Forced Marriage

A forced marriage is one that takes place at any age without the consent of one or both people in the marriage. Sometimes family members or others will threaten someone verbally or use physical force to make them agree to marriage or to remain in a marriage that they want to leave.  A U.S. citizen may feel that they are unable to return home to the United States over the objection of a spouse. If you are a U.S citizen and need help in such circumstances while overseas, you can:

  • Contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. You may also call our Overseas Citizens Services office in Washington, D.C. at 1-888-407-4747. If you are outside the United States and Canada, call 202-501-4444.
  • If you think calling the authorities would put you at risk, consider asking a friend to call them for you.
  • Check the “Special Circumstances” section of our Country Information pages. It has resources in the country you are visiting.

For more information:

Last Updated: February 23, 2024