IDs Needed to Request Passport Vital Records

When you request a vital record (e.g. birth, death, marriage, or divorce) from Passport Services, you must submit one of the primary photo IDs below. If you cannot present a primary photo ID, you must present two secondary IDs.


Photo Identification

Submit a photocopy of the front and back of each ID that you present when you apply.

  • Photocopy must be on white, 8.5'' x 11" standard paper, black and white, and single sided.
  • Do not decrease the image size (although you may enlarge it).

Primary IDs (submit one):

  • Valid or expired, undamaged U.S. passport book or passport card 
  • In-state, fully valid driver's license or enhanced driver's license with photo
  • Certificate of Naturalization 
  • Certificate of Citizenship 
  • Government employee ID (city, county, state, or federal)
  • U.S. military or military dependent ID
  • Prison or inmate ID
  • Current (valid) foreign passport
  • Matricula Consular (Mexican Consular ID) - commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
  • U.S. Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) - commonly used by a parent of a U.S. citizen child applicant
  • Trusted Traveler IDs (including valid Global Entry, FAST, SENTRI, and NEXUS cards)
  • Enhanced Tribal Cards and Native American tribal photo IDs
  • Other documents: In-state, fully valid learner's permit with photo, In-state, fully valid non-driver ID with photo, and temporary driver's license with photo. Note: you may be asked to present an additional ID when presenting one of these 3 documents. 

Secondary IDs (submit two):

If you do not have primary ID from the list above, please submit 2 forms of secondary ID from the list below:

  • Out-of-state driver's license or enhanced driver's license with photo
  • Learner's or temporary driver's permit (without a photo)
  • In-state, fully valid non-driver ID (without a photo)
  • Out-of-state, non-driver ID
  • Temporary driver's license (without a photo)
  • Social Security card
  • Voter registration card
  • Employee work ID
  • Student ID
  • School yearbook with identifiable photograph
  • Selective Service (draft) card
  • Medicare or other health card
  • Expired driver's license 

Can I authorize someone to request my record?

If you do not have a valid ID, someone may make the request on your behalf. The individual making the request must be a family member or friend who has known you for at least five years. The individual must include in the request:

  1. Your written authorization. For example, 'I hereby authorize John Doe to request my replacement Consular Report of Birth Abroad on my behalf.'
    • This statement needs to be signed by you.
    • You must also submit a photocopy of two secondary IDs from the list above. 
  2. A notarized statement from the individual who is requesting records on your behalf.
  3. A copy of the valid primary photo ID of the individual making the request. 

Last Updated: December 12, 2022