Emergency Alert
September 17, 2017
Hurricanes Irma and Jose
Emergency Alert
October 2, 2017
Hurricane Maria

International Travel


While Abroad

Passport Vital Records IDs

When you request a vital record from Passport Services, you must submit a legible copy of your photo ID.

Acceptable IDs

  • State issued driver’s license
  • Non-driver photo ID
  • Military ID
  • Passport
  • Veterans Affairs ID
  • Prison ID

Acceptable IDs in Combination

Please submit one ID from the first column, two IDs from the second column, and the statement in the third column.

Pick One Pick Two Statement
  • Expired driver's license or state-issued ID (within 6 months after expiration date)
  • Employee ID
  • School ID
  • Utility Bills
  • Car registration
  • Pay stub (Current)
  • Bank statement (Current)
  • Copy of Income Tax Return/W-2 form
  • Mortgage or Rental agreement
I declare that I do not have a valid state or government issued photo ID and I am presenting two additional documents.

What if I don't have any of these IDs?

If you do not have a valid ID, someone may make the request on your behalf. They must be a family member or friend who has known you for five years. They must present:

  1. Your written authorization. For example, I hereby authorize John Doe to request my replacement Consular Report of Birth Abroad on my behalf.
    • This statement needs to be signed by you and the person requesting on your behalf.
    • This statement needs to be notarized.
  2. A copy of valid photo ID of the person requesting on your behalf.
  3. A statement from the person who is requesting on your behalf that verifies who you are.

Learn about your destination