When requesting Authentication Services via mail, please include the following:
- A completed Request of Authentications Service DS-4194 form – Be sure to specify the document’s country of use in Section 4
- A self-addressed prepaid envelope (FedEx not acceptable as of 02/01/2017)
Mail your complete packet to the following address:
Office of Authentications
U.S. Department of State
44132 Mercure Cir, P.O. Box 1206
Sterling, VA 20166-1206
Prior to submitting your packet, be sure to:
- Verify whether a U.S. Department of State authentication certificate or an apostille is needed.
- Plan ahead. The average processing time for mail-in requests is approximately twelve business days from the date of receipt by the Office of Authentications.
- Ensure that you have reviewed the certification requirements for each of your document(s).
- Include a self-addressed prepaid envelope which will be used to return your documents.
- Using tracked mail delivery will expedite handling of your request by mailroom and may prevent damage to documents caused by irradiation of USPS regular mail.
- When using tracked mail delivery, you will receive an update on when your mail has reached our mail distribution center, but not our physical office location.
- On the DS-4194 in Section 4, the Country of Use for each document must be specified before the document can be processed.
- Please do not include Federal Express Ground or Home for the return of your documents as the Federal Express Company will not accept them from our office.