Find an Attorney Abroad

In order to pursue the return of your child from another country, you may need to retain an attorney in the country where your child is located.  Having an attorney abroad can help you navigate the foreign country's legal system.

For information about hiring an attorney abroad, see our section on Retaining a Foreign Attorney.  Although we cannot recommend an attorney to you, most U.S. Embassies have lists of attorneys available online.  Please visit the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate website for a full listing. 


Lists of attorneys are provided as a courtesy service only and do not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney.  The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the following persons or firms.  Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the lawyers.