U.S. Embassy Seoul, Korea - SEO

Please follow the steps below before your immigrant visa interview at the U.S. Embassy in Seoul, South Korea.

Step 1: Register a document return address

You must provide an address where we can return your passport and visa packet to you after your visa interview. Click the “Register” button below for information on how to provide your document return address online.


Register >>

Step 2: Schedule a medical exam in South Korea

As soon as you receive your appointment date, you must schedule a medical exam in South Korea. Click the “Medical Exam Instructions” button below for a list of designated doctors’ offices in South Korea. Please schedule and attend a medical exam with one of these doctors before your interview.

Medical Exam Instructions >>

Step 3: Complete your pre-interview checklist

It is important that you bring all required original documents to your interview. We’ve created a checklist that will tell you what to bring. Please print the checklist below and bring it to your interview along with the listed documents.


Pre-Interview Checklist >>

Step 4: Review interview guidelines

Read our interview guidelines to learn about any special actions that you need to take before your visa interview.


Interview Guidelines >>

Medical Exam Instructions

All immigrant visa applicants, regardless of age, require a medical examination prior to the issuance of a visa. Only a physician accredited by the U.S. Embassy can perform this exam. It is your responsibility to schedule a medical exam with one of the hospitals listed below before your visa interview appointment at the U.S. Embassy. Medical examination results from other physicians will not be accepted. If your medical examination will not be completed by the time of your interview, you must reschedule your interview appointment.

Approved Physicians:


Gangnam Severance Hospital
(Visa Medical Center)
Dogok-ro 235, Gangnam-gu, Seoul
(Visa Medical Center, 1st floor)
Tel: 02-2019-1209
Reserve online: https://yuhs.severance.healthcare/gs/patient-carer/appointment/visa/usa.do
(Korean Language Only)

Saint Mary's Hospital
63 Ro 10, Youngdeungpo-Gu, Seoul
Tel: 02-3779-1521
Reserve online: https://www.cmcsungmo.or.kr/hospitalguide.visa.sp
(Korean Language Only)

Seoul National University Hospital
Daehak-Ro 101, Jongno-Gu, Seoul
Tel: 02-2072-4918
Website: http://www.snuh.org/content/M002006.do

Yonsei Severance Hospital
Yonsei-Ro 50-1, Seodaemun-Gu, Seoul
Tel: 1599-1004
Reserve online: https://sev.severance.healthcare/sev/patient-carer/appointment/visa/usa.do
(Korean Language Only)


Haeundae Paik Hospital
Haeundae-Ro 875, Haeundae-Gu, Pusan
Tel: 051-797-0369
Reserve online: https://www.paik.ac.kr/haeundae/user/main/view.do
(Korean Language Only)

Items to bring to your medical examination

Bring the following items to your medical exam:

  • Your visa interview appointment letter,
  • Your passport,
  • One passport-sized color photograph taken within 6 months,
  • A copy of your immunization records,
  • Your current email; current address and zip code; intended U.S. address with zip code; and prior countries of residence, and
  • DS-260 confirmation page (CEAC confirmation page)

Any medical examination fees, including x-ray and blood test fees, must be paid at the hospital.

During the medical exam

The medical examination will include a medical history review, physical examination, and chest X-ray, gonorrhea test, and blood tests (for applicants 15 years of age or older). The United States also requires tuberculosis (TB) testing for all applicants two years of age and older. Please be prepared to discuss your medical history, medications you are taking, and current treatments you are undergoing. More information on general medical requirements for U.S. immigrants is available from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

U.S. immigration law requires immigrant visa applicants to obtain certain vaccinations prior to the issuance of a visa. Current immigrant visa vaccination requirements are available on CDC's website. You can also read Frequently Asked Questions about our medical examination requirements on Travel.State.Gov.

After the medical exam

When your medical examination is completed, the physician will send your e-Medical report to the U.S. Embassy directly. For K and DV applicants, the panel physician will provide you with the medical report in a sealed envelope. DO NOT OPEN the medical report envelope. Instead, bring it to your visa interview at the U.S. Embassy. The medical report is valid for six (6) months. If a CLASS B TB condition exists, it is valid for three (3) months from the time the evaluation is complete. The validity of your immigrant visa will be limited to the validity of your medical examination.

back to top

Pre-Interview Checklist

Please use the list below to determine the items that the applicant must bring to the immigrant visa interview:

Appointment Letter: A copy of your NVC interview letter (does not apply to Diversity Visa, fiancé(e), adoptive, or asylee/refugee applicants).

Passport: A signed passport should be valid for at least eight (8) months at the time of visa issuance. Any previous passports with valid U.S. visas should also be submitted.

Photographs: Two (2) color photographs of each person applying for a visa (5 cm x 5 cm, or 2 inch x 2 inch).  Please review our online photo requirements.

DS-260 Confirmation Page: Print and bring the confirmation page of the Form DS-260 Application for an Immigrant Visa you submitted online at ceac.state.gov/iv.

Confirmation of Online Registration: Print and bring the confirmation page of your online registration with our Visa Information Service. See Step 1.

Birth Certificate: Submit an original or a certified copy of your birth certificate with English translation. If you were born in Korea, submit both Basic Certificate and Family Relation Certificate with “Detailed” information issued within one (1) year with English translation for each applicant. If adopted, submit an original adoption decree or Adoption Relation Certifiate with “Detailed” Information.  NOTE: You must not submit an English version of Family Relation Certificate. The Korean version of Family Relation Certificate with “Detailed” Information must be submitted with English translation.      

Marriage Certificate: Submit an original or a certified copy of your marriage certificate for each marriage if you are married or have been married with English translation. For Korean nationals, submit a Marriage Relation Certificate with “Detailed” information issued within one (1) year with English translation.

Divorce or Death Certificate: Submit an original or a certified copy of divorce decree or spouse’s death certificate with English translation. For Korean nationals, submit a Marriage Relation Certificate with “Detailed” information issued within 1 year with English translation.

Petitioner’s Documents:

  • If you are applying for an IR5 or an F4 visa, you must obtain an original or certified copy of the petitioner’s birth certificate.
  • If you are applying for an IR1, CR1, or F2A visa as a spouse of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident and your petitioning spouse was previously married, you must provide evidence of the termination of every prior marriage of your petitioning spouse. The evidence must be an original or certified copy of a final legal divorce decree, death certificate, or annulment papers.
  • If you are a stepchild and applying for an IR2, CR2, F2, or any other visa classification requiring that the applicant be a child, you must obtain an original or certified copy of the marriage certificate of every marriage of the petitioner and the applicant’s natural parent. If the petitioner or applicant’s natural parent was previously married, the applicant must obtain evidence of the termination of every prior marriage. The evidence must be an original or certified copy of a final legal divorce decree, death certificate, or annulment papers.

Police Certificate: If you are older than 16 years of age, you must obtain a police certificate from your country of nationality and your country of residence if your presence there was for six (6) months or more after age 16. Police certificates from other countries are required if your stay was for 12 months or more after age 16. You can find police certificate requirements for various countries online. If you have ever been arrested, court records with English translations should also be submitted.

Military Records: If you served in the military of any country, you must obtain your military record with English translation. For more information, please see the Reciprocity Schedule.

Medical Examination Results:  If your medical examination is completed, the physician will send your e-Medical report to the U.S. Embassy directly. For K and DV applicants, the panel physician will provide you with the medical report in a sealed envelope. See Step 2.

Affidavit of Support:

Family-based visa applicants: Please learn more about the financial documents on https://travel.state.gov. Please bring all required documents, which may include:

  • Form I-864 Affidavit of Support for each financial sponsor (petitioner and joint sponsor, if necessary).
  • Photocopy of each financial sponsor’s IRS transcript or a complete copy of Form 1040 U.S. Individual Income Tax Return including all schedules. If the sponsor is not required to file a U.S. tax return, complete a Statement of Not Filing U.S. Federal Income Tax Return. This statement should be signed and an original copy.
  • Relevant W-2s of each financial sponsor's Form 1040 U.S. Individual Income Tax Return; if sponsor submits a tax transcript, no W-2 is required unless his or her status is "married filing jointly".Form I-864A Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member for each financial sponsor who use the income of other household members to qualify.
  • Proof of your U.S. petitioner’s status in the United States (photocopy of a U.S. passport, naturalization certificate, or lawful permanent resident card).
  • Proof of your U.S. petitioner’s domicile in the United States, especially when the petitioner does not currently live in the United States.

Employment preference (E) applicants: No Form I-864 is required unless a relative is the petitioner or has a 5% or more ownership interest in the petitioning business. Instead, a job offer from the petitioning company should be submitted. The job offer should be original and signed within 6 months.

Child of U.S. citizen who is under 18 and will become a U.S. citizen upon entry under CCA and widow(er) of the U.S. citizen (IW) cases: The Form I-864W must be filed instead of I-864.

Interview Guidelines

Sending Documents to the U.S. Embassy

If you need to send us any documents, please DO NOT mail them to us directly. Instead, submit those documents to Ilyang Logis, which will deliver your documents to the Embassy. To view Ilyang Logis document drop-off locations, click here. (Information is only available in Korean.)

Rescheduling or cancelling your interview

If you are unable to attend your appointment, please contact our Visa Information Service. There may be a significant wait before the next available appointment, so please attempt to attend the date already assigned. For some family-based and employment preference visa categories, a visa became available within the month you have been scheduled by NVC. DV applicants should be aware that visas are numerically limited and must be issued by September 30 of the program year. There is no guarantee that a visa will still be available on the date of your rescheduled interview. Please carefully consult the Visa Bulletin before you decide to reschedule your interview.

Security screening procedures

All visitors to the U.S. Embassy must follow certain security procedures. Any visitor who declines to be screened by U.S. Embassy security personnel will be unable to enter the embassy. To avoid delaying your entry and that of those in line behind you, please bring only what is required for your interview. Please check our security regulations.

Accompanying persons

The following persons may accompany a visa applicant to their interview.  Request must be made in advance through Visa Information Service with information of accompanying persons: 

  • Interpreter: Applicants may bring ONE interpreter if they do not speak English or Korean well enough to participate in an interview.
  • Special Needs Visitors: Applicants may bring ONE person to help if they are elderly, disabled, or a minor child.

Attorneys are not permitted to accompany clients into the waiting room or to their interview.

Immigrant visa fees

If you have not paid all required fees to either the National Visa Center or via the appointment website, please be prepared to pay these fees on the day of your interview. Fees may be paid in cash (U.S. dollars or Korean won), money order, or credit cards. Personal checks are not accepted. A combination of U.S. dollars and Korean won will not be accepted. Please note that if you are found ineligible to receive a visa, the application fee cannot be refunded. A complete list of fees can be found on Travel.State.Gov.

Do not make travel plans outside of South Korea

If your visa is approved, we will keep your passport at the embassy while we prepare your immigration packet and print a visa for your passport. We will return your passport to you later via courier services only. If you have to travel within South Korea while your passport is still with us, please make sure you have a valid picture ID other than your passport.

back to top

After Your Visa Interview

A consular officer can make a decision on a visa application only after reviewing the formal application and interviewing the applicant. There is no guarantee that you will receive a visa. Do not sell your house, car or property, resign from your job or make non-refundable flight or other travel arrangements until you have received your immigrant visa.

If more information is needed

Sometimes a consular officer is unable to make a decision on a visa application because he/she needs to review additional documents or the case requires further administrative processing. When additional documents are requested, the consular officer will give you a refusal letter that asks you to submit additional documents. The letter will include instructions on how to send those documents to the Embassy.

Administrative processing takes additional time after the interview. Most administrative processing is resolved within 60 days. However, the timing varies based on the circumstances of each case. Before inquiring about the status of administrative processing, please wait at least 60 days after your interview.

What happens after visa approval

Passport, Visa, and Sealed Immigrant Packet – We will place your immigrant visa on a page in your passport. Please review your visa to make sure there are no spelling errors. We will also give you a sealed envelope containing documents that you must give to U.S. immigration authorities when you arrive in the United States for the first time. Do not open this envelope. You must carry it with you; do not put it in your checked luggage. However, if you do not receive a sealed envelope and your visa has a special annotation, that means all required documents have been electronically transmitted to U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) as a part of the Electronic Visa Information Packet (EVIP). If you receive X-rays during your medical examination, carry those with you and give them to the U.S. immigration authorities.

USCIS Immigrant Fee – All individuals who are issued immigrant visas overseas must pay an Immigrant Fee to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) prior to traveling to the United States. This fee is for processing your residency status and printing your Permanent Resident Card. The only people exempt from paying this fee are: children entering the United States under the orphan or Hague Process, Iraqi and Afghan special immigrants, returning residents, and people traveling on a K visa.

When You Should Travel – You must enter the United States before the expiration date on your visa, which is usually six months from completion of the medical exam. If a Class B TB condition exists, the visa is valid for three months from the time the evaluation is completed. Your visa cannot be extended and all fees are nonrefundable. The principal applicant must enter before or at the same time as other family members with visas. Unless they are eligible for benefits under the Child Status Protection Act, children who are issued a visa before turning 21 years of age must enter the United States before their 21st birthday to avoid losing their immigrant status.

Getting a Green Card – Your Form I-551 Permanent Resident Card, also known as a green card, will be automatically mailed to the address in the United States that you write in your visa application form. This is a very important document that proves you have permission to reside in the United States. Do not travel outside of the United States until you receive your Permanent Resident Card. Once your card is issued, you should not stay outside of the United States for more than one year. If you do, you will lose your status as a Lawful Permanent Resident.

Children’s Issues – Children are required to have certain vaccinations before they can enroll in school in the United States. Therefore, we recommend that you bring your child’s complete vaccination records with you to the United States. Additionally, if your child is adopted, you have full custody as a result of a divorce, or you share custody with the child’s other parent, we recommend that you bring a copy of all applicable adoption or custodial papers from the authoritative court in your home country. You will likely need these papers (translated into English) in the United States for issues such as school enrollment, medical care, and eventual citizenship.

Information for New Immigrants – Please visit the USCIS web page for helpful information on moving to the United States. You can read their publication “Welcome to the United States: A Guide for New Immigrants” online.

back to top

Diversity Visa - Additional Information

Currently, citizens of South Korea are not eligible to apply for the Diversity Visa Lottery Program. However, if you are resident in Korea but are a citizen of another country who is eligible and interviewing for a Diversity Visa (DV), all of the above instructions apply to you. Please schedule and attend a medical examination prior to your visa interview, enroll in the required courier service, and gather the required documents.

Below are additional instructions that apply only to DV applicants.

Bring to your interview

In addition to the documents listed on the Pre-interview Checklist, DV applicants should also bring the following items to the visa interview:

  • Appointment information printed from the “Entrant Status Check” on the E-DV website.
  • Documents showing that you have either a qualifying high school education OR have two (2) years of qualifying work experience in the last five (5) years immediately prior to application (for the principal applicant only; more information is available online).
  • Payment in cash of the $330 the Diversity Visa Application Fee for each visa applicant.

Review your DV Lottery entry

Prior to your visa interview, we recommend that you review the data on your initial E-DV entry. On your initial E-DV application, you must have correctly entered your marital status. If you are legally married, you must have listed your spouse, even if you are currently separated from him/her (unless your spouse is a U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident).

Additionally, you must have listed all your living children who are unmarried and under 21 years old. This includes your natural children, your spouse’s children, or children you have formally adopted in accordance with the laws of your country.

Failure to have listed an existing spouse or children at the time of your entry in the Diversity Visa lottery will result in the denial of your visa and visas for your family. Any fees paid to the U.S. government in support of your visa application(s) are nonrefundable. If you failed to include a child who had already been born, or a spouse to whom you were married when you entered the lottery, you should not proceed with the visa application. You can review the eligibility requirements online.

back to top

Print  (Translation included)

Last Updated: 1/2/2024

Contact Information

U.S. Embassy Seoul

188 Sejong-daero, Jongno-gu
Seoul 03141, Korea