Travel Advisories


Travel Advisories

Chile Travel Advisory

Travel Advisory
January 10, 2018
Chile – Level 1: Exercise normal precautions

Exercise normal precautions in Chile.

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.

If you decide to travel to Chile:

Travel Advisory Levels
1 Exercise normal precautions, 2 Exercise increased caution, 3 Reconsider travel, 4 Do not travel

Republic of Chile
Quick Facts

For the duration of stay


One page required for entry stamp


Not required for stays of 90 days or less (tourist passports only)







Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Santiago

Avenida Andres Bello 2800, Las Condes
Santiago, Chile
Telephone: +(56)(2) 2330-3000
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(56)(2) 2330-3000
Emergency Working-Hours Telephone: +(56)(2) 2330-3716
Fax: +(56)(2) 2330-3710

Destination Description

See the Department of State’s Fact Sheet on Chile for information on U.S.-Chile relations.

Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

Your passport must be in good condition and valid for the period of your stay. You do not need a visa for a tourist or business stay of 90 days or less (tourist passports only). Upon arrival, you will receive a Tourist Card for up to 90 days, which you can extend for another 90-day period by paying $100 USD at the Chilean Immigration Officeand which you must return upon departure. Failure to return this card may delay your departure from Chile. If lost or stolen, you must replace the card at an International Police Office or at the airport before leaving. You will face a fine if you remain longer than allowed, and you will not be able to leave Chile until the fine is paid. If applicable, pay the fine before your departure by going to the Chilean Immigration Office or you may face significant delays. 

Travel on Diplomatic or Official Passports: U.S. citizens traveling to or through Chile on diplomatic or official passports are required to obtain a visa before travel.

Entry / Exit Requirements for Dual Nationals: Dual nationals must enter and exit Chile using their Chilean passports, and they must enter and exit the United States using their U.S. passports.

Entry / Exit Requirements for Minors (under 18): Parents traveling with a minor must show evidence of their relationship to the child when entering or departing the country. Carry an original apostilled birth certificate.

Minors in Chile must submit a notarized authorization from any non-traveling parent(s), a notarized photocopy of the authorization, and an apostilled birth certificate at the time of departure.  The notarization can be done by a local notary public or at the Chilean Embassy or a Chilean Consulate.  If a U.S. notary executes the authorization, it will have to be apostilled to be valid in Chile.  This is a lengthy process and should be commenced well in advance of travel.

The Chilean Ministry of Foreign Affairs provides more information on entry and exit requirements for children. 

Visit the Embassy of Chile website for the most current visa information.

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Chile.

Find information on dual nationalityprevention of international child abduction and customs regulations on our websites.

Safety and Security

Demonstrations occur frequently, especially on March 29, May 1 and 21, and September 11. Although most are peaceful, they can become violent. Avoid demonstrations if possible. Strikes are also common and can cause significant travel delays, especially if you are traveling to remote areas, such as Easter Island, Punta Arenas, and Chiloe.

Anarchist groups have placed explosive and incendiary devices in public spaces, such as ATMs, metro stations, and government facilities, throughout Santiago. Remain vigilant and avoid suspicious or unattended packages.

Araucanía Conflict: Some elements of and parties claiming affiliation with the Mapuche indigenous community have sought redress for grievances by burning churches, homes, and pastures, and attacking trucks, buses, and farming/logging equipment, causing property destruction, injuries, and deaths. While they have mainly targeted forestry corporations and landowners, you should exercise caution in the Araucanía region.

Crime: While the security environment is generally safe, street crime, carjackings, telephone scams, and residential break-ins are common, especially in Santiago, Valparaiso, Antofagasta, Calama, and Iquique. Exercise caution when touring Cerro Santa Lucia, Cerro San Cristobal, Mercado Central, Plaza de Armas, Bellavista, and Barrio Lastarria in Santiago, or other popular tourist sites as pick-pocketing and muggings occur frequently. Vehicle thefts are a serious problem in Valparaiso and northern Chile (from Iquique to Arica). In particular:

  • Keep all valuables on you when taking buses, especially to or from Calama and San Pedro de Atacama.  Thefts are common and are often done by people posing as bus employees. 
  • Credit card fraud is a concern.  Never allow your credit card to be charged outside of your view.
  • Do not accept assistance if your clothes are splashed with a wet, sticky substance - keep moving and do not let go of your bags.
  • ATMs have been blown up in the late evenings or early mornings.

Counterfeit and pirated goods are generally illegal in Chile. Bringing them to the United States may result in forfeitures and/or fines. See the intellectual property section of the U.S. Department of Justice website for more information.

See the Department of State and the FBI pages for information on scams.

Victims of Crime: Report crimes to the local police at 133 and contact the U.S. Embassy at (56) 2 2330-3716. Local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting crimes.

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • help you find appropriate medical care
  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • provide a list of local attorneys
  • provide our information on victim’s compensation programs in the U.S.
  • provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution
  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home
  • replace a stolen or lost passport

Domestic Violence: U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the Embassy for assistance or call local police at 149.

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned. Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the U.S., regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. See our webpage for further information.

Special Circumstances: Chile is prone to major earthquakes, wildfires, landslides, tsunamis, floods, and volcanic eruptions. Prepare for a natural disaster by consulting the websites of the U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and Chile's Oficina Nacional de Emergencia (ONEMI) as well as these recommendations on what to do during a tsunami warning.

There are minefields on Chile's border with Peru, Bolivia, and Argentina in Patagonia. Follow clearly identified roads and trails when in minefield areas. Consult with national park or other local officials concerning minefields.

For outdoor and adventure sports along the border with Argentina, Bolivia or Peru, register with DIFROL, which can provide a permit allowing travelers to temporarily cross borders to engage in outdoor activities. Despite the best efforts of local authorities, assisting persons lost or injured in isolated and wilderness areas is difficult. Distances between centers for outdoor sports and top-notch hospital care can be extreme. You should consider getting medical evacuation insurance. 

Before you go, consult:

Under Chilean law, you can be expelled from the country for damaging national heritage objects or places. Travelers should learn and adhere to all the rules of visiting national parks.

Faith-Based Travelers: See our following webpages for details:

LGBTI Travelers: There are no legal restrictions on adult same-sex sexual relations or the organization of LGBTI events in Chile. There have been cases of discrimination due to sexual orientation and gender identity, including cases involving violence or death. Laws also prevent transgender persons from changing gender markers on government-issued identity documents.

See our LGBTI Travel Information page and section 6 of our Human Rights report for further details.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance: Many public places and transportation are not adapted to accommodate the needs of persons with disabilities. For information on handicap accessible locations in Santiago and other locations, visit the Chilean National Disability Agency (SENADIS) or

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Women Travelers: See our travel tips for Women Travelers.


Medical care in Chile is generally good, though it may not meet U.S. standards in remote areas. Major hospitals accept credit cards. Santiago has two private hospitals accredited by The American Hospital Association:  Clinica Alemana and Clinica Las Condes.  

We do not pay medical bills. Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas.

Medical Insurance: Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most care providers overseas only accept cash payments. See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage.

We strongly recommend supplemental insurance to cover medical evacuation.

If traveling with prescription medication, check with the government of Chile to ensure the medication is legal in Chile. Always carry a sufficient supply of your prescription medication in original packaging with your doctor’s prescription.

 The following diseases are prevalent:

  • Dengue Fever (endemic to Easter Island but not found on continental Chile).
  • Air pollution is a concern in many parts of Chile including Santiago, Rancagua, Talca, Chillan, Los Angeles, Temuco, Osorno, and Coyhaique (and is most severe in winter (May-August)).
  • The ozone layer is especially thin over parts of Chile -protect yourself from ultraviolet radiation.

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Further health information:

Travel and Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety: Driving in Chile is relatively safe, road conditions are very good, and roadside assistance is widely available with local insurance. Yellow reflective vests are required in all cars in case of a roadside emergency. Vehicular inspections are required yearly in order to renew your mandatory car insurance. In the more remote parts of Chile, gas stations and roadside assistance may be limited so it is advisable to travel with at least one spare tire and extra fuel.

Traffic Laws: Driving under the influence of alcohol in Chile is severely punished and can result in incarceration. While in Chile, you may encounter road conditions and traffic laws that differ significantly from those in the United States:

  • Right-hand turns are prohibited at red lights unless otherwise posted.
  • Major highways in and around Santiago collect tolls through the use of an electronic transmitter (available at
  • Secondary and mountain roads may be poorly maintained, poorly lit, and may lack guardrails.
  • Some primary roads to remote tourist attractions are not paved, but are well maintained, with graded gravel.
  • Many drivers do not signal lane changes and rarely yield to merging traffic.
  • Many drivers exceed posted speed limits, do not maintain safe distances, and do not observe posted road signs.
  • Major arteries in Santiago may switch directions during morning and evening rush hours.
  • Drivers must carry sufficient Chilean pesos to pay frequent highway tolls.

Visitors can drive with a valid U.S. license for the duration of their tourist permit (usually 90 days). Renting a car is also possible although insurance may not be available in some forms for drivers without a Chilean or international driver’s license. Dual nationals and U.S. citizens residing in Chile should have a Chilean driver’s license.

Public Transportation: Taxis and public transportation are generally safe, plentiful, and relatively inexpensive. Avoid using unmetered taxis. To use the public bus system in Santiago, you need to obtain the prepaid “Bip” card, which can also be used on the Santiago subway.

See our Road Safety page for more information. Visit the website of Chile’s National Tourist Office and national authority responsible for road safety.

Aviation Safety Oversight: The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has assessed the Government of Chile’s Civil Aviation Authority as being in compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards for oversight of Chile’s air carrier operations. Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page.

Maritime Travel: Mariners planning travel to Chile should also check for U.S. maritime advisories and alerts on the Maritime Administration website. Information may also be posted to the websites of the U.S. Coast Guard and the National Geospace Intelligence Agency (select “broadcast warnings”).

Hague Convention Participation
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention?
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention?
What You Can Do
Learn how to respond to abductions FROM the US
Learn how to respond to abductions TO the US
Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Santiago

Avenida Andres Bello 2800, Las Condes
Santiago, Chile
Telephone: +(56)(2) 2330-3000
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(56)(2) 2330-3000
Emergency Working-Hours Telephone: +(56)(2) 2330-3716
Fax: +(56)(2) 2330-3710

General Information

Chile and the United States have been treaty partners under the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention) since July 1, 1994.

For information concerning travel to Chile, including information about the location of the U.S. Embassy, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for Chile.

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on International Parental Child Abduction (IPCA).  The report is located here.


Hague Abduction Convention

The U.S. Department of State serves as the U.S. Central Authority (USCA) for the Hague Abduction Convention.  In this capacity, the Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizens Services, Office of Children’s Issues facilitates the submission of applications under the Hague Abduction Convention for the return of, or access to, children located in countries that are U.S. treaty partners, including Chile.  Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance prior to initiating the Hague process directly with the foreign Central Authority.

Contact information:

U.S. Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs
Office of Children's
SA-17, 9th Floor

The Chilean Central Authority for the Hague Abduction Convention is the Corporación de Asistencia Judicial de la Región Metropolitana.  The Chilean Central Authority performs the duties given to central authorities under the Hague Abduction Convention, including processing Hague Abduction Convention applications for return of and access to children.  They can be reached at:

Corporación de Asistencia Judicial de la Región Metropolitana

Calle Agustinas 1419
Tel./Fax: +56 (2) 937 1435

To initiate a Hague case for return of, or access to, a child in Chile, the left-behind parent should submit a Hague application to the Chilean Central Authority (the Corporación de Asistencia Judicial de la Región Metropolitana) through the U.S. Central Authority (USCA).  The USCA is available to answer questions about the Hague application process, to forward a completed application to the Chilean Central Authority, and to subsequently monitor its progress through the foreign administrative and legal processes. 

There are no fees for filing Hague applications with either the United States or Chilean central authorities.  Attorney fees, if necessary, are the sole responsibility of the person hiring the attorney.  Additional costs may include airplane tickets for court appearances and for the return of the child, if so ordered.


A parent or legal guardian may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for return to the United States of a child abducted to, or wrongfully retained in, Chile.  The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand whether the Convention is an available civil remedy and can provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.


A person may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for access to a child living in Chile.  The criteria for acceptance of a Hague access application vary from country to country.  The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand country-specific criteria and provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.

Retaining an Attorney

Retaining a private attorney is not required in order to submit a Hague Convention application to a court in Chile. For Hague return and access applications, attorneys from the Chilean Central Authority are available to represent the applicant parent, regardless of financial need.

The U.S. Embassy in Santiago, Chile posts list of attorneys including those who specialize in family law.

This list is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the persons or firms contained on this list. Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the lawyers.


In Chile, mediation is not available in Hague Convention cases. However, there are mediation centers to assist parents with other family issues at their request. The Chilean Central Authority is evaluating a way to incorporate mediation as an option in Hague abduction and access cases in the future. Additional information about mediation services is available here.

This link to information about mediation is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of the information or services contained therein. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the persons or firms contained on this list.

Exercising Custody Rights

While travelling in a foreign country, you are subject to the laws of that country. It is important for parents to understand that, although a left-behind parent in the United States may have custody or visitation rights pursuant to a U.S. custody order, that order may not be valid and enforceable in the country in which the child is located.  For this reason, we strongly encourage you to speak to a local attorney if planning to remove a child from a foreign country without the consent of the other parent.  Attempts to remove your child to the United States may:

  • Endanger your child and others;
  • Prejudice any future judicial efforts; and
  • Could result in your arrest and imprisonment.

The U.S. government cannot interfere with another country’s court or law enforcement system.

To understand the legal effect of a U.S. order in a foreign country, a parent should consult with a local attorney in the country in which the child is located.  

For information about hiring an attorney abroad, see our section on Retaining a Foreign Attorney. 

Although we cannot recommend an attorney to you, most U.S. Embassies have lists of attorneys available online. Please visit the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate website for a full listing.

For more information on consular assistance for U.S. citizens arrested abroad, please see our website.

Country officers are available to speak with you Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  For assistance with an abduction in progress or any emergency situation that occurs after normal business hours, on weekends, or federal holidays, please call toll free at 1-888-407-4747. See all contact information.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this flyer is provided for general information only, is not intended to be legal advice, and may change without notice. Questions involving interpretation of law should be addressed to an attorney licensed in the relevant jurisdiction. 


Hague Convention Participation
Hague Adoption Convention Country?
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

Adoptions from Chile to the United States are not possible at this time. Under Chilean law, foreign adoption service providers must be authorized to provide services in adoptions from Chile by Servicio Nacional de Menores de Chile (SENAME). No U.S. adoption service provider is currently authorized to provide services in adoptions from Chile.

Please see our section on Adoptions from the United States for more information on the process for adopting a child from the United States. 

Please visit the Department of State’s Country Specific Information for more information on travelling to Chile and the U.S. Embassy in Santiago’s website for information on consular services.

Who Can Adopt
enter text here
Who Can Be Adopted
enter text here
How to Adopt
enter text here
Traveling Abroad
enter text here
After Adoption
enter text here
Contact Information

U.S. Embassy in Chile
Consular Section - Immigrant Visas

Avenida Andrés Bello 2800
Santiago, Chile
Tel: (56)(2) 335-6550
Fax: (56)(2) 330-3005

Chile’s Adoption Authority
Servicio Nacional de Menores de Chile (SENAME)
Unidad de Adopción
Huerfanos 587
Santiago, Chile
Telephone: (56)(2) 398-4447

Embassy of Chile in the United State
1732 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20036
Tel: (202) 785-1746
Fax: (202) 887-5579

Reciprocity Schedule

Select a visa category below to find the visa issuance fee, number of entries, and validity period for visas issued to applicants from this country*/area of authority.

Explanation of Terms

Visa Classification: The type of nonimmigrant visa you are applying for.

Fee: The reciprocity fee, also known as the visa issuance fee, you must pay. This fee is in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee (MRV fee).

Number of Entries: The number of times you may seek entry into the United States with that visa. "M" means multiple times. If there is a number, such as "One", you may apply for entry one time with that visa.

Validity Period: This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used, from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel with that visa. If your Validity Period is 60 months, your visa will be valid for 60 months from the date it is issued.

Visa Classifications
Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 60 Months
A-2 None Multiple 60 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 24 Months
B-1 None Multiple 120 Months
B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
C-1 None Multiple 60 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 60 Months
C-2 None Multiple 12 Months
C-3 None Multiple 60 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 60 Months
E-1 2 None Multiple 60 Months
E-2 2 None Multiple 60 Months
E-2C 12 None Multiple 24 Months
F-1 None Multiple 60 Months
F-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-1 None Multiple 60 Months
G-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-3 None Multiple 36 Months
G-4 None Multiple 60 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 24 Months
H-1B-1 None Multiple 18 Months
H-1B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-1C None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2A None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2R None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
I None Multiple 60 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 60 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 60 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Multiple 60 Months
L-2 None Multiple 60 Months
M-1 None Multiple 60 Months
M-2 None Multiple 60 Months
N-8 None Multiple 60 Months
N-9 None Multiple 60 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 6 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 60 Months
R-2 None Multiple 60 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None One 48 Months
U-2 None One 48 Months
U-3 None One 48 Months
U-4 None One 48 Months
U-5 None One 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8
Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes
  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents

Please check back for update.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates

Birth Certificates

  • Available: Anyone may request a copy of a person's birth certificate at the local office of the Civil Registry ( The request will be granted immediately if the subject's name, date and place of registration, and identity card number are provided. Failure to provide complete information will lead to delays. Hand written certificates are not accepted.  The Consular Section only accepts birth certificates with parents names included.



The Certificado de Defuncion is issued by the Civil Registry ( of the place where the death occurred, and is the only legally valid evidence of a death occurring in Chile. The certificate details the time and cause of death and bears the signature and seal of the Civil Registrar. There may be a fee for this service.



Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Marriage Certificates


Available: The Certificado de Matrimonio is available at the Civil Registry or online at The certificate sets out the names and identity card numbers of the contracting parties, the place and date of the marriage, and bears the signature and seal of the Civil Registrar. At the time of the marriage, a booklet called the Family Book (Libreta de Familia) is issued and contains spaces to record the birth and deaths of children born to the couple, as well as the deaths of the contracting couple. Nevertheless, the official marriage certificate is required.


Divorce Certificates


Available: Divorce Certificates are available as an amendment that is annotated on the marriage certificate.

Document Name: Certificado de Matrimonio with the divorce annotation.


Adoption Certificates

Not available, per se. The final court order granting custody to the adoptive parents also mandates the re-registration of the child's birth to show the adoptive parents as the natural parents. All documents relating to the prior identification are destroyed.

Identity Card

(Cedula Nacional de Identidad)

Everybody in Chile over 18 years old must have an Identity Card (Cédula de Identidad, sometimes referred as "Carné de Identidad") issued by the Service of Civil Record and Identification (Servicio de Registro Civil e Identificación).

On the front side there is a color photograph, a "ghost" smaller photograph and the cardholder’s father's and mother’s last names. It also includes the holder’s name (usually, a first name and middle name, sharing the same line), sex and nationality, birth date, date of card issuance and expiration (usually 6 years after being issued), the bearer's signature, and the cardholder's ID number (Rol Único Nacional, abbreviated as RUN). The RUN never changes: it is bound to the person’s identity, not to the current document.

On the reverse appears the right thumb fingerprint and a barcode containing the main biographic data. It also includes the serial number of the card, which can be used to block it from being used in case the card is lost or stolen. You can also use this serial number to check the current status of the card in the web site of the Servicio de Registro Civil e Identificación (

The ID card includes several security measures:

  • Relief figure depicting Copihues (the national flower) located as a vertical line near the right edge of the card (front side).
  • Image of the Chilean Coat of Arms, visible only under UV light.
  • The whole card has an UV coating. If the card is modified, the coating would be damaged.
Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Records

Available. Chilean citizens who apply for police certificates in Chile must do so in person at the Civil Registry and the certificate is delivered immediately. In Santiago, the Civil Registry is located at Huerfanos 1560, and the business hours are Monday through Friday from 08:30 to 15:30. Applicants must carry their valid Chilean Identification Card (Cedula Nacional de Identidad). Chilean citizens abroad may apply through the nearest Chilean Consulate, which will forward the application to the Civil Registry. Foreigners resident in Chile who have a Chilean Identity Card follow the same procedures as Chilean citizens. There may be a fee for this service.

Court Records


Prison Records

Available. Any prison record is noted on the reverse of the police certificate and is called the Certificado de Antecedentes para Fines Especiales.

Military Records

Available. Military service certificates (Certificado de Situacion Militar) are issued by the Recruiting Officer of each military district and contain information on the military status of the applicant as it appears on the military's roll book (Carnet de Enrolamiento). There may be a fee for this service.

Passports & Other Travel Documents

Chilean passports issued since September 1, 2013 are e-passports, machine readable, ICAO-MRP compliant, and difficult to obtain fraudulently. They are red with copper-colored lettering and bear the seal of the government of Chile. Older, non-ICAO compliant passports (with blue covers and copper-colored lettering) are no longer issued, but are still in use and valid for travel.

Chile also issues official (bright blue) and diplomatic passports (dark blue) that are also e-passports. 

Other Records

Not applicable.

Visa Issuing Posts

Santiago (Embassy)

Address: Av. Andrés Bello 2800, Las Condes
Santiago, Chile
Switchboard: (56-2) 2330-3000.
Fax: (56-2) 2330-3710.
Embassy hours: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.




Visa Services

The U.S. Embassy in Santiago, Chile processes applications for all visa categories for the following areas:

  • Chile
  • Easter Island
  • Islas Juan Fernandez

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information

Washington, DC (202) 530-4104 (202) 530-4106 (202) 530-4107 (202) 530-4145

Chicago, IL (312) 654-8780 (312) 654-8948

Houston, TX (713) 621-5853 (713) 621-8672

Los Angeles, CA (323) 933-3697 (323) 933-3842

Miami, FL (305) 373-8623 (305) 379-6613

New York, NY (212) 980-3366 (212) 888-5288

San Francisco, CA (415) 982-7662 (415) 982-2384

Assistance for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Embassy Santiago
Avenida Andres Bello 2800, Las Condes
Santiago, Chile
+(56)(2) 2330-3000
+(56)(2) 2330-3000
+(56)(2) 2330-3710
Chile Map

Search for Travel Advisories
Additional Information for Reciprocity

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.