Helpful Hints: NIV Processing

I would like to temporarily visit or stay in the US.

  • You may not need a visa:  The Visa Waiver Program (VWP), administered by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in consultation with the State Department, permits citizens of 40 countries to travel to the United States for business or tourism for stays of up to 90 days without a visa.  In return, those 40 countries must permit U.S. citizens and nationals to travel to their countries for a similar length of time without a visa for business or tourism purposes.  Information regarding the visa waiver program is available at  

  • For information on non-immigrant visa types:  NVC cannot advise you on the type of visa appropriate for your travel to the United States.  Please use The Visa Wizard tool at


I have an urgent need to expedite my NIV interview.

  • Consular sections overseas may be able to expedite your interview date if there is an urgent, unforeseen situation such as a funeral, medical emergency, or school start date. The process to request an expedited nonimmigrant visa interview varies by location.  Please refer to the instructions on the website of the Embassy or Consulate Visa Section where you will interview, or on their online appointment scheduling site.  You will need to provide proof of why an earlier appointment is needed.

  • In all cases, you must first submit the online visa application form (DS-160), pay the application fee, and schedule the first available interview appointment.  Once completed, a consular section will review your request for an expedited appointment.


I would like to study in the US.


What is the status of my J1 visa waiver application?