U.S. Consulate General Guangzhou, China - GUZ

Please follow the steps below before your immigrant visa interview at the U.S. Consulate General in Guangzhou, China.

Step 1: Register Online

 You must register online to provide the information we need to return your passport and visa package to you after your interview. Registration is free. Click the “Register” Link below. Select “New Application/Schedule Appointment” and then select “Immigrant Visa-Scheduled by NVC-Registration Only.”

Register >>

Step 2: Get a medical exam in China

As soon as you receive your appointment date, you must schedule a medical exam in China. Click the "Medical Exam Instructions" button below for a list of designated doctors' offices in China. Please schedule and attend a medical exam with one of these doctors before your interview.

Medical Exam Instructions >>

Step 3: Complete your pre-interview checklist

It is important that you bring all required original documents to your interview. We’ve created a checklist that will tell you what to bring. Please print the checklist below and bring it to your interview along with the listed documents.


Pre-Interview Checklist >>

Step 4: Review interview guidelines

Read our interview guidelines to learn about any special actions that you need to take before your visa interview.


Interview Guidelines >>

Medical Exam Instructions

All immigrant visa applicants, regardless of age, require a medical examination prior to the issuance of a visa. Only a physician accredited by the U.S. Consulate can perform this exam. It is your responsibility to schedule a medical exam with one of the physicians listed below BEFORE your visa interview at the U.S. Consulate. Medical examination results from other physicians will not be accepted.

Approved physicians

Beijing International Travel Healthcare Center
20 Hepingli North Street, Dongcheng Dist., Beijing
Tel: (010) 82005029
Website: www.beijingithc.org.cn
Basic fee: RMB1831.80 for adult, RMB1445 for child aged 2 to 14, RMB705 for child aged under 2


Health Care Center of Guangzhou International Travel
4F, 5/F East Tower, Poly Bld, No. 59 Huali Rd, Zhujiang New Town, Guangzhou
Tel: (020) 81219500
Website: gzwbzx.com
Basic fee: RMB1700 for adult, RMB1500 for child aged 2 to 14, RMB700 for child aged under 2

Fujian Provincial Hospital (South Branch)
No. 516 Jinrong South Road, Fuzhou, Fujian
Tel: (0591) 88619601 / 88619602
Website: cgtj.fjsl.com.cn
Basic fee: RMB2000 for adult, RMB1500 for child aged 2 to 14, RMB900 for child aged under 2

Shanghai International Travel Medical Center
2F. Bld 3, No. 15 Jin Bang Road, Shanghai
Tel: (021) 62688851
Website: http://online.shhg12360.cn/sithc
Basic fee:  RMB1631 for age 45 and above, RMB1946 for age 25-44, RMB2096 for age 18-24, RMB1631 for age 15-17, RMB1446 for age 2-14, RMB906 for age under 2  

Items to bring to your medical examination

Any medical examination fees, including x-ray and blood test fees, must be paid directly to the examining physician. Bring the following items to your medical exam:

  • Your visa interview appointment letter,
  • Your passport,
  • Recently taken passport-sized color photographs (refer to the physicians’ website for instructions),
  • A copy of your immunization records.
  • Form DS-260 Confirmation Page.

During the medical exam

The medical examination will include a medical history review, physical examination, chest X-ray, gonorrhea test, and blood tests (for applicants 15 years of age or older). The United States also requires tuberculosis (TB) testing for all applicants two years of age and older.  Please be prepared to discuss your medical history, medications you are taking, and current treatments you are undergoing. More information on general medical requirements for U.S. immigrants is available Center for Disease Control website. U.S. immigration law requires immigrant visa applicants to obtain certain vaccinations prior to the issuance of a visa. Current immigrant visa vaccination requirements are available CDC website. You can also read Frequently Asked Questions about our medical examination requirements travel.state.gov.

After the medical exam

When your examination is completed, the doctor will either provide you with exam results in a sealed envelope or send them directly to the U.S. Consulate. IF GIVEN AN ENVELOPE TO CARRY TO YOUR INTERVIEW, DO NOT OPEN THIS ENVELOPE. Instead, bring it to your visa interview. Applicants using the e-medical process are not required to bring any X-rays to the port-of-entry. If you are NOT using the e-Medical process, you must hand carry your X-rays when you travel to the United States and present them to the U.S. immigration inspector at the port-of-entry, along with your immigrant visa packet.  DO NOT PLACE X-RAYS IN YOUR LUGGAGE.

back to top

Pre-Interview Checklist

Please use the list below to determine the items that every applicant must bring to the immigrant visa interview.

Any documents that are not in English must be accompanied by a certified English translation.

Appointment Letter: A copy of your interview letter from the National Visa Center (NVC), does not apply to Diversity Visa, fiancé(e), adoptive, or asylee/refugee applicants.

Passport: Each applicant must have a passport for travel to the United States that is valid for at least eight (8) months beyond the visa issuance date. Bring any expired or cancelled passports you may have.

Photographs: Bring two 2x2 inch (50 mm x 50 mm), full-face color photographs with a white background without eyeglasses.  For more information see our photo requirements online.

  • All applicants, regardless of age, must submit photographs.
  • Photos must not be more than six (6) months old.

Form DS-260 Confirmation Page. Print and bring the confirmaton page of the Form DS-260 Application for an Immigrant Visa you submitted online at ceac.state.gov/iv. Fore more information, see DS-260 Instructions.

Online Registration Confirmation Page: Print and bring the confirmation page of your online appointment registration from Step 1.

Birth Certificate plus a Certified English Translation:

  • Applicants born in Mainland China must obtain a certified copy of the birth certificate issued by a local notary public office.
  • The notarized birth certificate must state the date, place of birth, and names of both parents (even if deceeased). If parents' names are unknown, the notarized birth certificate must state "unknown".
  • If adopted, provide a notarized adoption certificate, abandonment certificate or custody transfer certificates. 
  • Third-Country Nationals: Provide an original birth certificate, one photocopy, and a certified English translation.
  • All applicants who have ever used another name or alias on legal documentation or for any other official purpose must provide a certified alias certificate.

Police Certificates:

  • ALL APPLICANTS OVER 16 YEARS OF AGE MUST PROVIDE: A police certificate issued within the last 24 months (with a certified English translation) from your country/territory of nationality that covers the ENTIRE TIME you have lived in that country since age 16. Chinese local notary offices are the only authority that can issue Chinese Police Certificates.
  • Do you currently reside outside the country of your nationality? AND have you resided there for longer than six (6) months?
    • If yes to both, please also provide a police certificate issued within the last 24 months (with a certified English translation) from that country.
    • Have you ever lived anywhere else outside your country of nationality for more than one year?
      • If yes, please also provide a police certificate (with a certified English translation) from that country which covers the entire period of residency.
    • Are you a K-1 visa applicant?
      • If yes, provide a police certificate (with a certified English translation) that covers the entire period of residency from all countries you have resided in for six (6) months or longer since age 16.
    • More information on obtaining police certificates can be found on our country-specific webpage.

Court and Prison Records:

  • Applicants who have been convicted of a crime in any jurisdiction must obtain a certified copy of each court record, including disposition, and any prison record, regardless of the outcome of the case.
  • The records must be notarized, and you must also submit a certified English translation.
  • Police certificates submitted by applicants who have committed a crime should include conviction information and should attest that they have no other criminal record beyond the convictions already described.

Marriage, Divorce, and Death Certificates:

  • Applicants who were married in Mainland China must have a notarized marriage certificate issued by a local notary public office.
  • Non-Mainland Chinese applicants must provide the original marriage certificate, a certified English translation, and one photocopy.
  • You must also bring certificates showing the termination of any previous marriages (e.g. death certificate of a spouse, final decree of divorce or annulment). 

Evidence of Your Relationship with the Petitioner:  Evidence of a relationship includes, but is not limited to, photographs with the petitioner, communication records, money transmittal records, household registration, proof of biological children, etc.

Medical Examination Results: If you received your medical examination and vaccination records in the sealed envelope from the Consulate-approved physician (see page 2), please bring that to the interview. Do not open these envelopes. If you are using the e-medical process, you will not receive a sealed medical report.

Affidavits of Financial Support: By signing Form I-864, your petitioner (including co-sponsor(s) and joint sponsor(s)) are agreeing to use their resources to support you and any dependents, if it becomes necessary. If you or your dependents immigrating with you receive any of the designated federal, state or local means-tested public benefits, you should expect the agency providing the benefit to request repayment from your sponsor(s). That agency can take legal action against any of your sponsors if the cost of the benefits provided is not repaid. Please see the travel.state.gov for more information on means-tested public benefits.

  • For Family-Based Visa categories: The petitioner must submit a signed: (1) Form I-864 or Form I-864EZ, if applicable; (2) Form I-864A signed by the relevant member of household if the petitioner jointly filed taxes; and (3) a copy of his/her IRS-issued tax transcript for the most recent year (or recent U.S. federal income tax return and corresponding W-2’s if transcript isn’t available) and all supporting financial documents needed to verify the income reported on tax returns -  i.e. W-2 form, 1099-MISC form, proof of rental income, proof of business income, proof of social security benefits, etc. for the latest year available OR a statement of why the petitioner did not file federal taxes.

  • For Applicants Submitting Any Form I-864: Proof of your U.S. petitioner and any joint sponsor's status and domicile in the United States is required. A photocopy of the U.S. passport, birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or lawful permanent resident card are all acceptable to prove your U.S. petitioner's status.

  • If your petitioner has no income or does not meet poverty income guidelines: The petitioner will still need to complete an affidavit of support Form I-864 or I-864EZ. However, you will also need to find a joint sponsor who meets the poverty income guidelines for the relevant family size. The joint sponsor must submit all documents listed above, proof of domicile in the United States, and proof of either U.S. citizenship or LPR status.

  • For biological children of U.S. citizens (IR-2) under age 18 OR widows of U.S. citizens (IW): Please complete Form I-864W instead of Form I-864 or I-864EZ.

  • For employment (E) visa categories: Provide an original job offer letter from the petitioning business signed within the past year. A Form I-864 and the IRS-issued tax transcript for the most recent year are also required if a relative is the petitioner (or) has a 5% or more ownership interest in the petitioning business.

  • For returning residents (SB-1), diversity visa (DV), and fiancé (K1): The sponsor or petitioner who will financially support you should complete a Form I-134 and provide a copy of his/her IRS-issued tax transcript and all supporting financial documents needed to verify the income reported on his or her tax returns - i.e. W-2 form, 1099-MISC form, proof of rental income, proof of business income, proof of social security benefits, etc. for the latest year available OR a statement of why the petitioner did not file federal taxes. If your sponsor does not meet poverty income guidelines, you will need to find a joint sponsor and have them submit a Form I-134, IRS-issued tax transcript, and all supporting financial documents.

  • Affidavit of Support Photocopies: The affidavit of support must account for all applicants on the petition. Each derivative family member needs to bring one (1) photocopy of the principal applicant’s affidavit(s) of support. If each applicant has their own individual petition, each affidavit of support must include that applicant’s own name.

  • You can find more information on affidavits of support and the supporting financial evidence required on the USCIS website and on the Department of State website.

Petitioner’s Documents:

  • If the applicant is applying for an IR5 or an F4 visa, they must obtain an original or certified copy of the petitioner’s birth certificate.

  • If the applicant is applying for an IR1, CR1, or F2A visa as the spouse of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident and the petitioning spouse was previously married, they must provide evidence of the termination of every prior marriage of the petitioning spouse. The evidence must be an original or certified copy of a final legal divorce decree, death certificate, or annulment papers.

  • If the applicant is a stepchild and is applying for an IR2, CR2, F2, or any other visa classification requiring that the applicant be a child, they must obtain an original or certified copy of the marriage certificate of every marriage of the petitioner and the applicant’s natural parent. If the petitioner or applicant’s natural parent was previously married, the applicant must obtain evidence of the termination of every prior marriage. The evidence must be an original or certified copy of a final legal divorce decree, death certificate, or annulment papers.

    ***Please note that all documents issued in China must be translated and notarized by a local notary public office in China. For documents issued in other countries, including the United States, applicants must obtain an original or certified copy of the requested documents.

Original or certified copies of birth certificates for all children of the principal applicant (even if he or she is not accompanying).

Applicants who fall into any category listed below should bring these additional documents to their visa interview:

If you are an EB5 applicant (C5, I5, T5, and R5): Proof that your investment funds have been transferred to an escrow account or made available to the U.S. investment project.

If you are an E1, E2, and E3 employment applicant or a DV visa applicant: A detailed resume of your professional and educational history in Chinese and English language with the following: (1) list of all employers and job responsibilities; (2) publications you have written, with titles, descriptions and dates; (3) travel history covering all foreign countries visited, including dates and purpose; (4) work plan explaining where you will seek employment in the United States.

If you have served in any country’s military: Certified military records, if applicable and obtainable, English translation.

If you have traveled to the U.S. and applied for visa extension(s): Copies of extension application(s) and approval notice(s).

If you have previously been ordered removed from the United States or if you have been the subject of any other immigration proceedings: Copies of all records, including waivers.


WARNING: UStraveldocs.com is the only website that the U.S. Consulate General authorizes to provide visa information and visa application services. The U.S. Consulate does not endorse or have a “special relationship” with any individual or business that offers advice or assistance with your visa process. No one can guarantee the issuance of a visa to you. The U.S. consular office that will be handling your case is located at the address at the top of this form. All U.S. government forms are available free of charge. Many visa applicants lose money or are permanently barred from the United States as a result of misleading information and fraudulent applications provided by visa consultants.

POTENTIAL CANCELLATION OF APPLICATION: Failure to apply for your immigrant visa within one year of being notified that you may apply may result in the permanent termination of your case pursuant to section 203(g) of the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act.


back to top

Interview Guidelines

Submitting documents to the consulate

If the U.S. Consulate General requests additional information or documentation from you, the consular officer will provide instructions on how to submit those to the consulate at the end of the interview.

Rescheduling or cancelling your interview

We strongly advise the applicants to make every effort to attend the interview appointment on the scheduled date. Appointments are limited and there may be a significant wait before the next available appointment. If you are unable to attend your appointment, please visit the U.S. Consulate Guangzhou Immigrant Visa Unit Navigator and follow instructions to request a new appointment date.  For some family-based and employment preference visa categories, a visa could become available within the month you have been scheduled by NVC. There is no guarantee that a visa will still be available on the date of your rescheduled interview. Please carefully consult the Visa Bulletin before you decide to reschedule you interview.

Security screening procedures

All visitors to the U.S. Consulate in Guangzhou must follow certain security procedures. Any visitor who declines to be screened by U.S. Consulate security personnel will be unable to enter the consulate. Please read our online security regulations. To avoid delaying your entry and that of those in line behind you, please bring only what is required for your interview. Our entrance is on Huaxia Road near Exit B1 of the Zhujiang New Town Metro Station (Lines 3 and 5).

Accompanying Persons

Anyone whose name is not listed on the visa appointment letter will not be allowed to enter the consulate. Petitioners are not required to attend the applicants’ immigrant visa interview. Due to limited space in the visa waiting room, we cannot accommodate petitioners or attorneys in the waiting room or at visa interviews. Only the following persons may accompany a visa applicant to their interview:

  • At the discretion of the consulate, applicants may bring ONE person to help if they are elderly or disabled.
  • Applicants under age 14 must be accompanied by a parent, legal guardian, or an individual having legal custody of, or a legitimate interest in the applicant to act as the minor's proxy for the purpose of signing the visa application. The accompanying adult must show official government photo identification to enter the consulate. Accompanying adults who do not have a legal relation to the minor should also bring a notarized signed affidavit from the minor's parent or legal guardian authorizing them to act as a minor's proxy for this purpose.

Immigrant visa fees

If you have not paid all required fees to either the National Visa Center or via the appointment website, please be prepared to pay these fees on the day of your interview. All Immigrant Visa fees may be made in either U.S. dollars or the Chinese Renminbi (RMB) equivalent at the Consulate's exchange the rate on the day of the applicant's interview. We accept cash and credit cards (Visa, Master, American Express, Diners Club, and Discover) only. A combination of U.S. dollars and Chinese RMB will not be accepted. Please note that if you are found ineligible to receive a visa, the application fee cannot be refunded. A complete list of fees can be found here.

Do not make travel plans outside of China before receiving your visa

If your visa is approved, we will keep your passport at the consulate while we prepare your immigration packet and print a visa for your passport. We will return your passport to you later via the CITIC Bank branch or the home address selected by you at the time you registered on the visa application service website. If you have to travel within China while your passport is with us, please make sure you have a valid picture ID other than your passport. If you are a third-country national and need your passport to return to your home, the consular officer will give you your passport and instructions on how to send your passport to the consulate at a later date to print your visa.


back to top

After Your Visa Interview

A consular officer can make a decision on a visa application only after reviewing the formal application and interviewing the applicant. There is no guarantee that you will receive a visa. Decisions are based on many factors. Even if the consulate determines you are eligible for a visa, issuance can be delayed for a variety of reasons. You are STRONGLY ADVISED against giving up your job, disposing of property, or buying plane tickets until you actually receive your visa.

If more information is needed

Sometimes a consular officer is unable to make a decision on a visa application because he/she needs to review additional documents or the case requires further administrative processing. When additional documents are requested, the consular officer will give you a refusal letter that asks you to submit additional documents. The letter will include instructions on how to send those documents to the consulate. Administrative processing takes additional time after the interview. Most administrative processing is resolved within 60 days. However, the timing varies based on the circumstances of each case. Before inquiring about the status of administrative processing, please wait at least 90 days after your interview.

What happens after visa approval

Passport, Visa, and Sealed Immigrant Packet – We will place your immigrant visa on a page in your passport. Please review your visa to make sure there are no spelling errors. Some applicants may receive a sealed envelope containing documents that you must give to U.S. immigration authorities when you arrive in the United States. Do not open this envelope. You must carry it with you; do not put it in your checked luggage. However, if you do not receive a sealed envelope that means all required documents have been electronically transmitted to U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) as a part of the Electronic Visa Information Packet (EVIP).  If you receive vaccination records during your medical examination, carry those with you and give them to the U.S. immigration authorities.

USCIS Immigrant Fee – All individuals who are issued immigrant visas overseas must pay an Immigrant Fee to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) prior to traveling to the United States. This fee is for processing your residency status and printing your Permanent Resident Card. The only people exempt from paying this fee are: Children who enter the United States under the orphan or Hague adoption programs; Iraqi and Afghan special immigrants; Returning lawful permanent residents (SB-1s); and K nonimmigrants.

When You Should Travel – You must enter the United States before the expiration date on your visa, which is usually based on the expiration date of your medical report. Your visa cannot be extended and all fees are nonrefundable. The principal applicant must enter before or at the same time as other family members with visas. Unless they are eligible for benefits under the Child Status Protection Act, children who are issued a visa before turning 21 years of age must enter the Untited States before their 21st birthday to avoid losing their immigrant status.

Getting a Green Card – Your Form I-551 Permanent Resident Card, also known as a green card, will be automatically mailed to the address in the United States that you write in your visa application form. This is a very important document that proves you have permission to reside in the United States. If you plan to travel outside the United States before your green card arrives: Please consult USCIS’s and CBP’s websites for rules about what documents you need to re-enter the country. We also recommend you check with the airline to ensure you are in compliance with their rules. Once your card is issued, you should not stay outside of the United States for more than one year. If you do, you will lose your status as a Lawful Permanent Resident.

Children’s Issues – In the United States, children are required to have certain vaccinations before they can enroll in school. We recommend that you bring your child’s complete vaccination records with you to the United States. If your child is adopted, you have full custody as a result of a divorce, or you share custody with another parent, you should bring a copy of all applicable adoption or custodial papers from the authoritative court in your home country. You will need these papers (translated into English) for issues such as school enrollment, medical care, and eventual citizenship.

Information for New Immigrants – Please visit the USCIS web page for helpful information on moving to the United States. You can read their publication “Welcome to the United States: A Guide for New Immigrants” online.


back to top

Diversity Visa Applicants - Additional Information

Please note that natives of the People's Republic of China do not qualify as principal applicants in the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program.

If you are resident in China but are a citizen of another country who is eligible and interviewing for a Diversity Visa (DV), all of the above instructions apply to you. Please schedule and attend a medical examination prior to your visa interview, enroll in the required courier service, and gather the required documents.

Below are additional instructions that apply only to DV applicants.

Bring to your interview

In addition to the documents listed on the Pre-interview Checklist in this package, DV applicants should also bring the following items to your visa interview:

  • Appointment information printed from the “Entrant Status Check” on the E-DV website.
  • Documents showing that you have either a qualifying high school education OR have two (2) years of qualifying work experience in the last five (5) years immediately prior to application (for the principal applicant only; more information is available online).
  • Payment in cash of the $330 the Diversity Visa Application Fee for each visa applicant.

Review your DV Lottery entry

Prior to your visa interview, we recommend that you review the data on your initial E-DV entry. On your initial E-DV application, you must have correctly entered your marital status. If you are legally married you must have listed your spouse, even if you are currently separated from him/her (unless your spouse is a U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident).

Additionally, you must have listed ALL of your living children who are unmarried and under 21 years old. This includes your natural children, your spouse’s children, or children you have formally adopted in accordance with the laws of your country.

Failure to have listed an existing spouse or children at the time of your entry in the Diversity Visa lottery will result in the denial of your visa and visas for your family. Any fees paid to the U.S. government in support of your visa application(s) are nonrefundable. If you failed to include a child who had already been born, or a spouse to whom you were married when you entered the lottery, you should not proceed with the visa application. You can review the eligibility requirements online.


back to top

Print  (Translation included)

Last Updated: 3/26/2024

Contact Information

U.S. Consulate General Guangzhou

#43 Hua Jiu Road
Zhujiang New Town
Tianhe District
Guangzhou 510623