For divorces prior to May 1971 and which took place outside the Courts under customary procedures, divorce certificates may be available from churches or communal organizations. In the absence of such a certificate, an affidavit by two persons who witnessed the divorce may be considered. Divorce certificate also issued by the Registrar of Marriages, P.O. Box 9183, Dar es Salaam.

Zanzibar and Pemba

Marriage Certificates

Available. Certificates of marriage can be obtained, from the Registrar General of Births and Deaths, P.O. Box 260, Zanzibar. However, since many Zanzibar Asians are registered only with their own religious community, the marriage certificate of the particular community is considered valid for legal purposes.

Divorce Certificates

Available. Divorce certificates are issued by the Registrar General of Births and Deaths, P.O. Box 260, Zanzibar.

Adoption Certificates

Available. Certificate of Adoption can be obtained from the Registrar of Births and Deaths, P.O. Box 9183, Dar es Salaam.

Identity Card

Certificate of Identity

Available. Certificates of identity are obtainable from the Principal Immigration Officer, P.O. Box 512, Dar es Salaam. This document is issued only to persons who are unable to obtain a passport.

Police, Court, Prison Records


Police Records

Available. To obtain a certificate of good conduct for mainland Tanzania, applicants residing outside of Tanzania must send a complete set of fingerprints, together with a written request to the following address:

Ministry of Home Affairs
Criminal Investigations Department
P.O. Box 9094
Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania

Submitted fingerprints should be taken by a local police official in the requestor's place of residence, and should bear an official stamp or seal. The official should verify the identity of the individual being fingerprinted with a passport or identification card, noting the details of the identifying document. The fee is U.S. $25.00 for a foreign national, or 2,000 Tanzanian shillings for a citizen of Tanzania.

Results are generally available within two weeks of application.

Police records for Zanzibar are separately maintained and must be requested from the following address:

Officer in Charge
Identification Bureau, Fingerprint Section
Police Force
Zanzibar, Tanzania

Fees and application requirements are identical to those for Mainland Tanzania, above.

Court and Prison Records

Available. A certified copy of a court record can be obtained from the court of primary jurisdiction. Prison records may be obtained from Mkuu Wa Gereza La Ukonga, P.O. Box 9091, Dar es Salaam, giving name, dates of imprisonment and name of jail.

Zanzibar and Pemba

Court and Prison Records


Military Records


Passports & Other Travel Documents

Travel Document issued by the Tanzanian Passport Office meets the requirements of INA 101(a)(30). The travel document has a hard dark green cover with two black diagonal lines across the upper left corner, is printed in both Swahili and English, and contains 36 pages. It is valid for two years and may be extended. It is issued solely to provide a travel document and does not affect the holder's nationality.

Other Records

Not applicable.

Visa Issuing Posts
Visa Services

All visa categories for all of Tanzania including Pemba and Zanzibar Islands.

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information

Washington, DC (202) 884-1080 (202) 939-6125/26/27(202) 797-7408

Assistance for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Embassy Dar Es Salaam
686 Old Bagamoyo Road,
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
+(255) 22-229-4122
+(255) 22-229-4000, dial '1' for an emergency operator
+(255) 22-229-4721
Tanzania Map

Learn about your destination
Additional Information for Reciprocity

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.