The Immigrant Visa Process
- After Your Petition is Approved
- Begin National Visa Center (NVC) Processing
- Choose an Agent
- Pay Fees
- Collect and Submit Forms and Documents to the NVC
- Submit Visa Application Form
- Collect Financial Documents
- Collect Supporting Documents
- Submit Documents to the NVC
This section of the website provides step-by-step webpages explaining the process for family and employment-based immigration, and describes what you will need to do. You may want to use this in combination with the visual, Immigrant Visa Process Overview flow diagram.
The family relationships and specific types of employment that can be sponsored for immigration purposes are based on U.S. immigration laws, which establish both the allowable immigrant visa categories, requirements for eligibility, and procedures. While many family relationships can be sponsored, some family relationships cannot be sponsored to immigrate to the United States. To immigrate based on employment, both employer and prospective employee must meet certain requirements.
The petition filed by the U.S. sponsor must be approved by USCIS before you can begin the steps in immigrant visa application process. Learn more about filing a petition.