U.S. Embassy Manila, Philippines - MNL

Please follow the steps below before your immigrant visa interview at the U.S. Embassy in Manila, Philippines.

Step 1: Complete your pre-interview checklist

It is important that you bring all required original documents to your interview.  Please print the checklist below and bring it to your interview along with the listed documents.


Pre-Interview Checklist >>

Step 2: Schedule a medical exam in the Phillippines

As soon as you receive your appointment date, you must schedule a medical exam in the Philippines. Click the “Medical Exam Instructions” link below for instructions.

Medical Exam Instructions >>

Step 3: Register your delivery address online

Registering your address provides us with the information we need to return your passport to you after your interview. Registration is free. Click the “Register” button link to register.

If you want to cancel or reschedule your visa interview date, you will be able to do so after you register your delivery address.


Register >>

Step 4: Review interview guidelines

Read our interview guidelines to learn what to expect at the interview.


Interview Guidelines >>

Pre-Interview checklist

Every applicant must bring the following documents to the immigrant visa interview:

A copy of your NVC interview letter (does not apply to Diversity Visa, fiancé(e), adoptive, or asylee/refugee applicants).

A passport valid for six months beyond your intended date of entry to the United States.

The Confirmation page from the Form DS-260 Application for an Immigrant Visa you submitted online at ceac.state.gov/ceac.

Your original birth certificate and English translation (if applicable). For Philippine born applicants, you should obtain this from the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) – the central repository of Philippine civil documents. If born outside the Phillippines, you must bring the birth certificate from the country of birth.

Original birth certificates from PSA for all children accompanying the principal applicant.

If you are 16 years of age or older: The original police certificate from your country of current residence and countries of previous residence:

  • NOTE: The Embassy requires a Philippine Police Certificate known as a National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) Clearance that is valid for one (1) year from the date it was obtained. You should get a Record Clearance (for travel purposes) from the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI). You may request NBI directly submit your NBI clearance to the US Embassy (recommended) here: clearance.nbi.gov.ph (if you're having trouble loading this website, try using a different Internet browser)

  • The applicant should request an NBI Clearance with an AKA including the applicant’s maiden name, birth certificate name, maiden name and any aliases or nicknames used, including different spellings that may appear on your other documents (birth certificate, marriage certificate, etc.) even if the applicant has never used those names or spellings in regular life.

  • Police Clearance from other countries: Applicants who have stayed for one (1) year or more upon reaching the age of 16 years are required to obtain a police certificate. Country-specific information on how to secure foreign police certificates is available at travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country.html

If you have served in any country’s military: Military records with English translation (if applicable).

Applicants who fall into any category below should bring these additional documents:

For all immediate relative and family-based visa applications (CR1/IR1, CR2/IR2, IR5, F1, F2A, F2B, F3, F4):

The appropriate Form I-864 Affidavit of Support for each financial sponsor along with a photocopy of the sponsor’s most recent IRS transcript, or most recent tax return and any relevant W-2s, if the transcript is unavailable. 

Proof of your U.S. petitioner’s status and domicile in the United States (photocopy of a U.S. passport, naturalization certificate, or lawful permanent resident card).

Evidence of the relationship between the petitioner and visa applicant (such as photographs, letters, or emails).

  • If you are single: (18 years and older) - A Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR) from the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) valid within one (1) year from the date it was obtained. The U.S. Embassy in Manila requires a CENOMAR for applicants whose unmarried status is important to their visa category. This includes visa categories K1, CR1/IR1, CR2/IR2, F1, F2A, F2B, and derivative children for any visa category, if the visa applicant is 18 years of age or older. Please ensure that the correct information is on the CENOMAR including your name, any aliases used, parents’ names, and your date of birth. You may request PSA submit your CENOMAR directly to the US Embassy (recommended) here: https://www.psaserbilis.com.ph/Default.aspx

    • For K1, F2A spouse, and CR1/IR1 petitions: If your petitioner was born in the Philippines and lived at least one (1) year in the Philippines after the age of 18 –A Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR) from the PSA valid within one (1) year from the date it was obtained.

  • If you are married: Your original marriage certificate, and English translation. If celebrated in the Philippines – bring an Advisory on Marriage obtained from the PSA. You may request PSA submit your Advisory on Marriage directly to the US Embassy (recommended) here: https://www.psaserbilis.com.ph/Default.aspx

    • For K1, F2A spouse, and CR1/IR1 petitions: If your petitioner was born in the Philippines and lived at least one (1) year in the Philippines after the age of 18 –A Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR) from the PSA valid within one (1) year from the date it was obtained.

If you were previously married, provide proof of termination of previous marriage/s: A Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR) from the PSA indicating the annulment or termination, your original divorce or annulment/presumptive death court records, and/or death certificate from the country where the celebration or occurrence took place, with English translation (if necessary). You may request PSA c  submit these documents directly to the US Embassy (recommended) here:  https://www.psaserbilis.com.ph/Default.aspx.

For IR5 and F4 petitions: An original birth certificate from PSA for your petitioner to verify the parent/child (IR5) or sibling (F4) relationship. If your petitioner was born outside the Philippines, you must bring the original birth certificate from their country of birth and its translation (if applicable). If you are the petitioner’s stepchild:  The marriage certificate of the petitioner and your biological parent, with English translation. If the marriage was celebrated in the Philippines—an original copy of the marriage certificate from PSA.

If you are adopted: Adoption papers or custody documents including a declaration of finality, with English translation.

For all employment-based visa applications (E2, E3, EW):

A notarized job offer letter stating a salary that meets the local prevailing wage from your U.S. employer dated less than one (1) year ago and a photocopy.

For E2, E3 applicant nurses:

  • An original of your valid visa screen and a photocopy.

  • Original CGFNS Certificate or Registered Nurse (RN) License or proof of passage of the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) exam.

    • NCLEX passers should include certification of which state they are registered in and a photocopy.

For E2, E3 applicant physical therapists: An original of your Foreign Credentialing Commission on Physical Therapy (FCCPT) and a photocopy.

  • Applicants who have already passed their National Physical Therapy Exam (NPTE) should include an original of their results and a photocopy.


back to top

Medical Exam Instructions

All immigrant visa applicants, regardless of age, require a medical examination prior to the issuance of a visa. It is your responsibility to schedule a medical exam with St. Luke’s Medical Center Extension Clinic two weeks before your visa interview at the U.S. Embassy. Medical examination results from other physicians will not be accepted. Prior to your visit, you are also encouraged to register online with SLMCEC. Registering online will save processing time and make your visit to SLMCEC faster and more efficient.

St.Approved Physicians:

St. Luke’s Medical Center Extension Clinic
1177 J. Bocobo St.
Ermita, Manila
Tel: (+632) 8521-0020 or (+632) 8521-8647

Items to bring to your medical examination

The doctor will need the following items to complete the medical exam forms:

  • Your visa interview letter,
  • Your passport,
  • Three (3) recently taken passport-sized color photographs, and
  • A copy of your immunization records, and
  • DS-260 confirmation page.

All medical examination fees, including x-ray and blood test fees, must be paid directly to SLMCEC. Refer to the SLMCEC website for information regarding the medical examination fees.

During the medical exam

The medical examination will include a medical history review, physical examination, chest X-ray, and blood tests (for applicants 15 years of age or older). The United States also requires tuberculosis (TB) testing for all applicants two years of age and older and gonorrhea testing for all applicants 15 years of age and older. Please be prepared to discuss your medical history, medications you are taking, and current treatments you are undergoing. More information on general medical requirements for U.S. immigrants is available on CDC web page.

U.S. immigration law requires immigrant visa applicants to obtain certain vaccinations prior to the issuance of a visa. Current immigrant visa vaccination requirements are available at CDC web page. You can also read Frequently Asked Questions about our medical examination requirements online.

After the medical exam

When your examination is completed, the doctor will provide you with exam results in a sealed envelope or send them directly to the U.S. Consulate. IF GIVEN AN ENVELOPE TO CARRY TO YOUR INTERVIEW, DO NOT OPEN THIS ENVELOPE. Instead, bring it to your visa interview. Any x-rays taken will be given to you. You DO NOT need to bring the x-rays to your visa interview unless you suffer from tuberculosis (TB). However, you must carry the x-rays with you when you travel to the United States for the first time. The medical report must be less than six months old when you enter the United States as an immigrant.

In some cases, the SLMCEC will direct the applicant to engage in subsequent testing, requiring rescheduling of the original visa appointment. You must follow the guidance from the medical provider and will not be admitted if this is the case. SLMCEC does have the authority to provide this guidance to applicants; following this guidance and not appearing for your interview is the correct course of action and will not adversely affect your visa case.

back to top

Interview Guidelines

Rescheduling or cancelling your interview

Failure to bring all required documents could lead to significant delays to getting a visa. Applicants who cannot complete the required documents checklist, or who know beforehand that they are unable to keep their appointment, should reschedule. You may reschedule the appointment by visiting the Embassy’s online service or calling (+632)7792-8988 or (+632)85488223.  There is no cost to reschedule your visa interview appointment. There is no cost to reschedule your visa interview appointment.

Security screening procedures

Visitors are not permitted to bring the following into the U.S. Embassy and will be denied entry if carrying:

  • Mobile phones or any kind of electronic or battery-operated devices such as smart watches, fitness trackers, cameras, computers, gaming devices, USB thumb drives, etc.
  • Any device with an on/off switch.
  • Outside food or drink (unless medically required).
  • Large bags/purses -- only bags that can be hand carried are permitted.
  • Sealed envelopes or packages.
  • Lighters, matches, or flame-generating devices.

This list is not exhaustive. Consular clients should leave these items at home or another safe location away from the Embassy. There is no storage at the Embassy, and the Embassy has no affiliation with any third-party commercial storage option in the area.

Accompanying persons

Attorneys are not permitted to accompany clients into the waiting room or to their interview. The following persons may accompany a visa applicant to their interview:

  • Applicants may bring ONE interpreter if they do not speak English or Filipino well enough for an interview.
  • Applicants may bring ONE person to help if they are elderly, disabled, or a minor child.

Immigrant visa fees

If you have not paid all required fees to either the National Visa Center or via the appointment website, please be prepared to pay these fees on the day of your interview. All fees may be paid in either U.S. dollars or the Philippine peso equivalent. We accept cash and credit cards only. Please note that if you are found ineligible to receive a visa, the application fee cannot be refunded. A complete list of fees can be found TSG.

Do not make travel plans outside of Philippines

If your visa is approved, we will keep your passport at the embassy while we prepare your immigration packet (if applicable) and print a visa for your passport. We will return your passport to you later via courier services only. If you have to travel within the Philippines while your passport is still with us, please make sure you have a valid picture ID other than your passport.

Register your passport for return delivery BEFORE your interview

To register your visa packet delivery address, please contact the Visa Information and Appointment Service online or through the call center.  Website: http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ph/ph-iv-documentdelivery.asp  Call Center (Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.):In the Philippines: (+632)-7792-8988 or (+632)-8548-8223

From the U.S. Mainland:  703-520-2235. If you do not take this step your passport will be considered abandoned and you risk losing eligibility for a visa.

back to top

After Your Visa Interview

A consular officer can make a decision on a visa application only after reviewing the formal application and interviewing the applicant. There is no guarantee that you will receive a visa. Do not sell your house, car, or property, resign from your job or make non-refundable flight or other travel arrangements until you have received your immigrant visa.

If more information is needed

Sometimes a Consular officer is unable to make a decision on a visa application because he/she needs to review additional documents or the case requires further administrative processing. When additional documents are requested, the Consular officer will give you a refusal letter that asks you to submit additional documents. The letter will include instructions on how to send those documents to the Embassy. Administrative processing takes additional time after the interview. and varies based on the circumstances of each case. Please wait at least 60 days after your interview before inquiring about the status of administrative processing.

What happens after visa approval

Passport, Visa, and Sealed Immigrant Packet – We will place your immigrant visa on a page in your passport. Please review your visa to make sure there are no spelling errors. We will also give you a sealed envelope containing documents that you must give to U.S. immigration authorities when you arrive in the United States for the first time. Do not open this envelope. You must carry it with you; do not put it in your checked luggage. If you receive X-rays during your medical examination, carry those with you and give them to the U.S. immigration authorities.

USCIS Immigrant Fee – All individuals who are issued immigrant visas overseas must pay a $220.00 Immigrant Fee to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) prior to traveling to the United States. This fee is for processing your residency status and printing your Permanent Resident Card. The only people exempt from paying this fee are: children entering the United States under the Hague Process, returning residents, and people traveling on a K visa.

When You Should Travel – You must enter the United States before the expiration date on your visa, which is usually six (6) months from the date of printing. Your visa cannot be extended and all fees are nonrefundable. The principal applicant must enter before or at the same time as other family members with visas. Unless they are eligible for benefits under the Child Status Protection Act, children who are issued a visa before turning 21 years of age must enter the United States before their 21st birthday to avoid losing their immigrant status.

Getting a Green Card – Your Form I-551 Permanent Resident Card, also known as a green card, will be automatically mailed to the address in the United States that you write in your visa application form. This is a very important document that proves you have permission to reside in the United States. If you plan to travel outside the U.S. before your green card arrives: Please consult USCIS’s and CBP’s websites for rules about what documents you need to re-enter the country.Once your card is issued, you should not stay outside of the United States for more than one year. If you do, you will lose your status as a Lawful Permanent Resident.

Children’s Issues – In the United States, children are required to have certain vaccinations before they can enroll in school. We recommend that you bring your child’s complete vaccination records with you to the United States. If your child is adopted, you have full custody as a result of a divorce, or you share custody with another parent, you should bring a copy of all applicable adoption or custodial papers from the authoritative court in your home country. You will need these papers (translated into English) for issues such as school enrollment, medical care, and eventual citizenship.

Information for New Immigrants – Please visit the USCIS web page for helpful information on moving to the United States. You can read their publication “Welcome to the United States: A Guide for New Immigrants” online.

back to top


Last Updated: 7/13/2022

Contact Information

U.S. Embassy Manila

1201 Roxas Boulevard 
Manila, Philippines 1000

(+632) 85488223
(+632) 77928988
Cancel and Reschedule