U.S. Embassy Bangkok, Thailand - BNK

Please follow the steps below before your immigrant visa interview at the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok, Thailand.

Step 1: Register online

Before your interview, you must register a delivery address for your passport’s return with the embassy’s online service. Registration is free. Click the “Register” button below to register.


Step 2: Get a medical exam in Thailand

As soon as you receive your appointment date, you must schedule a medical exam in Thailand. Click the “Medical Exam Instructions” button below for a list of designated doctors’ offices in Thailand. Please schedule and attend a medical exam with one of these doctors before your interview.

Medical Exam Instructions >>

Step 3: Complete your pre-interview checklist

It is important that you bring all required original documents to your interview. We’ve created a checklist that will tell you what to bring. Please print the checklist below and bring it to your interview along with the listed documents.

Pre-Interview Checklist >>

Step 4: Review interview guidelines

Read our interview guidelines to learn about any special actions that you need to take before your visa interview.

Interview Guidelines >>

Medical Exam Instructions

All immigrant visa applicants, regardless of age, require a medical examination prior to the issuance of a visa.  Only a physician accredited by the U.S. Embassy can perform this exam. It is your responsibility to schedule a medical exam with one of the doctors listed below before your visa interview at the U.S. Embassy.  Medical examination results from other physicians will not be accepted. Your visa expiration date will be the same as the expiration date of your medical exam (usually six months from the date of the exam, and sometimes three months for certain medical conditions).  You should schedule your medical exam to occur at least 10 business days before your interview date to make sure the exam is complete, and you have as much validity on your visa as possible.

If your medical examination report will not be completed by the time of your interview (due to ongoing testing, treatment, or other reason), it must be rescheduled until you receive your completed medical examination report.  You can contact visasbkk@state.gov to reschedule your visa interview.  Instructions for obtaining a medical exam can be found on our website.  The fees listed below are for the medical examination only.  You may be required to pay a separate fee for immunizations.

Approved physicians

Bangkok Nursing Home
9/1 Convent Road, Silom, Bangkok
Tel. (02) 686-2700
Email: bnhcheckup@bnh.co.th
Dr. Kessanee Oralsatheinrakul
Examination Fee:
Under age 2 years old - 4,500 THB
2-14 years old - 9,900 THB
15-17 years old and age over 45 years old - 5,200 THB
18-24 years old - 9 800 THB
25-44 years old - 5,600 THB

Bumrungrad Hospital (Bangkok)
33 Sukhumvit Soi 3 (Soi Nana Nua), Bangkok
Tel. (02) 667-1000
Web page: www.bumrungrad.com
Dr. Watcharaphong Saechere
Dr. Wiwat Wongsirisak
Examination Fee:
Under age 2 years old - 2,200 THB
2-14 years old - 7,700 THB
15-17 years old and age over 45 years old - 3,200 THB
18-24 years old - 7,100 THB
25-44 years old - 3,700 THB

Items to bring to your medical examination

You should present your complete medical and immunization records to the physician at your exam appointment. Bring the following documents to your medical exam:

  • Passport (over 6 months validity)
  • Four (1.5 x 2 inches) photographs (taken less than 6 months)
  • DS-260 or DS-160 Confirmation Page
  • Visa interview appointment letter issued by National Visa Center (NVC), or US Embassy Bangkok’s Consular Section, or GSS
  • Prepare to bring your information useful for completing medical exams form, as follows: visa category, visa case number, present and U.S. addresses
  • Vaccination records

All relevant information concerning your medical history:

  • If you are taking any medications, you should know their names and composition.
  • If you currently or have previously suffered from an illness, have had major surgery or trauma, or physical or mental impairment; please bring documentation from the doctor or medical institution that treated you.

Failure to provide this information during your medical examination will cause your visa process to be delayed.  Be assured remember that the information provided to the doctor is confidential.

Medical Examination Forms (DS-2054, DS-3025, DS-3026, and DS-3030) will be provided by the hospital, as they must be handled by the panel physician.

Any medical examination fees, including x-ray and blood test fees, must be paid directly to the examining physician.

During the medical exam

The medical examination will include a medical history review, physical examination, and chest X-ray and blood tests (for applicants 15 years of age or older). The United States also requires tuberculosis (TB) testing for all applicants two years of age and older.  Please be prepared to discuss your medical history, medications you are taking, and current treatments you are undergoing.  More information on general medical requirements for U.S. immigrants is available on CDC web page.

U.S. immigration law requires immigrant visa applicants to obtain certain vaccinations prior to the issuance of a visa. Current immigrant visa vaccination requirements are available on CDC web page.  You can also read Frequently Asked Questions about our medical examination requirements online.


United States immigration law requires immigrant and fiancé(e) K visa applicants to obtain certain vaccinations (listed below) prior to the issuance of a visa.  Panel physicians who conduct medical examinations are now required to verify that visa applicants have met the new vaccination requirements, or that it is medically inappropriate for the visa applicant to receive one or more of the listed vaccinations:

 Diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis

 measles, rubella, and mumps

 Polio (inactivated) or (live oral)

 Hepatitis A

 Hepatitis B

 Haemophilus influenzae type b(Hib)

 Varicella

 Pneumococcal for adults

 Pneumococcal for children

 Meningococcal

 Influenza

 Rotavirus

 Covid 19 

To assist the panel physician and avoid processing delays, all immigrant and fiancé(e) K visa applicants should have their vaccination records available for the panel physician's review at the time of the medical examination. You should consult with your regular health care provider to obtain a copy of your immunization record if one is available. If you do not have a vaccination record, the panel physician will work with you to determine which vaccinations you may need to meet the requirements.  Certain waivers of the vaccination requirements are available upon the recommendation of the panel physician.

Only a physician can determine which of the listed vaccinations are medically appropriate for you, given your age, medical history, and current medical condition.

After the medical exam

When your examination is completed, the doctor will either provide you with exam results in a sealed envelope or send them directly to the U.S. Embassy. IF GIVEN AN ENVELOPE TO CARRY TO YOUR INTERVIEW, DO NOT OPEN THIS ENVELOPE. Instead, bring it to your visa interview. You should also bring the digital radiography CD with you to the interview.

IMPORTANT: You must carry your radiography CD (x-rays) with you when you travel to the United States for the first time. The medical report must be less than six months old when you enter the United States as an immigrant.

back to top

Pre-Interview Checklist

Please review the detailed guidance provided below to schedule an interview and prepare the required documents.  Applications that are incomplete at the time of the visa interview will result in a minimum 10-15 business-day delay in adjudication.

Please arrange your documents in order as listed below and separate all original documents from the photocopies.

If you do not have the original, a certified copy can be accepted instead of the original.  After reviewing, we will return the original documents.

Translations: All non-English documents must be accompanied by a certified English translation that includes a statement by the translator that the “Translation is accurate” and the “Translator is competent to translate.”  Please bring a copy of the translation to the interview. In Thailand, you can request civil registration documents (such as the birth and marriage certificate) in English at any local district office (Thai Amphur). If you have obtained the English version of a required document directly from the Thai Amphur, an English translation of that document will not be necessary.

If you do not submit the items in this checklist at the visa interview, processing your visa application will be delayed.

 Photographs: Two (2) COLOR front view photographs taken within the past six months.  Please review photo requirements. 

Passport: Original and Copy.  Your passport must be valid for travel to the United States and have at least eight (8) months of validity beyond the visa issuance date.  Your visa will be issued in the same name which appears on your passport.

Previous Passports: Applicants should submit all previous passports, or police reports for any lost or missing previous passports or U.S. visas, particularly passports containing other U.S. visas or that were used to travel to the United States.

Confirmation of Form DS-260 Online Immigrant Visa Application: To complete this online form, visit https://ceac.state.gov/IV/Login.aspx and follow the directions on the website for DS-260 Online Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration Application.  Be sure to create a new profile and DS-260 for the current immigrant visa application, do not use profiles from old applications.

Confirmation of Global Support Strategy (GSS) Registration: Each applicant must create their own profile and register a mailing address in the GSS system at www.ustraveldocs.com/th.  Please print out your GSS Confirmation Page showing UID Barcode and bring it to the Embassy.

Police Certificates: Original and copy.  If you are 16 years of age or older, you must obtain a police certificate from all countries you have lived in using below criteria:

If you …

AND you…

THEN submit a police certificate from…

Are 16 years old or older

Lived in your country of nationality for more than 6 months at any time in your life

Your country of nationality

Are 16 years old or older

Have lived in your country of current residence (if different from nationality) for more than 6 months

Your country of current residence

Have ever lived in another country for 12 months or more

Were 16 years or older at the time you lived there

The country where you used to live.

Were arrested for any reason, regardless of how long you lived in that city or country, and no matter what age you were


The city and/or country where you were arrested.

Present and former residents of the United States do NOT need to submit any U.S. police certificates.  Instructions for obtaining a Thai police certificate can be found on our website.  Applicants should review the Reciprocity Schedule for information on obtaining police certificates from other countries.

 Court and Prison Records (if any): Certified copy.  If you were convicted of a crime, you MUST obtain a certified copy of each court and prison record, even if you were later granted amnesty, a pardon, or other act of clemency.  You must also submit the section of the law under which you were found guilty and which shows the maximum penalty, along with certified English translations.

 Medical examination results in a sealed envelope (if the physician gives you these results).

 Birth Certificate: Original and copy.  You and each family member immigrating with you must obtain an original birth certificate or certified copy.  If you were born outside of Thailand, please see the Reciprocity Schedule for information about how to request a birth certificate.  Please place the English translation of this document on top of the original.

If an official Thai birth certificate is not obtainable, you should submit a Certificate of Birthplace (original and copy).

 Name Change Certificates: Original and copy.  If you have changed any of your names, you must submit all name change certificates.  Please arrange the certificates in order from oldest to newest.  The interviewing officer must be able to clearly track the name changes from the name on your birth certificate to the name on your passport.  Please place the English translation of this document on top of the original.

If you are unable to obtain individual name change certificates, you must submit an original Certificate of Same Person, issued by the local district office (Thai Amphur), listing all names since birth.

 Marriage Certificates: Original and copy.  If you are or have been married, you must obtain original marriage certificate/s or certified copies of EVERY marriage.  Please place the English translation of this document on top of the original.

 Termination of Marriage or Death Certificates: Original and copy.  Both the petitioner and applicant must present certificates for the legal termination of any prior marriages or of the death of a prior spouse.  Please place the English translation of this document on top of the original.

 Marital Status Certificates (Only for F1 unmarried son or daughter of U.S. citizen and F2B unmarried son or daughter of LPRs): Original and copy.  Also known as the Single Status Certificate, this is obtainable at the local district office (Thai Amphur).  It should state that the local district office completed a review of the Family Registration Database.

 Documents Required from the Petitioner

If you are applying for an IR5 visa as the parent of a U.S. citizen or for an F4 visa as the brother or sister of a U.S. citizen then you must submit the following documents to prove your relationship:

 The original birth certificate (or a certified copy) of your petitioning child or sibling. 

 Any name change certificates for your sponsoring child or sibling that clearly shows the link between the petitioner's birth certificate and current name.

If you are applying for an IR1, CR1, or F2A visa as the spouse of a U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident and your petitioning spouse was previously married, then you must submit the following documents to prove the current marriage is valid:

 Evidence of the termination of EVERY prior marriage your petitioning spouse has had.  This evidence must be an original or certified copy of one of the following documents: FINAL legal divorce decree, death certificate, or annulment papers.

If you are applying for an IR2, CR2, F2, as a stepchild of U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident, you must obtain an original or certified copy of the marriage certificate of EVERY marriage of the petitioner and your natural parent.  If the petitioner or your natural parent was previously married, you must obtain evidence of the termination of EVERY prior marriage.  The evidence must be an original or certified copy of a final legal divorce decree, death certificate, or annulment papers.

If an intending immigrant child was adopted and if the child’s application to immigrate is based upon a parent-child relationship, then you must submit the below custody documents.

 A certified copy of the adoption decree.

 The legal custody decree if custody occurred before the adoption.

 A statement showing dates and places where the child resided with the adoptive parents.

 If the child was adopted when aged 16 or 17 years old, you must submit evidence that the child was adopted with, or subsequent to, the adoption of a natural sibling under age 16 by the same adoptive parent(s).

 Military Records (if any): If you served in the military of any country, you must obtain a photocopy and English translation of your military record.  For more information, please see the Reciprocity Schedule.

 Immigration Records (If any): Applicants who have been denied admission to the United States, who have requested legal status extensions, who have changed U.S. immigration status, who have applied for asylum, been deported, or granted voluntary departure from the United States must submit all relevant documentation.

 Evidence of Financial Support: Your petitioner must present evidence that neither the principal applicant nor any dependent applicants (if applicable) will become a public charge in the United States.  The petitioner’s income must meet 125% of the Poverty Guidelines.  Please see information about the Affidavit of Support and required supporting financial documents.

• Employment-based (E) cases only: 

 You must submit an original job offer letter signed by the petitioning company on their company letterhead and issued 6 months prior to your interview.

• Form I-864 is not required unless a relative is the petitioner or has a 5% or more ownership interest in the petitioning business.

Diversity Visa cases only:

 Submit a Form I-134 for yourself and family members who will immigrate with you, along with evidence of financial resources to support your transition to the United States.  If you have limited financial resources, an I-134 completed by a friend or family member in the United States along with proof of U.S. citizenship or legal permanent resident status may be provided as well.

 Provide evidence of your high school education, or its equivalent, or two years of qualifying work experience as defined under provisions of U.S. law.  More information for diversity visa applicants can be on  travel.state.gov.

 Evidence of Relationship (for all family-based visas, including IR, CR, and F visas):  You must provide evidence of your relationship with the petitioner at the interview.  Such evidence can include photographs, letters, emails, or any other evidence that demonstrates your relationship with the petitioner.  If the Consular Officer is not convinced of your relationship with the petitioner, you may be asked to submit further evidence.

Submit your documents in this order at the interview: 

1. Photographs

2. Passport

3. Previous passports

4. DS-260 Confirmation

5. GSS Registration Confirmation

6. Thai Police Certificate

7. Other Police Certificates

8. Court and Prison Records

9. Medical Exam

10. Birth Certificate

11. Name Change Certificate(s) 

12. Marriage Certificates

13. Divorce Certificates or Death Certificate of prior spouse(s) 

14. Petitioner Documents

15. Marital Status Certificate 

16. Military Records 

17. Immigration Records 

18. Evidence of Financial Support

19. Evidence of Relationship

Interview Guidelines

Sending documents to the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok

Please arrive at least 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment to give enough time to go through security.  If you are more than 15 minutes late for your appointment, your appointment may be canceled and rescheduled.  A consular officer will interview you (and accompanying family member beneficiaries) and determine whether you are eligible to receive a visa.  As part of the interview process, ink-free, digital fingerprint scans will be taken.

If the Consular Officer requests additional documents during your interview, you should bring them to one of Thailand Post’s document drop-off locations (Bangkok locations or other locations) for delivery to the U.S. Embassy. Please address your envelopes as follows:

U.S. Embassy Bangkok
120-122 Wireless Road
Lumpini, Patumwan
Bangkok 10330

**For cases fully processed through Consular Electronic Application Center (CEAC) only**

If you were previously instructed to uploadthe required documents and financial forms to the CEAC system before the interview, please make sure these documents are all uploaded correctly before attending the interview.  All documents listed above should be scanned into the CEAC system, as well as brought to the interview.

Failure to upload all required documents to CEAC before your interview date will delay or prevent the issuance of your visa.  The U.S. Embassy Bangkok will not upload these documents for applicants.  If documents have not been uploaded correctly, your visa will be denied under INA 221(g) until the documents have been correctly scanned to this website.

Rescheduling or cancelling your interview

If you are unable to attend your appointment, please email visasbkk@state.gov as soon as possible.  There may be a significant wait before the next available appointment, so please attempt to attend the date already assigned.  For some family-based and employment preference visa categories, a visa became available within the month you have been scheduled by NVC.  DV applicants should be aware that visas are numerically limited and must be issued by September 30 of the program year.  If you do not contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate within one year of receiving your interview appointment letter, your case may be terminated and your immigrant visa petition cancelled, and any fees paid will not be refunded.  There is no guarantee that a visa will still be available on the date of your rescheduled interview.  Please carefully consult the Visa Bulletin before you request to reschedule your interview.

Security screening procedures

For a list of security regulations, please review our website.  Cell phones are not allowed inside the embassy during your appointment.  Visa applicants may be required to sit outside in a covered area while waiting for appointments.

Accompanying persons

Attorneys are not permitted to accompany clients into the waiting room or to their interview.  Only the following persons may accompany a visa applicant to their interview:

  • Applicants may bring ONE interpreter if they do not speak English or Thai well enough to participate.
  • Children Under the Age of 18:  A parent or legal guardian should accompany the minor to the visa interview.  If a parent or legal guardian cannot attend the interview, another adult may bring a notarized letter from the parent or legal guardian authorizing him/her to be the parent’s representative for the purpose of the interview.

Immigrant visa fees

For petitions filed locally or when the fee is not pre-paid to NVC, please be prepared to pay the required visa fee at the time of the interview.  You will be instructed to pay this fee after completing intake on the day of your interview.  If you are found ineligible to receive a visa, the application fee cannot be refunded.

Do not make travel plans outside of Thailand

If your visa is approved, we will keep your passport at the embassy while we prepare your immigration packet and print a visa for your passport.  We will return your passport to you later via courier services only (see Step 1).  If you have to travel within Thailand while your passport is still with us, please make sure you have a valid picture ID other than your passport.

back to top

After Your Visa Interview

A consular officer can make a decision on a visa application only after reviewing the formal application and interviewing the applicant The Consular Officer will inform you if your visa is approved or denied.  If your visa application is approved, your passport and visa will be sent to you via Thai Post.  Delivery usually takes about 10 business days after the interview.  Your documents will be delivered to the address you registered with the Global Support Strategy (GSS) system.

Delays are common.  Even if you are told that your visa application is approved during your interview, you should NOT make any travel plans, quit your job, or sell your property until you have physically received your passport and U.S.  visa.

There is no guarantee that you will receive a visa.  Do not sell your house, carcar, or property, resign from your job or make non-refundable flight or other travel arrangements until you have received your immigrant visa.

If more information is needed

Sometimes a consular officer is unable to make a decision on a visa application because he/she needs to review additional documents, or the case requires further administrative processing.  When additional documents are requested, the consular officer will give you a refusal letter that asks you to submit additional documents.  The letter will include instructions on how to send those documents to the embassy.  Administrative processing takes additional time after the interview.  Most administrative processing is resolved within 60 days.  However, the timing varies based on the circumstances of each case.  Before inquiring about the status of administrative processing, please wait at least 60 days after your interview.

What happens after visa approval?

Passport, Visa, and Sealed Immigrant Packet – We will place your immigrant visa on a page in your passport.  Please review your visa to make sure there are no spelling errors.  We will also give you a sealed envelope containing documents that you must give to U.S. immigration authorities when you arrive in the United States for the first time.  Do not open this envelope.  You must carry it with you.  Do not put it in your checked luggage.  If you receive X-rays during your medical examination, carry those with you and give them to the U.S. immigration authorities.

USCIS Immigrant Fee – All individuals who are issued immigrant visas overseas must pay an Immigrant Fee to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) prior to traveling to the United States.  This fee is for processing your residency status and printing your Permanent Resident Card.  The only people exempt from paying this fee are: children entering the United States under the Hague Process, returning residents, and people traveling on a fiancé(e) (K) visa.

When You Should Travel – You must enter the United States before the expiration date on your visa, which is usually six (6) months from the date of printing.  Your visa cannot be extended and all fees are nonrefundable.  The principal applicant must enter before or at the same time as other family members with visas.  Unless they are eligible for benefits under the Child Status Protection Act, children who are issued a visa before turning 21 years of age must enter the United States before their 21st birthday to avoid losing their immigrant status.

Getting a Green Card – Your Form I-551 Permanent Resident Card, also known as a green card, will be automatically mailed to the address in the United States that you write in your visa application form.  This is a very important document that proves you have permission to reside in the United States.  If you plan to travel outside the U.S. before your green card arrives: Please consult USCIS’s and CBP’s websites for rules about what documents you need to re-enter the country.  We also recommend you check with the airline to ensure you are in compliance with their rules.  Once your card is issued, you should not stay outside of the United States for more than one year.  If you do, you will lose your status as a Lawful Permanent Resident.

Children’s Issues – In the United States, children are required to have certain vaccinations before they can enroll in school.  We recommend that you bring your child’s complete vaccination records with you to the United States.  If your child is adopted, you have full custody as a result of a divorce, or you share custody with another parent, you should bring a copy of all applicable adoption or custodial papers from the authoritative court in your home country.  You will need these papers (translated into English) for issues such as school enrollment, medical care, and eventual citizenship.

Information for New Immigrants – Please visit the USCIS web page for helpful information on moving to the United States.  You can read their publication “Welcome to the United States: A Guide for New Immigrants” online.

Important Information - The Consular Section does not endorse or have a "special relationship" with any individual or business that offers advice or assistance with the visa process.  No one can guarantee the issuance of a visa to you.  All U.S. government forms are free.  Many visa applicants lose money or are permanently barred from the United States because of misleading information and fraudulent applications provided by visa consultants.

Any document or information presented in connection with your immigrant visa application may be investigated.  Any attempt to misrepresent a material fact to the consular officer may make you permanently ineligible to obtain a visa.

By law, an immigrant visa petitioner may be imprisoned for up to five years, fined up to $250,000, or both, for entering a marriage contract for the purpose of evading any provision of U.S. immigration laws.  In addition, a petitioner may be fined up to $10,000 and imprisoned for up to five years, or both, for knowingly and willfully falsifying or concealing a material fact or using any false document in submitting a petition.

back to top

Diversity Visa Applicants - Additional Information

If you are interviewing for a Diversity Visa (DV), all the above instructions apply to you. Please schedule and attend a medical examination prior to your visa interview; enroll in the required courier service; and gather the required documents. Reminder: DV visa case processing terminates at end of September each year.

Below are additional instructions that apply only to DV applicants.

Bring to your interview

In addition to the documents listed on the Pre-Interview Checklist in this package, DV applicants should also bring the following items to your visa interview:

  • Appointment information printed from the “Entrant Status Check” on the E-DV website.
  • Documents showing that you have either a qualifying high school education OR two (2) years of qualifying work experience in the five (5) years immediately prior to application (for the principal applicant only; more information is available online).
  • Payment in cash of the $330 Diversity Visa Application Fee for each visa applicant.

Review your DV Lottery entry

Prior to your visa interview, we recommend that you review the data on your initial E-DV entry. On your initial E-DV application, you must have correctly entered your marital status. If you are legally married you must have listed your spouse, even if you are currently separated from him/her (unless your spouse is a U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident).

Additionally, you must have listed ALL of your living children who are unmarried and under 21 years old. This includes your natural children, your spouse’s children, or children you have formally adopted in accordance with the laws of your country.

Failure to have listed an existing spouse or children at the time of your entry in the Diversity Visa lottery will result in the denial of your visa and visas for your family. Any fees paid to the U.S. government in support of your visa application(s) are nonrefundable. If you failed to include a child who had already been born, or a spouse to whom you were married when you entered the lottery, you should not proceed with the visa application. You can review the eligibility requirements online.

back to top


Last Updated: 7/15/2022

Contact Information

U.S. Embassy Bangkok

95 Wireless Road
Bangkok 10330