Global Health Advisory: Do Not Travel. Avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19
Exercise increased caution in Antarctica due to environmental hazards posed by extreme and unpredictable weather.
The U.S. government is unable to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in Antarctica as the U.S government does not have an embassy or consulate in Antarctica.
Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Antarctica:
- Obtain comprehensive medical insurance that includes medical evacuation.
- Travel with a professional guide or organization.
- Contact the Department of State’s Office of Ocean and Polar Affairs for information at Antarctica@state.gov.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.