Security Alert
May 17, 2024

Worldwide Caution

May 10, 2024

Information for U.S. Citizens in the Middle East

U.S. Visas


Immigrant Visa Process

Step 5: Collect Financial Evidence and other Supporting Documents

After the financial sponsor(s) completes the Affidavit of Support form, they should gather evidence of their finances and other supporting documents. Complete the Financial Evidence Assistant clicking the ‘What Financial Evidence Do I Need to Submit’ button below to learn more about what must be submitted.

Please remember: Each financial sponsor (petitioner, any joint sponsors, and any household members) must submit an Affidavit of Support as well as evidence of their finances and other supporting documents. Failure to do so will delay the processing of your case


Obtain Financial Evidence



IRS Tax Transcript

NVC strongly recommends the submission of tax transcripts since they typically provide the information necessary for an evaluation of completeness of the Affidavit of Support and result in more efficient processing.  Sponsors may submit copies of tax returns but must comply with the file size limits for electronic uploads to CEAC and could be delayed by requests for additional documentation.

If you completed Form I-864I-864A, or I-864EZ submit an IRS tax transcript from the most recent tax year, which NVC can process more efficiently than a copy of a tax return.  Alternatively, you may submit a complete copy of a filed tax return from the most recent tax year.


If you filed jointly: If you filed taxes under the “married filing jointly” category, you must also submit your Form(s) W-2 or schedules(s) from the most recent tax year.

Extensions: If you filed an extension for the most recent tax year, submit a photocopy of your IRS Form 4868, or write and sign a statement indicating you filed an extension, along with a tax transcript or tax return from the previous year.

If you did not file taxes: If you did not file Federal Income Tax Returns for the most recent tax year, write and sign a statement indicating why you were not required to file taxes.

Evidence of income

If you completed Form I-864I-864A, or I-864EZ and the income reported on this form or your tax transcript reflects income below the poverty guidelines for the year the form was submitted, submit evidence of your income. This can include evidence of current employment or self-employment, recent pay statements, a letter from the employer on business letterhead – showing dates of employment, wages paid, and type of work performed – or other financial data.

  • For those who are unemployed or retired, submit a photocopy of ongoing income from other means, such as:
    • retirement benefits;
    • other household members' income; or
    • other significant assets.

Social Security Administration (SSA) Earnings Statement

If the principal applicant can be credited with 40 eligible quarters under the Social Security Act, submit Form I-864W and the applicant’s SSA Earnings Statement showing the coverage.

You can obtain an SSA Earnings Statement online at You can also call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 for more information.

Proof of Assets

If you submitted Form I-864I-864A and you used assets to meet the minimum income requirements, submit a photocopy of proof you own your assets. Proof can take any form as long as it establishes location, ownership, and value of each asset listed, including liens and liabilities for each asset listed.

Proof of relationship

If you completed Form I-864A, submit evidence that proves your relationship to the sponsor (the person who filed Form I-864). You can prove your relationship by submitting a photocopy of one of the documents below:

  • Birth certificate;
  • Marriage certificate;
  • Adoption certificate;
  • The petitioner or joint sponsor’s most recent Federal Income Tax Returns, if you are listed as a dependent; or
  • A signed, written statement describing the relationship.

Proof of domicile

If you completed Form I-864I-864A, or I-864EZ and your mailing address and/or place of residence is not in the United States, but your country of domicile is the United States, write an explanation and provide documentary evidence indicating how you meet the domicile requirement. Review our FAQs to learn more about domicile.

Proof of U.S. status

If you completed Form I-864 as a joint sponsor, submit proof that you are a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or Lawful Permanent Resident. You can do this by submitting a photocopy of one of the following documents:

  • Birth certificate showing birth in the United States;
  • U.S. Naturalization Certificate;
  • U.S. passport/passport card;
  • Form I-551 “green card;” or
  • Foreign passport containing Form I-94 with I-551 stamp (if you entered the United States by land) or an electronic Form I-94 record (if you entered the United States by air or sea).  You can request an electronic Form I-94 record from USCIS online.