When you request a vital record (e.g. birth, death, marriage, or divorce) from Passport Services, you must submit one of the primary photo IDs below. If you cannot present a primary photo ID, you must present 3 secondary IDs.
Secondary IDs (submit three):
If you do not have primary ID from the list above, please submit 3 forms of secondary ID from the list below:
- Expired driver's license or state-issued ID (within 6 months after expiration date)
- Employee ID
- School ID
- Social Security card
- Veterans Affairs ID
- Voter registration card
- Pay stub (current)
- Bank statement (current)
- Car registration
- Utility bills
- Copy of Income Tax Return/W-2 Form
What if I don't have any of these IDs?
If you do not have a valid ID, someone may make the request on your behalf. He or she must be a family member or friend who has known you for at least five years. He or she must include in the request:
- Your written authorization. For example, I hereby authorize John Doe to request my replacement Consular Report of Birth Abroad on my behalf.
- This statement needs to be signed by you and the person requesting on your behalf.
- This statement needs to be notarized.
- A copy of valid photo ID of the person requesting on your behalf.
- A written statement from the person who is requesting on your behalf that verifies who you are.