Emergency Alert
September 17, 2017
Hurricanes Irma and Jose
Emergency Alert
October 2, 2017
Hurricane Maria

Consular Notification and Access


Contact Info for Foreign Embassies & Consulates


Czech Republic
Czech Republic
Quick Facts

Six months recommended, Three months beyond departure date from the Schengen area


2 pages required.


Not required for stays less than 90 days.




€10,000+ euros or equivalent must be declared.


€10,000+ euros or equivalent must be declared.

Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Prague

Tržiště 15
118 01 Praha 1 - Malá Strana
Czech Republic

Telephone: +(420) 257-022-000

Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(420) 257-022-000

Fax: +(420) 257-022-809

Destination Description

See the Department of State’s Fact Sheet on the Czech Republic for information on U.S.-Czech Republic relations.

Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

The Czech Republic (official short name:  Czechia) is a party to the Schengen Agreement.  Visit the Embassy of the Czech Republic’s website for the most current visa and entry requirement information and its FAQ section on Schengen visas.

  • Passports should be valid for at least 3 months beyond your stay to avoid difficulties entering and traveling within the Schengen zone.  For additional details about travel into and within Schengen countries, please see our Schengen fact sheet.
  • You may enter the Czech Republic for up to 90 days for tourist or business purposes without a visa.
  • You will need a visa for longer stays or to work or study in the Czech Republic.  When a visa is required, submit your application to the nearest Czech diplomatic mission at least 3-4 months in advance of traveling to the Czech Republic.
  • The Czech Government requires travelers to show proof of sufficient finances to cover the cost of a traveler’s stay.
  • You must also carry proof of a valid medical insurance policy contracted for payment of all costs for hospitalization and medical treatment while in the Czech Republic.

HIV/AIDS RESTRICTIONS.  The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of the Czech Republic. 

Information about dual nationality or the prevention of international child abduction can be found on our website.  For further information about customs regulations, please read our customs information page

Safety and Security

Credible information indicates terrorist groups continue plotting possible attacks in Europe.  European governments are taking action to guard against terrorist attacks; however, all European countries remain potentially vulnerable to attacks from transnational terrorist organizations. 

Strikes and Demonstrations do occur in the Czech Republic, authorities are generally well-prepared and handle disruptions in a professional manner.  Protect your security, avoid demonstrations whenever possible, and bear in mind that even demonstrations intended to be peaceful may turn violent.

Crime: The Czech Republic generally has little crime. However, you should still take precautions against becoming a victim of crime.

Emergencies:  dial 112
Police:  dial 158
Firefighters:  dial 150
Rescue and First Aid:  dial 155

  • Pick-pocketing is problematic, especially in major tourist areas in Prague.  Criminals operate in professional, highly organized groups and may be armed with simple weapons, so avoid direct confrontation.  Do not leave your belongings unattended.  High-risk areas include:
    • public transportation,
    • the city center,
    • crowded areas, and outdoor cafes.
  • Victims of sexual assault report being drugged by rohypnol and other “date rape” type drugs.  
  • Use caution when accepting open drinks at bars or clubs, and do not leave drinks unattended.
  • Pedestrian traffic violations, such as jaywalking, are frequently enforced in Prague’s city center.  Discretionary fines of up to 2000 Czech crowns (about $82) may be applied.  Refusal to pay may lead to a court procedure and an even higher fine.  Streetcars have the right of way over pedestrians at crosswalks.
  • Casinos and gaming establishments are government-regulated, but some have been affiliated with, or attracted the interest of, organized crime.
  • Conduct currency exchanges at reputable banks or legitimate money kiosks.  An offer to exchange currency by an unknown person on the street is most likely a scam.
  • ATMs are widely available throughout major cities.  Criminal organizations have used electronic “skimming” to steal card information and PIN numbers at some ATMs.  Use ATMs at secure, monitored locations (commercial banks, large hotels, and the airport).
  • Auto thefts and break-ins are common in the Czech Republic, especially in major cities.  Use parking garages and anti-theft devices.  Don’t leave valuables in plain sight inside vehicles, as this significantly increases the possibility of theft.
  • Overcharging scams persist.  Verify charges paid with credit card are correct before signing for purchases, keep all receipts, and check your credit card accounts online to ensure correct billing.

See the Department of State and FBI pages for information on scams.

Victims of Crime:  Report crimes to the local police by dialing 112, and contact the U.S. Embassy 24/7 at +(420) 257-022-000.  Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting the crime. 

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • Help you find appropriate medical care
  • Assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • Contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • Explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • Provide a list of local attorneys
  • Provide information on victim’s compensation programs in the United States
  • Local resources available to victims of crime can be found at: Bilý Kruh Bezpečí (White Circle of Safety)
  • Provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution
  • Help you find accommodation and arrange flights home
  • Replace a stolen or lost passport.

Domestic Violence:  U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the Embassy for assistance.

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties:  You are subject to local laws.  If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned.  Your U.S. passport won’t help you avoid arrest or prosecution.

Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the United States, regardless of local law.  For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.


  • Keep a copy of your passport bio data page (and pages with valid visas) in a safe place separate from the passport itself.  Ensure the security of your passport to prevent incidents of pick-pocketing or theft. 
  • Carry your passport at all times.  Czech Police, customs, or immigration officials can request to see your passport at any time.  You may be fined if you fail to produce your passport you may be fined. 
  • Czech customs authorities enforce strict regulations concerning temporary import or export of items such as firearms, antiquities, medications, business equipment, etc.  Contact the Embassy of the Czech Republic in Washington, D.C., for further customs guidance.  The U.S. Embassy cannot help clear goods through Czech Customs.

Arrest Notification:  If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately.  See our webpage for further information.

  • The sale, possession,  or use of illicit drugs is against the law in the Czech Republic.
  • The Czech Republic has a strictly enforced, zero-tolerance policy for drinking and driving.
  • Local police can require you to produce identification to establish your identity upon request and submit you to further questioning.

Faith-Based Travelers:  See the Department of State’s International Religious Freedom Report.

LGBTI Travelers:  There are no legal restrictions on same-sex sexual relations or the organization of LGBTI events in Czech Republic.  Outside of Prague, particularly in small towns, such relations or events are less accepted.  LGBT travelers should use discretion when traveling in these areas.  See our LGBTI travel information page and section six of the Department of State's Human Rights Report for further details.

Persons with Mobility Issues.  While in the Czech Republic, individuals may find accessibility and accommodation very different from what you find in the United States.  The law prohibits discrimination against persons with disabilities in employment, education, access to health care, and the provision of other state services.  The government generally enforces these provisions.

  • Many buses and streetcars—especially in Prague—are configured for special needs access.
  • 72 percent of Prague's metro stations are accessible to persons with disabilities, and work to expand barrier-free access is ongoing.
  • Taxi services for persons with limited mobility exist.  There are several companies offering such services in Prague, and some service areas outside Prague.
  • Much of the center of Prague, most interesting to tourists, was built centuries ago with narrow cobblestone streets that may make accessibility difficult or impossible.
  • Accessibility outside of Prague is generally less available.

Students:  See our students abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Women Travelers:  While the incidence of sexual assault is statistically low, attacks do occur. 

  • Be aware of “date-rape” drugs, including GHB and liquid ecstasy. 
  • Be cautious in bars and clubs where alcohol is served.  Leaving your drink unattended or accepting a drink from a stranger can lead to serious consequences.

See our travel tips for women travelers.


Prague has adequate Western-style medical clinics with English-speaking doctors and dentists, but its system is organized differently than in the United States.  Though central emergency rooms exist in most hospitals, patients are often sent to a specialty clinic to treat specific medical conditions.  Family practices like those in the United States are mostly in larger cities.

  • All major hospitals accept credit cards or cash as a method of payment.  Private specialists usually expect cash, though some private facilities accept credit cards.
  • Ambulance services are on par with those in the United States.  Response time is usually less than 15 minutes.  Ambulance companies generally expect payment at the time of service.
  • If you plan to camp or hike in long grass or woodlands from March to October, you run the risk of both tick-borne encephalitis and Lyme disease.  While there is a vaccine for encephalitis, no vaccine exists for Lyme disease.  Use insect repellent and proper clothing as extra protection.
  • U.S. living wills stipulating no exceptional interventions to prolong life are not honored in the Czech Republic due to laws against euthanasia.

General suggestions and information:

  • Obtain supplemental insurance to cover medical evacuation.
  • The U.S. Government does not pay medical bills.  Medicare does not apply overseas.
  • Carry prescription medication in original packaging, along with your doctor’s prescription. 
  • Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas.  You must have sufficient health insurance to enter Schengen countries.  See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage
  • Be up to date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

For further health information, go to:

Travel and Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety:  We strongly recommend that you familiarize yourself with both the basic and in-depth road rules of the Czech Republic to avoid fines, detention, or potential imprisonment.

  • On two-lane roads and in small towns, drivers will encounter uneven surfaces, roads in poor condition, irregular lane markings, and unclear sign placements.
  • Pay special attention when driving on cobblestones and among streetcars in historic city centers, especially in wet or icy conditions.
  • U.S. citizens have reported instances of motorists “broken down” on highway shoulders waving at drivers for assistance then asking for money after someone stops to help.  This is frequently a means to initiate a scam.

Traffic Laws

  • An International Driving Permit (IDP), available from AAA in the United States only, must accompany a U.S. driver’s license.  Failure to have the IDP with a valid license may result in denial of an insurance claim after an accident.
  • There is a zero-tolerance policy for driving under the influence of alcohol.  Police can use breathalyzers on drivers stopped for any reason.  Driving with any detected alcohol in the body, however slight, is illegal and usually leads to immediate fines and possible criminal proceedings. 
  • Czech law requires the use of headlights at all times.
  • Traffic signals are positioned before intersections.
  • A toll sticker is required for all cars to drive legally on major highways.  For more information, visit the official Czech highway toll website.
  • All private cars, including those of foreign visitors, must carry extensive additional safety gear, including reflective jackets, triangles, and a first aid kit.
  • Using hand-held cell phones while driving is prohibited.
  • Streetcars always have the right of way over other vehicles and pedestrians, including at crosswalks.

Public Transportation:  Public transportation in the Czech Republic is generally very good.  There are extensive intercity train and bus networks, and larger cities have high-quality urban mass transit systems.  Information on tickets and pricing within Prague can be found here.

  • Passengers on public transportation must buy a ticket prior to boarding to avoid being fined.  Tickets must be validated at the outset of the trip by inserting it into the yellow box found on trams and buses and in the entry halls of Metro stations.
  • In Prague, tickets can be purchased at newspaper stands and post offices and from vending machines at all metro stations and at major tram stops.  Tickets are also available by text message on a mobile phone, but the traveler must have received the reply message with the ticket before entering a tram, bus, or metro station.
  • Travelers may encounter plain-clothes ticket inspectors wearing small metal badges with “Přepravní Kontrola” on them at any time.  Fines for failure to have a validated ticket range from 50 to 1500 CZK.  In Prague, the usual fine is 800 CZK if paid on the spot or within 15 days.  Inspectors should provide a receipt for on-the-spot payments.
  • Streetcars always have the right of way over pedestrians, including at crosswalks.
  • Legitimate taxis are clearly marked, and the Embassy strongly recommends calling for a taxi rather than hailing one on the street.  If calling is not possible, visitors should get taxis at clearly marked “Fair Place” stands.  The potential for substantial overcharging in taxis exists, particularly in tourist areas.  Agree on a price in advance or ensure the driver is using the meter.

Please refer to our road safety page for more information.  Also, we suggest that you visit the website of the Czech Republic’s national tourist office and the Ministry of Transport.

Aviation Safety Oversight:  The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has assessed the Government of Czech Republic’s Civil Aviation Authority as being in compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards for oversight of the Czech Republic’s air carrier operations.  Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page.

Hague Convention Participation
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention?
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention?
What You Can Do
Learn how to respond to abductions FROM the US
Learn how to respond to abductions TO the US
Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Prague

Tržiště 15
118 01 Praha 1 - Malá Strana
Czech Republic

Telephone: +(420) 257-022-000

Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(420) 257-022-000

Fax: +(420) 257-022-809

General Information

Czech Republic and the United States have been treaty partners under the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention) since March 1, 1998.

For information concerning travel to Czech Republic, including information about the location of the U.S. Embassy, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for Czech Republic.

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on International Parental Child Abduction (IPCA).  The report is located here.


Hague Abduction Convention

The U.S. Department of State serves as the U.S. Central Authority (USCA) for the Hague Abduction Convention.  In this capacity, the Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizens Services, Office of Children’s Issues facilitates the submission of applications under the Hague Abduction Convention for the return of, or access to, children located in countries that are U.S. treaty partners, including Czech Republic.  Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance prior to initiating the Hague process directly with the foreign Central Authority.

Contact information:

United States Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs
Office of Children’s Issues
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Telephone:  1-888-407-4747
Outside the United States or Canada: 1-202-501-4444
Fax: 202-485-6221

The Czech Central Authority for the Hague Abduction Convention is the Office for International Legal Protection of Children.  The Office for International Legal Protection of Children discharges the obligations of a central authority under the Hague Abduction Convention, including reviewing Hague applications for completeness, initiating location efforts for missing children, and approaching taking parties about whether or not abduction situations may be resolved voluntarily.  The Czech Central Authority (CCA) can be reached at:

Úrad pro mezinárodni právní ochranu detí
(Office for International Legal Protection of Children)
Silingrovo namestí 3/4
60200 BRNO
Czech Republic
Telephone: +420 (5) 4221 5522
Fax: +420 (5) 4221 2836

To initiate a Hague case for return of, or access to, a child in Czech Republic, the USCA encourages a parent or legal guardian to review the eligibility criteria and instructions for completing the Hague application form located at a the Department of State website and contact the Department of State for assistance prior to initiating the Hague process directly with the foreign Central Authority.  The USCA is available to answer questions about the Hague application process, to forward a completed application to the CCA, and to subsequently monitor its progress through the foreign administrative and legal processes.  It is extremely important that each document written in English be translated into Czech prior to court proceedings commencing.  Please note, however, that certified translations are not necessary.  Any competent person or organization may translate the documents.  

There are not fees for filing Hague applications with either the U.S. or Czech central authorities.  Attorney fees, if necessary, are the responsibility of the applicant parent or legal guardian.  The Czech court does not automatically provide free or reduced fee legal representation for applicant parents or legal guardians; however, parents or legal guardians may apply for financial assistance based on their income and assets.  Additional costs may include airplane tickets for court appearances and for the return of the child, if so ordered.


A parent or legal guardian may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for return to the United States of a child abducted to, or wrongfully retained in, Czech Republic.  The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand whether the Convention is an available civil remedy and can provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.


A person may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for access to a child living in Czech Republic.  The criteria for acceptance of a Hague access application vary from country to country.  The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand country-specific criteria and provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.

Retaining an Attorney

The Czech system does not require parents to retain a private attorney in order to file a Hague Abduction Convention application with a court; however, the CCA recommends that parents have legal representation. Parents may hire a private attorney to assist them with their case and to advise them as to the best course of action for their individual circumstances. A privately hired attorney should contact the CCA and the USCA as soon as possible after the CCA receives the Hague Abduction Convention application. The CCA can provide referrals to assist applicants to find a private attorney or the applicants may represent themselves. The CCA’s role is not to assign attorneys to cases but to facilitate the Hague process until such time as an attorney submits the Hague petition to the Czech court. 

The U.S. Embassy in Prague, Czech Republic, posts a list of attorneys, including those who specialize in family law.

This list is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the persons or firms included in this list. Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the lawyers.


Mediation may be available for both abduction and access cases. The CCA offers mediation services directly, in English, at no cost to parents. The CCA also provides referrals to private and non-governmental organizations that offer mediation services. Mediation in Czech Republic is voluntary and can occur at any stage of the Hague process.

Exercising Custody Rights

While travelling in a foreign country, you are subject to the laws of that country. It is important for parents to understand that, although a left-behind parent in the United States may have custody or visitation rights pursuant to a U.S. custody order, that order may not be valid and enforceable in the country in which the child is located.  For this reason, we strongly encourage you to speak to a local attorney if planning to remove a child from a foreign country without the consent of the other parent.  Attempts to remove your child to the United States may:

  • Endanger your child and others;
  • Prejudice any future judicial efforts; and
  • Could result in your arrest and imprisonment.

The U.S. government cannot interfere with another country’s court or law enforcement system.

To understand the legal effect of a U.S. order in a foreign country, a parent should consult with a local attorney in the country in which the child is located.  

For information about hiring an attorney abroad, see our section on Retaining a Foreign Attorney. 

Although we cannot recommend an attorney to you, most U.S. Embassies have lists of attorneys available online. Please visit the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate website for a full listing.

For more information on consular assistance for U.S. citizens arrested abroad, please see our website.

Country officers are available to speak with you Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  For assistance with an abduction in progress or any emergency situation that occurs after normal business hours, on weekends, or federal holidays, please call toll free at 1-888-407-4747. See all contact information.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this flyer is provided for general information only, is not intended to be legal advice, and may change without notice. Questions involving interpretation of law should be addressed to an attorney licensed in the relevant jurisdiction. 


Hague Convention Participation
Hague Adoption Convention Country?
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

The Czech Republic is party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention). Intercountry adoption processing in Hague countries is done in accordance with the requirements of the Convention; the U.S. implementing legislation, the Intercountry Adoption Act of 2000 (IAA); and the IAA’s implementing regulations, as well as the implementing legislation and regulations of the Czech Republic.

Please find below information that the Department has obtained from the adoption authority of Czech Republic. U.S. citizens interested in adopting children from the Czech Republic should contact the Central Authority of the Czech Republic to inquire about applicable laws and procedures. U.S. citizen prospective adoptive parents living in the Czech Republic who would like to adopt a child from the United States or from a third country should also contact the Czech Republic’s Central Authority.  See contact information below.

Please visit the Department’s Country Specific Information for more information on travelling to the Czech Republic and the U.S. Embassy in Prague’s website for information on consular services.

Please note: The consular officer will send a letter (referred to as an “Article 5 Letter”) to the Czech Republic Central Authority regarding any intercountry adoption involving U.S. citizen parents and a child from the Czech Republic; in cases where all Convention requirements are met and the consular officer determines that the child appears eligible to immigrate to the United States. This letter will inform the Czech Republic’s Central Authority that the parents are eligible and suited to adopt, that all indications are that the child may enter and reside permanently in the United States, and that the U.S. Central Authority agrees that the adoption may proceed further.

Do not attempt to adopt or obtain custody of a child in the Czech Republic before a U.S. consular officer issues the Article 5 Letter in any adoption case.

Remember: The consular officer will make a final decision about a child’s eligibility for an immigrant visa later in the adoption process.

Who Can Adopt
enter text here
Who Can Be Adopted
enter text here
How to Adopt
enter text here
Traveling Abroad
enter text here
After Adoption
enter text here
Contact Information

Czech Republic’s Adoption Authority

Úrad pro mezinárodne právní ochranu detí
(Office for International Legal Protection of Children)

Silingrovo namestí 3/4
60200 BRNO
Czech Republic
tel. & fax: +420 (5) 4221 2836
Internet: www.umpod.cz

Dr. Marketa Novakova

Deputy Director
Office for International Legal Protection of Children
Brno, Czech Republic
Tel: +420 542 215 443
E-mail address:  marketa.novakova@umpod.cz

Reciprocity Schedule

Select a visa category below to find the visa issuance fee, number of entries, and validity period for visas issued to applicants from this country*/area of authority.

Explanation of Terms

Visa Classification: The type of nonimmigrant visa you are applying for.

Fee: The reciprocity fee, also known as the visa issuance fee, you must pay. This fee is in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee (MRV fee).

Number of Entries: The number of times you may seek entry into the United States with that visa. "M" means multiple times. If there is a number, such as "One", you may apply for entry one time with that visa.

Validity Period: This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used, from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel with that visa. If your Validity Period is 60 months, your visa will be valid for 60 months from the date it is issued.

Visa Classifications
Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 60 Months
A-2 None Multiple 60 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 24 Months
B-1 None Multiple 120 Months
B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
C-1 None Multiple 60 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 60 Months
C-2 None Multiple 60 Months
C-3 None Multiple 60 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 60 Months
E-1 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2 2 $22.00 Multiple 60 Months
E-2C 12 None Multiple 24 Months
F-1 None Multiple 60 Months
F-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-1 None Multiple 60 Months
G-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-3 None Multiple 60 Months
G-4 None Multiple 60 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 24 Months
H-1B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-1C None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2A None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2R None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
I None Multiple 60 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 60 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 60 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Multiple 60 Months
L-2 None Multiple 60 Months
M-1 None Multiple 60 Months
M-2 None Multiple 60 Months
N-8 None Multiple 60 Months
N-9 None Multiple 60 Months
NATO 1-6 10 None Multiple 60 Months
NATO-7 None Multiple 24 Months
O-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 15 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 60 Months
R-2 None Multiple 60 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8
Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes
  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents

Persons not physically in the Czech Republic may apply for the required documents through Czech diplomatic or consular representatives abroad. Application may also be made through the applicant's diplomatic representative in Prague. There is a fee for the documents. In case the document needs to be "authenticated", an apostille can be attached by the Czech Ministry of Justice for an additional fee. The application in this case must be made on a form prescribed by the Czech authorities and obtainable from the diplomatic representative. Six weeks to 3 months are normally required to obtain public documents after the application has been submitted.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates


Available. The certificates of birth, marriage or death are issued by the local town hall in the place of birth, marriage or death.


Available. The certificates of birth, marriage or death are issued by the local town hall in the place of birth, marriage or death.

Marriage, Divorce Certificates


Available. The certificates of birth, marriage or death are issued by the local town hall in the place of birth, marriage or death.


Available. Each party to a divorce suit that has taken place before Czech Republic courts may apply for an additional copy of the divorce decree. The original decree is normally delivered to each party provided the address is known. Additional copies of divorce decrees are subject to fees, according to the Table of Fees of the Minister of Finance, No. 549/1991, Collection of Laws, item 3, 4.

Adoption Certificates


Identity Card


Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Records

Available. An extract of the Criminal Register is issued in lieu of a police or prison record to all persons 15 years of age or over. The nature of the conviction is listed as a citation of the pertinent section of the penal code only.

Court Records

Available. An extract of the Criminal Register is issued in lieu of a police or prison record to all persons 15 years of age or over. The nature of the conviction is listed as a citation of the pertinent section of the penal code only.

Prison Records

Available. An extract of the Criminal Register is issued in lieu of a police or prison record to all persons 15 years of age or over. The nature of the conviction is listed as a citation of the pertinent section of the penal code only.

Military Records

Available. If a Czech citizen, for important reasons, needs a certificate concerning the length of his military service in the Czech Army, the document will be issued by the local military authority.

Passports & Other Travel Documents


Other Records

Not applicable.

Visa Issuing Posts

Prague, Czech Republic (Embassy)

Mailing Address:
American Embassy Prague
Department of State
Washington D.C. 20521-5630

Street Address:
Trziste 15, 118 01 Prague, Czech Republic

Tel: (420) 257 020 000
After Hours Emergencies Only: (420) 257 022 352

Visa Services

All visa categories for all of the Czech Republic.

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information

Washington, DC (202) 274-9137 (202) 469-8161

Chicago, IL (312) 861-1037 (312) 861-1944

Los Angeles, CA (310) 473-0889 (310) 473-9813

New York, NY (646) 422-3344 (646) 422-3308 (646) 422-3309 (646) 422-3363 (646) 422-3363 (646) 422-3311

Assistance for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Embassy in Prague
Tržiště 15
118 01 Praha 1 - Malá Strana
Czech Republic
+(420) 257-022-000
+(420) 257-022-000
+(420) 257-022-809
Czech Republic Map

Learn about your destination
Additional Information for Reciprocity

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.