Apostille Requirements

An apostille certifies a document so countries in the 1961 Hague Convention will recognize it. 

Federally-Issued Documents

If you have a document issued by the federal government and will use it in countries in the Hague Convention, you may need us to add an apostille. 

The documents must include a signature of the official's name, title, and seal of the agency. Documents signed by the following officials must have this apostille: 

  • U.S. federal official 
  • U.S. consular officer 
  • A military notary, judge advocate, or a foreign consul registered with the U.S. Department of State's Office of Protocol  

Before submitting documents to us, you must:

1) Get a notary public to notarize each document:

  • Using a county notary? Go to the clerk of court first, and then a state office.
  • Using a state notary? Go to a state office. 

2) Make sure seals and signatures are originals

  • Get a certified copy from a notary public. A certified copy is a copy of a primary document with a certificate on it that it is the true copy.
  • Get records, court documents, and federally-issued documents certified at the state level.

3) Get any documents in a foreign language translated into English. Get the translation notarized. 

4) After you get your document(s) notarized, mail your Form DS-4194 and documents to us.

State-Issued Documents

If you're using the document in a country that is in the Hague Convention, get it certified by the state that executed the document. We will not issue an apostille.

If you're using the document in a country not in the Hague Convention, get it certified with an authentication certificate

Last Updated: May 20, 2024