How to Request a Copy of a Consular Report of Death Abroad (CRDA)

Consular Report of Death Abroad can only be created overseas at a U.S. embassy or U.S. consulate in the country the U.S. citizen died. We issue copies of Consular Reports of Death Abroad filed in 1975 or after to next of kin and legal representation for estate purposes.

If the Consular Report of Death Abroad was issued before 1975, contact the National Archives and Records Administration.


How to Request a Copy of a Report of Death

To request a copy of a Consular Report of Death Abroad filed in 1975 or after, you must submit:

1. Submit a notarized  letter with the following information:

  • Full name of deceased (include first, middle, and last name)
  • Date of death (Month Date, Year) and place of death (City, Country)
  • Your signature
  • The mailing address where you want us to send the record
  • Your phone number
  • Your email address

2. Submit a copy of your valid photo ID (e.g. driver's license)

3. Send a $50.00 check or money order. Additional copies are $50.00 each. 

  • Payable to the “U.S. Department of State” 
  • Include a complete mailing address on the check
  • Checks and money orders must be payable in U.S. dollars through a U.S. bank
  • The Department is not responsible for cash lost in the mail

4. Mail the notarized request, copy of valid ID, and payment to:

       U.S. Department of State
       Passport Vital Records Section
       44132 Mercure Cir. 
       PO Box 1213
       Sterling, VA 20166-1213

Note: Avoid delays by notarizing your request and including a copy of your valid photo identification.

Processing Times

You should expect to receive your document in 3 to 4 months. Some documents may take longer than 16 weeks due to nationwide shipping delays. Because of the unique nature of our records, we cannot provide expedited service. We can only provide official copies of records that are on file with the U.S. Department of State.


We will send your vital record to you. You can select First Class Mail or 1-2 Day Delivery:

  • USPS First Class Mail: Takes one to two weeks. No additional charge. 
  • 1-2 Day Delivery Service: Add $18.32 to the $50.00 check or money order. 

How to Request an Apostille on your Consular Document

Apostilles are specialized certificates attached to your consular documents. If you need an apostille to satisfy foreign document requirements, you must submit a notarized request which states the foreign country the apostille is needed for and a copy of a valid state-issued ID (e.g. driver's license) to the address listed below. Apostilles can only be attached to Consular Reports of Death Abroad that were issued in the last five years.

If you need a CRDA with an apostille, you will need to request a copy from the Vital Records office for it to be applied. We cannot apply an apostille to a CRDA issued overseas without certifying the signature of the Authentication Officer on the record.

In addition to the Consular Report of Death Abroad, you can request other consular documents for $50 per copy:

You must ensure that the country for intended use is a member of the Hague Convention of October 5, 1961 Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization for Foreign Public Documents.  

Please send your notarized request and fee (if necessary) to:

    U.S. Department of State
    Passport Vital Records Section
    44132 Mercure Circle
    PO Box 1213
    Sterling, VA 20166-1213