Return of Surrendered Passports

Did you surrender your valid, unexpired U.S. passport to the courts or any other law enforcement agency?

Please note that if your passport has been reported lost or stolen, we can not return it to you.

Visit Lost or Stolen Passports for more information about your lost or stolen passport.


Requesting your Surrendered Passport

1. Write a Letter

We need a notarized letter from you requesting the return of your valid, unexpired passport. The letter must include:

  • Court or agency to which you surrendered your passport 
  • Your full name 
  • Date of birth 
  • Contact phone number 
  • Mailing address
  • Social Security number
  • Copy of valid, government-issued photo ID (e.g., driver’s license)

2. Get a Letter from your Probation Officer

If you are currently under supervised release or probation (or have recently completed it), please have your probation officer write a letter to us authorizing release of the passport to you. The letter must:

  • Be on official letterhead
  • Be signed
  • Include the officer’s current phone number, government email address, and mailing address
  • Your scheduled probation completion date

3. Send Letters to Us

You may submit your documents in one of three ways.

  2. Fax: (202) 485-6496
  3. Mail:

U.S. Department of State
44132 Mercure Circle
P.O. Box 1234
Sterling, VA 20166-1227


If you've already submitted your documents and would like to get a status update, please email