Consular Notification and Access


Contact Info for Foreign Embassies & Consulates



Exercise normal precautions in Mongolia. 

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.

Exercise normal precautions in Mongolia. 

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.

If you decide to travel to Mongolia:

Quick Facts

Six months from date of entry


One page per stamp


Not required for stays of fewer than 90 days. For stays of more than 30 days, register with Mongolian Immigration within seven days of arrival







Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Ulaanbaatar

Denver Street #3
11th Micro-District
Ulaanbaatar 14190
Telephone: +976-7007-6001
Emergency after-hours telephone: Please call the main Embassy switchboard at +976-7007-6001
Fax: +976-7007-6016

Destination Description

See the Department of State’s Fact Sheet on Mongolia for information on U.S.-Mongolia relations.

Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

Tourism & Business Travel: You do not need a visa if visiting for fewer than 90 days, but your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond your date of arrival. For stays for more than 30 days, register with Mongolian Immigration within seven days of arrival. Failure to register will result in a fine of $100-$300 – even if you extend your stay due to circumstances beyond your control. 

Work, Study, Reside: If you plan to visit, work, study, or reside in Mongolia for more than 90 days, apply for a visa at the Mongolian Embassy in Washington, DC, the Mongolian Consulate General in San Francisco, or the Mongolian Mission to the United Nations in New York

Overland Travel to/from China or Russia: If you plan travel overland to China or Russia, you should carefully research Chinese and Russian travel restrictions and obtain all required visas before coming to Mongolia. It has become increasingly difficult to obtain visas at the Chinese or Russian embassies in Ulaanbaatar.

Even with an onward visa, overland travel into and out of Mongolia is not always possible. Most of Mongolia’s overland border crossings are closed to foreign travelers. However, the country’s most widely used overland ports of entry and exit--the Zamiin Uud border crossing in the south and the Sukhbaatar/Altanbulag border crossing in the north--are always open to foreign travelers. See the Country Specific Information pages on China and Russia for additional information on the entry, exit, and transit requirements for those countries.

HIV/AIDS: Some HIV/AIDS entry restrictions exist for visitors to and foreign residents of Mongolia. Travelers with HIV/AIDS may be required to declare their status on a health declaration form and to present themselves to health control monitoring units at the border. Please verify this information with the Embassy of Mongolia before you travel.

Additional Information:

  • The Embassy of Mongolia is located at: 2833 M Street NW, Washington, DC 20007; telephone (202) 333-7117 and 202 333-7017; email
  • The Consulate General of Mongolia is located at: 465 California Street Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94104; telephone (415) 622-4000; email
  • The Permanent Mission of Mongolia to the United Nations is located at: 6 East 77th Street, New York, NY 10075; telephone (212) 861-9460; email

Find information on dual nationalityprevention of international child abduction and customs regulations on our websites.

Safety and Security

Mongolia is a relatively safe country for foreigners. However, both street crime and violent crime are on the rise, especially in the larger towns and cities. Crime typically peaks during the Naadam summer festival in July and during the Tsagaan Sar (Lunar New Year) festival in January or February.

  • Petty street crime such as pickpocketing and bag-snatching can occur at any time, especially in crowded places like open markets, train stations, and popular tourist attractions. Other street crime most often occurs late at night, often outside of bars and nightclubs. 
  • Muggings are on the rise. Muggings are most likely to occur if you are alone in unfamiliar urban neighborhoods after dark, or in unregistered taxis or private vehicles operating as taxis. Stick to well-lit and well-established tourist areas, and use radio taxis whenever possible.
  • Be cautious when approached by strangers, particularly late at night. Friendly locals may, for example, strike up a conversation, offer a beverage--which later causes loss of consciousness--and rob you.  
  • Be cautious at tourist sites. Female travelers should join larger tour groups when visiting monasteries and when patronizing ger camps. In 2016, we received three reports of sexual assault against foreign females who were visiting popular monasteries. In each case, a monk isolated the foreign tourist during her tour. We also received several reports of thieves entering the gers of female travelers late at night to steal valuables. One of these incidents also involved sexual assault. 
  • Unprovoked xenophobic attacks against foreigners also occur. The attackers often target Asian-Americans and interracial couples – particularly foreign men with Mongolian or other Asian women – for verbal or physical abuse. These assaults typically stem from incidents in bars and nightclubs, but can also be premeditated attacks by nationalist groups.  
  • Smuggling is prevalent across the Chinese and Russian borders. Be wary of other passengers requesting help with their luggage, which might contain illicit articles.
  • See the Department of State and the FBI pages for information on scams.

Victims of Crime:

Report crimes to the local police at 102 (the Mongolian equivalent of 911) and contact the U.S. Embassy at +976-7007-6001 or +976-9911-4168. The emergency ambulance number is 103.

Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting crimes.

Ulaanbaatar has no centralized crime reporting system. If victimized, you should report the crime to the police district having jurisdiction over the locale where the crime occurred. Before reporting a crime, however, you may wish to consult an attorney, since police have been known to aggressively question victims. You should consider the possibility that you will be required to remain in Mongolia for the duration of the ensuing police investigation and prosecution.

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • help you find appropriate medical care
  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • provide a list of local attorneys
  • provide our information on victim’s compensation programs in the U.S.
  • provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution
  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home
  • replace a stolen or lost passport

Domestic Violence:

U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the Embassy for assistance.

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned.

Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the United States, regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. See our webpage for further information.

Customs: Mongolian customs authorities strictly enforce laws regulating the import and export of firearms, ammunition, and antiquities. Import of firearms or ammunition requires prior government approval. Exporting antiquities requires a special customs clearance certificate issued by an authorized antique dealer at the time of purchase. For additional information, contact the Embassy of Mongolia.

Faith-Based Travelers: See our following webpages for details:

LGBTI Travelers: Mongolian law does not specifically prohibit consensual same-sex sexual conduct.  However, there is no law prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. The Mongolian National Human Rights Commission has reported that LGBTI individuals frequently face violence and discrimination based on their sexual orientation or gender identity. LGBTI persons also have reported harassment and surveillance by police. The Government of Mongolia does not recognize same-sex spouses for visa and residency purposes. See our LGBTI Travel Information and section 6 of our Human Rights report for further details.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance: Ulaanbaatar has textured sidewalks to aid visually impaired pedestrians, but numerous obstacles prevent persons with disabilities from moving freely. Government buildings and public transportation remain largely inaccessible to persons with disabilities. Mongolian elevators are often too small to accommodate a standard-sized wheelchair. Service animals are rare and are often barred from entering public buildings.

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Women Travelers: Domestic violence and sexual assault are serious problems in Mongolia. Many incidents involve alcohol. See the Safety & Security section above, as well as our travel tips for Women Travelers.


Most Mongolian hospitals do not meet Western standards. Although most doctors and emergency responders are dedicated and professional, their training and equipment are sub-standard. Most pharmaceuticals are made in China or Russia, and lack English labels. Modern medical facilities are heavily concentrated in Ulaanbaatar, although some public and private hospitals in larger provincial cities offer medical services on par with those in the capital. In the countryside, medical services are not available. See our list of medical facilities in Ulaanbaatar.

Air Pollution: Ulaanbaatar suffers from severe air pollution in the winter. The U.S. Embassy’s air quality monitor registered hourly Air Quality Indices (AQIs) in excess of 300 for 56 days during December 2016 and January 2017. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency describes AQIs above 300 as “hazardous” – anyone exposed to such heavily polluted air is likely to experience serious health effects. For reliable and timely air pollution readings, check the U.S. Embassy’s live air quality monitor.

We do not pay medical bills. Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas.

Medical Insurance: Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most care providers overseas only accept cash payments.  See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage.

We strongly recommend supplemental insurance to cover medical evacuation.

If traveling with prescription medication, check with the government of Mongolia to ensure the medication is legal. Always carry your prescription medication in original packaging with your doctor’s prescription.

The following diseases are prevalent:

  • Rabies
  • Plague
  • Meningococcal meningitis
  • Tuberculosis
  • Measles

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Further health information:

Travel and Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety: 

  • Operating a vehicle outside of Ulaanbaatar is unsafe, particularly after dark. Passing is difficult and dangerous. Outside of Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia has few paved roads and even fewer street lights. Most of the roads have only two lanes and no shoulders; most of the sealed roads need resurfacing. Trucks commonly carry overloaded cargo.

Mongolian motorists are aggressive, commonly cutting each other off, performing illegal turns, driving through red lights, and/or suddenly stopping in the middle of the road. Moreover, driving under the influence is common. Although Mongolia is a right-hand traffic country, more than half of all vehicles have the steering wheel on the right-hand side. Most motorcycle and moped drivers have limited experience sharing the road.

  • Driving off-road in Mongolia can be dangerous – especially without a knowledgeable Mongolian guide. Participants of the 2016 Mongol Rally reported that Mongolian roads and road conditions are the roughest of the entire 10,000-mile course. Those contemplating off-road driving in Mongolia should bring standard vehicle maintenance equipment, a good GPS unit, and a reliable satellite phone. Use extreme caution before driving off-road during the winter. Mongolia’s National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) regularly assists stuck vehicles. However, off-road rescue can take days given the remoteness and rough terrain, and few NEMA rescue crews speak English. Incidents of foreign motorists facing life-threatening situations after becoming stranded in remote locations without sufficient sources of food, water, and heat are common.

Traffic Laws:

  • To help reduce traffic and air pollution, police actively restrict certain license plate numbers from driving into downtown Ulaanbaatar on certain days of the week.
  • All foreign residents must carry a Mongolian driving permit. It is not legal to drive in Mongolia with a U.S. driver’s license. U.S. citizen tourists may legally drive in Mongolia for up to six months with a valid international driver’s license, but must have a Mongolian license thereafter. Automobile insurance is mandatory. For information concerning Mongolian driver’s licenses, vehicle inspection, road taxes, and vehicle insurance, contact the Embassy of Mongolia in Washington, DC.
  • If you are involved in a collision, never move your vehicle until after the police arrive to assess the scene-- even if your vehicle is blocking traffic. Moving your vehicle will incur an almost certain fine.

Public Transportation:

Metered taxis are available in Ulaanbaatar. Drive rental cars with caution; the safety and maintenance standards of rental car companies varies. Local tour companies can provide cars with drivers, but the drivers’ experience, knowledge, and English-speaking abilities will vary. Public transportation within the capital is widespread, cheap, and generally reliable, but also extremely crowded – be alert against pickpocketing.

Mongolia has more than 1,100 miles of train track, most of which runs from south to north along the Chinese and Russian borders. Buses share the country’s rough, remote roads with private automobiles and commercial trucks. 

For more information, please visit our Road Safety page. 

Aviation Safety Oversight: Due to limited road and rail infrastructure, air travel remains the easiest and fastest mode of travel. Mongolia has more than 40 airports. In addition, Ulaanbaatar’s new international airport is scheduled to open in 2018.

As there is no direct commercial air service to the United States by carriers registered in Mongolia, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has not assessed the government of Mongolia’s Civil Aviation Authority for compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards. Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page.

Hague Convention Participation
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention?
enter text here
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention?
enter text here
Learn why the Hague Abduction Convention Matters.
What You Can Do
Learn how to respond to abductions FROM the US
Learn how to respond to abductions TO the US
Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Ulaanbaatar

Denver Street #3
11th Micro-District
Ulaanbaatar 14190
Telephone: +976-7007-6001
Emergency after-hours telephone: Please call the main Embassy switchboard at +976-7007-6001
Fax: +976-7007-6016

General Information
enter link here
Hague Abduction Convention
enter text here
enter text here
enter text here
Retaining an Attorney
enter text here
enter text here

Exercising Custody Rights

While travelling in a foreign country, you are subject to the laws of that country. It is important for parents to understand that, although a left-behind parent in the United States may have custody or visitation rights pursuant to a U.S. custody order, that order may not be valid and enforceable in the country in which the child is located.  For this reason, we strongly encourage you to speak to a local attorney if planning to remove a child from a foreign country without the consent of the other parent.  Attempts to remove your child to the United States may:

  • Endanger your child and others;
  • Prejudice any future judicial efforts; and
  • Could result in your arrest and imprisonment.

The U.S. government cannot interfere with another country’s court or law enforcement system.

To understand the legal effect of a U.S. order in a foreign country, a parent should consult with a local attorney in the country in which the child is located.  

For information about hiring an attorney abroad, see our section on Retaining a Foreign Attorney. 

Although we cannot recommend an attorney to you, most U.S. Embassies have lists of attorneys available online. Please visit the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate website for a full listing.

For more information on consular assistance for U.S. citizens arrested abroad, please see our website.

Country officers are available to speak with you Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  For assistance with an abduction in progress or any emergency situation that occurs after normal business hours, on weekends, or federal holidays, please call toll free at 1-888-407-4747. See all contact information.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this flyer is provided for general information only, is not intended to be legal advice, and may change without notice. Questions involving interpretation of law should be addressed to an attorney licensed in the relevant jurisdiction. 


Hague Convention Participation
Hague Adoption Convention Country?
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

WARNING: Mongolia is party to the Hague Adoption Convention. Do not adopt or obtain legal custody of a child in Mongolia before a U.S. consular officer issues an "Article 5 Letter." See the "How to Adopt" section for more information. 

Mongolia is party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Inter-country Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention). Therefore all intercountry adoptions between Mongolia and the United States must meet the requirements of the Convention and U.S. implementing legislation, the Intercountry Act of 2000 (IAA); and the IAA implementing regulations. Currently, the Government of Mongolia is allowing American citizens who meet required eligibility requirements to also adopt locally. Please note that any child adopted locally (i.e. outside the Hague Adoption Convention process) is not immediately eligible for an immigrant visa and must qualify for an immigrant visa as the child of the American Citizen (IR-2). Additional information is available from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Additionally, the specific regulations regarding local adoptions by foreigners are unclear and the Government of Mongolia is currently working to clarify and revise these regulations as well as their adoption procedures generally. To adopt through the Hague Convention Process Do Not adopt or obtain legal custody of a child in Mongolia before a U.S. consular officer issues an "Article 5 Letter." 

The Mongolian and U.S. authorities involved in the adoption and immigration process review each case individually to ensure that the child and the prospective adoptive family have met both countries' legal requirements.

Note: Special transition provisions apply to adoptions initiated before April 1, 2008. Learn more.

Who Can Adopt

Intercountry adoptions between the United States and Mongolia are governed by the Hague Adoption Convention. Therefore to adopt from Mongolia, you must first be found eligible to adopt by the U.S. Government. The U.S. Government agency responsible for making this determination is the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) an agency of the Department of Homeland Security's. Learn more.

In addition to these U.S. requirements for prospective adoptive parents, Mongolia also has the following requirements for prospective adoptive parents:

  • RESIDENCY REQUIREMENTS: There are no residency requirements for prospective adoptive parents who apply through agencies authorized by the Mongolian Government.
  • AGE REQUIREMENTS: Prospective adoptive parents may be no more than 60 years of age.
  • MARRIAGE REQUIREMENTS: There are no marriage requirements for intercountry adoptions.
  • INCOME REQUIREMENTS: A certification on the living and financial ability of the applicant by the relevant authority of a respective state.
    • A medical certification regarding whether adopter has tuberculoses, AIDS, or mental disease
    • A certification regarding the place of permanent residence of the applicant by the relevant authority/ including the certification by a police authority.
    • Anyone who meets the criteria below is prohibited from adopting in Mongolia.
      • Individuals who have had their parental rights restricted, curtailed are prohibited from adopting in Mongolia.
      • Anyone who has returned an adopted child because his/her own fault.
      • Anyone who has been declared by a court decision as not having a full civil law capacity or has a restricted capacity.
      • Anyone who has tuberculoses or mental disease.
      • Anyone who habitually consumes alcoholic drinks or narcotic substances.
      • Anyone who has several criminal records or is currently imprisoned.

The Mongolian embassy in Washington, D.C., has a web page devoted to the eligibility requirements for adopting Mongolian children. American citizens considering adopting from Mongolia should visit the Embassy of Mangolia website.

Who Can Be Adopted

Because Mongolia is party to the Hague Adoption Convention, children from Mongolia must meet the requirements of the Convention in order to be eligible for adoption by U.S. prospective adoptive parents. For example, the Convention requires that Mongolia attempt to place a child with a family in-country before determining that a child is eligible for inter-country adoption. In addition to Mongolia's requirements, a child must meet the definition of a Convention adoptee for you to bring him or her back to the United States.



The consent of parents to give their child for adoption must be in writing and certified by a notary public. A child whose parents have given up parents rights may be eligible for adoption after six months from the date when the relinquishment was recognized by the courts.


Children 7 years of age and older must consent to the adoption; Adoption must be deemed in the best interests of the child.

How to Adopt


Ministry of Social Welfare and Labor of Mongolia (MSWL) and the Office of Immigration, Naturalization and Foreign Citizens 

Central Agency for International Adoption: Please note that adoptions in Mongolia require the consent of two separate agencies. The Ministry of Social Welfare and Labor has primary responsibility for placement and approval of adoptions generally. The Office of Immigration, Naturalization, and Foreign Citizens assists with all cases of international adoptions. Approval of both agencies is required before the adopted child can immigrate to the United States.

Ministry of Social Welfare and Labor of Mongolia (MSWL)
Mailing Address: United Nations Street 5, UB-46, Government Building No 2
Tel: 976-11-267635; Fax: 976-11-327635; Fax: 976-11-328634

Office of Immigration, Naturalization and Foreign Citizens, Ministry of Justice and Home Affairs
Mailing Address: Chinggis Avenue 11, Sukhbaatar District, Ulaanbaatar 210628
Tel: 976-7011-9588; Tel: 1882; Fax: 976-11-313259


Because Mongolia is party to the Hague Adoption Convention, adopting from Mongolia must follow a specific process designed to meet the Convention's requirements. A brief summary of the Convention adoption process is given below. You must complete these steps in the following order so that your adoption meets all necessary legal requirements.

NOTE: If you filed your I-600a with Mongolia before April 1, 2008, the Hague Adoption Convention may not apply to your adoption. Your adoption could continue to be processed in accordance with the immigration regulations for non-Convention adoptions. Learn more.

  1. Choose an Accredited Adoption Service Provider
  2. Apply to be Found Eligible to Adopt
  3. Be Matched with a Child
  4. Apply for the Child to be Found Eligible for Immigration to the United States
  5. Adopt the Child in Mongolia
  6. Bring your Child Home
  1. Choose an Accredited Adoption Service Provider:

    In general, the first step in adopting a child is to select an adoption service provider in the United States that has been accredited. Only these agencies and attorneys can provide adoption services between the United States and Mongolia.

    Please note: In addition to using a U.S. accredited or approved adoption service provider, prospective adoptive parents are required to work with an adoption agency that has also been approved by the Mongolian Government. Adoptive parents must use one of the Mongolian Government-approved adoption agencies listed here:

    Holt International
    250 Country Club Road
    Eugene, OR 97401

  2. Apply to be Found Eligible to Adopt:

    After you choose an accredited adoption service provider, you apply to be found eligible to adopt (Form I-800A) by the U.S. Government, Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Learn how.

    The first step for prospective adoptive parents is to apply to one of the Mongolian Government-approved U.S. adoption agencies for a home study. Once the U.S. Government determines that you are "eligible" and "suitable" to adopt your adoption service provider will gather all necessary documents and present them to the MSWL.

  3. Be Matched with a Child: 

    If both the United States and Mongolia determine that you are eligible to adopt, and a child is available for inter-country adoption, the central adoption authority in Mongolia may provide you with a referral for a child.

    Based on the home study, the MSWL will propose a child with whom to match the prospective parents. Each family must decide for itself whether or not it will be able to meet the needs of the particular child and provide a permanent family placement for the referred child.
  4. Apply for the Child to be Found Eligible for Adoption:

    After you accept a match with a child, you will apply to the U.S Government, Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for provisional approval to adopt that particular child (Form I-800). USCIS will determine whether the child is eligible under U.S. law to be adopted and enter the United States. Learn how.

    After this, your adoption service provider or you will submit a visa application for to a Consular Officer at the U.S. Embassy. The Consular Officer will review the child's information and evaluate the child for possible visa ineligibilities. If the Consular Office determines that the child appears eligible to immigrate to the United States, he/she will notify the Mongolia's adoption authority (Article 5 letter). For Convention country adoptions, prospective adoptive parent(s) may not proceed with the adoption or obtain custody for the purpose of adoption until this takes place. 

    Remember: The Consular Officer will make a final decision about the immigrant visa later in the adoption process.
  5. Adopt the Child (or Gain Legal Custody) in Mongolia:

    Remember: Before you adopt (or gain legal custody of) a child in Mongolia, you must have completed the above four steps. Only after completing these steps, can you proceed to finalize the adoption or grant of custody for the purposes of adoption in Mongolia. In order to finalize the adoption, at least one adopting parent must travel to Mongolia to execute the required documents in person before the appropriate Mongolian authorities. The process for finalizing the adoption (or gaining legal custody) in Mongolia generally includes the following:
    • ROLE OF THE ADOPTION AUTHORITY: The MSWL reviews the home study and matches a child with the prospective adoptive parents.
    • ROLE OF THE COURT: The Office of Immigration, naturalization and Foreign Citizens grants the final approval for the adoption.
    • ROLE OF ADOPTION AGENCIES: The adoption agency gathers documents from prospective parents and presents them to the MSWL. After a match has been made, the adoption agency then presents the documentation to the Office of Immigration, Naturalization and Foreign Citizens for final approval. This process normally takes approximately one month.
    • TIME FRAME: It is hard to predict how much time is required to complete an adoption in Mongolia. The time frames provided here are intended as guidelines only, and the specific circumstances of each case can significantly impact the length of the process.

      As of March 2007, adoption procedures take approximately twelve to eighteen months from the time all of the necessary paperwork is submitted to MSWL to the time the MSWL delivers it for final approval to the Office of Immigration, Naturalization and Foreign Citizens.

    • ADOPTION APPLICATION: The adoption agency submits the adoption application to the MSWL.
    • ADOPTION FEES: In the adoption services contract that you sign at the beginning of the adoption process, your agency should itemize the fees and estimated expenses related to your adoption process. Fees will vary.

      There are no Mongolian government fees for adoption. Prospective adoptive parents can expect to pay notary fees and/or fees for translation of documents.

    • DOCUMENTS REQUIRED: The following documents are required by the government of Mongolia:
      • Cover letter
      • Adoption application form
      • Identification documents
      • Passport copy- father, mother
      • Drivers license copy- father, mother
      • Marriage certificate copy
      • Copy of highest diploma - father, mother
      • Financial statement from Bank & Taxation office (received not later than 2 month before submission of application)
      • Medical documents
      • Medical report - father, mother (received not later than 2 month before application)
      • Medical analysis on HIV/AIDS
      • Police clearance document
      • I-800 approval notification
      • Police clearance (received not later than 2 month before submission application)
      • Court decision on permission to adopt (if any)
      • Home study document
      • Home study 6-8 pages (as much as possible specific)
      • Home study Agency or Social worker License
      • Legal and parent commitment document
      • Letter from Adoption agency to the MSWL
      • Copy of Accreditation from Central authority or State to work in Mongolia
      • MOU with the Ministry of Social Welfare (if any)
      • License of Adoption Agency (valid)
      • Letter from Parents to the Agency Requesting Authorization to adopt
      • Photos of family & home

      NOTE: Additional documents may be requested. If you are asked to provide proof that a document from the United States is authentic, we can help. Learn how

  6. Bring Your Child Home Now that your adoption is complete (or you have obtained legal custody of the child), there are a few more steps to take before you can head home. Specifically, you need to apply for three documents for your child before he or she can travel to the United States:

    • Birth Certificate 
      You will first need to apply for a new birth certificate for your child, so that you can later apply for a passport. Parents who have adopted a child must register their adoption to the State and Civil Registration and Information Center (SCRIC), which then issues a birth certificate and adoption decree. The parent must be present at the registration. Your name will be added to the new birth certificate.

    • Mongolian Passport

      Your child is not yet a U.S. citizen, so he/she will need a Passport from Mongolia.

    • U.S. Immigrant Visa

      After you obtain the new birth certificate and passport for your child, you also need to apply for a U.S. visa from the United States Embassy for your child. After the adoption (or custody for purpose of adoption) is granted, visit the U.S Embassy for final review and approval of the child's I-800 petition and to obtain a visa for the child. This immigrant visa allows your child to travel home with you. As part of this process, the consular officer must be provided the "Panel Physician's" medical report on the child if it was not provided during the provisional approval stage.

      The U.S. Embassy in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, does process U.S. immigrant visas.


For adoptions finalized abroad: The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 allows your child to acquire American citizenship when he or she enters the United States as lawful permanent residents.

For adoptions to be finalized in the United States: The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 allows your child to typically acquire American citizenship when the U.S. state court issues the final adoption decree. We urge your family to finalize the adoption in a U.S. State court as quickly as possible.

*Please be aware that if your child did not qualify to become a citizen upon entry to the United States, it is very important that you take the steps necessary so that your child does qualify as soon as possible. Failure to obtain citizenship for your child can impact many areas of his/her life including family travel, eligibility for education and education grants, and voting.

Learn more about the Child Citizenship Act.

Traveling Abroad


A valid U.S. passport is required to enter and leave Mongolia. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. passports.

Getting or renewing a passport is easy. The Passport Application Wizard will help you determine which passport form you need, help you to complete the form online, estimate your payment, and generate the form for you to print-all in one place.


In addition to a U.S. passport, you also need to obtain a visa. A visa is an official document issued by a foreign country that formally allows you to visit. Where required, visas are attached to your passport and allow you to enter a foreign nation.

To find information about obtaining a visa for Mongolia, see the Department of State's Country Specific Information.


Before you travel, it's always a good practice to investigate the local conditions, laws, political landscape, and culture of the country. The State Department is a good place to start.

The Department of State provides Country Specific Information for every country of the world about various issues, including the health conditions, crime, unusual currency or entry requirements, and any areas of instability.


When traveling during the adoption process, we encourage you to register your trip with the Department of State. Travel registration makes it possible to contact you if necessary. Whether there's a family emergency in the United States, or a crisis in Mongolia, registration assists the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in reaching you.

Registration is free and can be done online.

After Adoption

What does Mongolia require of the adoptive parents after the adoption?

A report and information on the child's development (pictures, videos, etc.) made by the social worker appointed by the relevant authority shall be submitted:

  • For children 1 month to 3 years old - once every half year;
  • For children 4 to 8 years old - once every year;
  • For children 8 to 16 years old - once every two years.

The adoption agency is responsible for translation of the reports into Mongolian and their delivery to the Immigration Agency. In necessary cases the Immigration Agency shall visit the adopted children at the expense of adopted parents and adoption agency in order to meet with the child and examine his/her conditions.

According to Mongolian regulations, adoptive parents have a responsibility to introduce the child to Mongolian culture.

We strongly urge you to comply with the wish of Mongolia and complete all post-adoption requirements in a timely manner. Your adoption agency may be able to help you with this process. Your cooperation will contribute to that country's history of positive experiences with American parents.

What resources are available to assist families after the adoption? 

Many adoptive parents find it important to find support after the adoption. Take advantage of all the resources available to your family -- whether it's another adoptive family, a support group, an advocacy organization, or your religious or community services.

Here are some good places to start your support group search:

Note: Inclusion of non-U.S. government links does not imply endorsement of contents.

Contact Information

U.S. Embassy in Mongolia 
11 Micro District
Big Ring Road, POB 1021
Ulaanbaatar-13, Mongolia

Mongolia's Adoption Authority 

Ministry of Social Welfare and Labor of Mongolia (MSWL)
United Nations Street 5
Government Building No 2
Ministry of Social Welfare and Labor
Tel: 976-11-267635
Fax: 976-11-327635
Fax: 976-11-328634

Office of Immigration, Naturalization and Foreign Citizens, Ministry of Justice and Home Affairs
Chinggis Avenue 11
Sukhbaatar District, Ulaanbaatar 210628
Ms. Purevee Bolormaa
Tel: 976-11-319588; 976-11-315323
Fax: 976-11-313259

Embassy of Mongolia 
2833 M Street, N.W.
Washington D.C. 20007

Permanent Mission of Mongolia to the United Nations in New York

6 East 77th Street,
New York, N.Y. 10021

Office of Children's Issues
U.S. Department of State  
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Tel: 1-888-407-4747
E-mail: or

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) 

For questions about immigration procedures, call the National Customer Service Center (NCSC)

1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833).

Reciprocity Schedule

Select a visa category below to find the visa issuance fee, number of entries, and validity period for visas issued to applicants from this country*/area of authority.

Explanation of Terms

Visa Classification: The type of nonimmigrant visa you are applying for.

Fee: The reciprocity fee, also known as the visa issuance fee, you must pay. This fee is in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee (MRV fee).

Number of Entries: The number of times you may seek entry into the United States with that visa. "M" means multiple times. If there is a number, such as "One", you may apply for entry one time with that visa.

Validity Period: This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used, from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel with that visa. If your Validity Period is 60 months, your visa will be valid for 60 months from the date it is issued.

Visa Classifications
Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 36 Months
A-2 None Multiple 36 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 24 Months
B-1 None Multiple 120 Months
B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
C-1 None Multiple 12 Months
C-1/D N/A N/A N/A
C-2 None Multiple 12 Months
C-3 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 36 Months
E-1 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2 2 None Multiple 36 Months
E-2C 12 None Multiple 36 Months
F-1 None Multiple 60 Months
F-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-1 None Multiple 36 Months
G-2 None Multiple 36 Months
G-3 None Multiple 36 Months
G-4 None Multiple 36 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 24 Months
H-1B None Multiple 36 Months 3
H-1C None Multiple 36 Months 3
H-2A None N/A N/A 3
H-2B None N/A N/A 3
H-2R None Multiple 36 Months 3
H-3 None Multiple 36 Months 3
H-4 None Multiple 36 Months 3
I None Multiple 36 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 36 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 36 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Multiple 36 Months
L-2 None Multiple 36 Months
M-1 None Multiple 36 Months
M-2 None Multiple 36 Months
N-8 None Multiple 36 Months
N-9 None Multiple 36 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 None Multiple 36 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 36 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 36 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 36 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 36 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 36 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 36 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 15 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 36 Months
R-2 None Multiple 36 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None One 1 Month
U-2 None One 1 Month
U-3 None One 1 Month
U-4 None One 1 Month
U-5 None One 1 Month
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8
Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes
  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents

Mongolian civil documents are unavailable to non-Mongolians and to Mongolians abroad who are not in possession of valid, unexpired Mongolian travel documents.

Mongolian citizens legally outside Mongolia, i.e., those who bear valid, unexpired Mongolian travel documents, often bear a birth certificate endorsed by a Mongolian diplomatic or consular mission. Since the applicant supplies the information on the certificate, such documentation is of questionable value.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates

Birth Certificates

Available to Mongolian citizens present in Mongolia. They can be applied for by mail from the Civil Registration Office in the country (Sum) or municipality (Hot) of birth. As birth records before 1961 are incomplete, the Peoples Passport, a standard identity card, is acceptable in place of a birth certificate for all citizens born before 1961.

Death Certificates

Available. See Birth Certificate.

Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Available to Mongolian citizens present in Mongolia. They can be obtained from the Marriage Registration Office where the original action was registered.

Adoption Certificates

Please check back for update

Identity Card

Please check back for update

Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Records


Court Records


Prison Records

Available. Criminal records/certificates provide information on previous fines, arrests, or sentencing. Official requests for criminal records may be done through the Regional Security Officer and take approximately one to three days. A private request may be done through the General Police Department. The cost is MNT 500-1000 and a civil ID or passport for foreigners must be provided.

Military Records

Available. Mongolian citizens who have completed military service are issued a Certificate of Service, replacements for which are issued by the Ministry of Defense to Mongolians present in Mongolia.

Passports & Other Travel Documents

Please check back for update

Other Records

Not applicable

Visa Issuing Posts

Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia (Embassy) -- All Visa Categories

Street Address

US Embassy
Big Ring Road,
11th Microdistrict, Sukhbaatar District,
Ulaanbaatar-13 POB 1021,
14171, Mongolia

Pouch Address

4410 Ulaanbaatar Pl
Washington DC 20521-4410

Tel: +976 (11) 329-095
Fax: +976 (11) 353-788

Visa Services

All visa categories for all of Mongolia.

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information

Washington, DC (202) 333-7117 (202) 333-7017 (202) 298-9227

New York, NY (212) 861-9460 (212) 472-6517 (212) 861-9464

San Francisco, CA (415) 622-4000 (415) 622-3000

Assistance for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Embassy Ulaanbaatar
Denver Street #3
11th Micro-District
Ulaanbaatar 14190
Mongolia Map

Learn about your destination
Additional Information for Reciprocity

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.