Emergency Alert
September 17, 2017
Hurricanes Irma and Jose
Emergency Alert
October 2, 2017
Hurricane Maria

Travel Advisories


Travel Advisories

Singapore Travel Advisory

Travel Advisory
January 10, 2018
Singapore – Level 1: Exercise normal precautions

Exercise normal precautions in Singapore. 

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.

If you decide to travel to Singapore:

Travel Advisory Levels
1 Exercise normal precautions, 2 Exercise increased caution, 3 Reconsider travel, 4 Do not travel

Republic of Singapore
Quick Facts

Six months


Two page requirement for entry stamp


Not required for stays under 90 days


Yellow fever for travelers from certain countries


20,000 Singapore Dollars


20,000 Singapore Dollars


Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Singapore

27 Napier Road
Singapore 258508
Telephone: +(65) 6476-9100
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(65) 6476-9100
Fax: +(65) 6476-9232

Destination Description

See the Department of State’s Fact Sheet on Singapore for information on U.S – Singapore relations.

Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

To enter Singapore, you need a passport that is valid for at least six months beyond the date of your intended stay. If you plan on regional travel beyond Singapore, make sure that your passport is valid for at least six months beyond the date you plan to enter other countries in the region. You do not need a visa for tourist or business visits up to 90 days.

Visit the Embassy of Singapore website for the most current visa information. 

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to Singapore.  Foreign workers applying for an employment pass are required to undergo a medical screening for HIV/AIDS and a positive test will result in the rejection of a foreign worker’s application.

Find information on dual nationalityprevention of international child abduction and customs regulations on our websites.

Safety and Security

While Singapore is considered generally safe, extremist groups in Southeast Asia have launched attacks in neighboring countries. U.S. citizens residing in or traveling to Singapore and neighboring countries should exercise caution and remain vigilant about their surroundings, particularly in areas where U.S. citizens and other Westerners live, work, congregate, shop, or visit.

Border Crossing: Several U.S. citizens have reported difficulties at the Johor Bahru Malaysian Immigration checkpoint when crossing the border into Malaysia from Singapore. You are advised to follow all entry directions, present your passports only to immigration officials, and be sure immigration officials stamp your passport with the correct date upon entering and exiting Malaysia. Lacking correct documentation or proof of entry into Malaysia may result in high fines and detention. 

Messages regarding demonstrations and strikes, explosive devices/suspicious packages, and weather-related events are posted on the Embassy’s website

Crime: The crime rate in Singapore is generally low. Even so, you should pay particular attention to personal belongings while in crowded shopping malls and markets, at the airport, and while traveling on public transportation. To avoid credit card fraud, do not carry multiple credit cards on your person, do not allow credit cards to be removed from your sight, avoid giving credit card information over the phone, and use only secure Internet connections for financial transactions.

See the Department of State and the FBI pages for information on scams.

Victims of Crime:

Report crimes in the case of an emergency to the local police at 999 and contact the U.S. Embassy at 6476-9100. 

Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting crimes committed in Singapore.

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • help you find appropriate medical care
  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • provide a list of local attorneys
  • provide information on victim’s compensation programs in the U.S.
  • provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution
  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home
  • replace a stolen or lost passport

Domestic Violence: U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the Embassy for assistance.

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, imprisoned, or even caned. 

Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the U.S., regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

In Singapore, you may be taken in for questioning if you don’t have your passport with you. You may wish to learn more about the following penalties for certain crimes in Singapore:

  • Possible arrest for jaywalking, littering, or spitting
  • Mandatory caning for vandalism offenses
  • Possible imprisonment, caning, or fines for immigration violations or
  • Possible imprisonment, caning or fines for sex crimes or sexually inappropriate behavior. Lewd, unwanted behavior, including inappropriate comments, messages, or photography,, toward women who find it offensive may result in fines and imprisonment (“Insulting the modesty of woman”). If there is unwanted physical contact of any kind involved (“Outrage of modesy”, molestation), the laws are gender neutral and punishments generally more severe.
  • Severe penalties for drug-related charges, including the death penalty or caning.
  • Strict penalties for those who possess or carry fire arms, or who commit crimes with fire arms

Singapore does not recognize dual nationality beyond the age of 21, and it strictly enforces universal national service for all male citizens and permanent residents. To determine if you will have a national service obligation, you should contact the Ministry of Defense.

Drunk and disorderly conduct is treated seriously, and can lead to a fine or being sent to prison.   As of April 1, 2015, it is illegal to drink alcohol in a public place between 10:30 pm and 7:00 am. Geylang and Little India are designated as “Liquor Control Zones” where drinking in public places is prohibited all weekend, on public holidays, and the eve of public holidays. Under the Liquor Control Act, you could be fined up to SG$1,000 for consuming alcohol in a public place during prohibited hours.

Public Demonstrations: Public demonstrations are legal only at Speakers’ Corner in Hong Lim Park and most outdoor public assemblies require a police permit. Singapore amended its laws in April 2017 to forbid foreign nationals who are not permanent residents from observing permitted public demonstrations, assemblies, and processions at Speakers’ Corner. The law does not distinguish between participants and observers, so anyone at Speakers’ Corner could be considered part of an event. Penalties may be severe, including large fines and/or imprisonment.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. See our webpage for further information.

Faith-Based Travelers: The Singapore Convention of Jehovah’s Witness and the Unification Church continue to be banned by the Singapore government  All written materials published by the International Bible Students Association and the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, publishing arms of the Jehovah’s Witnesses, remained banned by the government.

See our following webpages for additional Faith-based traveling details:

LGBTI Travelers: Singapore does not recognize same-sex unions.  The Penal Code criminalizes any “act of gross indecency” between two men and prescribes a sentence not exceeding two years for those found guilty under this law. The Singaporean government has stated that it will not enforce this section of the Penal Code but it remains on the statute books. The government issues permits for open air events that openly champion LGBTI issues on a limited basis but new regulations restrict foreign involvement. LGBTI individuals may have difficulty gaining employment in certain sectors of the civil service..  The Ministry of Manpower does not issue dependent passes (work permits) to partners in lesbian and gay relationships, even if legally married in another country.

See our LGBTI Travel Information page and section 6 of our Human Rights report for further details.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance: Singapore has established a comprehensive code of standards for barrier-free accessibility, including facilities for persons with physical disabilities, in all new buildings and has mandated the progressive upgrading of older structures. The Ministry of Social and Family Development (MSF) is responsible for protecting the rights of persons with disabilities and implementing programs and services in the disability sector.

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Women Travelers: See our travel tips for Women Travelers.


Good medical care is widely available in Singapore. Doctors and hospitals:

  • expect immediate, up-front payment for health services by credit card or cash
  • generally do not accept U.S. health insurance
  • may require a substantial deposit before admitting you for any major medical treatment

In certain circumstances, the Ministry of Health may access patient medical records without the consent of the patient, and in certain circumstances physicians may be required to report information relating to the diagnosis or treatment without the patient's consent.

Employment pass holders are subject to medical exams and may be denied or deported on medical grounds, including for HIV postitive infection.  The Government of Singapore recently ceased requiring waivers for tourism and business travel for HIV positive travelers.

Mosquito-borne diseases:  Dengue is active in Singapore and can be monitored at the Singapore National Environmental Agency.  In addition, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control issued a travel notice for Zika virus in Singapore and most neighboring countries are Zika endemic.

Haze: Air pollution from forest fires in neighboring countries occurs intermittently, usually between July and October. www.haze.gov.sg provides public updates on conditions.

We do not pay medical bills. Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas. We cannot provide a letter of guarantee for payment.

Medical Insurance: Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas.  Most care providers overseas only accept cash payments. See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage

We strongly recommend supplemental insurance (our webpage) to cover medical evacuation.

If traveling with prescription medication, check with the Government of Singapore to ensure the medication is legal in Singapore. Always carry your prescription medication in original packaging with your doctor’s prescription.

You should be aware of the following health concerns in Singapore:

  • Occasional outbreaks of mosquito-transmitted illnesses
  • Air pollution and haze during the summer months

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Further health information:

Travel and Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety: Singapore has a highly developed, well-maintained road and highway network. Be aware of motorcyclists, who often ignore lane markings.

The Automobile Association (AA) of Singapore provides roadside assistance, and the Land Transport Authority has rescue vehicles on the road at all hours. In addition, closed circuit cameras monitor all major roads.

Traffic Laws: Driving is done on the left-hand side of the road. Laws involving traffic rules, vehicle registration, and liability in case of accident are strictly enforced and may result in criminal penalties.

Public Transportation: Public transportation and taxis are abundant, inexpensive, and reliable. Bus stops and trains have panels indicating all routes and stops.

See our Road Safety page for more information. Visit the website of Singapore’s national tourist office and national authority responsible for road safety.

Aviation Safety Oversight: The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has assessed the Government of Singapore’s Civil Aviation Authority as being in compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards for oversight of Singapore’s air carrier operations. Further information may be found on the FAA safety assessment page.

Hague Convention Participation
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention?
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention?
What You Can Do
Learn how to respond to abductions FROM the US
Learn how to respond to abductions TO the US
Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Singapore

27 Napier Road
Singapore 258508
Telephone: +(65) 6476-9100
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(65) 6476-9100
Fax: +(65) 6476-9232

General Information

Singapore and the United States have been treaty partners under the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention) since May 1, 2012.

For information concerning travel to Singapore, including information about the location of the U.S. Embassy, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for Singapore. 

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on International Parental Child Abduction (IPCA).  The report is located here.


Hague Abduction Convention

The U.S. Department of State serves as the U.S. Central Authority (USCA) for the Hague Abduction Convention.  In this capacity, the Department's Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizens Services, Office of Children's Issues facilitates the submission of applications under the Hague Abduction Convention for the return of, or access to, children located in countries that are U.S. treaty partners, including Singapore.  Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance prior to initiating the Hague process directly with the foreign Central Authority

Contact information:

Bureau of Consular Affairs
Office of Children's
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Telephone:  1-888-407-4747
Outside the United States or Canada: 1-202-501-4444
Email: AskCI@state.gov

The Singapore Central Authority for the Hague Abduction Convention is the Ministry of Social and Family Development (MSF).  The MSF will facilitate locating the child and requesting a voluntary return.  When necessary, the MSF will also facilitate the care and protection of the child through a referral to the Child Protection Service (CPS) during the Hague proceedings.  The MSF can be reached at:

Rehabilitation, Protection and Residential Services Headquarters, Programme Branch
Ministry of Social and Family Development (MSF)
512 Thomson Road 0800 MSF Building
Singapore 298136
Telephone: (65) 63547645/63547646
Fax : (65) 63541514
Email: singapore_ca@msf.gov.sg
Website: Singapore Central Authority

To initiate a Hague case for return of a child in Singapore, the left-behind parent may choose to submit a Hague application to the MSF, either through the USCA or directly.  After review by the MSF, the left-behind parent or a privately-retained attorney must file the Hague application with the Singapore Family Court via the Electronic Filing System (EFS) in order to begin the Hague proceedings.  The MSF does not forward Hague applications to the Singapore Family Court.  A left-behind parent may also elect to file the Hague application directly with the Singapore Family Court, without contacting the USCA or the MSF. 

More information on EFS is available at: Singapore Judiciary's Electronic Filiing System

The USCA is available to answer questions about the Hague application process, to forward a completed application to the MSF, and to subsequently monitor its progress through the foreign administrative and legal processes. 

There are no fees for filing Hague applications with either the United States or the MSF.  If the applicant parent hires an attorney, attorney fees are the responsibility of the applicant parent.  Additional costs may include airplane tickets for court appearances and for the return of the child, if so ordered.


A parent or legal guardian may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for return to the United States of a child abducted to, or wrongfully retained in, Singapore.  The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand whether the Convention is an available civil remedy and can provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.


A person may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for access to a child living in Singapore.  The criteria for acceptance of a Hague access application vary from country to country.  The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand country-specific criteria and provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.

Retaining an Attorney

Mediation services for custody disputes are available through a non-profit organization, the Singapore Mediation Centre, and the Subordinate Court of Singapore, Family Court, Child Focus Resolution Centre.  More detailed information, including any fees, is available at: Singapore Mediation Centre and State Courts.


Mediation services for custody disputes are available through a non-profit organization, the Singapore Mediation Centre, and the Subordinate Court of Singapore, Family Court, Child Focus Resolution Centre.  More detailed information, including any fees, is available at: Singapore MediationCentre and State Courts.

Exercising Custody Rights

While travelling in a foreign country, you are subject to the laws of that country. It is important for parents to understand that, although a left-behind parent in the United States may have custody or visitation rights pursuant to a U.S. custody order, that order may not be valid and enforceable in the country in which the child is located.  For this reason, we strongly encourage you to speak to a local attorney if planning to remove a child from a foreign country without the consent of the other parent.  Attempts to remove your child to the United States may:

  • Endanger your child and others;
  • Prejudice any future judicial efforts; and
  • Could result in your arrest and imprisonment.

The U.S. government cannot interfere with another country’s court or law enforcement system.

To understand the legal effect of a U.S. order in a foreign country, a parent should consult with a local attorney in the country in which the child is located.  

For information about hiring an attorney abroad, see our section on Retaining a Foreign Attorney. 

Although we cannot recommend an attorney to you, most U.S. Embassies have lists of attorneys available online. Please visit the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate website for a full listing.

For more information on consular assistance for U.S. citizens arrested abroad, please see our website.

Country officers are available to speak with you Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  For assistance with an abduction in progress or any emergency situation that occurs after normal business hours, on weekends, or federal holidays, please call toll free at 1-888-407-4747. See all contact information.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this flyer is provided for general information only, is not intended to be legal advice, and may change without notice. Questions involving interpretation of law should be addressed to an attorney licensed in the relevant jurisdiction. 


Hague Convention Participation
Hague Adoption Convention Country?
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information


Singapore is not party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention).  Intercountry adoptions of children from non-Hague countries are processed in accordance with 8 Code of Federal Regulations, Section  204.3 as it relates to orphans as defined under the Immigration and Nationality Act, Section 101(b)(1)(F).

Because adoptions of children in Singapore are relatively rare and complicated, the U.S. Embassy in Singapore strongly urges U.S. citizens considering adopting a child in Singapore to consult with it before identifying or taking custody of a child or otherwise proceeding with an adoption.  The U.S. government is fully committed to protecting the welfare and interests of all parties to an adoption (children, birth parents, and adoptive parents), as well as the integrity of the adoption process, and hopes to avoid situations in which an adoption may have been completed under local law but the child is not eligible under U.S. immigration law to travel to the United States.

The U.S. Embassy in Singapore is aware of cases in which U.S. families have concluded adoptions in Singapore involving children of other nationalities.  It is critical that prospective adoptive parents understand that the laws of the child’s country of origin may remain relevant, even if the child has departed that country and is now residing in Singapore.  It is therefore important that U.S. prospective adoptive parents residing in Singapore who are considering adopting a child born outside Singapore in Singaporean court first consult with the U.S. Embassy prior to initiating the adoption process.

U.S. Immigration Requirements for Intercountry Adoptions

To bring an adopted child to the United States from Singapore, you must meet eligibility and suitability requirements.  The U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) determines who can adopt under U.S. immigration law.

Additionally, a child must meet the definition of orphan under U.S. immigration law in order to be eligible to immigrate to the United States on an IR-3 or IR-4 immigrant visa.


Who Can Adopt

In addition to U.S. immigration requirements, you must also meet the following requirements in order to adopt a child from Singapore:

  • Residency:  Under Singaporean law, prospective adoptive parents must be residents of Singapore and have legal immigration status. Residents of Singapore are Permanent Residents or Holders of an Employment Pass, Dependant’s Pass, or any other Pass which the Family Court deems for residents of Singapore.  This is in accordance with Section 4(6) of the Adoption of Child Act.
  • Age of Adopting Parents:  Prospective adoptive parents must be at least 25 years of age.  They must also be at least 21 years older than the child they plan to adopt.  These age restrictions may be waived in certain circumstances, including if there is a blood relationship between the child and the prospective adoptive parent(s).
  • Marriage:  Married couples must adopt jointly unless the non-adopting spouse cannot be found, is unable to give consent, or is separated from the adopting spouse and the separation is likely to become permanent.  Single men may not adopt female children except in rare cases, as determined by the court.  Single women are eligible to adopt.  Same sex marriage is prohibited in Singapore.
  • Income:  Assessment of the prospective adoptive parents’ employment history is part of the Home Study Report.  The assessment is designed to ensure that prospective adoptive parents have stable employment, regular income, and adequate financial resources to raise a child.
  • Other:  When adopting a foreign born (non Singaporean) child, Singapore requires foreign prospective adoptive parents to obtain a letter from their embassy endorsing the prospective adoptive parents’ adoption and stating that the child will be eligible to receive an entry visa upon application by the adoptive parents.  (Note: as in any adoption in Singapore, the foreign prospective adoptive parents must be resident in Singapore.)  The U.S. Embassy in Singapore is unable to provide this letter under U.S. immigration law.  However, U.S. prospective adoptive parents may instead wish to submit their approved Form I-600A to Singaporean authorities to establish their eligibility and suitability under U.S. law to adopt a child.
Who Can Be Adopted

In addition to U.S. immigration requirements, Singapore has specific requirements that a child must meet in order to be eligible for adoption:

  • Relinquishment:  In addition to the consent of your spouse (if you are married), you must obtain the notarized consent of the following persons (where applicable) before the Court will allow the adoption:
    • The biological parents of the child;
    • The legal guardian of the child;
    • The person who has the actual custody of the child;
    • The person who is responsible for supporting the child; or
    • The parents or guardian of the biological parent, if the biological parent is under 21 years of age.

The person who gives the consent must understand that an adoption order will permanently deprive him/her of his/her parental rights.  The Court can waive this consent if it is satisfied that the person whose consent cannot be obtained:

  • Has abandoned, neglected, or persistently ill-treated the child;
  • Cannot be found; or
  • Is unfit to care for the child and is unable to do so in the future.

The Court may also allow if there are any other special circumstances that justify the dispensation of consent.

  • Abandonment:  The Court can waive the consent requirement described above if it is satisfied that the person whose consent cannot be obtained:
    • Has abandoned, neglected, or persistently ill-treated the child;
    • Cannot be found; or
    • Is unfit to care for the child and is unable to do so in the future.

The Court may also allow a waiver if there are any other special circumstances that justify the dispensation of consent.

  • Age of Adoptive Child:  The child to be adopted must be below 21 years of age. This is in accordance with Section 3(2) of the Adoption of Child Act.

Please note that in order for a child to meet the definition of orphan under U.S. immigration law, a Form I-600 petition must be filed while the child is under the age of 16 (or under the age of 18 if adopted, or to be adopted, together with a sibling under the age of 16).

  • Sibling Adoptions:  The U.S. Embassy in Singapore is not aware of any specific Singaporean government policy regarding the adoption of siblings.
  • Special Needs or Medical Conditions:  The U.S. Embassy in Singapore is not aware of any specific Singaporean government policy regarding the adoption of children with special needs or medical conditions.
  • Waiting Period or Foster Care:  No requirements.

Caution:  Prospective adoptive parents should be aware that not all children in orphanages or children’s homes are adoptable.  In many countries, birth parents may place their child(ren) temporarily in an orphanage or children’s home due to financial or other hardship, intending that the child return home when this becomes possible.  In such cases, the birth parent(s) have rarely relinquished their parental rights or consented to their child(ren)’s adoption.

How to Adopt


Singapore’s Adoption Authority
Ministry of Social and Family Development (MSF)

The Process

The process for adopting a child from Singapore generally includes the following steps:

1.  Attend pre-adoption briefing
2.  Choose an adoption service provider
3.  Apply to be found eligible to adopt
4.  Be matched with a child
5.  Adopt the child in Singapore
6.  Apply for the child to be found eligible for orphan status
7.  Bring your child home

1.  Attend Pre-Adoption Briefing

Effective January 2012, all prospective adoptive parents must attend a compulsory Pre-Adoption Briefing (PAB) before either applying for a Home Study Report or beginning adoption proceedings.  The PAB is conducted by voluntary welfare organizations appointed by MSF.  The PAB will provide prospective adoptive parents with all relevant information on adoption, such as the adoption process and the responsibilities of being an adoptive parent.

2.  Choose an Adoption Service Provider

Before adopting a child from Singapore, you may wish to consider whether or not to use a licensed adoption service provider in the United States that can help you with your adoption.  Adoption service providers in the United States must be licensed by the state in which they operate.  The Department of State provides information on selecting an adoption service provider on its website.

Adopting a child in Singapore is a complex legal process requiring several court appearances.  Prospective adoptive parents may wish to consider whether to engage the services of a Singaporean attorney or adoption service provider.  Though MSF does not regulate adoption, MSF has designated specific voluntary welfare organizations to provide Home Study Reports (when needed) and the PAB.  

Please note that there are many private adoption agencies in Singapore.

Any person (or agency) found to have compromised the welfare of a child may be subject to charges under the Singaporean Children and Young Persons Act.  

3.  Apply to be Found Eligible to Adopt

In order to adopt a child from Singapore, you will need to meet the requirements of the Government of Singapore and U.S. immigration law. 

If you are adopting a non-Singaporean child, a child in state care (under MSF custody) or a child from “Project Cherub,” you must first submit a favorable Home Study Report to MSF.  Then you can apply to the Family Court in Singapore for the adoption.  When adopting a Singaporean child, a Home Study Report is not required and you can instead petition the Court directly.

You can submit an adoption application to the Family Court in person or through a lawyer.  For more information on this process, such as required documents, please refer to the Court’s Procedural Guide to Adoptions.

To meet U.S. immigration requirements, you may also file an I-600A, Application for Advance Processing of an Orphan Petition with U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to be found eligible and suitable to adopt.

4.  Be Matched with a Child

If you are found eligible to adopt and have received a favorable Home Study Report, if you are seeking to adopt a child under state care (MSF) or from Project Cherub, and if a child is available and is deemed eligible for adoption by the MSF, then the MSF will provide you with a referral.  Each family must decide for itself whether or not it will be able to meet the needs of and provide a permanent home for a particular child. 

The child must be eligible to be adopted according to Singapore’s requirements, as described in the Who Can Be Adopted section.  The child must also meet the definition of orphan under U.S. immigration law.

5.  Adopt Child in Singapore

The process for finalizing the adoption in Singapore generally includes the following:

  • Role of Adoption Authority:  The MSF safeguards the best interests of the child and ensures strict compliance with the Adoption of Children Act.
  • Role of the Court:  The Family Court grants the Adoption Order if it is satisfied that the requirements of the Adoption of Children Act have been met and that adoption is in the child’s best interests.
  • Role of Adoption Agencies:  The MSF does not accredit or regulate adoption agencies.  The MSF does, however, designate specific voluntary welfare organizations to provide Home Study Reports, when required, and the compulsory PAB. 
  • Adoption Application:  Prospective adoptive parents petition the Family Court for adoption of the child.  This can be done through an attorney or in person.  The Family Court will then appoint the Director of Social Welfare, MSF, as the child’s temporary guardian.  The MSF then conducts an investigation regarding the status and circumstances of the child and prospective adoptive parents and prepares an affidavit and investigation report for the Court.  Finally, the Court schedules a hearing and then may grant the Adoption Order.  If it does so, the Court will also inform the relevant Singaporean authorities to issue a new birth certificate for the child.

Home Study Reports are only required before initiating an adoption when the adoptive child is non-Singaporean, in MSF care, or from Project Cherub.  The Home Study Report is an assessment of a family's readiness to care for an adopted child, bearing in mind the child’s best interests and the appropriateness of the prospective home.  The Home Study Report is also designed to help prospective parents prepare for the adoption process and subsequent raising of an adopted child.  It must be performed by an agency accredited by the MSF and takes approximately five weeks to complete.  The process typically includes a series of home visits and interviews with relevant family members and friends.  The current fee for a Home Study Report is up to U.S. $1,200 and is subject to change.  Persons wishing to adopt a Singaporean child can contact an organization accredited by the MSF to complete their home study report.  More detailed information on Home Study Reports is available through the MSF.

Given the requirement that prospective adoptive parents must be resident in Singapore, a Home Study Report must be performed in Singapore.  A home study performed in the United States is not likely to be considered in support of an adoption in Singapore.

  • Time Frame:  In a case with no complications (e.g., no documents need to be checked, a Home Study Report has been completed, etc.), an adoption of a Singaporean child in Singapore can generally be finalized within five to seven months from the date of application to the date of approval by the Court.  

After the child is legally adopted in Singapore and after USCIS has approved the Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative, the U.S. Embassy in Singapore can process the immigrant visa application in an average of two to three months, depending upon the circumstances of the case.

  • Adoption Fees:  Local lawyers’ fees, if applicable, vary.  Although the prospective adoptive parents will not pay any fees directly to the Court, the lawyer's fee should include Court costs.  In addition, prospective adoptive parents will pay approximately U.S. $1,200 for a Home Study Report performed by an organization accredited by the MSF.

Singaporean society is virtually corruption-free and “additional” or “hidden” fees are not likely to be encountered in the adoption process.  Furthermore, it is illegal for a person relinquishing a child for adoption to ask for or receive monetary payment in exchange for the child.  It is also illegal for prospective adoptive parents to make any monetary payment to adopt a child, unless it is approved by the Court.

  • Documents Required:  Prospective adoptive parents are required to submit the following documents at the Family Court Registry at the beginning of the process:  
    • Originating Summons for Adoption (OSA), Adoption Statement, and affidavit in support of OSA filed through the Court’s electronic filing system;
    • the original notarized consent of the birth parents/guardian (together with the original translation if the consent is not in English);
    • the original notarized  consent of the parent or guardian of the birth parent of the child if the birth parent is under 21 years of age (together with the original translation if the consent is not in English);
    • the child’s original birth certificate (together with the original translation if the birth certificate is not in English);
    • an affidavit endorsing the child's Dependants' Pass if the child is not a Singapore citizen or permanent resident;
    • certified, true copies of the petitioners' work permits/employment passes/Dependants' Passes if the petitioners are not Singapore citizens or permanent residents;
    • the petitioners’ original marriage certificate (together with the original translation if the marriage certificate is not in English);
    • two copies of the Application for Dispensation of Consent and supporting affidavit to dispense with the consent of the birth parents and/or service of documents on the birth parents, if such consent cannot be obtained; and
    • a copy of the death certificate of a birth parent(if applicable).
  • Authentication of Documents:  Singapore is not a party to to the Hague Apostille Convention.  Information concerning the authentication of U.S. public documents for use in Singapore may be found on the website of the Embassy of Singapore.

For additional, detailed information on the Singaporean adoption process, please see Adoption-Ministry of Social and Family Development and Adoption in Singapore Court.

6.  Apply for the Child to be Found Eligible for Orphan Status

After you finalize the adoption in Singapore, the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services must determine whether the child meets the definition of orphan under U.S. immigration law.  You will need to file a Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative.

Forms I-600A and I-600 may be filed at the Immigrant Visa Unit, Consular Section, of the U.S. Embassy in Singapore.  The Embassy accepts petitions from prospective adoptive parents who are resident in Singapore on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays between 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.  Filing fees are payable in cash or by major credit card.  Please note that if Form I-600A is filed with the embassy, the embassy will forward it to the USCIS office having jurisdiction over the prospective adoptive parents’ current place of residence for adjudication.

Forms I-600A and I-600 must be accompanied by original civil documents and two sets of photocopies.  The documents required are:

  • original passports for all adult family members of the household, including domestic help;
  • birth certificates, marriage certificate, divorce certificate (if applicable), and;
  • home study report approved by a licensed U.S. adoption agency.

An appointment to fingerprint all adult family members will be given when the Forms I-600A/I-600 are filed.

7.  Bring Your Child Home

Once your adoption is complete, you need to apply for several documents for your child before you can apply for a U.S. immigrant visa to bring your child home to the United States:

Birth Certificate
If the Family Court grants the Adoption Order, the Family Court will inform the Registry of Births & Deaths, Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) for the issuance of a new Birth Certificate for the child. You or your lawyer will receive a letter from ICA to collect the Birth Certificate.

Singapore Passport
Your child is not yet a U.S. citizen, so he/she will need a travel document or passport from Singapore.

Please refer to information on Singapore Immigration and Checkpoint Authority’s website on how to apply for a passport for your Singaporean child.

U.S. Immigrant Visa
After you obtain the new birth certificate and passport for your child and after you have filed Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative, you then need to apply for a U.S. immigrant visa for your child from the U.S. Embassy in Singapore.  This immigrant visa allows your child to travel home with you.  As part of this process, the Consular Officer must be provided with the Panel Physician’s medical report on the child.

You can find instructions for applying for an immigrant visa on the U.S. Embassy in Singapore’s website.

Traveling Abroad

Applying for Your U.S. Passport
U.S. citizens are required by law to enter and depart the United States on a valid U.S. passport. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. passports.

Getting or renewing a passport is easy.  The Passport Application Wizard will help you determine which passport form you need, help you to complete the form online, estimate your payment, and generate the form for you to print—all in one place.

Obtaining a Visa to Travel to Singapore
In addition to a U.S. passport, you may also need to obtain a visa.  A visa is an official document issued by a foreign country that formally allows you to visit.  Where required, visas are affixed to your passport and allow you to enter a foreign nation.  To find information about obtaining a visa for Singapore, see the Department of State’s Singapore Specific Information.

Staying Safe on Your Trip
Before you travel, it is always a good practice to investigate the local conditions, laws, political landscape, and culture of the country.  The Department of State provides Country Specific Information for every country of the world about various issues, including the health conditions, crime, unusual currency or entry requirements, and any areas of instability.

Staying in Touch on Your Trip
When traveling during the adoption process, we encourage you to enroll with the Department of State.  Enrollment makes it possible to contact you if necessary.  Whether there is a family emergency in the United States or a crisis in Singapore, enrollment assists the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in reaching you.

Enrollment is free and can be done online via the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).

After Adoption

Post-Adoption/Post-Placement Reporting Requirements]

Singapore does not have post-adoption/post-placement reporting requirements, though adoptive parents are encouraged to participate in Singapore’s pre- and post-adoption programs to help them prepare for and transition to their new parenting roles and ensure the continued well-being of the adopted child.  Prospective adoptive parents may wish to visit the individual websites of agencies accredited by MSF for information on any available programs.

If adopting a child from China in Singapore, China’s post-adoption reporting requirements may apply.  Please refer to the information on MSF’s website regarding adoptions of children from China in Singapore.

Post-Adoption Resources
Many adoptive parents find it important to find support after the adoption.  There are many public and private nonprofit post-adoption services available for children and their families. There are also numerous adoptive family support groups and adoptee organizations active in the United States that provide a network of options for adoptees who seek out other adoptees from the same country of origin.  Take advantage of all the resources available to your family, whether it is another adoptive family, a support group, an advocacy organization, or your religious or community organizations.

Here are some places to start your support group search:

Note:  Inclusion of non-U.S. government links does not imply endorsement of contents.

Child Citizenship Act

For adoptions finalized abroad prior to the child’s entry into the United States:  A child will acquire U.S. citizenship upon entry into the United States if the adoption was finalized prior to entry and the child otherwise meets the requirements of the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.

For adoptions finalized after the child’s entry into the United States:  An adoption will need to be completed following your child’s entry into the United States for the child to acquire U.S. citizenship.

*Please be aware that if your child did not qualify to become a citizen upon entry to the United States, it is very important that you take the steps necessary so that your child does qualify as soon as possible.  Failure to obtain citizenship for your child can impact many areas of his/her life including family travel, eligibility for education and education grants, and voting.

Read more about the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.

Contact Information

U.S. Embassy in Singapore
Embassy of the United States
27 Napier Road
Singapore 258508
Tel:  011-65-6476-9100
Fax:  011-65-6476-9232
Email:  SingaporeCON@state.gov (Attn: IV Unit)

Singapore’s Adoption Authority
Ministry of Social and Family Development
Adoption Services
512A Thomson Road
#02-01/09 SLF Podium
Singapore 298137
Tel:  6355-6388
Fax:  6258-4823
Email:  msf_adoption@msf.gov.sg
Website:  www.adoption.gov.sg  

Embassy of Singapore
3501 International Place, N.W.
Washington D.C.  20008
Tel:  (202) 537-3100
Fax:  (202) 537-0876
Email:  singemb_con_was@sgmfa.gov.sg
Internet:  Embassy of Singapore in Washington, D.C.

Singapore also has Consulates in New York, San Francisco, Chicago, and Miami.

Office of Children’s Issues
U.S. Department of State
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Tel:  1-888-407-4747
Email:  AskCI@state.gov
Internet:  adoption.state.gov

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
For questions about immigration procedures:
National Customer Service Center (NCSC)
Tel:  1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833)
Internet:  uscis.gov

For questions about filing a Form I-600A or I-600 petition:
National Benefits Center
Tel: 1-877-424-8374 (toll free); 1-816-251-2770 (local)
Email:  NBC.Adoptions@DHS.gov

Reciprocity Schedule

Select a visa category below to find the visa issuance fee, number of entries, and validity period for visas issued to applicants from this country*/area of authority.

Explanation of Terms

Visa Classification: The type of nonimmigrant visa you are applying for.

Fee: The reciprocity fee, also known as the visa issuance fee, you must pay. This fee is in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee (MRV fee).

Number of Entries: The number of times you may seek entry into the United States with that visa. "M" means multiple times. If there is a number, such as "One", you may apply for entry one time with that visa.

Validity Period: This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used, from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel with that visa. If your Validity Period is 60 months, your visa will be valid for 60 months from the date it is issued.

Visa Classifications
Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 60 Months
A-2 None Multiple 60 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 24 Months
B-1 None Multiple 120 Months
B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
C-1 None Multiple 60 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 60 Months
C-2 None Multiple 12 Months
C-3 None Multiple 60 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 60 Months
E-1 2 None Multiple 24 Months
E-2 2 None Multiple 24 Months
E-2C 12 None Multiple 24 Months
F-1 None Multiple 60 Months
F-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-1 None Multiple 60 Months
G-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-3 None Multiple 60 Months
G-4 None Multiple 60 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 24 Months
H-1B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-1B1 None Multiple 18 Months
H-1C None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2A None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2R None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
I None Multiple 60 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 60 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 60 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Multiple 60 Months
L-2 None Multiple 60 Months
M-1 None Multiple 60 Months
M-2 None Multiple 60 Months
N-8 None Multiple 60 Months
N-9 None Multiple 60 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 15 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 60 Months
R-2 None Multiple 60 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 60 Months
V-2 None Multiple 60 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 60 Months 8
Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes
  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents

Please check back for update.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates

Birth and Death Certificates

Available. Obtained from the Registry of Births and Deaths at 10 Kallang Road, ICA Building, Singapore 208718, phone number 65-6391-6100. For further information, please check http://www.ica.gov.sg.

Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Marriage Certificates

Available. Obtained from the Registrar, Registry of Marriage at 7 Canning Rise, Singapore 179869, phone number 65-6338-9987/65-6338-7808. For further information, please see http://www.romm.gov.sg.

Divorce Certificates

Available. For further information, please see http://www.supcourt.gov.sg.

Adoption Certificates

Please check back for update.

Identity Card

Please check back for update.

Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Certificates


Available: Yes

Fees: Processing fee is S$55.00 per application. Payment can be made by credit cards (VISA/MASTERCARD) or internet banking. In addition to the processing fee, a postage fee of S$5.00 must be included in the payment (total S$60.00) if the COC is to be mailed. Payment is non- refundable once the application is accepted.

Document Name:  Certificate of Clearance

Issuing Authority: Singapore Police Force

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: N/A

Issuing Authority Personnel Title: N/A

Registration Criteria: All applicants must complete an online application on the Singapore Police Force eServices website and submit the application with the necessary supporting documents:

  • A set of applicant’s fingerprint impressions (ten prints). Applicants applying in Singapore will need to book their fingerprinting appointment though the Singapore Police Force eServices website. For application by post from overseas, the applicant must submit a set of his/her fingerprint impressions taken by a qualified Fingerprint Officer at a Police Station or an authorized office of the country he/she is now residing.
  • A photocopy of applicant’s valid passport (showing biodata page).
  • Two recent photographs measuring 3.5cm by 4.5cm.
  • Photocopy of document from relevant consulate/immigration authority/government bodies or other requestor to establish that the certificate is required by such authority and that a statutory declaration of no criminal conviction by the applicant is not acceptable as evidence that s/he has no criminal convictions. All documents are to be translated into English if written in other languages.

Procedure for Obtaining:

For all applicants, a form letter from the requesting/processing office (NVC, KCC, Embassy, employer  etc.)  is required to obtain a Certificate of Clearance (COC).  Such letter should specify the need for the clearance and state explicitly that "a statutory declaration of no criminal conviction by the applicant is not acceptable as evidence that he/she does not have criminal convictions".   The COC will be sent directly to the requesting/processing office.

Applicants should apply for the Certificate of Clearance online via the Singapore Police Force eServices website at: http://www.police.gov.sg/e-services/apply/certificate-of-clearance. Applicants will also be able to make payment and book for fingerprinting appointment through the eService website.

Processing time for each application is between 10 to 15 working days.

Certified Copies Available: N/A

Alternate Documents: N/A

Exceptions: The police records for Singapore may be considered complete from their origins to the present, except for the "occupation" period during World War II.


Non-Singapore citizens requesting a Certificate of Clearance must also submit a copy of this letter after adding the names of the principal and dependent applicants as indicated, along with the checklist letter from NVC.

Please refer to http://www.police.gov.sg/e-services/apply/certificate-of-clearance for further information and updates on Certificate of Clearance from Singapore.  

Prison Records

Available. Obrtained from the Director of Prisons, Prison Headquarters at 407 Upper Changi Road North 20 Km, phone number 65-6546-9359. For further information, please check http://www.sps.gov.sg/.

Court Records

Available. Please refer to http://www.supcourt.gov.sg or https://www.statecourts.gov.sg/Pages/default.aspx.

Military Records

Available. All male Singaporeans or male permanent residents of Singapore who have served in the military should have a 'Certificate of Conduct' or 'Certificate of Service.' This certificate is obtained from the branch in which the applicant served. Please check the Ministry of Defence's website http://www.mindef.gov.sg for links to the Army/Navy/Air force. You may also contact the Army at 65-6373-3238, Navy at 65-6373-1239, or Air force at 65-6768-3040 for assistance.

Note: An administrative fee is usually charged to obtain most documents. Applicants should check directly with the issuing authority for the latest information on fees.

Passports & Other Travel Documents

Please check back for update.

Other Records

Not applicable

Visa Issuing Posts

Singapore (Embassy)

Mailing Address:
FPO AP 96507

Street Address:
27 Napier Road
Singapore 258508

Tel: (65) 6476-9100 (65) 6476-9100 - After hour emergencies.

Fax: (Consular) (65) 6476-9232

Visa Services

All visa categories for all of Singapore.


Foreign Consular Office Contact Information

Washington, DC (202) 537-3100 (202) 537-0876

New York, NY (212) 223-3331 (212) 826-5028

San Francisco, CA (415) 543-4775 (415) 543-4788

Assistance for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Embassy Singapore
27 Napier Road
Singapore 258508
+(65) 6476-9100
+(65) 6476-9100
+(65) 6476-9232
Singapore Map

Search for Travel Advisories
Additional Information for Reciprocity

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.