Adoption Comment Page

The Department of State is interested in receiving comments or concerns from adopting families regarding your experience in the intercountry adoption process. We have provided several points of contact below to comment on your adoption service provider (ASP), your experience applying for your child's visa, or about the Form I-600 or Form I-800 petition process. The Department understands some prospective adoptive parents still involved in the adoption process are reluctant to report negative information about their ASP; however, we are committed to ensuring that all U.S. citizen prospective adoptive parents receive appropriate assistance with their intercountry adoption. Therefore, we encourage you to provide feedback, whether positive or negative, so that the quality of the intercountry adoption process can remain high. As the prospective adoptive parent, you play an important role in both the lives of the children that you adopt and in the future of intercountry adoptions.

If you had a problem with your accredited or approved ASP related to compliance with the Hague Adoption Convention, the Intercountry Adoption Act (IAA), or the federal implementing regulations (22 CFR 96) and have not been able to resolve the issue, you may file a complaint with the State Department as the U.S. Central Authority for the Hague Adoption Convention. If you submitted a complaint in writing directly to your ASP and it was not resolved through the organization's complaint process, you may file the complaint via our internet-based Hague Complaint Registry.

Complaints submitted to the Hague Complaint Registry are available to the ASP’s accrediting entity and the Department of State. We are committed to upholding the ethical standards, professional practices, and principles of the Hague Adoption Convention, the IAA, and the federal regulations.

If you would like to comment on an agency that is not accredited or approved to provide services in accordance with the Hague Adoption Convention, the IAA, or the federal implementing regulations, please e-mail the Office of Children’s Issues at the Department of State at You may also wish to contact your state's adoption agency licensing authority. For a list of these authorities, please visit U.S. Health and Human Service’s Child Information Welfare Gateway.

Adopting families may provide comments directly to the immigrant visa section at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where the visa interview was conducted. Please visit for U.S. Embassy and Consulate contact information. You may also contact the Visa Office’s public inquiries unit by calling 202-663-1225 (M-F, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. EST) to provide any feedback about the processing of an immigrant visa by a particular consular section.

If you would like to provide feedback related to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services determinations of your child’s Form I-600A, Form I-600, Form I-800A or Form I-800 petition, please contact the appropriate office listed below:

  1. USCIS National Benefits Center (NBC): If you filed your Form I-600A, Form I-600, Form I-800A or Form I-800 with the NBC, please contact the NBC.
  2. USCIS Overseas Office: If you filed your Form I-600A or Form I-600 with a USCIS office abroad, please contact that office directly. Please visit for a list of USCIS offices abroad and corresponding contact information.

If you wish to comment about issues under the responsibility of a foreign government, we encourage you to contact the adoption authority of the applicable country, which will best be able to address your input on adoption rules and procedures set forth by its government. We include contact information for a country’s adoption authority on our country-specific pages.