How to Request a Copy of a Consular Report of Death Abroad (CRDA)

The U.S. embassy or consulate in the country the U.S. citizen died creates a Consular Report of Death Abroad (CRDA). We issue copies of CRDAs filed in 1975 or after to next of kin and legal representation for estate purposes.

Contact the National Archives and Records Administration for CRDAs issued before 1975.


Steps to request a copy

To request a copy, you must submit a:

1.  Notarized, completed Form DS-5542

  • Fill out the form on your computer
  • If you complete the form by hand, use black ink
  • Sign the form in front of a notary public to avoid delays

2. Photocopy of the front and back of your valid photo ID. Examples include:

  • State-issued driver’s license
  • Non-driver photo ID
  • Military ID
  • Passport
  • Prison or inmate ID

If you don't have any of these IDs, please see Passport Vital Records IDs.

3Check or money order. The cost is $50 for each record you request.

  • Make payable to the "U.S. Department of State"
  • Include a complete mailing address on the check
  • Must be payable in U.S. dollars through a U.S. bank

4. Mail Form DS-5542, a photocopy of the ID, and payment to:

    U.S. Department of State
    Passport Vital Records Section
    44132 Mercure Cir.
    PO Box 1213
    Sterling, VA  20166-1213

We can only provide official copies of records on file with the U.S. Department of State.

Processing Times

  • Once we receive your request in our office, we should process it in 4 to 8 weeks
  • Some documents may take longer than 8 weeks to locate. We do not offer expedited service.
  • Mailing times (which may add up to 4 weeks) are not included in processing times.
  • To avoid delays, provide complete information on your Form DS-5542 and include all your supporting documents.


We will send your vital record to you. You can select First Class Mail or 1-2 Day Delivery:

  • USPS First Class Mail: Takes one to two weeks. No extra charge. 
  • 1-2 Day Delivery Service: Add $21.36 to the check or money order. 

How to request an apostille on your document

An apostille certifies a document so countries in the 1961 Hague Convention will recognize it. 

We only put apostilles on CRDAs issued in the last five years. We cannot place an apostille on a CRDA issued overseas without certifying the signature of the officer on the record.

If you need an apostille on a CRDA, you must submit a:

  1. Notarized, completed Form DS-5542
  2. Photocopy of a valid photo ID (examples: state-issued driver's license, passport, or military ID) 
  3. Check or money order. The cost is $50 if you need a new copy of a CRDA.
    1. Make payable to the "U.S. Department of State"
    2. Include a complete mailing address on the check
    3. Must be payable in U.S. dollars through a U.S. bank

Mail your notarized Form DS-5542, photocopy of your ID, and payment to:

    U.S. Department of State
    Passport Vital Records
    44132 Mercure Circle
    PO Box 1213
    Sterling, VA 20166-1213

Last Updated: July 22, 2024