Travel Advisories


Travel Advisories

Oman Travel Advisory

Travel Advisory
January 10, 2018
Oman – Level 1: Exercise normal precautions

Exercise normal precautions in Oman. Some areas have increased risk.  Read the entire Travel Advisory.

Do not travel to:

  • The Saudi Arabia and Yemen border areas due to terrorism and armed conflict.

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.

If you decide to travel to Oman:

Saudi Arabia and Yemen border areas

Terrorist attacks and violence are likely near the border with Yemen, and on the western portion of the border with Saudi Arabia. Crossing the Oman border into Yemen can be dangerous, and U.S. citizens who attempt to cross the Oman-Yemen border, from either Oman or Yemen, are routinely detained by Omani authorities.

Visit our website for High-Risk Travelers.

Travel Advisory Levels
1 Exercise normal precautions, 2 Exercise increased caution, 3 Reconsider travel, 4 Do not travel

Sultanate of Oman
Quick Facts

6 months


1 page per entry stamp




Yellow fever (when coming from an area with yellow fever outbreaks)


Declare amounts over 20,000 USD 


Declare amounts over 20,000 USD

Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Muscat

Jamiat A'Duwal Al Arabiya Street,
Al Khuwair Area (Shatti Al-Qurum), Muscat

Telephone: +(968) 2464-3400

Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(968) 2464-3400

Fax: +(968) 2464-3535

Destination Description

See the Department of State’s Fact Sheet on Oman for information on U.S.- Oman relations. 

Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

See the government of Oman’s website for visa information.

Requirements for Entry:

  • Passport valid for at least six months
  • Visa

Penalties for expired passports or visas include fines and/or imprisonment.

Tourist Visas: 

  • U.S. citizens are encouraged to apply for tourist visas in advance via the Royal Oman Police E-Visa website. Tourist visas are also available upon arrival at airports and land crossings. Tourist visas are not issued at Mazoonah and Sarfait (Oman-Yemen land borders).
  • The current list of visa types and a schedule of fees are available at the Royal Oman Police website.
  • Have proof of adequate funds and an onward/return ticket.

Avoid Travel to Yemen: We strongly advise U.S. citizens against travel to Yemen.  Crossing the Yemen-Oman border can be dangerous, and U.S. citizens who do so are routinely detained by Omani authorities.  See our Yemen Crisis webpage for further information.

Oman does not recognize dual nationality. Omani authorities may confiscate your U.S. passport if you have Oman/U.S. dual nationality.  Should this happen, contact the U.S. Embassy. This does not constitute loss of U.S. citizenship.

Children of Omani fathers automatically acquire Omani citizenship at birth and must enter and exit Oman on their Omani passports.

Omani/U.S. dual nationals are subject to all Omani laws, including those placing special obligations on citizens of Oman.

Expect considerable delays if your U.S. passport is lost or stolen. Before receiving a replacement passport, Omani law requires that you:

  • report the loss/ theft to the Royal Oman Police
  • place an advertisement in local papers about the lost/stolen passport

For further details, see the Royal Oman Police website.

Yellow fever vaccinations are required if you are coming from a country with yellow fever outbreaks.

HIV/AIDS entry restrictions apply to visitors and foreign residents.  HIV/AIDS testing is required upon arrival for people on work or immigrant visas.  Oman does not accept U.S. HIV/AIDS testing.  Verify this information with the government of Oman before traveling.

Customs Regulations:

  • Pornographic materials and firearms are prohibited.
  • Muslim travelers are forbidden to bring in alcohol.
  • Non-Muslim travelers can bring in two bottles of alcohol bought at a duty-free shop.

Find information on dual nationalityprevention of international child abduction and customs regulations on our websites.

Safety and Security

Potential for Terrorist Activity:  To date, there have been no terrorist attacks against U.S. citizens in Oman.  Regionally, terrorists continue to target U.S. and Western interests in the Middle East and North Africa. Please review the Worldwide Caution before traveling.

Safety Precautions:

  • Avoid public demonstrations and large gatherings.
  • Monitor local media broadcasts and consular messages.
  • Vary travel routes and times when possible.
  • Report security concerns to Omani police and the U.S. Embassy.

MARAD Report: According to the United States Maritime Administration (MARAD), U.S. flag vessels in the Gulf of Oman, North Arabian Sea, Gulf of Aden, and the Bab el Mandeb regions face an elevated risk of attacks by violent extremists.

U.S. flag vessels should report suspicious activity to:

  • COMUSNAVCENT battle watch captain at 011-973-1785-3879
  • U.S. Coast Guard National Response Center at 1-800-424-8802 (toll-free), 202-267-2675, or 202-267-4477 (TDD).

See the complete advisory at the MARAD website.

Crime: There is minimal street crime in Oman, and violent crime is rare.

See the Department of State and the FBI pages for information on scams.

Victims of Crime:  U.S. citizen victims of sexual assault should first contact the U.S. Embassy.  U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the Embassy for assistance.

  • Report crimes to the local police at 9999.
  • Contact the U.S. Embassy at +968 2464-3400.
  • Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting crimes.
  • See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • help you find appropriate medical care
  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • provide a list of local attorneys
  • provide information on victim’s compensation programs in the United States
  • provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution
  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home
  • replace a stolen or lost passport

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties:  You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned. 

Some laws are also prosecutable in the U.S., regardless of local law.  For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Arrest Notification:  If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. Omani authorities typically do not permit foreigners accused of crimes to leave the country while cases are open.

See our webpage for further information.

Carry your passport at all times, or you could be detained.

It is illegal to photograph certain buildings.

Alcohol and Drugs: You may be arrested for possession of alcohol or driving under the influence. Drinking is permitted in hotels, bars, homes, and some restaurants.

Penalties for possession, use, or trafficking in illegal drugs include lengthy jail sentences and heavy fines.

Motor Vehicle Violations:  Traffic laws are strictly enforced and carry heavy penalties, such as a $1200 fine and/or one year in jail for running a red light. Remote traffic cameras are extensively used to monitor speeding and stop light infractions.

Immigration officials have ready access to information on traffic offenses, and violators cannot depart Oman unless all fines have been paid in full.

Personal Defamation charges:

  • Using vulgar language or hand gestures can lead to personal defamation charges. 
  • An accusation alone, regardless of who files it, can initiate a legal process.
  • U.S. citizens can usually resolve these cases with a formal apology and payment of damages to the aggrieved party.

Cultural Heritage Items:  To avoid prosecution, check first with Omani authorities before taking “cultural heritage items” such as archaeological artifacts, meteorites, or stones. 

Notary Services: All foreign public documents (Birth, Marriage, Death, Divorce, academic records, etc.), such as for employment qualification or residency visas, need to be apostilled for use in Oman,. The U.S. Embassy in Oman cannot apostille any documents issued in the U.S.  See our website for designated authorities in the U.S. that can issue an apostille.

Employment in Oman: Although a common practice, it is illegal for Omani employers to retain your passport. Such retention could grant undue leverage to your employer in case of a dispute. U.S. passports are the property of the U.S. government.

We cannot intervene in labor disputes. At the beginning of any employment, obtain a contract that clearly states the terms of employment. Try to resolve disputes privately with your employer. If this fails, consult our list of lawyers.

Dress Code: Be sensitive to Islamic culture and do not wear sleeveless shirts, halter-tops, or shorts. Only wear athletic clothing in public when engaged in sports activities.

Currency: U.S. bills printed before 2006 are often not accepted. Local currency is easily available from ATMs or currency exchange counters.

Faith-Based Travelers:  See our following webpages for details:

LGBTI Travelers: Consensual same-sex sexual conduct is illegal and subject to a jail term of six months to three years. See our LGBTI Travel page and section 6 of our Human Rights report for further details.

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance: Public transportation is generally inaccessible. Handicapped parking spaces are scarce.

Most medical facilities and public buildings in cities have wheelchair ramps and elevators. Outside of urban areas, access is greatly reduced.

Omanis will generally try to accommodate reasonable requests for assistance.

Women Travelers: Women travelers are more likely to be affected by religious and cultural beliefs of the foreign countries they visit and may face greater obstacles, especially when travelling or living overseas alone. See our travel tips for Women Travelers


Modern medical facilities and Western-style pharmacies are available. Local medical treatment varies from quite good to inadequate, depending on location.

Hospital emergency treatment is available.

We do not pay medical bills. Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not cover costs overseas.  

Medical Insurance:  Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most care providers overseas only accept cash payments. See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage

We strongly recommend supplemental insurance to cover medical evacuation.

Medications:  Carry prescription medication in original packaging, along with your doctor’s prescription. Check with the government of Oman to ensure the medication is legal.

Vaccinations:  Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Further health information:

Travel and Transportation

Road Conditions: Road conditions in cities and along major highways are good. Road conditions in rural areas range from good to poor. During rare instances of rain, roads are prone to flash flooding.

Travel between cities can be dangerous due to poor lighting, wandering livestock, and speeding drivers.

Public Transportation: Public transportation is generally safe, although vehicles may swerve to pick up passengers without warning.

Traffic Violations:

The following traffic violations may result in jail sentences, fines, and/or deportation:

  • driving without a license
  • running a red light
  • driving under the influence of alcohol
  • failure to wear a seat belt
  • talking on cell phones while driving (hands-free technology is allowed)
  • excessive speeding or overtaking another vehicle
  • failure to maintain a clean car

When involved in a traffic violation, cooperate with police officers and do not attempt to negotiate payment.

If you are involved in traffic accident that involves injuries, death, or material damage to vehicles, do not move your vehicle until the police give you permission. Moving your car may be interpreted as an admission of guilt.  For minor traffic accidents with no damage or injuries, you may move your vehicle to the side of the road.

For further information on minor traffic accidents, see that section on the Royal Oman Police website.

Traffic Guidelines:

  • Traffic circles are common. The driver already in the circle always has priority.
  • Drivers flashing high beams are signaling that they want to pass.
  • Do not turn right on a red traffic signal.

Driving License Requirements:

  • Short-term visitors with a U.S. driver’s license may drive rental vehicles, but not privately registered cars.
  • Residents must have an Omani driver's license.
  • To obtain an Omani license, you must take a vision test and either have a U.S. license (with proof of being licensed for at least two years) or take a driving test.

Car Insurance:

  • Insure rental cars against death, injury, and loss or damage.
  • Residents may insure their vehicles outside the Sultanate; however, third party liability insurance must be purchased locally.

Emergency Services: Ambulance service is generally adequate, with response times that vary. When possible, drive to the nearest hospital or clinic rather than waiting for an ambulance.

For all traffic-related emergencies, call the Royal Oman Police at 9999.  Have an Arabic speaker call when giving directions to a location, since English-speaking operators are not always available.

See our Road Safety page  or the Royal Oman Police website for further information.

Aviation Safety Oversight:  As there is no direct commercial air service to the United States by carriers registered in Oman, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has not assessed the Government of Oman’s Civil Aviation Authority for compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards. See the FAA’s safety assessment page for further information.

Hague Convention Participation
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention?
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention?
What You Can Do
Learn how to respond to abductions FROM the US
Learn how to respond to abductions TO the US
Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Muscat

Jamiat A'Duwal Al Arabiya Street,
Al Khuwair Area (Shatti Al-Qurum), Muscat

Telephone: +(968) 2464-3400

Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(968) 2464-3400

Fax: +(968) 2464-3535

General Information

For information concerning travel to Oman, including information about the location of the U.S. Embassy, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for Oman.

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on International Parental Child Abduction (IPCA).  The report is located here.

Hague Abduction Convention

Oman is not a signatory to the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention), nor are there any bilateral agreements in force between Oman and the United States concerning international parental child abduction. 


Legal systems and laws pertaining to custody, divorce, and parental abduction vary widely from country to country. Parents are encouraged to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law in Oman and who can provide accurate legal guidance that is specific to their circumstances. 

The Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizens Services, Office of Children's Issues provides assistance in cases of international parental child abduction. For U.S. citizen parents whose children have been wrongfully removed to or retained in countries that are not U.S. partners under the Hague Abduction Convention, the Office of Children's Issues can provide information and resources about country-specific options for pursuing the return of or access to an abducted child. The Office of Children's Issues may also coordinate with appropriate foreign and U.S. government authorities about the welfare of abducted U.S. citizen children. Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance.

Contact information:

Bureau of Consular Affairs
Office of Children's
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Telephone:  1-888-407-4747
Outside the United States or Canada: 1-202-501-4444

Parental child abduction may be considered a crime in Oman depending on the circumstances surrounding the child's removal. Parents are encouraged to consult with an attorney in Oman to determine if their particular case qualifies as a crime under Omani law.

Parents may wish to consult with an attorney in the United States and in the country to which the child has been removed or retained to learn more about how filing criminal charges may impact a custody case in the foreign court. Please see Possible Solutions - Pressing Criminal Charges for more information. 


Legal systems and laws pertaining to custody, divorce, and parental abduction vary widely from country to country. Parents are encouraged to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law in Oman and who can provide accurate legal guidance that is specific to their circumstances.

The Office of Children's Issues may be able to assist parents seeking access to children who have been wrongfully removed from or retained outside the United States. Parents who are seeking access to children who were not wrongfully removed from or retained outside the United States should contact the U.S. Embassy in Oman for information and possible assistance.

Retaining an Attorney

Neither the Office of Children's Issues nor consular officials at the U.S. Embassy in Oman are authorized to provide legal advice.

The U.S. Embassy in Muscat, Oman, posts a list of attorneys, including those who specialize in family law.

This list is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the following persons or firms.  Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the lawyers.


The Family Development Department, located in the Omani Ministry of Social Development, plays a role in providing counseling in family dispute cases involving children.  Parents may contact the Family Development Department by telephone at +968 2464 5000 or via their website.

Exercising Custody Rights

While travelling in a foreign country, you are subject to the laws of that country. It is important for parents to understand that, although a left-behind parent in the United States may have custody or visitation rights pursuant to a U.S. custody order, that order may not be valid and enforceable in the country in which the child is located.  For this reason, we strongly encourage you to speak to a local attorney if planning to remove a child from a foreign country without the consent of the other parent.  Attempts to remove your child to the United States may:

  • Endanger your child and others;
  • Prejudice any future judicial efforts; and
  • Could result in your arrest and imprisonment.

The U.S. government cannot interfere with another country’s court or law enforcement system.

To understand the legal effect of a U.S. order in a foreign country, a parent should consult with a local attorney in the country in which the child is located.  

For information about hiring an attorney abroad, see our section on Retaining a Foreign Attorney. 

Although we cannot recommend an attorney to you, most U.S. Embassies have lists of attorneys available online. Please visit the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate website for a full listing.

For more information on consular assistance for U.S. citizens arrested abroad, please see our website.

Country officers are available to speak with you Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  For assistance with an abduction in progress or any emergency situation that occurs after normal business hours, on weekends, or federal holidays, please call toll free at 1-888-407-4747. See all contact information.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this flyer is provided for general information only, is not intended to be legal advice, and may change without notice. Questions involving interpretation of law should be addressed to an attorney licensed in the relevant jurisdiction. 


Hague Convention Participation
Hague Adoption Convention Country?
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

Oman is not party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention or Convention). Intercountry adoptions of children from non-Convention countries are processed in accordance with 8 Code of Federal Regulations, Section 204.3 as it relates to orphans as defined under the Immigration and Nationality Act, Section 101(b)(1)(F).

U.S. citizen prospective adoptive parents living in Oman who wish to adopt a child from the United States or from a third country should also contact Muscat’s adoption authority (see contact information below).

Below is the limited adoption information that the Department of State has obtained from the adoption authority of Oman:

The Ministry of Social Affairs, Child Affairs Directorate, is responsible for children’s issues in Oman. Omani law does not permit adoption of Omani children in Oman but does permit guardianship if the individual(s) seeking guardianship are Omani citizens of Muslim faith. Non-Omani citizens are precluded from obtaining legal guardianship of an Omani child. Guardianship by a Muslim married couple, where one spouse is an Omani citizen and the other spouse is a U.S. citizen, is possible. U.S. citizens who are married to Omani citizens and considering adoption of a Muslim Omani child must obtain guardianship for emigration and adoption in the United States from the Ministry of Social Welfare. Guardianship of Omani children for purposes emigration and adoption in the U.S. are rare. Prospective adoptive parents should refer to our information sheet on Adoption of Children from Countries in which Islamic Shari'a Law is observed for more information.

Caution: Prospective adoptive parents should be aware that not all children in orphanages or children’s homes are adoptable. In many countries, birth parents place their child(ren) temporarily in an orphanage or children’s home due to financial or other hardship, intending that the child return home when this becomes possible. In such cases, the birth parent(s) have rarely relinquished their parental rights or consented to their child(ren)’s adoption.

Please visit the Department of State’s Country Specific Information for more information on travelling to Oman and the U.S. Embassy in Muscat’s website for information on consular services.

Ministry of Social Affairs, Child Affairs Directorate
Contact person: Ms. Suad Al Yazidi
Tel: +2469-6632 or 2469-6608

Who Can Adopt
enter text here
Who Can Be Adopted
enter text here
How to Adopt
enter text here
Traveling Abroad
enter text here
After Adoption
enter text here
Contact Information
enter text here

Reciprocity Schedule

Select a visa category below to find the visa issuance fee, number of entries, and validity period for visas issued to applicants from this country*/area of authority.

Explanation of Terms

Visa Classification: The type of nonimmigrant visa you are applying for.

Fee: The reciprocity fee, also known as the visa issuance fee, you must pay. This fee is in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee (MRV fee).

Number of Entries: The number of times you may seek entry into the United States with that visa. "M" means multiple times. If there is a number, such as "One", you may apply for entry one time with that visa.

Validity Period: This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used, from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel with that visa. If your Validity Period is 60 months, your visa will be valid for 60 months from the date it is issued.

Visa Classifications
Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 24 Months
A-2 None Multiple 24 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 24 Months
B-1 $15.00 Multiple 24 Months
B-2 None Multiple 24 Months
B-1/B-2 $15.00 Multiple 24 Months
C-1 None Multiple 24 Months
C-1/D $15.00 Multiple 24 Months
C-2 None Two 6 Months
C-3 None Two 6 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D $15.00 Multiple 24 Months
E-1 2 None Multiple 6 Months
E-2 2 None Multiple 6 Months
E-2C 12 None Multiple 6 Months
F-1 None Multiple 60 Months
F-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-1 None Multiple 24 Months
G-2 None Multiple 24 Months
G-3 None Multiple 24 Months
G-4 None Multiple 24 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 24 Months
H-1B $15.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
H-1C $15.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
H-2A $15.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
H-2B $15.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
H-2R $15.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
H-3 $15.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
H-4 $15.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
I None One 6 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 60 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 60 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 $15.00 Multiple 36 Months
L-2 $15.00 Multiple 36 Months
M-1 None Multiple 60 Months
M-2 None Multiple 60 Months
N-8 None Multiple 60 Months
N-9 None Multiple 60 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 $15.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
O-2 $15.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
O-3 $15.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
P-1 $15.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
P-2 $15.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
P-3 $15.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
P-4 $15.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
Q-1 6 $15.00 Multiple 15 Months 3
R-1 $15.00 Multiple 24 Months
R-2 $15.00 Multiple 24 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8
Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes
  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents

Please check back for update

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates

Birth Certificates

Available. Birth certificates are available after 1979 to all persons and prior to that date to persons born in the American Mission Hospital at Matrah.

Death Certificate

Unavailable. Death may be attested to before a qadi (judge).

Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Marriage Certificate

Available. Marriage certificates are only available to those married in the Catholic Church, the Protestant Church or by the British Consul.

Divorce Certificate

Unavailable. Divorce certificates are not available. Attestations, however, may be obtained from the Shariah court affirming that a divorce occurred.

Adoption Certificates

Please check back for update

Identity Card

Please check back for update

Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Record

Available. Current residents of Oman needing a Good Conduct Certificate (GCC) should contact the Directorate General of Criminal Investigation (Royal Oman Police) in their area of residence with the following documents:

  1. original, completed application form; this form is only available from the Directorate General of Criminal Investigation
  2. no-objection letter from the employer/local sponsor in Oman
  3. four passport-sized photographs taken on a blue background
  4. copy of the applicant's passport with the Omani visa
  5. copy of applicant's resident card
  6. processing fee, in cash, of Rial Omani 3.00

Former residents of Oman may apply for a GCC by providing the following documents:

  1. cover letter from the applicant requesting why he/she needs a GCC certificate, name of the employer/local sponsor who employed the applicant, and period of employment in Oman
  2. original, completed application form; the consular section at U.S. Embassy Muscat will mail this form to the applicant, if requested via email (
  3. letter from the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, where the immigrant visa case is being processed, stating the reason the certificate is required
  4. no-objection letter from the employer/local sponsor in Oman
  5. set of fingerprints, duly certified by the concerned authority in the country where the applicant resides
  6. four passport-sized photographs taken on a blue background
  7. copy of the applicant's passport with the Omani visa
  8. processing fee, in cash, of Rial Omani 3.00 or USD 10.00

Former residents may submit the above documents in one of four ways:

  1. directly to the Omani Embassy/Consulate where the applicant resides; the Omani Embassy/Consulate will send the documents to the Omani Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which, in turn, will forward them to the Directorate General of Criminal Investigation
  2. if there is no Omani Embassy/Consulate in the country where the applicant resides, the applicant may send the documents to the Omani Ministry of Foreign Affairs at: Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Attn: Protocol Department, P.O. Box 252, Muscat 113, Sultanate of Oman
  3. the Directorate General of Criminal Investigation will also accept documents sent from the applicant via a courier service at: Directorate General of Criminal Investigation, Royal Oman Police, Qurum, Muscat, Oman, tel: 00968-2456-9496; the applicant should coordinate delivery and collection with the courier company;
  4. for faster processing, former residents may wish to seek the assistance of a relative, friend, or previous employer in Oman to contact in-person and obtain the Omani GCC directly from the Directorate General of Criminal Investigation

Note: In all cases, the Directorate General of Criminal Investigation takes two to three days to process the GCC.

Military Records

Please check back for update

Passports & Other Travel Documents

Please check back for update

Other Records

Not applicable

Visa Issuing Posts

Muscat, Oman (Embassy)

Visa Services

All visa categories for all of Oman.

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information

Washington, DC (202) 387-1980 ext. 1 for consular services (202) 745-4933

Assistance for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Embassy Muscat
Jamiat A'Duwal Al Arabiya Street,
Al Khuwair Area (Shatti Al-Qurum), Muscat
+(968) 2464-3400
+(968) 2464-3400
+(968) 2464-3535

Search for Travel Advisories
Additional Information for Reciprocity

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.