Procedures for Evacuation:
- Anyone evacuated on U.S.-government coordinated transport, including charter and military flights, must sign an Evacuee Manifest and Promissory Note (Form DS-5528) note prior to departure.
- The promissory note obligates an evacuated person to repay the cost of the transportation to the U.S. government.
- Upon evacuation, a Department of State official must limit an evacuee’s passport. In order to obtain a new passport, an evacuee must arrange payment as agreed upon via the promissory note.
How to Repay a Promissory Loan:
- Promissory loan repayments are arranged by the Comptroller and Global Financial Services office in Charleston, South Carolina.
- The cost of the loan is based on the price of the last commercial one-way, full-fare (not discounted) economy ticket prior to the crisis.
- For more information about your promissory loan, contact:
Comptroller and Global Financial Services
Phone: 1-800-521-2116 or 843-746-0592
Hours: Monday to Friday from 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM ET
- If your passport was limited and have urgent travel, immediately contact the Comptroller and Global Financial Services, Accounts Receivable Branch, to set up a plan to allow for a replacement passport.
- U.S. citizens do not require a passport to travel from Puerto Rico to other parts of the United States. Check with your airline for identification requirements.