International Travel


While Abroad

How to Request a Copy of a Consular Report of Death Abroad (CRDA)

Who may request a copy of this document:

  • Next of kin
  • Legal representation for estate purposes

To request a certified Copy of a Report of Death of a U.S. Citizen Abroad, you must submit:

1. A notarized request with the following information:

  • Full name of the deceased
  • Date and place of death
  • Return address and telephone number
  • Signature of requester

2.  A copy of the requester's valid photo ID (e.g. driver's license)

3. A $50 check or money order for each certified copy of a Report of Death

  • Payable to the “U.S. Department of State” 
  • Include a complete mailing address on the check
  • The Department is not responsible for cash lost in the mail

4. Mail the notarized request, copy of valid ID, and payment to:

       U.S. Department of State
       Passport Vital Records Section
       44132 Mercure Cir. 
       PO Box 1213
       Sterling, VA 20166-1213

  • PLEASE NOTE: Requests that are not notarized or do not include a copy of the requester's valid ID will be delayed. 
  • 1-2 Day Delivery: If you want your records returned to you in 1-2 days: include an additional $15.89 check or money order for USPS delivery, OR provide a pre-paid envelope for the delivery service provider of your choice

Check Status

Call 202-485-8300 to check the status of your Report of Death request.


Learn about your destination