U.S. Passports


Passport Requirements

Photo Identification

You must present a government-issued photo identification document (ID) when submitting Form DS-11 if you are:

  • Over age 18
  • The parent or guardian identifying an applicant under age 18

You must present one primary photo ID. If you cannot present one of the primary photo IDs below, please present a combination of secondary IDs.

Primary IDs (submit one)

  • In-state, fully valid driver's license
  • In-state, fully valid learner's permit
  • Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport book or passport card (with recognizable photo, can be expired)
  • Certificate of Naturalization (with recognizable photo)
  • Certificate of Citizenship (with recognizable photo)
  • Government employee ID (city, county, state, or federal)
  • U.S. military or military dependent ID
  • Current (valid) foreign passport
  • Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular ID) - commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
  • Permanent resident card (Green Card) - commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant

Secondary IDs (submit a combination)

  • In-state, fully valid non-driver ID
  • Out-of-state driver's license
  • Out-of-state non-driver ID
  • Social Security card
  • Learner's or temporary driver's permit
  • Voter registration card
  • Employee ID
  • Student ID
  • Selective Service (draft) card
  • Medicare or other health card
  • Expired driver's license 
  • Form DS-71, for an Identifying Witness (only available at your local Acceptance Facility or a Passport Agency). 

Applying Out of State

If you apply out of state, please present an additional ID. It should show as much of the following information as possible: your photo, full name, date of birth, and the document issuance date.

Gender Transition

If you have undergone a gender change or are going through gender transition, please see these additional requirements.