Travel Advisories


Travel Advisories

Tajikistan Travel Advisory

Travel Advisory
January 10, 2018
Tajikistan – Level 1: Exercise normal precautions

Exercise normal precautions when traveling to Tajikistan. 

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page

If you decide to travel to Tajikistan:

Travel Advisory Levels
1 Exercise normal precautions, 2 Exercise increased caution, 3 Reconsider travel, 4 Do not travel

Republic of Tajikistan
Quick Facts

Six months


One page per entry stamp 









$3,000 USD


Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Dushanbe

109A, Ismoili Somoni Avenue
Dushanbe, Tajikistan 734019
Telephone: 992-37-229-2000 or 992-37-229-2300 (consular direct line)
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: 992-98-580-1032
Fax: 992-37-229-2050 

Destination Description

See the Department of State’s Fact Sheet on Tajikistan for information on U.S.-Tajikistan relations.

Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

See the Embassy of Tajikistan’s website for visa information. 

Requirements for Entry

  • Passport valid for at least six months

  • Visa

  • Tajik registration stamp for travelers on a non-tourist visa staying longer than two days. Travelers on a tourist visa staying less than 30 days do not need a registration stamp.

  • Visa support letter if you are traveling on a non-tourist visa.

Tourist visas 

Tourist visas are issued for up to 45 days, with no extensions or replacements allowed. Request a visa that allows for changing travel dates. 

Be sure to leave Tajikistan before your visa expires. 

Obtain a multiple-entry tourist visa if you plan to visit neighboring countries during your stay. 

Tourist visas can be obtained online or at the Dushanbe International Airport upon arrival. Multiple-entry visas for visits lasting longer than 45 days cannot be obtained online. 

You can also apply for visas at Tajik embassies or consulates if you are coming from: 

  • U.S.A.

  • Afghanistan

  • Austria

  • Belarus

  • Belgium

  • China

  • Egypt

  • Germany

  • India

  • Iran

  • Kazakhstan

  • Kyrgyzstan

  • Pakistan

  • Russian Federation

  • Turkey

  • Turkmenistan

  • United Arab Emirates

  • U.K.

  • Uzbekistan 

See the Government of Tajikistan website for further visa information. 

Non-tourist Visas: 

Tajik visa support letters are required for all non-tourist visas. Issued by the Tajik Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA), the letter confirms a visa may be issued upon your arrival at the Dushanbe airport. This “upon arrival” visa service does not apply to any other Tajik airports or land borders. 

To obtain a visa support letter, the inviting organization submits a request to the MFA at least two weeks before your travel date. When you are invited by a private Tajik resident (e.g., a friend or relative), that person requests a notification letter from the Department of Visas and Registration of the Ministry of Internal Affairs (OVIR). 

Tajik visa registration stamps are required for stays over two days: Register your visa within three days of entering the country. Journalists, official travelers, and employees of international organizations register with the MFA. All other travelers register with OVIR. Failure to register your visa can result in fines and delay your departure. 

Departure options from Tajikistan are limited. To maximize departure options, get extended visas for travel to countries with reliable connections to Tajikistan, including Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, China, and Russia. 

Transit Visas to Russia: When traveling from Tajikistan through Russia to a third country – including plane changes – you must have a transit visa for Russia. You cannot get a Russian visa at the airport. If you arrive in Russia without the appropriate visa, authorities may restrict you from future travel to Russia. See the U.S. Embassy Moscow website for further information. 

Dual Nationality: Tajikistan does not recognize dual citizenship with the United States. If you are a U.S.-Tajik dual citizen traveling on your own U.S. passport, be sure to have a valid Tajik visa in your U.S. passport. Otherwise, you may encounter problems with immigration authorities upon your departure from Tajikistan. 

HIV/AIDS Information: Some HIV/AIDS entry restrictions exist for visitors and foreign residents of Tajikistan. If you are in Tajikistan for more than 90 days, you must present a medical certificate confirming that you are HIV-free or take an HIV test in Tajikistan. If possible, verify this information with the Embassy of Tajikistan before traveling. 

Additional Information: Find information on dual nationality, the prevention of international child abduction, and customs regulations on  

Contact information for the Embassy of the Republic of Tajikistan

            1005 New Hampshire Avenue 

            Washington, DC 20037

            Phone: 202-223-6090

            Fax: 202-223-6091

            E-mail: (Consular section)

Safety and Security

Potential for Terrorist Activity: While terrorist organizations are known to have a presence in the region, terrorist attacks have been infrequent in recent years and focused on local government targets, such as law enforcement and security services. Other violent acts are generally criminal-on-criminal or criminal-on-security services activity related to the narcotics trade. 

Supporters of the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan (IMU), the Islamic Jihad Union (IJU), Jamaat Ansarullah, and al-Qaida may target U.S. government or private interests in the region, including Tajikistan. 

Travel in the mountainous region along the Afghan border can be dangerous, even during daylight hours. Avoid camping, biking, or sheltering in the open after dark, especially in unpopulated areas and areas close to Tajikistan’s borders with Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, and the Kyrgyz Republic. 

Terrorists may target residential areas, clubs and restaurants, places of worship, hotels, outdoor recreation events, and other venues, although Government of Tajikistan facilities remain the most likely target. Facilities catering to westerners in Tajikistan present a heightened risk. Avoid large crowds and public transportation. Demonstrations are rare. 

Restricted zone of Gorno-Badakhshan: Do not enter the Gorno-Badakhshan region without official permission. Persons violating the law may be detained by Tajik law enforcement. To enter this restricted zone, request a special permit from Tajik embassies/consulates or from the MFA or the “OVIR” registration department if within Tajikistan. Submit authorization requests at least two weeks in advance of your trip. If granted, authorities will annotate your passport with the names of the settlements and cities you are authorized to visit. An easier option is now available also. In September 2015, Tajikistan introduced a new way of getting a tourist visa online valid for one entry and 45 days. For an additional price this e-visa option allows you to apply for official permission to visit GBAO at the same time. Please visit the Republic of Tajikistan's e-Visa Application webpage for information on electronic visas to Tajikistan and instructions for a GBAO permit. 

Crime: Criminal activity in Dushanbe is moderate. Incidents are usually not violent, but muggings, armed robberies, and pick-pocketing do occur. Police do not provide adequate or immediate assistance, and often will not open minor or routine cases. 

Travel in pairs, especially at night. Sexual harassment of unaccompanied women is very common. Carry a copy of your passport (separate from your wallet) with you at all times. 

See the Department of State and the FBI webpages for information on scams. 

Victims of Crime: U.S. citizen victims of sexual assault should contact police or head to the nearest hospital to report the crime. Please also contact the U.S. Embassy at (992)-37-229-2000. 

The local equivalents to the “911” emergency line are: 

            01 for fire

            02 for police

            03 for ambulance service

            235-4545 for the State Traffic Inspectorate (GAI) duty officer for traffic control 

Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting crimes.

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas

We can:

  • help you find appropriate medical care

  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police

  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent

  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms

  • provide a list of local attorneys

  • provide our information on victim’s compensation programs in the U.S.

  • provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution

  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home

  • replace a stolen or lost passport. 

Domestic Violence: U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the U.S. Embassy for assistance. 

For further information: 

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned. 

Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the U.S., regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website. 

Arrest Notification:  If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. See our webpage for further information. 

Penalties for possessing, using, or trafficking in illegal drugs are severe. Expect long jail sentences and heavy fines if you are convicted. 

Tajikistan maintains zero tolerance for alcohol-related incidents. 

It is illegal to take pictures of certain buildings. Ask before taking photographs of anything of possible military or security interest. 

Always carry a copy of your U.S. passport, Tajik visa, and visa registration, since local police frequently conduct document inspections. Check your visa and registration validity dates regularly and renew them before they expire. 

Currency and Banking: Tajikistan is a cash-only economy. Credit cards are rarely accepted, and traveler’s checks are not used. 

International banking services are limited. Some ATM machines are available and dispense local currency. Tajikistan’s national currency is the Somoni, which is convertible. 

Earthquakes: Tajikistan is an earthquake-prone country. For information on natural disaster preparedness, see U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)

Faith-Based Travelers: See our following webpages for details: 

LGBTI Travelers: There are no legal restrictions on same-sex sexual relations or the organization of LGBTI events, although Tajik society is generally hostile to LGBTI interests. See our LGBTI Travel Information page and section 6 of our Human Rights report for further details. 

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance: Buildings, public transportation, communication, and road crossings are inaccessible. 

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips

Women Travelers: See our travel tips for Women Travelers


Medical care is limited and significantly below U.S. standards, with severe shortages of basic medical supplies, including disposable needles, anesthetics, prescriptions drugs, and antibiotics. 

There have been outbreaks of the following diseases: 

  • Water-borne diseases (such as Giardia)

  • Hemorrhagic Fever

  • Hepatitis A, B & C (frequently transmitted through medical and dental procedures)

  • Malaria – in the southern region at Afghan border

  • Tuberculosis (including multidrug-resistant (MDR-TB) and extensively drug-resistant (XDR-TB) varieties)

  • Typhoid – in Dushanbe and the southern provinces of Khatlon

  • Rabies

  • Chicken Pox 

Drink bottled or thoroughly boiled water while in Tajikistan. Avoid contact with street dogs in urban areas. 

We do not pay medical bills. Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas. 

Medical Insurance: Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most care providers overseas only accept cash payments. See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage

We strongly recommend supplemental insurance to cover medical evacuation. 

Prescriptions: If traveling with prescription medication, check with the government of Tajikistan’s website to ensure that the medication is legal in Tajikistan. Always carry your prescription medication in original packaging, along with your doctor’s prescription. 

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 

Further health information:

Travel and Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety: Travel is difficult and unreliable. Neighboring countries sometimes unilaterally close borders, many border crossing points are not open to foreigners, and some borders are poorly delineated and even mined. Armed police or military checkpoints can make road travel outside Dushanbe more difficult. 

Some of the the most common dangers encountered in Tajikistan are related to poor road infrastructure and natural events such as rock slides and avalanches, particularly in winter. Exercise caution on rural or mountainous roads, especially in underpopulated areas. 

Drivers with non-Tajik government-issued plates may run into problems crossing the Tajik-Uzbek border, and can also expect to be stopped by police often in Dushanbe. 

Only travel by car during the day and on routes you know. Travel in the mountainous region along the Afghan border can be dangerous, even during daylight hours. 

Car accidents and erratic driving are common. Pedestrians tend to “jaywalk” or walk along highways without paying attention to traffic. 

Public transportation in the city is often overcrowded and not always safe. Bus service between major cities is unreliable. 

The State Traffic Inspectorate (GAI, or in Tajiki, BDA) maintains checkpoints in cities and along highways. The GAI frequently stops vehicles to inspect vehicles and driver documents. The government will not register vehicles with darkly tinted windows. 

Traffic police are notorious for randomly pulling over cars and exacting bribes. In Dushanbe, luxury cars and those with government license plates routinely speed past police, sometimes on the wrong side of the road and through stoplights, while other cars are flagged down for “document checks.” 

Winter Road Travel: Please exercise caution and limit winter travel to Tajikistan’s mountain regions. Avalanches are common. Don’t attempt to travel over closed mountain passes. Roads are often not well maintained.  Please see the Ministry of Tajikistan's website for the most up-to-date information. 

Land Mines: Land mines and cluster munitions are a hazard along the Afghan-Tajik and Uzbek-Tajik borders, as well as in theVakhsh and Rasht valleys. Heed land mine warning signs. Do not venture off the road into areas marked off with red and white plastic tape. Never touch anything resembling unexploded munitions. 

See our Road Safety page for more information. 

Aviation Safety Oversight: As there is no direct commercial air service to the United States by carriers registered in Tajikistan, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has not assessed the government of Tajikistan’s Civil Aviation Authority for compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards. Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page.

Hague Convention Participation
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention?
enter text here
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention?
enter text here
Learn why the Hague Abduction Convention Matters.
What You Can Do
Learn how to respond to abductions FROM the US
Learn how to respond to abductions TO the US
Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Dushanbe

109A, Ismoili Somoni Avenue
Dushanbe, Tajikistan 734019
Telephone: 992-37-229-2000 or 992-37-229-2300 (consular direct line)
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: 992-98-580-1032
Fax: 992-37-229-2050 

General Information
enter link here
Hague Abduction Convention
enter text here
enter text here
enter text here
Retaining an Attorney
enter text here
enter text here

Exercising Custody Rights

While travelling in a foreign country, you are subject to the laws of that country. It is important for parents to understand that, although a left-behind parent in the United States may have custody or visitation rights pursuant to a U.S. custody order, that order may not be valid and enforceable in the country in which the child is located.  For this reason, we strongly encourage you to speak to a local attorney if planning to remove a child from a foreign country without the consent of the other parent.  Attempts to remove your child to the United States may:

  • Endanger your child and others;
  • Prejudice any future judicial efforts; and
  • Could result in your arrest and imprisonment.

The U.S. government cannot interfere with another country’s court or law enforcement system.

To understand the legal effect of a U.S. order in a foreign country, a parent should consult with a local attorney in the country in which the child is located.  

For information about hiring an attorney abroad, see our section on Retaining a Foreign Attorney. 

Although we cannot recommend an attorney to you, most U.S. Embassies have lists of attorneys available online. Please visit the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate website for a full listing.

For more information on consular assistance for U.S. citizens arrested abroad, please see our website.

Country officers are available to speak with you Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  For assistance with an abduction in progress or any emergency situation that occurs after normal business hours, on weekends, or federal holidays, please call toll free at 1-888-407-4747. See all contact information.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this flyer is provided for general information only, is not intended to be legal advice, and may change without notice. Questions involving interpretation of law should be addressed to an attorney licensed in the relevant jurisdiction. 


Hague Convention Participation
Hague Adoption Convention Country?
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

Tajikistan is not party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention). Therefore, when the Hague Adoption Convention entered into force for the United States on April 1, 2008, intercountry adoption processing for Tajikistan did not change.

The Department of State does not maintain detailed files on the adoption process in Tajikistan because adoptions from Tajikistan are rare. Under a May 3, 2006 amendment to Tajikistan's Family Code, intercountry adoption of Tajik orphans is prohibited. While couples which consist of at least one Tajik citizen may still be allowed to adopt, all other adoption by non-Tajik citizens is expressly forbidden by Tajik law.

The Adoption Authority in Tajikistan is the Department of Care and Guardianship, which is under the Tajik Ministry of Education. The district education committee in the child's place of residence and the local Mayor's office also play a part in any type of adoption process. If the adoption/guardianship process is successful, the Tajik Ministry of Education issues the official adoption/guardianship legal documents. For additional information about adoption or applying for guardianship of a Tajik child, please contact the Ministry of Education or the Embassy of the Republic of Tajikistan in the U.S.

Ministry of Education of the Republic of Tajikistan

734024, RT, Dushanbe, 13-", Nosirmuhammad St.
Phone .: (992-37) 221-4605
Fax : (992-37) 221-7041.

The Embassy of the Republic of Tajikistan
1005 New Hampshire Avenue, N.W., Washington D.C., 20037
Phone: 202-223-6090
Fax: 202-223-6091
Email: (Consular section)
The Embassy is open from 08.00 am to 05.00 pm, Monday-Friday.
The consular section is open from 09.00 am to 12.00 pm, Monday-Friday

Prospective adoptive parents who are well-along in the Tajik process may contact the Consular Section in Dushanbe for information regarding the U.S. immigration process. All applications for immigrant visas, however, are processed by the United States Consulate, Almaty, Kazakhstan.

U.S. Embassy Dushanbe Consular Section
109A Ismoili Somoni Ave.
Dushanbe, Tajikistan
Phone: 992-37-229-2300
Fax: 992-37-229-2309

Who Can Adopt
enter text here
Who Can Be Adopted
enter text here
How to Adopt
enter text here
Traveling Abroad
enter text here
After Adoption
enter text here
Contact Information
enter text here

Reciprocity Schedule

Select a visa category below to find the visa issuance fee, number of entries, and validity period for visas issued to applicants from this country*/area of authority.

Explanation of Terms

Visa Classification: The type of nonimmigrant visa you are applying for.

Fee: The reciprocity fee, also known as the visa issuance fee, you must pay. This fee is in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee (MRV fee).

Number of Entries: The number of times you may seek entry into the United States with that visa. "M" means multiple times. If there is a number, such as "One", you may apply for entry one time with that visa.

Validity Period: This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used, from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel with that visa. If your Validity Period is 60 months, your visa will be valid for 60 months from the date it is issued.

Visa Classifications
Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple A B 24 Months A B
A-2 None Multiple 24 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 24 Months
B-1 None Multiple 12 Months
B-2 None Multiple 12 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 12 Months
C-1 None Multiple 3 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 12 Months
C-2 None Multiple 3 Months
C-3 None Multiple 3 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 24 Months
E-1 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2C 12 None Multiple 12 Months
F-1 None Multiple 12 Months
F-2 None Multiple 12 Months
G-1 None C C
G-2 None Multiple 12 Months
G-3 None One 3 Months
G-4 None Multiple 12 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 12 Months
H-1B None Multiple 12 Months 3
H-1C None Multiple 12 Months 3
H-2A None N/A N/A 3
H-2B None N/A N/A 3
H-2R None Multiple 12 Months 3
H-3 None Multiple 12 Months 3
H-4 None Multiple 12 Months 3
I None D D
J-1 4 None Multiple 12 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 12 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Multiple 12 Months
L-2 None Multiple 12 Months
M-1 None Multiple 12 Months
M-2 None Multiple 12 Months
N-8 None Multiple 12 Months
N-9 None Multiple 12 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 None Multiple 12 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 12 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 12 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 12 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 12 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 12 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 12 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 12 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 12 Months
R-2 None Multiple 12 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 60 Months
V-2 None Multiple 60 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 60 Months 8
Country Specific Footnotes
  1. Diplomatic couriers may be issued A-1 visas valid for multiple entries within 24 months or one entry within 3 months, depending upon the request of the host government. Courier visas are to be issued within 3 to 5 days from application.

  2. Non-diplomatic employees of the host government embassy and consulates in the U.S. may be issued visas valid for 24 months and for one entry, depending on request of the host government.

  3. Principal resident representative and members of the immediate family may receive visas valid for 12 months, multiple entries. Others classified G-1 may receive visas valid for 3 months and for one entry.

  4. Correspondents assigned to, and to be resident in, the U.S. and members of their immediate families may be issued visas valid for 12 months, multiple entries. Other correspondents classified as I may receive visas valid for three months and for one entry.

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes
  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents

Civil documents, except as noted below, are available in Tajikistan. Certified copies of available documents may be exported. The person to whom the record pertains must obtain a certified copy at a local notary office and authenticate the notary's seal and signature at the Ministry of Justice.

Copies of the documents obtained directly from the ZAGS archives should be legalized at the Department of Legal Assistance to Citizens, Ministry of Justice, and authenticated at the Consular Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs. A consular officer at the American Embassy can authenticate the signature of the MFA official. Certified copies of available documents may be exported.

Some civil records were destroyed during World War II and may not be available. Local authorities generally will issue a certificate to that effect, although the process may take months.

Documents can be requested through the Embassy of Tajikistan in Washington, D.C., by submitting an application requesting the document. This process can take several months to complete.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates

Enter text here.

Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Enter text here.

Adoption Certificates

Please check back for update.

Identity Card

Please check back for update.

Police, Court, Prison Records

Police and Prison Records

Tajik citizens should apply for a police certificate at Information Centers of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Tajikistan. Non-Tajik citizens should apply at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Tajikistan. Applicants, both Tajik and non-Tajik citizens, residing outside Tajikistan may submit the request through the Tajik Mission in their country of residence.

Military Records

Available upon official written request to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The U.S. Embassy in Dushanbe can provide an official letter for use in obtaining these documents for immigrant visa applicants. Individuals who have served in the military are issued a military service document ("voyenniy bilet") which contains information on the length of service and circumstances of discharge. If the military service document is lost, a replacement certificate can be issued, by Voenkomat (regional and district branches of the Ministry of Defense), which has jurisdiction over an applicant's most recent place of residence.

Passports & Other Travel Documents

Please check back for update.

Other Records

Internal Residence Documents

There are several types of residence documents in Tajikistan. Tajikistan continues to use domestic passports for travel and registration of Tajik nationals within country. These contain identifying information about the bearer and specify a residential address, marital status, and the bearer’s military service obligation. All domestic passports are limited by the next reissuing date. The primary identification document for children under 16 is their birth certificate. Separately issued international passports for travel outside of Tajikistan are machine-readable with a blue cover. An expiration date of five (5) years from the date of passport issuance should be recorded. 

Visa Issuing Posts

Dushanbe, Tajikistan (Embassy)

109 A Ismoili Somoni Ave., Dushanbe 734019 Tajikistan

Tel: 992-37-229-23-00

Fax: 992-37-229-23-09

Visa Services

IV & K visa applications for nationals of Tajikistan are processed by the U.S. Embassy in Almaty, Kazakhstan.

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information

Washington, DC (202) 223-6090 (202) 223-6091

Assistance for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Embassy Dushanbe
109A, Ismoili Somoni Avenue
Dushanbe, Tajikistan 734019
992-37-229-2300(consular direct line)
Tajikistan Map

Search for Travel Advisories
Additional Information for Reciprocity

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.