Apply Outside the United States

October 22, 2018: Notice for U.S. Residents in Canada

If you live in Canada and you're renewing your U.S. passport by mail using Form DS-82, a strike of Canada Post Corporation workers may delay delivery of your passport application. Canadian residents who are renewing their passport using Form DS-82 must send their applications and supporting documents to the United States via Canada Post. No other delivery service is permitted. Please consider if your international travel plans will be impacted by a delay in processing your passport application. To avoid the possibility of a delay, make an appointment to renew your passport in person at the U.S. Embassy in Ottawa or one of the U.S. consulates in Canada. 

Applying for a U.S. passport outside the United States is different than applying inside the United States.

If you live in Canada, there are special procedures for applying for and renewing your U.S. passport. You may be eligible to renew your passport by mail from Canada if you're traveling internationally in more than 4 weeks.

You must apply in-person at a U.S. embassy or consulate in Canada if:

  • You're renewing your passport and traveling internationally in less than 4 weeks
  • You're a first-time applicant, or
  • You're applying for a passport for your child under age 16.

If you live in any other country besides Canada, you must apply in person at a U.S. embassy or consulate for all passport services. Each U.S. embassy and consulate has different procedures for submitting and processing your final documents, but the forms, supporting documentation, fees, and finished products are similar. 



How to Apply

1. Fill Out Form

Select the correct form, complete it, and print it out.

You can use Form DS-82 if your most recent passport:

  • Can be submitted with your application
  • Is not damaged (other than normal "wear and tear")
  • Was issued when you were age 16 or older
  • Was issued within the last 15 years
  • Was issued in your current name (or you can document your name change with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order)

If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you must use Form DS-11.

DS-82: U.S. Passport Renewal Application for Eligible Individuals
Fill Out Form DS-82 OnlineForm DS-82 PDF
DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport
Fill Out Form DS-11 OnlinePrint PDF Form DS-11
Please note:
  • Do not sign the application until instructed to do so by the embassy or consulate officer.
  • You must provide a Social Security number, if you have been issued one, in accordance with 22 U.S.C. 2714a and 22 C.F.R 51.60(f).
    • If you do not have a Social Security number, you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct:  I have never been issued a Social Security Number by the Social Security Administration.”
    • For more information, please see Frequently Asked Questions.

Tips for applying from Canada:

  • Do not include your Canadian Social Insurance Number on the form in place of your U.S. Social Security number. 
  • If you are not eligible to renew your passport by mail using Form DS-82 or you need to renew and are traveling in the next 4 weeks, you must make an appointment to apply or renew in-person at a U.S. embassy or consulate in Canada.

2. Provide Evidence of U.S. Citizenship

For Form DS-82
Your most recent passport acts as your evidence of U.S. citizenship. Please submit it with your application. We will return your old passport book and/or card.

For Form DS-11
You must submit one of the following. Your evidence must be an original or certified copy. Photocopies and notarized copies are not acceptable.

  • Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)
  • U.S. birth certificate that meets the following requirements: 
    • Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
    • Lists your full name, date of birth, and place of birth
    • Lists your parent(s)' full names
    • Has the date filed with registrar's office (must be within one year of birth)
    • Has the registrar's signature
    • Has the seal of the issuing authority
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
  • Certificate of Naturalization 
  • Certificate of Citizenship

If you cannot submit one of the above acceptable documents, or for more information, please see Citizenship Evidence.


3. Bring Photocopy of Evidence of U.S. Citizenship (DS-11 ONLY)

Submit a photocopy of the front (and back, if there is printed information) of the U.S. citizenship evidence you’re submitting.

Photocopies must be:
  • Legible
  • On white 8.5”x11” standard paper
  • Black and white
  • Single-sided

If you don't want to submit a photocopy of your citizenship evidence, you may submit a second certified copy of your citizenship evidence, which we will keep. If you don’t submit a photocopy or a second certified copy of your citizenship evidence, your passport processing could be delayed.


4. Present ID (DS-11 ONLY)

You must present one of the following identification documents (IDs) to the acceptance agent. The ID must readily identify you.

  • In-state, fully-valid driver's license
  • Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)
  • Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship
  • Government employee ID (city, county, state or federal)
  • U.S. military ID or military dependent ID
  • Valid foreign passport
  • Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular Identification, commonly used by the parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant)
If you cannot present one of the IDs above, or for more information, please see Identification.
Please note:



5. Bring Photocopy of ID (DS-11 ONLY)

Submit a photocopy of the front and back of each ID that you present when you apply.

  • Photocopy must be on white, 8 1/2 x 11" standard paper.
  • Photocopy cannot be double-sided.
  • Do not decrease the image size (although you may enlarge it).


6. Determine Any Special Circumstances

If any of the below categories apply to you, you may have additional requirements for your passport application. Please see the relevant page for more information.

Please note, for Children Under 16: A DS-3053 "Statement of Consent" might be required for your child if one parent/guardian is unable to apply in person.  In certain countries, the DS-3053 form must be notarized at a U.S. embassy or consulate and cannot be notarized by a local notary public. Currently, these countries are Algeria, Angola, Bangladesh, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Dominican Republic, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Guatemala, Guinea, Haiti, Honduras, Iran, Iraq, Jamaica, Kenya, Laos, Lebanon, Libya, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Moldova, Nicaragua, Nigeria, North Korea, Pakistan, Panama, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan,  Syria, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Venezuela, Vietnam, and Yemen.



7. Provide a Photo

Attach one photo to your application. To avoid processing delays, be sure your photo meets all the photo requirements.

Please note: Photo requirements for a U.S. passport may differ from passport photo requirements of other countries.


8. Calculate Fees

Please see Passport Fees to find your correct passport fee.

Please see the website of your embassy or consulate to see what forms of payment they accept.

Tips for renewing from Canada: Personal checks or money orders must draw on U.S financial institutions based in the United States and be payable in U.S. dollars. One-day delivery services are not available to U.S. residents in Canada so please do not include 1-2 day delivery fees with your payment. 

Please note: We do not offer Priority Express Mail to overseas applicants.


9. Submit Your Completed Application

Living Outside the United States, anywhere except Canada?

Please contact your U.S. embassy or consulate for instructions.

Living in Canada?
If you're using Form DS-11, please contact your U.S. embassy or consulate for instructions.

If you're using Form DS-82, please send your application via Canada Post to one of the addresses (for either Routine or Expedited Service) listed on the form. If you listed a Canadian mailing address on your application, we will mail your new passport via First Class Mail to that address. We cannot send your passport via 1-2 day or express delivery. 

Personal checks or money orders must draw on U.S. financial institutions based in the United States and be payable in U.S. dollars. We cannot accept passport fee payments drawing on non-U.S. financial institutions, even when payable in U.S. currency. Acceptable U.S. checks and money orders must have a 9-digit routing number, as in the example below. 

Routing number is the first 9 digits at the bottom of a check. Account number is the next 12 digits. Check number is the last four digits.


Frequently Asked Questions

Can I call the toll-free number for the National Passport Information Center from outside the United States?

No. If you have questions while you are outside the United States, please visit your local U.S. embassy or consulate website for information.  


Can I pay with a personal check or money order outside the United States?

Yes, if you live in Canada and are eligible to renew your U.S. passport by mail. In most other cases, no. When you apply or renew in-person for passport services at U.S. embassies and consulates, only cash (local currency or U.S. dollars), or in some cases, credit cards are accepted. Please see the website of your embassy or consulate to confirm the forms of payment they accept.


Can I pay extra for expedited service or shipping?

No. The expedited service and shipping fees do not apply outside the United States. Your local U.S. embassy or consulate will tell you about pick-up or mailing options. Embassies and consulates can issue a limited-validity emergency passport if you have urgent travel needs.

Tips for applying from Canada: When renewing your passport by mail, you may request expedited service (2-3 weeks processing time and $60 additional cost), but we cannot return your completed passport via 1-2 day or express delivery. Do not include money for 1-2 day or express delivery with your application.


On the application, can the permanent address be the same as the mailing address?

It could be. If you are permanently residing outside the Unites States, then they would be the same. Your U.S. embassy or consulate may or may not offer mailing services.

If you are temporarily residing or traveling outside of the United States, put your current address as your mailing address and your U.S. address as your permanent address. 


Does my ‘Emergency Contact’ have to be somebody in the United States?

No. Your emergency contact does not have to be somebody in the United States, especially if you live permanently outside the United States. 

Please note: Currently, the online Form Filler does not allow you to enter an address outside the United States. If your emergency contact lives outside the United States, please leave this field blank when completing the form online and write it in after printing. 


How will I receive my passport if I am outside the United States?

Delivery methods vary by embassy and consulate. Possible methods may include a self-paid courier, the mail service, or picking it up in person. Please check with the embassy or consulate to confirm delivery methods.

Tips for applying from Canada: If you're eligible to renew by mail, send your Form DS-82 and supporting documents via Canada Post to one of the U.S. addresses (either Routine or Expedited service) listed on Form DS-82. Your completed passport will be returned to your Canadian address via First Class Mail. We cannot return it to you via 1-2 day or express delivery service.


Do I have to provide my Social Security number on my passport application?

Yes. You must provide your Social Security number, if you have been issued one, on your application for a U.S. passport, in accordance with 22 U.S.C. 2714a and 22 C.F.R 51.60(f).

If you or your child does not have a Social Security number, you must submit a statement, signed and dated, that includes the phrase, “I declare under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: I have/(Child's full name) has never been issued a Social Security number by the Social Security Administration.”

Your passport application will be delayed or denied if you do not provide a Social Security number or a statement declaring that a Social Security number has not been issued to you. Contact the Social Security Administration for information about obtaining a new or replacement Social Security number and card.

If you are outside the United States and have an emergency need to travel, but you cannot locate your Social Security number, we may be able to issue you a limited passport for direct return to the United States only.

If you fail to provide the information, you will also be subject to a $500 penalty enforced by the IRS pursuant to Section 6039E of the Internal Revenue Code (26 U.S.C. 6039E). All questions on this matter should be directed to the nearest IRS office.


What size passport book will I get when I apply outside the United States?

All applicants outside the United States automatically receive the large, non-standard 52 page passport book. 

Applicants in the United States can choose a standard passport book of 28 pages or the large, non-standard passport book of 52 pages. Both cost the same amount.