Request a Copy of a Consular Report of Death Abroad (CRDA)
Only Those Listed Below Are Authorized to Obtain a Copy of This Record:
- Next of kin
- Legal representation for estate purposes
All Consular Vital Records cost $50 per document.
To Request a Certified Copy of a Report of Death of an American Citizen Abroad you must submit:
A notarized written (or typed) request with the following information:
- Full name of the deceased
- Date and place of death
- A copy of requester’s valid identification
- Return address and telephone number
- Signature of requester
- Appropriate fees, payable to the “Department of State” by check or money order
- There is a $50 fee for each additional certified copy of a Report of Death
- The Department will assume no responsibility for cash lost in the mail.
Department of State
Passport Vital Records Section
44132 Mercure Cir.
PO Box 1213
Sterling, VA 20166-1213
PLEASE NOTE: REQUESTS THAT ARE NOT NOTARIZED OR DO NOT INCLUDE A COPY OF REQUESTER’S VALID ID WILL BE DELAYED.
You may send your request to our office using overnight delivery. To have your records returned to you using overnight delivery, include an additional $20.66 with your request fee or a pre-paid envelope for the delivery service provider of your choice.
To check the status of your Report of Death request, call (202) 485-8300.
Learn About Your Destination
Sign your passport, and fill in the emergency information. Make sure you have a signed, valid passport, and a visa, if required, and fill in the emergency information page of your passport.