Travel Advisories


Travel Advisories

Morocco Travel Advisory

Travel Advisory
January 10, 2018
Morocco - Level 1: Exercise Normal Precautions

Exercise normal precautions in Morocco. 

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page

If you decide to travel to Morocco:

Travel Advisory Levels
1 Exercise normal precautions, 2 Exercise increased caution, 3 Reconsider travel, 4 Do not travel

Kingdom of Morocco
Quick Facts

Must be valid at time of entry


One page required for entry stamp


Not required for stays under 90 days




No information


Export of Moroccan dirhams is not allowed

Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Consulate General Casablanca

8 Boulevard Moulay Youssef,
Casablanca, Morocco

Telephone: +(212) (522) 642-099

Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(212)(661) 13-19-39

Fax: +(212) (522) 29-77-01

U.S. Embassy Rabat

KM 5.7, Avenue Mohammed VI
Souissi, Rabat
10170, Morocco

Telephone: +(212)(537) 63-72-00

Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(212)(661)13-19-39

Fax: +(212)(537) 63-72-01

Destination Description

Read the Department of State’s Fact Sheet on Morocco for information on U.S. – Morocco relations.

Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

Passports and Visas:

  • You must have a valid passport with at least one blank page.
  • Visas are not required for visits lasting less than 90 days.  Visit the Embassy of the Kingdom of Morocco website for the most current visa information.
  • If you remain in Morocco beyond 90 days without having requested an extension of stay, you will need to appear before a judge prior to departing Morocco.  Please contact the immigration office at your local police station for details.  Clearance may include the payment of a fine.
  • Travelers who plan to reside in Morocco must obtain a residence permit from immigration authorities (Service Etranger) at the central police station of the district of residence.  
  • Carry a copy of your U.S. passport with you at all times to have  proof of identity and U.S. citizenship readily available, if needed.
  • Children who possess U.S. passports and who are born to a Moroccan father may experience difficulty leaving Morocco without the father's permission, even if the parents are divorced and the mother has legal custody.  Under Moroccan law, these children are considered Moroccan citizens.  
  • U.S. citizen women married to Moroccans do not need their spouse's permission to leave Morocco.

HIV/AIDS:  The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Morocco. 

Find information on dual nationalityprevention of international child abduction and customs regulations on our websites.

Safety and Security

The potential for terrorist violence against U.S. interests and citizens exists in Morocco.  Moroccan authorities continue to disrupt groups seeking to attack U.S. or Western-affiliated and Moroccan government targets, arresting numerous individuals associated with international terrorist groups.  With indications that such groups still seek to carry out attacks in Morocco, it is important for U.S. citizens to be keenly aware of their surroundings and adhere to prudent security practices such as avoiding predictable travel patterns and maintaining a low profile. 

Establishments that are identifiable with the United States are potential targets for attacks.  These may include facilities where U.S. citizens and other foreigners congregate, including clubs, restaurants, places of worship, schools, hotels, movie theaters, U.S. brand establishments, and other public areas.  Such targets may also include establishments where activities that may offend religious sensitivities occur, such as casinos or places where alcoholic beverages are sold or consumed.

All U.S. citizens are urged to remain alert to local security developments and be vigilant regarding their personal security and report any suspicious incidents or problems immediately to Moroccan authorities and the U.S. Consulate in Casablanca.

Demonstrations occur frequently in Morocco and are typically focused on political or social issues.  During periods of heightened regional tension, large demonstrations may take place in the major cities.  By law, all demonstrations require a government permit, but spontaneous unauthorized demonstrations, which have greater potential for violence, can occur.  In addition, different unions or groups may organize strikes to protest an emerging issue or government policy.  Travelers should be aware of the current levels of tension in Morocco and stay informed of regional issues that could resonate in Morocco and create an anti-American response.  Avoid demonstrations if at all possible.  If caught in a demonstration, remain calm and move away immediately when provided the opportunity.

The Western Sahara is an area where the legal status of the territory and the issue of its sovereignty remain unresolved.  The area was long the site of armed conflict between Moroccan government forces and the POLISARIO Front, which continues to seek independence for the territory.  However, a cease-fire has been fully in effect since 1991 in the UN-administered area.  There are thousands of unexploded mines in the Western Sahara and in areas of Mauritania adjacent to the Western Saharan border.  Exploding mines are occasionally reported, and they have caused death and injury.  There have been sporadic reports of violence in the cities of Laayoune and Dakhla stemming from sporting events and from political demonstrations.  Morocco claims sovereignty over the Western Sahara and closely monitors and controls access to the territory.  There have been instances in which U.S. citizens suspected of being participants in political protests or of supporting NGOs that are critical of Moroccan policies have been expelled from, or not been allowed to enter, the Western Sahara. 

To stay connected:

Crime:  Crime in Morocco is a serious concern, particularly in major cities and tourist areas.

  • Aggressive panhandling, pick-pocketing, purse-snatching, theft from unoccupied vehicles, and harassment of women are the most frequently reported issues.  
  • Criminals have used weapons, primarily knives, during some street robberies and burglaries.  These have occurred at any time of day or night, not only in isolated places or areas less frequented by visitors, but in crowded areas as well.  
  • At night and when moving about unfamiliar areas, avoid traveling alone and utilize petit (red) taxis or Uber (in Casablanca only) from point to point.
  • Residential break-ins also occur and have on occasion turned violent, but most criminals look for opportunities based on stealth rather than confrontation.

Travelers should avoid soccer stadiums and their environs on days of scheduled matches as large groups of team supporters have been known to become unruly and harass and assault bystanders. 

Joggers should be mindful of traffic and remain in more heavily populated areas. It is always best to have a jogging companion, dress modestly, and avoid isolated areas or jogging at night. 

Taxis in Morocco are generally crime-free, although city buses are not considered safe.  Trains are generally safe, but theft, regardless of the time of day, sometimes occurs.  Avoid carrying large sums of cash and be particularly alert when using ATM machines. In the event you are victimized by crime or an attempted crime, please report the incident to the local police and the U.S. Consulate General in Casablanca as soon as possible.

Fraud:  Fraud in Morocco may involve a wide range of situations from financial fraud to relationship fraud for the purpose of obtaining a visa.  If you believe you are the victim of a fraudulent scheme, you may wish to consult with an attorney to best determine what your options are under Moroccan law.

Internet Romance and Marriage Fraud:  Many U.S. citizens befriend Moroccans through Internet dating and social networking sites and these relationships often lead to marriage or engagement.  The U.S. Consulate General in Casablanca warns against potential marriage fraud.  It is not uncommon for foreign nationals to enter into marriages with U.S. citizens solely for immigration purposes.  Often, the marriages end in divorce in the United States when the foreign nationals acquire legal permanent residence (a “green card”) or U.S. citizenship.  In some cases, the new U.S. citizens or permanent residents then remarry the Moroccan spouses whom they previously divorced, frequently around the same time as they enter into relationships with sponsoring U.S. citizens.

Please see our information on Scams.

Entering into a marriage contract for the principal purpose of facilitating immigration to the United States for an alien is against U.S. law and can result in serious penalties, including fines and imprisonment for the U.S. citizen and the foreign national involved. 

If you are concerned about a family member or friend who is visiting someone he or she met online, you can contact American Citizens Services at the U.S. Consulate General at 212-522-64-20-46.  Please see the Department of State and the FBI pages for information on relationship scams.

Victims of Crime:  Report crimes to the local police and contact the U.S. Consulate in Casablanca at 212-522-64-20-46. 

Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting crimes.

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • help you find appropriate medical care.
  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police.
  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent.
  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms.
  • provide a list of local attorneys.
  • provide our information on victim’s compensation programs in the U.S.
  • provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical
  • support in cases of destitution.
  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home.
  • replace a stolen or lost passport.

Domestic Violence:  U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the U.S. Consulate General in Casablanca for assistance.

  • The local equivalent to the “911” emergency line in Morocco is “190” when calling from a mobile phone. 
  • Dial “91” from a landline.
  • Please note that emergency operators rarely speak English.  Most police and other officials speak Arabic; some may speak French.

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties:  You are subject to local laws.  If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned.  In some places you may be taken in for questioning if you don’t have your passport with you.

Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the U.S., regardless of local law.  For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Arrest Notification:  If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Consulate immediately. See our webpage for further information.

  • Crimes of fraud, including passing bad checks, non-payment of bills (including hotel bills), or breach of contract are considered serious in Morocco and can often result in imprisonment and/or fines.  
  • Bail generally is not available to non-residents of Morocco who are arrested for crimes involving fraud.  
  • Debtors can be held in prison until their debts are paid or until an agreement is reached between the parties. 
  • Passports may be seized by the Moroccan government to guarantee that debtors settle their cases. 
  • Debtors may be unable to work in Morocco without passports while still being held responsible for their debts. 
  • Prior to entering into a contract, you may want to consider consulting an attorney.

Faith-Based Travelers:  Islam is the official religion in Morocco.  However, the constitution provides for the freedom to practice one's religion.  The Moroccan government does not interfere with public worship by the country’s Jewish minority or by expatriate Christians.  Proselytizing is, however, prohibited.  In the past, U.S. citizens have been arrested, detained, and/or expelled for discussing or trying to engage Moroccans in debate about Christianity. In February 2014, several U.S. citizens were expelled from Morocco for alleged proselytizing.  Many of those expelled were long-time Moroccan residents.  In these cases, U.S. citizens were given no more than 48 hours to gather their belongings or settle their affairs before being expelled.  See the Department of State’s International Religious Freedom Report.

LGBTI Travelers:  Consensual same-sex sexual relations are criminalized in Morocco.  Penalties include fines and jail time.  See our LGBTI Travel Information page and section 6 of our Human Rights report for further details.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance:  While in Morocco, individuals with disabilities may find accessibility and accommodation very different from what is customary in the United States. 

Students:  See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Women Travelers:  Women walking alone in certain areas of cities and rural areas are particularly vulnerable to assault by men.  They should exercise caution when in public spaces, including nightclubs or other social establishments.  Women are advised to travel with a companion or in a group when possible and to ignore any harassment.  See our tips for Women Travelers.

Customs:  Travellers must declare large quantities of U.S. dollars brought into the country at the port of entry.  The export of Moroccan currency (dirhams) is prohibited; however, Moroccan currency can be converted back into U.S. dollars prior to departure only if the traveler has a bank or money transfer receipt indicating he or she exchanged dollars for dirhams while in Morocco.

Moroccan customs authorities may enforce strict regulations concerning temporary importation into or export from Morocco of items such as firearms, religious materials, antiquities, business equipment, and large quantities of currency.  It is advisable to contact the Embassy of Morocco in Washington, D.C., or the Moroccan Consulate General in New York for specific information concerning customs requirements.

Please see our information on Customs and Import Restrictions.

Citizenship:  The Government of Morocco considers all persons born to Moroccan fathers to be Moroccan citizens.  In addition to being subject to all U.S. laws, U.S. citizens who also possess the nationality of Morocco may be subject to other laws that impose special obligations on citizens of Morocco.  Recently, Morocco has begun allowing Moroccan mothers of children born outside Morocco to petition for their children’s citizenship.  For further information on that process, please contact the Embassy of Morocco in Washington, D.C., or the Moroccan Consulate General in New York.

Residency Permits:  In order to obtain a residence permit, travelers must present (among other requirements) a criminal record check.  This record check can only be obtained in the United States. The U.S. Consulate and Embassy are unable to take fingerprints to send for FBI record requests.  For specific information, individuals seeking residency should visit their local police station. 

The following documents must accompany a residency renewal application:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Copy of the current passport
  • Copy of the current Moroccan residency card
  • Medical certificate from a doctor stating that the requester is free from any contagious disease
  • Court record (Casier Judiciaire) obtained from the Ministry of Justice in Rabat
  • 100 MAD stamp

Individuals planning on residing in Morocco or relocating to the U.S. may be asked to provide a notarized change of residence form.  This form is available at the U.S. Consulate by appointment.

Sending Passports through the Mail:  According to Moroccan law, it is prohibited to send passports by mail across international borders.  Passports sent to or through Morocco via Fedex, DHL, or other courier will be confiscated by Moroccan authorities. Confiscated U.S. passports are sent to the U.S. Consulate General in Casablanca after being processed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.  If your passport has been confiscated, you can contact the American Citizens Services section at to ask if it has been received.

Property:  U.S. consular officers are prohibited by law and regulation from accepting personal property for safekeeping regardless of the circumstances involved. 

If there is concern over the protection of property left behind in Morocco due to confiscation or deportation for political, legal, or other reasons, U.S. citizens should take every precaution to ensure that available legal safeguards are in place either before, or immediately after, purchasing property in Morocco or taking up residence there.  U.S. citizens are also encouraged to consider assigning a Power of Attorney, or Procuration, to be used in Morocco if necessary.  More information and sample Power of Attorney forms are available on the Consulate General of the Kingdom of Morocco in New York website. 

Photographing Sensitive Locations:  Taking photographs of anything that could be perceived as being of military or security interest may result in problems with the authorities.  As a general rule, travelers should not photograph palaces, diplomatic missions, government buildings, or other sensitive facilities and when in doubt should ask permission from the appropriate Moroccan authorities.

Professional Basketball in Morocco:  The U.S. Consulate General in Casablanca is aware that there are local professional basketball teams who have made contracts with U.S. citizens to play on Moroccan teams.  Some of these players have subsequently claimed they were not paid as stipulated per the terms of the contract.   Individuals considering playing basketball professionally in Morocco may wish to consult with a lawyer regarding the terms of their contract prior to signing.  A list of lawyers can be found on the Consulate’s webpage.


Adequate medical care is available in Morocco’s largest cities, particularly in Rabat and Casablanca, although not all facilities meet Western standards.

  • Emergency and specialized care outside the major cities is far below U.S. standards and may not be available at all.  
  • Most medical staff will have limited or no English-speaking ability.  
  • Most ordinary prescription and over-the-counter medicines are widely available.  
  • Specialized prescriptions may be difficult to fill and availability of all medicines in rural areas is unreliable. 
  • Travelers should not ask friends or relatives to send medications through the mail, FedEx, or UPS since Moroccan customs will impound the delivery and not release it to the recipient.  
  • Travelers planning to drive in the mountains and other remote areas may wish to carry a medical kit and a Moroccan phone card for emergencies.

In the event of vehicle accidents involving injuries, immediate ambulance service is usually not available.  The police emergency services telephone number is “190” (see Traffic Safety and Road Conditions section below).

The U.S. Mission in Morocco is unable to pay your medical bills.  Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas. 

Medical Insurance:  Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas.  Most care providers overseas only accept cash payments.  You may also be required to pay a deposit before being admitted for treatment.See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage.

We strongly recommend supplemental insurance to cover medical evacuation.If traveling with prescription medication, check with the Government of Morocco Ministry of Foreign Affairs to ensure the medication is legal in Morocco.  Always carry your prescription medication in original packaging, along with your doctor’s prescription. 

Vaccinations:  Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Further health information:

Travel and Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety:  Traffic accidents are a significant hazard in Morocco.  Driving practices are very poor and have resulted in serious injuries to and fatalities of U.S. citizens.  This is particularly true at dusk during the Islamic holy month of Ramadan, when adherence to traffic regulations is lax, and from July to September when Moroccans resident abroad return from Europe by car in large numbers. 

  • Drivers should exercise extreme caution when driving at night due to poor lighting systems along roads.  
  • Traffic signals do not always function, and are sometimes difficult to see.  
  • Modern freeways link the cities of Tangier, Rabat, Fez, Casablanca, and Marrakesh.  Two-lane highways link other major cities.
  • Secondary routes in rural areas are often narrow and poorly paved.  Roads through the Rif and Atlas mountains are steep, narrow, windy, and dangerous.
  • Pedestrians, scooters, and animal-drawn conveyances are common on all roadways, including the freeways, and driving at night should be avoided if possible.  
  • During the rainy season (November - March), flash flooding is frequent and sometimes severe, washing away roads and vehicles in rural areas.  

Traffic Laws:  In the event of a traffic accident, including accidents involving injuries, the parties are required to remain at the scene and not move their vehicles until the police have arrived and documented all necessary information.  The police emergency services telephone number is “190”.  Often Moroccan police officers pull over drivers for inspection within the city and on highways. 

Traffic Fines:  Confiscation of a driver’s license is possible if a violator is unable or unwilling to settle a fine at the time of a traffic stop. 

If you are stopped for a speeding violation, you have the right to request the video footage documenting the infraction.  Once the speeding violation is confirmed, you have three options: 

  • Pay the fine on the spot and obtain a receipt of payment;
  • Pay at the local city’s treasury (La Perception).  The police/gendarme officer will issue you a ‘ticket’ indicating the amount of the fine and keep your driver’s license until you pay the fine.
  • Should you wish to contest a violation, you may file a complaint at court; however, Moroccan authorities may keep your driver’s license and vehicle registration while this lengthy process takes place.

Foreign driver’s licenses are valid for use in Morocco for up to one year.  After that, foreign residents must pass the Moroccan driver’s test and obtain a Moroccan driver’s license.

Public Transportation:  While public buses and taxis are inexpensive, driving habits are poor, and buses are frequently overcrowded.  The train system has a good safety record.  Trains, while sometimes crowded, are comfortable and generally on time.

See our Road Safety page for more information.  Visit Morocco’s National Tourism website for additional information.

Aviation Safety Oversight:  The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has assessed the Government of Morocco’s Civil Aviation Authority as being in compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards for oversight of Morocco’s air carrier operations.  Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page.

Aviation Security Enhancements: The Transportation Security Administration (TSA), in consultation with relevant Departments and Agencies, has determined it is prudent to enhance security, to include airport security procedures for passengers departing from 10 airports, including Mohammed V Airport, to the United States. These enhancements will require that all personal electronic devices (PED) larger than a cell phone or smart phone be placed in checked baggage. For more information, please contact your air carrier or visit the Department of Homeland Security website.  

Hague Convention Participation
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention?
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention?
What You Can Do
Learn how to respond to abductions FROM the US
Learn how to respond to abductions TO the US
Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Consulate General Casablanca

8 Boulevard Moulay Youssef,
Casablanca, Morocco

Telephone: +(212) (522) 642-099

Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(212)(661) 13-19-39

Fax: +(212) (522) 29-77-01

U.S. Embassy Rabat

KM 5.7, Avenue Mohammed VI
Souissi, Rabat
10170, Morocco

Telephone: +(212)(537) 63-72-00

Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(212)(661)13-19-39

Fax: +(212)(537) 63-72-01

General Information

Morocco and the United States have been treaty partners under the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention) since December 1, 2012.

For information concerning travel to Morocco, including information about the location of the U.S. Embassy, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for Morocco.

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on International Parental Child Abduction (IPCA).  The report is located here.

Hague Abduction Convention

The U.S. Department of State serves as the U.S. Central Authority (USCA) for the Hague Abduction Convention.  In this capacity, the Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizens Services, Office of Children’s Issues, facilitates the submission of applications under the Hague Abduction Convention for the return of, or access to, children located in countries that are U.S. treaty partners, including Morocco.  Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance prior to initiating the Hague process directly with the foreign Central Authority.

Contact information:

United States Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs
Office of Children’s Issues
SA-17, 9th Floor  
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Telephone:  1-888-407-4747
Outside the United States or Canada: 1-202-501-4444
Fax:  202-485-6221

The Moroccan Central Authority for the Hague Abduction Convention is the Ministry of Justice and Liberty.  The Ministry of Justice and Liberty has an administrative role in processing Hague Abduction Convention applications.  Upon submission of a Hague application, the Moroccan Central Authority will work with the Prosecutor’s Office to locate the child, attempt resolution through voluntary means if appropriate, and forward the case to the court of first instance.  The Moroccan Central Authority can be reached at:

Ministère de la justice et des libertés 
Direction des Affaires Civiles 
Service de l'entraide judiciaire en matière civile
Place de la Mamounia
10 000 Rabat
Tel: +212 (0)5 37 21 36 75; +212 (0)5 77 72 11 51
Fax : +212 (0)5 37 73 05 51  


To initiate a Hague case for return of, or access to, a child in Morocco, the USCA encourages parents or legal guardians to review the eligibility criteria and instructions located on the State Department website.  It is extremely important that each document written in English be translated into Arabic or French.  The Moroccan Central Authority (MCA) will not take action on a case until they receive application documents in Arabic or French. The USCA is available to answer questions about the Hague application process, to forward a completed application to the Ministry of Justice and Liberty, and to subsequently monitor its progress through the foreign administrative and legal processes. 

There are no fees for filing Hague applications with either the U.S. or Moroccan central authorities.  Additional costs may include airplane tickets for court appearances and for the return of the child, if so ordered.



A parent or legal guardian may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for return to the United States of a child abducted to, or wrongfully retained in, Morocco. The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand whether the Convention is an available civil remedy and can provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.

Contact information:

Bureau of Consular Affairs
Office of Children's
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Telephone:  1-888-407-4747
Outside the United States or Canada: 1-202-501-4444
Fax: 202-485-6221



A person may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for access to a child living in Morocco.  The criteria for acceptance of a Hague access application vary from country to country.  The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand country-specific criteria and provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.

Retaining an Attorney


Retaining a private attorney is not required in order to submit a Hague Abduction Convention application to a court in Morocco. A public prosecutor presents Hague return cases to the court. Parents or legal guardians may hire a private attorney at their own expense to follow up on the case and to provide direct information to the court, and to generally advise as to the best course of action for their individual circumstances. A privately hired attorney should contact the MCA as soon as possible after the Hague Abduction Convention application has been filed with the MCA.

The U.S. Mission in Morocco posts a list of attorneys including those who specialize in family law. 

This list is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the persons or firms included in this list. Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the lawyers.




The MCA encourages mediation in abduction cases; however, there are no governmental offices in place that offer these services in custody disputes.

Exercising Custody Rights

While travelling in a foreign country, you are subject to the laws of that country. It is important for parents to understand that, although a left-behind parent in the United States may have custody or visitation rights pursuant to a U.S. custody order, that order may not be valid and enforceable in the country in which the child is located.  For this reason, we strongly encourage you to speak to a local attorney if planning to remove a child from a foreign country without the consent of the other parent.  Attempts to remove your child to the United States may:

  • Endanger your child and others;
  • Prejudice any future judicial efforts; and
  • Could result in your arrest and imprisonment.

The U.S. government cannot interfere with another country’s court or law enforcement system.

To understand the legal effect of a U.S. order in a foreign country, a parent should consult with a local attorney in the country in which the child is located.  

For information about hiring an attorney abroad, see our section on Retaining a Foreign Attorney. 

Although we cannot recommend an attorney to you, most U.S. Embassies have lists of attorneys available online. Please visit the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate website for a full listing.

For more information on consular assistance for U.S. citizens arrested abroad, please see our website.

Country officers are available to speak with you Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  For assistance with an abduction in progress or any emergency situation that occurs after normal business hours, on weekends, or federal holidays, please call toll free at 1-888-407-4747. See all contact information.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this flyer is provided for general information only, is not intended to be legal advice, and may change without notice. Questions involving interpretation of law should be addressed to an attorney licensed in the relevant jurisdiction. 


Hague Convention Participation
Hague Adoption Convention Country?
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

Morocco is not party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention). Intercountry adoptions of children from non-Hague countries are processed in accordance with 8 Code of Federal Regulations, Section  204.3 as it relates to orphans as defined under the Immigration and Nationality Act, Section 101(b)(1)(F).

IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR ADOPTIVE PARENTS: Although this website uses the term "adoption" throughout, prospective adoptive parents considering adopting a Moroccan child should be aware that Moroccan law and process provide for a custody/guardianship certificate issued for the purpose of the child’s immigration and adoption. In Morocco, this guardianship is referred to as "Kafala" and is awarded by a Moroccan court. Under these circumstances, an eligible child will be issued a category IR-4 immigrant visa, and will need to fulfill certain requirements, including the child’s adoption after arrival in the United States, before the child may acquire U.S. citizenship under the Child Citizenship Act of 2000


To bring a guardian child to the United States for adoption from Morocco, you must meet eligibility and suitability requirements. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) determines who can adopt under U.S. immigration law.

Additionally, a child must meet the definition of orphan under U.S. immigration law in order to be eligible to immigrate to the United States on an IR-4 immigrant visa.

Who Can Adopt

In addition to U.S. immigration requirements, you must also meet the following requirements in order to acquire Kafala guardianship of a child from Morocco for the purpose of emigration and obtaining a full and final adoption in the U.S.:

  • Residency: Although residency is not a legal requirement under the Kafala law (an argument some courts used in approving Kafalas), a 2012 Ministry of Justice circular ordered prosecutors to request evidence of residency when processing guardianship requests.  Evidence of residency may be required at any stage of the Kafala proceedings, and may differ from city to city and court to court.  For example, a prosecutor may require it before sending the case to court, or a court may seek proof before considering the case. It is recommended that prospective adoptive parents consult with an attorney in Morocco about residency requirements. 
  • Age of Adopting Parents: Prospective adoptive parents must be at least 25 years of age.
  • Marriage: Prospective adoptive parents must either be a single female or a married couple.  Morocco does not recognize same sex marriages or domestic partnerships.
  • Income: The Government of Morocco requires that people seeking legal guardianship of Moroccan children be employed.
  • Religion: Prospective adoptive parents of Moroccan children must be Muslim.
  • Other: Prospective adoptive parents must have a letter from a doctor practicing in Morocco indicating that they are in good mental and physical heath and capable of caring for an adopted child.
Who Can Be Adopted

In addition to U.S. immigration requirements, Morocco has specific requirements that a child must meet in order to be eligible for Kafala guardianship:

  • Relinquishment: Yes, but only by unwed mothers.
  • Abandonment: Yes.
  • Age of Adoptive Child: 0 to 16 years.
  • Sibling Adoptions: Allowed, but not required.
  •  Special Needs or Medical Conditions: Qualifying prospective adoptive parents may obtain guardianship of children with special needs.
  • Waiting Period or Foster Care: Not imposed by law, but in practical terms, a child is not available for Kafala guardianship until a court of competent jurisdiction declares the child abandoned, which may take up to several months.

Caution: Prospective adoptive parents should be aware that not all children in orphanages or children’s homes are adoptable.  In many countries, birth parents place their child(ren) temporarily in an orphanage or children’s home due to financial or other hardship, intending that the child return home when this becomes possible.  In such cases, the birth parent(s) have rarely relinquished their parental rights or consented to their child(ren)’s adoption.

How to Adopt

Morocco’s Adoption Authority  
Ministry of Justice (Le Ministère de la Justice et des Libertés, Place el Mamounia, Rabat, Morocco)


The process for adopting a child from Morocco generally includes the following steps:

  1. Choose an adoption service provider
  2. Apply to be found eligible to obtain legal guardianship
  3. Be matched with a child
  4. Obtain legal and physical custody of the child in Morocco
  5. Apply for the child to be found eligible for orphan status
  6. Bring your child home
  1. Choose an Adoption Service Provider

    The recommended first step in adopting a child from Morocco is to decide whether or not to use a licensed adoption service provider in the United States that can help you with your adoption. Adoption service providers must be licensed by the U.S. state in which they operate. The Department of State provides information on selecting an adoption service provider on its website.

  2. Be Matched with a Child

    In order to adopt a child from Morocco, you will need to meet the requirements of the Government of Morocco and U.S. immigration law. You must submit an application with the Moroccan Ministry of Justice to be found eligible to obtain Kafala guardianship in Morocco. More information can be found at the Ministry’s website at: The website is currently available in Arabic only. 

    To meet U.S. immigration requirements, you may also file an I-600A, Application for Advance Processing of an Orphan Petition with U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to be found eligible and suitable to adopt.

  3. Be Matched with a Child

    If you are eligible to adopt, and a child is available for intercountry adoption, the central adoption authority or other authorized entity in Morocco will provide you with a referral.  Each family must decide for itself whether it will be able to meet the needs of and provide a permanent home for a particular child.

    The child must be eligible for guardianship according to Morocco’s requirements, as described in the Who Can Be Adopted section. The child must also meet the definition of orphan under U.S. immigration law.

  4. Obtain Legal and Physical Custody of the Child in Morocco

    The process for obtaining legal and physical custody of the child in Morocco generally includes the following:

    • Role of Adoption Authority: The Ministry of Justice is the decision making authority in legal custody/guardianship cases. 
    • Role of the Court: Reviews applications and grants or denies Kafala guardianship.  If Kafala guardianship is granted, the court issues all related documents such as enforcement of a Kafala order, an authorization to apply for a child’s passport, and an authorization to take the child outside of Morocco to reside with the child in a foreign country.
    • Role of Adoption Agencies: There are no adoption agencies that currently operate in Morocco. 
    • Time Frame: The process can take from three months to two years.
    • Adoption Fees: There is no adoption fee per se.  Prospective adoptive parents customarily make donations to orphanages to benefit other children who are not adopted. Since these are donations, they may be given at any stage but are typically given at the end of the Kafala process. They range from $500 to a few thousand U.S. dollars. Some orphanages, at no charge, help the PAPs with paperwork and through the Kafala process, and the donation amount may reflect the role the orphanage played in helping the PAPs through the process. PAPs may also need to engage local legal counsel, or spend a significant amount of time in Morocco.  
    • Documents Required: Valid home study and other documents as required by a Kafala court.
    • Note: Additional documents may be requested.

    • Authentication of Documents: You may be asked to provide proof that a document from the United States is authentic.  If so, the Department of State, Authentications Office may be able to assist.
  5. Apply for the Child to be Found Eligible for Orphan Status

    After you gain legal custody in Morocco, the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services must determine whether the child meets the definition of orphan under U.S. immigration law. You will need to file a Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative.

  6. Bring Your Child Home

    Once you have obtained legal custody of the child, you need to apply for several documents for your child before you can apply for a U.S. immigrant visa to bring your child home to the United States:

    Birth Certificate
    If you have obtained a Kafala guardianship certificate in Morocco for the purpose of adopting your child in the United States, you will first need to apply for a new birth certificate for your child. Your name will be added to the new birth certificate.

    How to obtain a new birth certificate for the child in Morocco  
    A court issued abandonment order is required to apply for the child’s local birth certificate at a local administrative office. 

    How to obtain a Passport for your child in Morocco
    Your child is not yet a U.S. citizen, so he/she will need a travel document or passport from Morocco. Once the prospective adoptive parents receive a court-issued abandonment order, and obtain an authorization to apply for the child’s Moroccan passport, they may apply for the child’s passport at a local administrative office.  Obtaining a passport takes anywhere from two days to two weeks. 

    U.S. Immigrant Visa
    After you obtain the new birth certificate and passport for your child and you have filed Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative, you then need to apply for a U.S. immigrant visa for your child from the U.S. Consulate General in Casablanca. This immigrant visa allows your child to travel home with you. As part of this process, the Consular Officer must be provided the Panel Physician’s medical report on the child. 

    You can find instructions for applying for an immigrant visa on the U.S. Consulate Casablanca’s website. If you have questions about the process or documents needed, please contact the Consulate via email at

    Visa issuance after the final interview generally takes 24 hours. It is not possible to provide the visa to adoptive parents on the same day as the immigrant visa interview. Prospective adoptive parents should verify current processing times with the U.S. Consulate in Casablanca before making final travel arrangements. 


    For adoptions finalized abroad prior to the child’s entry into the United States: A child will acquire U.S. citizenship upon entry into the United States if the adoption was finalized prior to entry and the child otherwise meets the requirements of the Child Citizenship Act of 2000

    For adoptions finalized after the child’s entry into the United States: An adoption will need to be completed following your child’s entry into the United States for the child to acquire U.S. citizenship. 

    *Please be aware that since your child does not qualify to become a citizen upon entry to the United States, it is very important that you take the steps necessary so that your child does qualify as soon as possible. Failure to obtain citizenship for your child can impact many areas of his/her life including family travel, eligibility for education and education grants, and voting. 

    Read more about the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.

Traveling Abroad

Applying for Your U.S. Passport
U.S. citizens are required by law to enter and depart the United States on a valid U.S. passport. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. passports.

Getting or renewing a passport is easy. The Passport Application Wizard will help you determine which passport form you need, help you to complete the form online, estimate your payment, and generate the form for you to print—all in one place.

Obtaining a Visa to Travel to Morocco
In addition to a U.S. passport, you may also need to obtain a visa. A visa is an official document issued by a foreign country that formally allows you to visit. Where required, visas are affixed to your passport and allow you to enter a foreign nation. To find information about obtaining a visa for Morocco, see the Department of State’s Country-Specific Information.

Staying Safe on Your Trip
Before you travel, it is always a good practice to investigate the local conditions, laws, political landscape, and culture of the country. The Department of State provides Country-Specific Information for every country of the world about various issues, including the health conditions, crime, unusual currency or entry requirements, and any areas of instability.

Staying in Touch on Your Trip
When traveling during the adoption process, we encourage you to enroll with the Department of State. Enrollment makes it possible to contact you if necessary. Whether there is a family emergency in the United States or a crisis in Morocco, enrollment assists the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in reaching you.

Enrollment is free and can be done online via the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).

After Adoption

Post-Placement Reporting Requirements
Although Morocco does not generally have post-placement reporting requirements, an individual Kafala court may impose certain post placement obligations on the prospective adoptive parents in the Kafala order. If this is the case, we strongly urge you to comply with those obligations in a timely manner. Your cooperation will contribute to that country’s positive experiences with U.S. citizen parents.

Post-Adoption Resources
Many adoptive parents find it important to find support after the adoption. There are many public and private nonprofit post-adoption services available for children and their families. There are also numerous adoptive family support groups and adoptee organizations active in the United States that provide a network of options for adoptees who seek out other adoptees from the same country of origin. Take advantage of all the resources available to your family, whether it is another adoptive family, a support group, an advocacy organization, or your religious or community services.

Here are some places to start your support group search:

Note: Inclusion of non-U.S. government links does not imply endorsement of contents.

Contact Information

U.S. Consulate General
8, Boulevard Moulay Youssef, Casablanca
Tel: +212 (0) 522-264-550
Fax: +212 (0) 522-204-127

Morocco ’s Kafala Guardianship Authority:
Ministry of Justice
Le Ministère de la Justice et des Libertés
Place el Mamounia, Rabat, Morocco
Tel: +212 (0) 537-732-941 to 946
Fax: +212 (0) 537-734-725
Internet: (currently, in Arabic only)

Embassy of Morocco in the United States of America 
1601 21st Street, NW Washington, DC 20009
Tel: 202-462-7979
Fax: 202-265-0161

*Morocco also has a consulate located in New York City at the following address: 
10 East 40th Street,
New York, NY 10016
(212) 758-2625

Office of Children’s Issues
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, D.C.  20522-1709
Tel: 1-888-407-4747

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
For questions about immigration procedures:
USCIS National Customer Service Center (NCSC)
Tel: 1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833)

For questions about filing a Form I-600A or I-600 petition:
USCIS National Benefits Center
Tel: 1-877-424-8374 (toll free); 1-816-251-2770 (local)

Reciprocity Schedule

Select a visa category below to find the visa issuance fee, number of entries, and validity period for visas issued to applicants from this country*/area of authority.

Explanation of Terms

Visa Classification: The type of nonimmigrant visa you are applying for.

Fee: The reciprocity fee, also known as the visa issuance fee, you must pay. This fee is in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee (MRV fee).

Number of Entries: The number of times you may seek entry into the United States with that visa. "M" means multiple times. If there is a number, such as "One", you may apply for entry one time with that visa.

Validity Period: This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used, from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel with that visa. If your Validity Period is 60 months, your visa will be valid for 60 months from the date it is issued.

Visa Classifications
Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 60 Months
A-2 None Multiple 60 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 12 Months
B-1 None Multiple 120 Months
B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
C-1 None Multiple 60 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 60 Months
C-2 None Multiple 12 Months
C-3 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 60 Months
E-1 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2 2 None Multiple 60 Months
E-2C 12 None Multiple 24 Months
F-1 None Multiple 60 Months
F-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-1 None Multiple 60 Months
G-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-3 None Multiple 60 Months
G-4 None Multiple 60 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 12 Months
H-1B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-1C None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2A None N/A N/A 3
H-2B None N/A N/A 3
H-2R None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
I None Multiple 60 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 60 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 60 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Multiple 60 Months
L-2 None Multiple 60 Months
M-1 None Multiple 60 Months
M-2 None Multiple 60 Months
N-8 None Multiple 60 Months
N-9 None Multiple 60 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 15 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 60 Months
R-2 None Multiple 60 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8
Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes
  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents

Mail applications for most documents are generally available, but are best done from within Morocco. A Moroccan attorney can often be helpful.

Consulate Casablanca requires all immigrant and diversity visa applicants 18 years or older to document their current marital state by producing either a marriage certificate or a celibacy certificate. If the applicant has been divorced or widowed, we also require all divorce and death certificates, as appropriate. Applicants for IR5 (parent) visa generally do not have to document their marital status.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates

Birth Certificates


Fees: MAD 2.00

Document Name: Extrait d’acte de naissance

Issuing Government Authority: Bureau d’Etat Civil (Municipal Registry)

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: White or Green

Issuing Authority Personnel Title: N/A

Registration Criteria: N/A

Procedure for Obtaining:  Present a Livret de Famille (Family Book) to the Bureau d’Etat Civil having jurisdiction over the place of birth.

Certified Copies Available: N/A

Alternate Documents: Muslims who are Moroccan residents can substitute an Acte de Notoriete (affidavit by witnesses) by applying to the Cadi (Koranic) court having jurisdiction over their place of birth. Moroccan Jews should apply to the rabbinic court having jurisdiction over their place of birth. The accuracy of these documents is often doubtful.

Exceptions: Non-Moroccans may obtain birth certificates if the birth occurred after 1960 in the former International Zone of Tangier, or if the birth occurred after 1956 in the former French or Spanish Protectorate Zones. Applicants should apply to the Municipal Registry (Bureau d'Etat Civil) having jurisdiction over the place of birth. Non-Moroccans whose birth was not recorded with the Bureau d'Etat Civil, or whose birth occurred prior to the dates indicated above, should contact their Embassy or Consulate for assistance.

Comments: According to Moroccan law, parents must apply for the Moroccan birth certificate within 30 days of the birth.  After 30 days, the parent(s) must engage in a lengthy court process to obtain the birth certificate.

Death Certificates


Fees: MAD 2.00

Document Name: Extrait d’Acte de Deces

Procedure for Obtaining: A declaration of death is mandatory and can be made by family members. The order of precedence is as follows:

1.      Son/daughter;

2.      Spouse;

3.      Father, Mother, Tutor;

4.      Adopted Child;

5.      Brother/Sister;

6.      Grandparents;

7.      Local authority if all of the above are unavailable

Comments: The declaration of death is registered based on the documents submitted to the officer of the commune where the death occured. They must be presented within 30 days for Moroccans residing in Morocco and within one year from the date of death for Moroccans who died overseas.  

Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Marriage Certificates 


Fees: Varies depending on the Adul (marriage official) or rabbinical court, generally MAD 200-600.

Document Name: Aakd Zawaj (Acte de Mariage)

Issuing Government Authority: For Muslims, the Cadi Court (Koranic court) that presided over their marriage. For Moroccan Jews: If married prior to 30 September 1965, apply to the rabbinical court that presided over the marriage. For marriages performed after that date, apply to the Bureau d’Etat Civil having jurisdiction over the place of marriage.

Procedure for Obtaining: Mail application for marriage certificates is possible and should be accompanied by a self-addressed envelope and a postal money order sufficient to cover the cost of the certificate and the return postage.

Alternate Documents: Deed of Confirmation of Marriage; Deed of Verification of a Judgement of Confirmation of Marriage. 

Non-Moroccans who were married in the former French Protectorate Zone during the period from 1912 to 1956 may obtain a marriage certificate from the Bureau d'Etat Civil having jurisdiction over the place where the marriage was celebrated.

Non-Moroccans who were married in the former Spanish Protectorate Zone during the period from 1912 to 1956 may obtain a marriage certificate by applying to the church where the marriage was celebrated.

Non-Moroccans married in the former Tangier International Zone during the period from 1912 to 1960 should write to their Consulate or Embassy for assistance. (There were no civil licensing procedures in the Spanish Zone prior to 1960.)

Certificates of marriage for marriages celebrated after 1956 in the former French or Spanish Protectorate Zones, or celebrated after 1960 in the former Tangier International Zone, may be obtained from the Bureau d'Etat Civil having jurisdiction over the place where the marriage was celebrated and recorded.

Comments: Same-sex marriage is not recognized in Morocco.

Divorce Certificates


Fees: Varies depending on the Adul (marriage official), generally MAD 200-600.

Document Name: Acte de Divorce

Issuing Government Authority:

For Muslims, the Cadi Court (Family court) that rendered the decree.

For Moroccan Jews divorced prior to 30 September 1965, apply to the rabbinical court that issued the divorce. For Moroccan Jews divorced after that date, apply to the Tribunal de Premiere Instance that rendered the divorce decree.

For non-Moroccans divorced in Morocco, including in the former French and Spanish Protectorate zones and in the former Tangier International Zone, apply to the Tribunal de Premiere Instance that rendered the decree.

Adoption Certificates


Adoption is not legal in Morocco; however, civil authorities may place a child in the custody of a guardian. Guardianship, known as kefala, is normally granted only to Muslims; non-Muslims must convert to Islam in order to be granted kefala guardianship. A kefala certificate does not establish a parent-child relationship for immigration purposes, but is necessary in order to apply for an IR4 (orphan to be adopted in the U.S.) visa.

Document Name: Kefala

Issuing Government Authority: Family court

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: N/A

Comments: Non-Moroccans, even if Muslim, may experience delays and other difficulties in obtaining a Kefala from the Moroccan courts.

Identity Card

Please check back for update

Police, Court, Prison Records

Police/ Prison Records


Fees: MAD 20 to MAD 30

Document Name: Extrait de la Fiche Anthropometrique

Issuing Government Authority: Central Police Station of the Locality

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: N/A

Issuing Authority Personnel Title: Ministry of the Interior

Registration Criteria: Possession of new format Carte Nationale (ID card)

Procedure for Obtaining: Moroccan citizens, over 18 years of age, must obtain a Fiche Anthropometrique and a Casier Judiciaire from the Central Police station at their place of residence. The identity card, which is necessary to obtain the Fiche Anthropometrique, is not available to Moroccans under 18, therefore, Moroccans aged 16 to 18 should present an extract from the judicial records (Extrait du Casier Judiciaire). Police records are not delivered to third parties.

A Fiche Anthropometrique can be obtained by resident citizens of Morocco upon presentation of the new format National Identification Card (Carte d’Identite Nationale), a stamped self-addressed envelope, and a fee to the Service de l'Anthropometrie of the Central Police Station of the place of residence. Non-resident Moroccan citizens may request a Fiche Anthropometrique by writing directly to the Direction General de la Surete Nationale, Fichier Central de L'Anthropometrie, Rabat. The number and date of issue of the new format Carte Nationale must be included in the request. The fiche Anthropometrique is delivered only to bearers of the new format Carte Nationale.

Comments: Only Moroccan citizens can get a police certificate.

Court Records


Fees: MAD 20 to 30

Document Name: Extrait du Casier Judiciare

Issuing Government Authority: For Moroccans and foreigners born in Morocco: Tribunal de Premiere Instance at the place of residence.

For non-Moroccans resident in Morocco: Casier Judiciare Central, Ministere de la Justice, Rabat

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: N/A

Issuing Authority Personnel Title: N/A

Procedure for Obtaining: Applicants must present some form of official document, such as a birth certificate, carte d'immatriculation, or a passport at the time of application. Foreigners not born in Morocco must make an application to the Casier Judiciaire Central.  Requests by mail must be accompanied by an authenticated identity paper bearing pertinent identity information, a photograph of the applicant and a self-addressed envelope. Court (penal) records are not delivered to third parties.

Certified Copies Available: N/A

Alternate Documents: N/A

Comments: Not available to foreigners not currently resident in Morocco. Moroccans between the age of 16 and 18 need only produce this certificate, as they are not eligible to get a Police Certificate.

Military Records

Available (with difficulty)

Issuing Government Authority:  Etat-Major General des Forces Armes Royales, Bureau de Recrutement, Rabat.

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: N/A

Issuing Authority Personnel Title: N/A

Procedure for Obtaining: If service was in the French or Spanish armed forces during the period of the Protectorate, then the requirements for these countries are applicable. If service was in the armed forces post-independence Morocco, military records are available, (with difficulty), from the Etat-Major General des Forces Armes Royales. The applicant must go in person to the Rabat office.

Certified Copies Available: N/A

Alternate Documents: N/A

Passports & Other Travel Documents

Please check back for update

Other Records

Celibacy Certificates


Fees: MAD 2.00

Document Name: Certificat de Celibat

Issuing Government Authority:  The Bureau d’Etat Civil (Municipal Registry)

Procedure for Obtaining:  Apply to the Municipal Registry at the applicant’s area of residence.

Certified Copies Available: N/A

Alternate Documents: Certificate de non Remariage: Issued for persons who are divorced or widowed and are not currently married; the translation will sometimes say this is a Certificate of Singlehood.

Exceptions: None

Comments: The Consulate requires all applicants for an immigrant visa, except IR5 applicants, who are 18 years or older to document their marital status.  If the applicant was never married, or was married before but is currently divorced or widowed, then a celibacy certificate is required. 

Visa Issuing Posts

Embassy: Casablanca, Morocco (Consulate)

Address: 8 Boulevard Moulay Youssef, Casablanca

Phone Number: (212) (22) 26-45-50

Fax: (Consular Section) (212) (22) 20-41-27 

Visa Services

All visa categories for all of Morocco (including Western Sahara).

Comments / Additional Information: Consulate Casablanca is a designated processing post for all classes of immigrant and non-immigrant visas for Libyan nationals. The Consulate is also authorized to consider local petitions filed on behalf of Libyan nationals.

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information

Washington, DC (202) 499-1052 (202) 457-0053

New York, NY (212) 758-2625 (646) 395-8077

Assistance for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Consulate General Casablanca
8 Boulevard Moulay Youssef,
Casablanca, Morocco
+(212) (522) 642-099
+(212)(661) 13-19-39
+(212) (522) 29-77-01
Morocco Map

Search for Travel Advisories
Additional Information for Reciprocity

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.