Detroit Passport Agency
If you are traveling internationally in less than 2 weeks or need to obtain a foreign visa within 4 weeks, you are eligible to schedule an appointment at this agency with proof of international travel. Will call (pickup) service is offered for life or death emergencies and immediate international travel.
Call 24/7 for an Appointment
Se habla español. 1-877-487-2778, 1-888-874-7793 (TDD/TTY)
- Appointments are required at all passport agencies. There is no charge to make an appointment at a passport agency and customers should not pay anyone or any business making such a charge.
- You must pay the $60 expedite fee in addition to application fees to apply at this agency.
- Proof of international travel is required when applying at this agency.
- Will call service is offered for life or death emergencies and immediate travel abroad (leaving within # business). The agency will advise you when the passport will be ready for pickup at will call based on your documented travel plans.
- For all other customers, passports will be processed within # business of applying at the agency. During your appointment, the agency will advise how the passport will be sent to you.
For Your Appointment
What to Bring
- Appointment confirmation number
- Proof of international travel
- Completed forms
- All required supporting documents (photo, citizenship evidence and photocopy, photo identification and photocopy)
- A major Credit Card, Debit/Check card (not ATM cards), Check, Bank Draft, Cash (Exact Change), or Money Order to cover the application and expedited fees
Need help getting started?
When You Arrive
- Arrive early to allow enough time to pass through building security screening and metal detectors (weapons are prohibited).
- Take the elevator to the 2nd floor.
- Check-In at the Information Desk.
Present your Social Security Number or Appointment Confirmation Number to verify your appointment.
- Receive your number, please be seated, and wait until your number is called.
- When your number is called go to your assigned window. A passport specialist will review your forms and supporting documents.
- Please note: Wait times may vary. Please take into account that you may not be seen exactly at your appointment time.
Driving Directions, Parking Information, and Public Transportation
From the South:
Take I-75 N toward Detroit. Take Exit 47A toward M-3/Clark Ave. Stay straight onto Fisher Freeway West. Turn right onto Clark Street. Turn left onto Fort Street West/MI-3. End at 211 West Fort Street, Detroit, MI 48226-3269
From the North:
Take I-75 S. Merge onto I-375 S/ Chrysler Freeway via Exit 51C on the left toward Civic Center. Take the Madison Ave exit on the left. Take the Madison Street ramp. Turn slight right onto Madison Street. Turn left onto Beaubien Street. Turn right onto Gratiot Ave /MI-3 South. Continue to follow MI-3 South. Turn right onto Monroe Street. Enter next roundabout and take 1st exit onto Woodward Avenue. Pass through 1 roundabout. Turn slight right onto MI-3 S/ Form Street West. End at 211 W Fort St Detroit, MI 48226-3269.
From the West:
Take I-94 East toward Detroit. Take Exit 215A/M-10 South toward Downtown. Merge onto MI-10 South/John C. Lodge Freeway. Take Exit 1C/Howard Street toward Cobo Roof. Keep left at the fork to go on 5th Street. Turn left onto Fort Street West/MI-3. End at 211 W Fort St Detroit, MI 48226-3269
From the East (United States):
Take I-90 West toward I-71. Merge onto I-90 West via Exit 170B toward Toledo (Portions toll). Merge onto I-280 North via Exit 71 toward Toledo/ Detroit.
Merge onto I-75 North toward Detroit (Crossing into Michigan).
Take Exit 47A toward M-3/Clark Avenue. Stay straight to go onto Fisher Freeway West. Turn right onto Clark Street. Turn left onto Fort Street West/MI-3. End at 211 W Fort St Detroit, MI 48226-3269.
From the East (Canada):
Take Provincial Route 401 West. Take the Talbot Road exit. Merge onto Provincial Route 3 North (Crossing into the United States, Michigan). Provincial Route 3 North becomes Ambassador Bridge. Turn slight left onto West Fisher Freeway. Merge onto I-75 N toward Detroit. Take Exit 49 toward M-10/ Rosa Parks Blvd/Civic-Cobo Center. Take the exit on the left toward M-10/ Lodge Freeway/Civic Center. Take the M-10 S exit toward Civic Center/Cobo Center. Merge onto MI-10 S/ John C. Lodge Freeway. Take the Exit 1C/Howard Street toward Cobo Roof. Keep left at the fork to go on 5tg Street. Turn left onto Fort Street West/MI-3. End at 211 W Fort St Detroit, MI 48226-3269
There is limited metered parking available on West Fort St. for $1/hr. There are also several parking garages and surface lots within a three block radius of the agency that range from $5.00 - $10.00 per day.
Special Acceptance Events
Find a Special Passport Acceptance Event near you!
We're holding special acceptance events all across the United States this Spring to help you get your passport more easily.
Most events are for first-time and children applicants, (who use Form DS-11). If you can use Form DS-82, you can renew by mail at your convenience!
Detroit Passport Agency
211 West Fort Street
Detroit, MI 48226-3269
U.S. Department of State
Detroit Passport Agency
44132 Mercure Cir.
PO Box 1066
Sterling, VA 20166-1066
8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
12:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Excluding Federal Holidays