Exercise increased caution in the Turks and Caicos Islands due to crime.
Violent crime, such as armed robbery, shootings, and home invasions, is common. Police presence and emergency response are extremely limited.
Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.
If you decide to travel to the Turks and Caicos Islands:
- Avoid walking alone and at night.
- Do not answer your door at your hotel/residence unless you know who it is.
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.