Who may request a copy of this document:
- Next of kin
- Legal representation for estate purposes
To request a certified Copy of a Report of Death of a U.S. Citizen Abroad, you must submit:
1. A notarized request with the following information:
- Full name of the deceased
- Date and place of death
- Return address and telephone number
- Signature of requester
2. A copy of the requester's valid photo ID (e.g. driver's license)
3. A $50 check or money order for each certified copy of a Report of Death
- Payable to the “U.S. Department of State”
- Include a complete mailing address on the check
- The Department is not responsible for cash lost in the mail
4. Mail the notarized request, copy of valid ID, and payment to:
U.S. Department of State
Passport Vital Records Section
44132 Mercure Cir.
PO Box 1213
Sterling, VA 20166-1213
- PLEASE NOTE: Requests that are not notarized or do not include a copy of the requester's valid ID will be delayed.
- 1-2 Day Delivery: If you want your records returned to you in 1-2 days: include an additional $15.89 check or money order for USPS delivery, OR provide a pre-paid envelope for the delivery service provider of your choice
Call 202-485-8300 to check the status of your Report of Death request.