Travel Advisories


Travel Advisories

Slovenia Travel Advisory

Travel Advisory
January 10, 2018
Slovenia - Level 1: Exercise Normal Precautions

Exercise normal precautions in Slovenia. 

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.

If you decide to travel to Slovenia:

Travel Advisory Levels
1 Exercise normal precautions, 2 Exercise increased caution, 3 Reconsider travel, 4 Do not travel

Republic of Slovenia
Quick Facts

Six months recommended; at least three months beyond your planned departure from the Schengen area


One page required for entry stamp


Not required for stays under 90 days within each 180-day period




10,000 euros 


 10,000 euros

Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Ljubljana

Prešernova 31
1000 Ljubljana

Telephone: +(386) (1) 200-5595

Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(386) (1) 200-5556

Fax: +(386) (1) 200-5535 

Destination Description

See the Department of State’s Fact Sheet on Slovenia for information on U.S. – Slovenia relations. 

Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

Visit the Embassy of Slovenia website for the most current visa information.

Slovenia is party to the Schengen Agreement. This means that U.S. citizens may enter Slovenia for up to 90 days for tourist or business purposes without a visa. Your passport should be valid for at least three months beyond the period of stay. We strongly recommend six month remaining validity on you U.S. passport if you travel through Slovenia to other Schengen countries. You need to show sufficient funds and a return airline ticket to immigration officers. For additional details about travel into and within Schengen countries, please see our Schengen fact sheet.

  • To stay longer than 90 days within a 180-day period, you must apply for a visa prior to entering the Schengen Area or a temporary residency prior to entering Slovenia.
  • Applying for residency is time consuming. U.S. citizens must submit a FBI criminal records certificate less than three months old apostilled by the Department of State. Please see the Embassy’s website about Slovenia for information.
  • Apply for employment or study visas before entering Slovenia.
  • Remaining in Slovenia or the Schengen Area beyond 90 days without a residency permit may incur large fines, deportation, criminal charges, and/or travel restrictions.
  • Foreigners must carry official identification at all times (Slovenian residence card or your U.S. passport ).
  • You must obtain a stamp in your passport upon entering the Schengen Area, and show it when departing.
  • Non-EU citizens staying longer than three days must register with the police within 72 hours of arrival. Hotels and apartments/houses rented through a company will register you. In all other cases, you must registrater yourself at a police station. Failure to register can result in hefty fines.

HIV/AIDS Restrictions: The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Slovenia.

Information about dual nationality, prevention of international child abduction can be found or our website. For further information about customs regulations, please read our Customs Information  page.

Safety and Security

Credible information indicates terrorist groups continue to plot possible near term attacks in Europe. All European countries remain potentially vulnerable to attacks from transnational terrorist organizations. We remind U.S. citizens to remain vigilant with regard to their personal security and to exercise caution while traveling in Slovenia.

There are occasional strikes, protests, and other public demonstrations in Slovenia. Protests in Ljubljana are usually held in areas around Kongresni Trg (Congress Square), opposite the Slovenian Parliament, and sometimes near the U.S. Embassy. Some participants have occasionally expressed anti-U.S. sentiments. As all demonstrations can potentially turn confrontational or even violent, avoid these events whenever possible and exercise caution when in the vicinity of any such gathering. For additional information, check the Embassy’s website.

Crime: Slovenia’s overall crime rate is low. Incidents of purse snatching and pick-pocketing are most common in the tourist areas.

  • Use common sense, take security precautions, and report any incidents to the local police.
  • Vehicle break-in theft is a problem. Always lock your vehicles, use vehicle anti-theft devices, and park in well-lit areas or in residential or hotel garages. Be aware that bicycle theft is disproportionately high for other similarly situated cities. Ensure your bike(s) are secured before leaving them in a bicycle rack or bike park.
  • Exercise caution at so-called "gentlemen's clubs." Such establishments have presented foreign customers with inflated bar bills, and threatened those who refuse to pay.
  • U.S. citizens have reported sexual assaults in at least one nightclub in recent years. Use caution when accepting open drinks at bars or clubs, and don’t leave your drinks unattended.

See the Department of State and the FBI pages for information on scams.

Victims of Crime: U.S. citizens victims of sexual assault should first contact the U.S. Embassy. Report crimes to the local police by dialing 113. For medical emergencies, dial 112. Contact the U.S. Embassy by calling +386-1-200-5595 and afterhours by calling +386-1-200-5556. Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting the crimes.

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • provide a list of English-speaking medical care
  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • contact relatives or friends, with your written consent
  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • provide a list of local attorneys
  • provide information on victims’ compensation programs in the U.S.
  • replace a lost or stolen passport
  • provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support
  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home

Domestic Violence: U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the Embassy for assistance.

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned.

Furthermore, some crimes are also prosecutable in the U.S., regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

  • Penalties for possessing, using, or trafficking in illegal drugs in Slovenia are severe. Convicted offenders can expect long jail sentences and heavy fines.
  • Don’t buy counterfeit or pirated goods. They are illegal in United States and you may also be breaking local law.
  • Make sure you receive a receipt for your purchase when you buy something in Slovenia. Slovenian law allows inspectors to request to see your receipt of purchase upon exiting the business. If you do not present a receipt, you can be fined.
  • Slovenian authorities enforce strict regulations concerning the import, export, and use of firearms. You should contact the Embassy of the Republic of Slovenia in Washington, D.C. or the Consulate General in Cleveland if you are planning to transport a firearm into or out of Slovenia.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. See our webpage for further information.

Special Circumstances: Traveler’s checks are not universally accepted in Slovenia. ATMs are common in all major cities and are increasingly common in rural areas. Credit cards are broadly accepted.

Faith-Based Travelers: See our following webpages for details:

LGBTI Travelers: There are no legal restrictions on same-sex sexual relations or the organization of LGBTI events in Slovenia. There are no known safety and security issues for LGBTI individuals in Slovenia. The LGBTI community is protected by anti-discrimination laws, and there are no legal or governmental impediments to the organization of LGBTI events.

See our LGBTI Travel Information page and section 6 of our Human Rights report for further details.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance. Individuals with disabilities may find accessibility and accommodation very different in Slovenia from what you find in the United States. Under Slovenian law, persons with disabilities should have access to buildings, information, and communications. In practice, however, modification of public and private structures to improve access is a work in progress, and many buildings are not easily accessible. Most tourist destinations around Slovenia are accessible by those with disabilities.

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Women Travelers: See our travel tips for women travelers.


Adequate medical care is readily available. There is a list of English-speaking physicians and 24-hour pharmacies on the U.S. Embassy’s website. You may need a prescription to get medications purchased over-the-counter in the United States.

For stays longer than three months, consider getting a vaccine to prevent tick-borne encephalitis. This vaccine is not available in the United States, but is available in Slovenia, Clinics for preventive vaccinations can provide more information. Use insect repellent and inspect your body after being outdoors.

  • We do not pay medical bills. Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not pay claims overseas.

Medical Insurance: Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most care providers overseas only accept cash payments. See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage

If traveling with prescription medication, check with the government of Slovenia and its Ministry of Foreign Affairs to ensure the medication is legal in Slovenia. Always, carry your prescription medication in original packaging with your doctor’s prescription.

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Further health information:

World Health Organization
U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

Travel and Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety: Slovenia has a well-developed, connected, and clearly-marked road network with road signs and traffic rules consistent with those used throughout Europe.

  • Be alert to aggressive drivers both in cities and on highways. Many serious, high-speed accidents occur in Slovenia.
  • Emergency roadside assistance and towing services are available by dialing 1987. Dial 112 for an ambulance or fire brigade and 113 for police.
  • Obtain English traffic and road conditions from the Automobile Association of Slovenia, Traffic Information Center for Public Roads, or by calling (01) 530-5300.

Traffic Laws: Third-party liability insurance is required for all vehicles and can be purchased locally. Travelers driving rented automobiles from Croatia into Slovenia are generally able to purchase Slovenian insurance at the border.

  • Highway vignettes (windshield stickers) are required for all passenger vehicles and motorcycles using highways. Steep fines for driving without a vignette are one of the most common problems faced by U.S. citizens in Slovenia. Purchase a vignette in-country. If driving into Slovenia from neighboring countries, buy your vignette at a gas station before reaching the border.
  • You may have the opportunity to pay a reduced fine ticket on the spot. If you choose not to, the police may confiscate your passport until you pay the fine.
  • Don’t drink and drive. The maximum legal blood-alcohol limit is .05% and .00% for drivers with less than two years’ experience, drivers under 21, and trucks/bus drivers. 
  • Headlight (day and night), seatbelt, and helmet (on motorcycles) use is mandatory.
  • Using hand-held phones while driving is illegal, as is turning right on red.
  • Between November 15 and March 15, all cars must have winter/appropriate all-season tires. Police may require chains in heavy snow.

You need a valid U.S. driver’s license and an International Driving Permit (IDP) to legally drive. After one year, you must get a Slovenian driver’s license. The American Automobile Association and the American Automobile Touring Alliance issue IDPs.

Public Transportation: While taxis are generally safe and reliable, first ask for an estimated fare and ensure the meter is running during the journey. Visit the websites of Slovenia's national tourist office and the Slovenian Roads Agency for more information.

Bicycling: Cities have well-developed bicycling networks with marked bicycle lanes along most roads and many rules governing cycling.

See our Road Safety page for more information.

Aviation Safety Oversight: As there is no direct commercial air service to the United States by carriers registered in Slovenia, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has not assessed the government of Slovenia’s Civil Aviation Authority for compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards. Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page.

Maritime Travel: Mariners planning travel to Slovenia should check for U.S. maritime advisories and alerts at the Maritime Security Communications with Industry Web Portal. Information may also be posted to the U.S. Coast Guard homeport website and as a broadcast warning on the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency’s website. Find weather warnings specific to Slovenia at

Hague Convention Participation
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention?
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention?
What You Can Do
Learn how to respond to abductions FROM the US
Learn how to respond to abductions TO the US
Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Ljubljana

Prešernova 31
1000 Ljubljana

Telephone: +(386) (1) 200-5595

Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(386) (1) 200-5556

Fax: +(386) (1) 200-5535 

General Information

Slovenia and the United States have been treaty partners under the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention) since April 1, 1995.

For information concerning travel to Slovenia, including information about the location of the U.S. Embassy, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for Slovenia.

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on International Parental Child Abduction (IPCA).  The report is located here.


Hague Abduction Convention

The U.S. Department of State serves as the U.S. Central Authority (USCA) for the Hague Abduction Convention.  In this capacity, the Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizens Services, Office of Children’s Issues facilitates the submission of applications under the Hague Abduction Convention for the return of, or access to, children located in countries that are U.S. treaty partners, including Slovenia.  Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance prior to initiating the Hague process directly with the foreign Central Authority.

Contact information:

United States Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Telephone:  1-888-407-4747
Outside the United States or Canada: 1-202-501-4444

The Slovenian Central Authority (SCA) for the Hague Abduction Convention is the Ministry of Labour, Family, Social Affairs and Equal Opportunities, located in the Directorate of Family. The SCA has an administrative role in processing Hague Abduction Convention applications. The SCA takes measures to locate the child and taking parent and may approach local authorities to arrange a meeting to attempt a voluntary return of the child, if appropriate.  If the taking-parent does not agree to a return, the SCA files the petition with the family court in the jurisdiction where the defendant resides. 

The SCA can be reached at:

Ministry of Labour, Family, Social Affairs and Equal Opportunities of the Republic of Slovenia, Directorate of Family

Kotnikova 28
Republic of Slovenia
Tel.: +386 1 369 75 00 or +386 1 369 77 00
Fax: +386 1 369 78 32 or +386 1 369 79 18

To initiate a Hague case for return of, or access to, a child in Slovenia, the USCA encourages a parent or legal guardian to review the eligibility criteria and instructions for completing the Hague application form located at the Department of State’s website and contact the Department of State for assistance prior to initiating the Hague process directly with the SCA.  All documents written in English must be translated into Slovenian. Please note, however, that certified translations are not necessary. The USCA is available to answer questions about the Hague application process, to forward a completed application to the SCA, and to subsequently monitor its progress through the foreign administrative and legal processes. 

There are no fees for filing Hague applications with either the U.S. or Slovenian central authorities.  Attorney fees, if necessary, are the responsibility of the applicant parent.  Additional costs may include airplane tickets for court appearances and for the return of the child, if so ordered.


A parent or legal guardian may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for return to the United States of a child abducted to, or wrongfully retained in, Slovenia.  The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand whether the Convention is an available civil remedy and can provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.


A person may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for access to a child living in Slovenia.  The criteria for acceptance of a Hague access application vary from country to country.  The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand country-specific criteria and provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.

Retaining an Attorney

Parents or legal guardians are not required to retain a private attorney in order to file a Hague Abduction Convention application with a court in Slovenia. The SCA will submit the Hague petition, and provide legal representation.

Parents or legal guardians have the option to hire a private attorney to represent them, and the SCA will provide a list of attorneys and information about free legal assistance options in Slovenia. A privately hired attorney should contact the SCA as soon as possible after the Hague Abduction Convention application has been filed with the court.  

The U.S. Embassy in Ljubljana, Slovenia, posts a list of attorneys including those who specialize in family law.

This list is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the persons or firms included in this list. Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the lawyers.


The SCA promotes mediation in abduction cases and will attempt to initiate mediation in all Hague Abduction Convention cases. While courts cannot order mediation, judges can and do strongly encourage mediated resolutions and can stay hearings to permit parties the time to mediate.  

There are a number of organizations offering mediation services in Slovenia, including the Primus Institute, the Concordia Mediation Institute (Tel: +386-40-604-406), the Rakmo Institute, and the Association of Mediators of Slovenia/Društvo mediatorjev Slovenije.  A comprehensive list of mediators is available from the Ministry of Labor, Family, and Social Affairs

Exercising Custody Rights

While travelling in a foreign country, you are subject to the laws of that country. It is important for parents to understand that, although a left-behind parent in the United States may have custody or visitation rights pursuant to a U.S. custody order, that order may not be valid and enforceable in the country in which the child is located.  For this reason, we strongly encourage you to speak to a local attorney if planning to remove a child from a foreign country without the consent of the other parent.  Attempts to remove your child to the United States may:

  • Endanger your child and others;
  • Prejudice any future judicial efforts; and
  • Could result in your arrest and imprisonment.

The U.S. government cannot interfere with another country’s court or law enforcement system.

To understand the legal effect of a U.S. order in a foreign country, a parent should consult with a local attorney in the country in which the child is located.  

For information about hiring an attorney abroad, see our section on Retaining a Foreign Attorney. 

Although we cannot recommend an attorney to you, most U.S. Embassies have lists of attorneys available online. Please visit the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate website for a full listing.

For more information on consular assistance for U.S. citizens arrested abroad, please see our website.

Country officers are available to speak with you Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  For assistance with an abduction in progress or any emergency situation that occurs after normal business hours, on weekends, or federal holidays, please call toll free at 1-888-407-4747. See all contact information.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this flyer is provided for general information only, is not intended to be legal advice, and may change without notice. Questions involving interpretation of law should be addressed to an attorney licensed in the relevant jurisdiction. 


Hague Convention Participation
Hague Adoption Convention Country?
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

Slovenia is party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Convention). Intercountry adoption processing in Convention countries is done in accordance with the requirements of the Convention; the U.S. implementing legislation, the Intercountry Adoption Act of 2000 (IAA); and the IAA’s implementing regulations, as well as the implementing legislation and regulations of Slovenia.

Intercountry adoptions from Slovenia are extremely rare; no adoptions by U.S. citizen parents have taken place in the past decade.  

Below is the limited adoption information that the Department has obtained from the adoption authority of Slovenia. U.S. citizens interested in adopting children from Slovenia should contact the Central Authority of Slovenia to inquire about applicable laws and procedures. U.S. citizen prospective adoptive parents living in Slovenia who would like to adopt a child from the United States or from a third country should also contact Slovenia’s Central Authority. See contact information below.

Please visit the Department’s Country Specific Information for more information on travelling to Slovenia and the U.S. Embassy in Ljubljana’s website for information on consular services.

WARNING: The consular officer will send a letter (referred to as an “Article 5 Letter”) to the Slovenian Central Authority in any intercountry adoption involving U.S. citizen parents and a child from Slovenia where all Convention requirements are met and the consular officer determines that the child appears eligible to immigrate to the United States. This letter will inform the Slovenian Central Authority that the parents are eligible and suited to adopt, that all indications are that the child may enter and reside permanently in the United States, and that the U.S. Central Authority agrees that the adoption may proceed.

Do not attempt to adopt or obtain custody of a child in Slovenia before a U.S. consular officer issues the Article 5 Letter in any adoption case.

Remember: The consular officer will make a final decision about a child’s eligibility for an immigrant visa later in the adoption process.

Who Can Adopt
enter text here
Who Can Be Adopted
enter text here
How to Adopt
enter text here
Traveling Abroad
enter text here
After Adoption
enter text here
Contact Information

Slovenia’s Adoption Authority
Ministry of Labor, Family and Social Affairs
Family Directorate
Address: Kotnikova 28, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Phone: +386-1-369 75 00
Fax: +386-1-369 79 18

Reciprocity Schedule

Select a visa category below to find the visa issuance fee, number of entries, and validity period for visas issued to applicants from this country*/area of authority.

Explanation of Terms

Visa Classification: The type of nonimmigrant visa you are applying for.

Fee: The reciprocity fee, also known as the visa issuance fee, you must pay. This fee is in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee (MRV fee).

Number of Entries: The number of times you may seek entry into the United States with that visa. "M" means multiple times. If there is a number, such as "One", you may apply for entry one time with that visa.

Validity Period: This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used, from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel with that visa. If your Validity Period is 60 months, your visa will be valid for 60 months from the date it is issued.

Visa Classifications
Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 60 Months
A-2 None Multiple 60 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 24 Months
B-1 None Multiple 120 Months
B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
C-1 None Multiple 120 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 120 Months
C-2 None Multiple 12 Months
C-3 None Multiple 48 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 120 Months
E-1 2 None Multiple 60 Months
E-2 2 None Multiple 60 Months
E-2C 12 None Multiple 24 Months
F-1 None Multiple 60 Months
F-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-1 None Multiple 60 Months
G-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-3 None One 60 Months
G-4 None Multiple 60 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 24 Months
H-1B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-1C None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2A None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2R None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
I None Multiple 60 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 60 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 60 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Multiple 60 Months
L-2 None Multiple 60 Months
M-1 None Multiple 60 Months
M-2 None Multiple 60 Months
N-8 None Multiple 60 Months
N-9 None Multiple 60 Months
NATO 1-6 10 None Multiple 60 Months
NATO-7 1 None Multiple 24 Months
O-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 15 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 60 Months
R-2 None Multiple 60 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 60 Months
V-2 None Multiple 60 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 60 Months 8
Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes
  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents

Please check back for update.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates

Birth, Marriage, and Death Certificates

Available. Birth (Izpisek iz maticnega registra o rojstvu) and Death Certificates (Izpisek iz maticnega registra o smrti) are available from the civil registrar (Maticar) at any of Administrative Unit (Upravna Enota) office in the country. The first certificate of birth or death is free, but subsequent copies require payment of a small fee. Individuals may also request the international version of the certificate which is issued in Slovene, English and six other languages. Applicants and their authorized representatives may apply for all certificates in person or by mail, or online, if no fee is required. 

Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Birth, Marriage, and Death Certificates

Available. Marriage (Izpisek iz maticnega registra o sklenjeni zakonski zvezi) certificates are available from the civil registrar (Maticar) at any of Administrative Unit (Upravna Enota) office in the country. The first certificate of marriage is free, but subsequent copies require payment of a small fee. Individuals may also request the international version of the certificate which is issued in Slovene, English and six other languages. Applicants and their authorized representatives may apply for all certificates in person or by mail, or online, if no fee is required. For marriages, only civil marriages are legal and marriage by proxy is not permitted.

Same-sex marriage is not legally recognized in Slovenia.

Statement of Unmarried Status

Available. The civil registrar of any Administrative Unit will issue a certificate (Samski List) stating that the applicant is free to marry and that there are no legal impediments to the marriage.

Divorce Certificates

Available. Copies of divorce judgments are available from the Family Law Division of the District Court (Družinski oddelek okrožnega sodišca) which decided the case. Only a divorce certificate obtained through a civil court is a legal document.

Adoption Certificates

Please check back for update.

Identity Card

Available. While Slovenes are not required by law to carry the identity card, the cards are proof of citizenship and permanent residence, so most Slovenes have one. The identity card contains the applicant's photograph, date and place of birth, permanent address, personal identification number, registry number, and signature. Applicants must apply in person for an identity card at any Administrative Unit (Upravna Enota) office in the country. In emergency cases, such as an urgent business trip, personal medical treatment, or the death or illness of a close relative, one can also apply for an identity card at the Ministry of Interior.

Police, Court, Prison Records

Police and Court Records

Available. Individuals may obtain a Certificate of No Criminal Record (Potrdilo o nekaznovanosti) from the Criminal Records Office (Kazenska evidenca) within the Ministry of Justice (Ministrstvo za Pravosodje), Zupanciceva 3, 1000 Ljubljana. Individuals may also obtain a Certificate of No Current Penal Proceedings (Potrdilo da oseba ni v kazenskem postopku) issued by the County Court (Okrajno sodišce) with jurisdiction over their place of residence. Immigrant visa applicants should request both documents along with certified English translations.

Prison Records

Available. A statement of the time spent in a criminal institution and the relevant charges can be obtained from the Department for the Execution of Penal Sanctions (Služba za izvrševanje kazenskih sankcij) within the Ministry of Justice (Ministrstvo za Pravosodje).

Military Records

Available. The branch office of the Department of Defense (Uprava za Obrambo) located in the applicant's municipality will issue a Certificate of Military Service (Potrdilo o služenju vojaškega roka). Applicants must apply in person.

Passports & Other Travel Documents

Slovenia started to issue machine-readable passports with digital photos and dark red covers on March 1, 2001. In August 2006, Slovenia began issuing an e-passport with a chip that contains the biographic data as well as the digital image of the bearer. The biometric passports bear a red cover, but are distinguishable from non-biometric passports by the ICAO-mandated e-passport symbol on the front. Slovenia also issues dual-language passports in both Hungarian and Italian to its citizens who are members of those ethnic minorities. The format and security features of these documents are identical to the non-dual-language versions, except that all text, including that on the cover, is written in both Slovene and the other language.

Other Records

Not applicable.

Visa Issuing Posts

Ljubljana, Slovenia (Embassy)

Zagreb, Croatia (Embassy)

Visa Services

Nonimmigrant and Immigrant visas for all of Slovenia. Residents of Slovenia may also apply for NIVs in Zagreb, if physically present in Croatia.


Foreign Consular Office Contact Information

Washington, DC (202) 386-6601 (202) 386-6633

Cleveland, OH (216) 589-9220 (216) 589-9210

New York, NY (212) 370-3007 (212) 370-1824

Assistance for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Embassy Ljubljana
Prešernova 31
1000 Ljubljana
+(386) (1) 200-5595
+(386) (1) 200-5556
+(386) (1) 200-5535
Slovenia Map

Search for Travel Advisories
Additional Information for Reciprocity

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.