Renew a Passport by Mail
You can renew by mail using Form DS-82 if your most recent passport:
- Is submitted with your application
- Is undamaged (other than normal "wear and tear")
- Was issued when you were age 16 or older
- Was issued within the last 15 years
- Was issued in your current name (or you can document your name change with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order)
Please note: If you are not in the United States, please see Applying for a U.S. Passport from Outside the United States.
How to Apply
1. Fill Out Form DS-82
2. Submit your Most Recent U.S. Passport
You must submit your most recent passport with your application.
- Your U.S. passport book and/or card must meet all of the requirements listed at the top of this page.
- Your old passport book and/or card will be returned to you, but generally it will come in a separate mailing from your new passport.
3. Include Name Change Documents (if applicable)
If the name you are currently using is different from the name on your most recent U.S. passport, you must provide a certified copy of the legal name change document. Examples include:
- Marriage certificate
- Divorce decree
- Court-ordered name change document
Your name change document will be returned to you in a separate mailing from your new passport.
4. Provide a Photo
Attach one photograph to the application. To avoid processing delays, be sure your photo meets all the photo requirements.Please note:
- Staple the photo to the application. Please use 4 staples vertically in the corners as close to the outer edges as possible.
- Do not bend the photo.
5. Calculate Fees
Include the fees in the form of a personal check or money order.
Product Form Application Fee Passport Book DS-82 $110 Passport Card DS-82 $30 Passport Book & Card DS-82 $140
For a list of fees for other forms or services, please see Passport Fees.
- Make checks or money orders payable to "U.S. Department of State."
- Please print the full name and date of birth of the applicant on the front of the check or money order.
- Do not send cash. We are not responsible for cash sent through the mail.
6. Mail Completed Application
Mail your completed application, including your most recent passport, name change document (if applicable), photo, and fees, to one of the addresses below. Please see Processing Times for more details on service options.
National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 90155
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0155
Expedited Service (additional fee applies):
Write "EXPEDITE" on the outside of the mailing envelope.
National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 90955
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0955When mailing your passport application, please use:
- An envelope large enough to fit the application without folding
- A trackable delivery method
You may be eligible to apply in person at a passport agency if you need a passport quickly. Please see Get a Passport in a Hurry for more information.
Can I apply at an acceptance facility instead of mailing in my renewal application?
No, if you are applying on Form DS-82, acceptance facilities will not take your application. You must mail in your renewal application yourself. We recommend using a trackable delivery method when mailing in your passport application.
If I already have a passport book, can I use the DS-82 to get a passport card?
Yes. If you have or have ever had a passport book and you are eligible to use Form DS-82, you may apply for a passport card as a renewal by mail - even if it is your first passport card! Learn more about the U.S. passport card.
Can I renew my passport even if it's not expired?
Yes. We recommend renewing your passport well ahead of any planned international travel, even if it still has a few months validity left on it. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six months beyond the dates of your trip. Learn more about your destination's entry requirements.
I'm behind in child support. Can I get a passport?
If you are behind in child support payments of $2,500 or more, you cannot get a passport. For more information, please see Child Support Payments and Getting a U.S. Passport.
How will my passport book and/or card be mailed back to me?
Newly-issued passport books are delivered using Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation, unless you pay for Priority Express return service at time of application.
All passport cards will be mailed using First Class Mail. Passport cards cannot be delivered using Priority Express.
Renew a Passport from Outside the United States
- U.S. citizens residing abroad (except those living in Canada) should renew their passports at the nearest U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate. Please visit their specific website for specific instructions.
- U.S. citizens residing in Canada may submit Form DS-82 to the address listed on the form. Your check or money order must draw on U.S. financial institutions based in the United States and be payable in U.S. dollars.
- For more information, please see Applying for a U.S. Passport from Outside the United States.
DS-82: U.S. Passport Renewal Application for Eligible Individuals (By Mail)
Routine 4-6 Weeks
Expedited 2-3 Weeks