Reissued with obsolete COVID-19 page links removed.
Exercise increased caution in Timor-Leste due to crime and civil unrest.
Country Summary: Timor-Leste has seen isolated instances of police responding to protests with force and the use of tear gas. Stone throwing attacks on vehicles can occur during gang conflicts and periods of unrest. Gender-based violence is high in Timor-Leste, and sexual harassment is fairly common.
Read the country information page for additional information on travel to Timor-Leste.
If you decide to travel to Timor-Leste:
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Use caution when walking or driving at night.
- Avoid demonstrations or crowds.
- Keep travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Obtain comprehensive medical insurance that includes medical evacuation.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Country Security Report for Timor-Leste.
- Visit the CDC page for the latest Travel Health Information related to your travel.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.