Travel Advisories


Travel Advisories

Seychelles Travel Advisory

Travel Advisory
January 10, 2018
Seychelles - Level 1: Exercise Normal Precautions

Exercise normal precautions in Seychelles.

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.

If you decide to travel to Seychelles:

Travel Advisory Levels
1 Exercise normal precautions, 2 Exercise increased caution, 3 Reconsider travel, 4 Do not travel

Republic of Seychelles
Quick Facts

Duration of stay


1 blank page required


No, visitor permits granted upon arrival



Yellow fever, if traveling from a yellow fever endemic country


Amounts above US $10,000


Amounts above US $10,000

Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Port Louis
4th Floor, Rogers House
John Kennedy Street
Port Louis, Mauritius
Telephone: +(230) 202-4400
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(230) 5253 3641
Fax: +(230) 208-9534

U.S. Consular Agency Seychelles
Suite 23, 2nd floor, Oliaji Trade Centre
Victoria, Seychelles
Telephone:+(248) 422-5256
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(230) 5253-3641 OR +(248) 2 515 256
Fax: +(248) 422-5189

Destination Description

See our Fact Sheet on Seychelles for information on U.S. - Seychelles relations.

Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

Requirements for Entry:

  • Passport
  • Visitor's Permit
  • Onward/return ticket
  • Sufficient funds and confirmed accommodation

Visas:  Seychelles is a visa-free country but a visitor’s permit may be obtained upon arrival if you meet certain criteria and can show:

  • a valid return or onward ticket for duration of the visit;
  • confirmed accommodation, OR invitation letter, if staying with friends or relatives; and
  • sufficient funds for duration of the stay

Visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for the Republic of Seychelles website for the most current entry information.

Customs: Prohibited items and those items requiring permits include:  

  • pharmaceuticals
  • tobacco
  • alcohol
  • radio equipment
  • any fruits or vegetables

See the Seychelles Revenue Commission web page for further information.

Find information on dual nationalityprevention of international child abduction, and customs regulations on our websites.

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors on short-term stays in Seychelles. Expatriate workers with HIV/AIDS are subject to screenings and are required to regularly report to the Ministry of Health for treatment throughout the duration of residence in Seychelles.

Safety and Security


  • Keep valuables locked in hotel room safe.
  • Be aware of surroundings, especially at night.
  • Avoid demonstrations and large gatherings. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.
  • Never swim or snorkel alone.
  • Be aware of currents, rip tides, and tide levels as they can change seasonally and/or instantaneously.
  • Be alert while driving, especially at night, as there are minimal street lights.
  • Follow the instructions of local authorities, monitor local news broadcasts, and consular messages.
  • Leave a copy of your identification, travel documents, and an itinerary with the hotel reception desk when you go on maritime or mountain hiking excursions to assist the coast guard and police in the event of a problem.

Piracy: Attacks have occurred in coastal waters surrounding the outer islands and, in some cases, farther out at sea. See MARAD’s page for advisories.

Marine hazards: Do not fish, swim, or snorkel alone. Always seek expert local advice about which areas are deemed safe for swimming, as this can differ based on seasonal weather patterns and time of day. Most beaches do not have a regular lifeguard presence. Two fatal shark attacks occurred in 2011 at Anse Lazio beach on the island of Praslin.  Sharks are regularly spotted.

The most prevalent marine hazards are:

  • Strong/rip currents, even in waters that may appear calm from shore
  • Injury due to sharp corals or other reef organisms, such as stonefish, which can be fatal if not treated right away

Crime: Muggings and petty crime such as purse snatching and pickpocketing are reportedly on the increase and can be a problem especially in and around tourist facilities and ATMs. Theft from vehicles and on beaches or walking trails occurs in areas frequented by foreigners.

  • Exercise caution especially at night.
  • Avoid walking alone, especially in poorly lit or deserted areas. 
  • Do not display cash and valuable personal property.
  • Keep your travel documents and valuables in the hotel safe. Make sure your hotel room is well secured, including windows.
  • Do not leave bags unattended on the beach or in plain sight inside vehicles

See the Department of State and the FBI pages for information on scams.

Victims of Crime: Report crimes to the local police (Dial 999) and contact the U.S. Embassy at (+230) 202-4400, during business hours or for after hours emergencies:  +(230) 5253 3641

Dial 999 to contact the police in an emergency throughout the Seychelles and for ambulance service on the islands of Mahe, Praslin, and La Digue. Waiting times can vary considerably based on location.

U.S. citizen victims of sexual assault should first contact the U.S. Embassy and the Police. Local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting crime.

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • Replace a stolen or lost passport
  • Help you find appropriate medical care
  • Assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • Contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • Explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • Provide a list of local attorneys
  • Provide our information on victim’s compensation programs in the U.S.
  • Provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical
  • Support in cases of destitution
  • Help you find accommodation and arrange flights home

Domestic Violence: U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the Embassy and/or the Consular Agency for assistance. Domestic abuse, both in terms of sexual and physical violence, is feared to be a much larger problem than what is reported to authorities, largely due to stigma in small island communities. Often, abuse can be perpetrated with little regard or fear for legal repercussions, due to a lack of investigatory and legal resources with which authorities are able to prosecute such cases.

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned.  Convictions for possessing, using, or trafficking in illegal drugs result in long jail sentences and heavy fines. You may have difficulties at immigration if you are traveling with military clothing or arms/ammunition. Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the U.S., regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consular Agency immediately. See our webpage for further information.

Beach wear: Topless sunbathing is generally acceptable but only on beaches, and nudism is not permitted.

Phone Service: Cellular phones are in widespread use on the main islands, and service is generally adequate, though there are coverage gaps in some remote areas. Local SIM cards can be purchased by tourists to use with a compatible cell phone.

Currency: The Seychellois Rupee (SCR) is the currency of the Seychelles.  In some instances, tourists can pay for goods and services in U.S. dollars or other hard currency. ATMs are available at the international airport and around the major tourist destinations of Mahe, Praslin and La Digue, but they dispense only Seychellois Rupees. Credit cards are not necessarily widely accepted outside of resorts. Gas stations and smaller, more remote outlets usually only accept cash.

Faith-Based Travelers: See our following webpages for details:

LGBTI Travelers: While consensual same sex relations are legal in the Seychelles, LGBTI persons have reported instances of discrimination. See our LGBTI Travel Information page and section 6 of our Human Rights report for further details.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance: Persons with disabilities face limited access to transportation, accommodations, and public buildings. There are few sidewalks and no curb-cuts. Most buildings lack functioning elevators.

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Women Travelers: See our travel tips for Women Travelers.


Consult the CDC website for the Seychelles prior to travel.

Medical facilities are limited, especially on the isolated islands where doctors are often unavailable. There is one main government-run hospital and several localized district clinics on the three main islands. A number of private doctors operate their own practices, and there is also one private surgical hospital on the main island of Mahé. The main hospital, including accident and emergency services, is in Victoria (telephone: + 248 -4388-000).


  • Carry prescription medication in original packaging, along with your doctor’s prescription.
  • Bring sun screen, insect repellents, and over-the-counter-medications with you as local supplies are erratic and expensive.
  • Be sure to verify with Seychelles Customs that your medications are legal before you travel.

You are responsible for all medical costs. U.S. Medicare does not cover you overseas. All care providers expect payment in Seychellois Rupees. Although government clinics are free for Seychellois citizens, fees are charged for visitors.

Medical Insurance: If your health insurance plan does not provide coverage overseas, we strongly recommend supplemental medical insurance and medical evacuation plans.

The following diseases are present or recur periodically:

Please note that passengers may be quarantined during seasonal plague outbreaks IF you are travelling from plague-infected countries.

HIV/AIDS: There are growing concerns about the occurrence of HIV/Aids among the population, especially in tandem with an increase in intravenous drug use.

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Further health information:


Travel and Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety: Driving is only practical on the islands of Mahé and Praslin. Roads on both islands are narrow and wind steeply over mountains, often with sheer drops and hairpin bends. Many roads are not well-maintained, have minimal lighting, and many drivers do not necessarily adhere to traffic regulations. Traffic safety is hazardous due to a lack of safety barriers and inadequate street lighting. Avoid remote roads, particularly at night. Drunk-driving is a problem, so be particularly aware of other road users who may behave recklessly.

Traffic Laws: You will need an international driving permit to drive in the Seychelles.  Traffic drives on the left. Drivers and front-seat passengers are required to wear seatbelts. Car rentals are available. Most car rental companies will include an excess as part of the rental fee, which will cover a certain amount of damage. It is advisable to clarify this with your car rental company, as it may be possible to purchase higher excess amounts. You may not be able to purchase short-term car insurance with local insurance companies.

Accidents: In the event of an automobile accident, remain at the scene until the police arrive.

Public Transportation:

Buses: Services are infrequent on some routes, tend to be crowded during rush hours, and may require a transfer. On the islands of Mahé and Praslin, buses operate from early morning to early evening. A timetable is available from the bus station in Victoria.

Taxis: Negotiate the fare before beginning your journey. Some taxis are not metered, so confirm with your hotel about fares you should expect on trips.

Ferry/Water Transport: Most of the inner islands are accessible by boat or ferry; there are also a number of day trips available to tourists. Check that there is sufficient safety equipment including life jackets and ship to shore radio. Travel by ship to the outer islands including the Amirantes, Cosmoledo and Aldabra groups requires prior approval from the Seychelles Maritime Safety Authority.

See our Road Safety page for more information. Visit the website of Seychelles’ national tourist office and national authority responsible for road safety.

Aviation Safety Oversight: As there is no direct commercial air service to the United States by carriers registered in Seychelles, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has not assessed the government of Seychelles’ Civil Aviation Authority for compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards.  Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page.

Maritime Travel: Mariners planning travel to Seychelles should also check for U.S. maritime advisories and alerts at  Information may also be posted to the  U.S. Coast Guard homeport website (, and the NGA broadcast warnings website select “broadcast warnings.”

Hague Convention Participation
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention?
enter text here
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention?
enter text here
Learn why the Hague Abduction Convention Matters.
What You Can Do
Learn how to respond to abductions FROM the US
Learn how to respond to abductions TO the US
Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Port Louis
4th Floor, Rogers House
John Kennedy Street
Port Louis, Mauritius
Telephone: +(230) 202-4400
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(230) 5253 3641
Fax: +(230) 208-9534

U.S. Consular Agency Seychelles
Suite 23, 2nd floor, Oliaji Trade Centre
Victoria, Seychelles
Telephone:+(248) 422-5256
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(230) 5253-3641 OR +(248) 2 515 256
Fax: +(248) 422-5189

General Information
enter link here
Hague Abduction Convention
enter text here
enter text here
enter text here
Retaining an Attorney
enter text here
enter text here

Exercising Custody Rights

While travelling in a foreign country, you are subject to the laws of that country. It is important for parents to understand that, although a left-behind parent in the United States may have custody or visitation rights pursuant to a U.S. custody order, that order may not be valid and enforceable in the country in which the child is located.  For this reason, we strongly encourage you to speak to a local attorney if planning to remove a child from a foreign country without the consent of the other parent.  Attempts to remove your child to the United States may:

  • Endanger your child and others;
  • Prejudice any future judicial efforts; and
  • Could result in your arrest and imprisonment.

The U.S. government cannot interfere with another country’s court or law enforcement system.

To understand the legal effect of a U.S. order in a foreign country, a parent should consult with a local attorney in the country in which the child is located.  

For information about hiring an attorney abroad, see our section on Retaining a Foreign Attorney. 

Although we cannot recommend an attorney to you, most U.S. Embassies have lists of attorneys available online. Please visit the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate website for a full listing.

For more information on consular assistance for U.S. citizens arrested abroad, please see our website.

Country officers are available to speak with you Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  For assistance with an abduction in progress or any emergency situation that occurs after normal business hours, on weekends, or federal holidays, please call toll free at 1-888-407-4747. See all contact information.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this flyer is provided for general information only, is not intended to be legal advice, and may change without notice. Questions involving interpretation of law should be addressed to an attorney licensed in the relevant jurisdiction. 


Hague Convention Participation
Hague Adoption Convention Country?
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

The Republic of the Seychelles is party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention). Intercountry adoption processing in Hague countries is done in accordance with the requirements of the Convention; the U.S. implementing legislation, the Intercountry Adoption Act of 2000 (IAA); and the IAA’s implementing regulations, as well as the implementing legislation and regulations of the Republic of the Seychelles.

Below is the limited adoption information that the Department has obtained from the adoption authority of the Republic of the Seychelles. U.S. citizens interested in adopting children from the Republic of the Seychelles should contact the Central Authority of the Republic of the Seychelles to inquire about applicable laws and procedures. U.S. citizen prospective adoptive parents living in the Republic of the Seychelles who would like to adopt a child from the United States or from a third country should also contact the Republic of the Seychelles’ Central Authority. See contact information below.

The Convention entered into force with respect to the Seychelles in October 2008. However, the Government of the Republic of the Seychelles has informed the U.S. Embassy in Port Louis that it is in the process of amending its laws in order to fully implement the Hague Adoption Convention. The Department will be gathering information on how these changes will impact intercountry adoptions between the United States and the Republic of the Seychelles. U.S. prospective adoptive parents who wish to adopt from the Republic of the Seychelles may encounter delays during this transition.

Please visit the Department’s Country Specific Information for more information on travelling to the Republic of the Seychelles and the U.S. Embassy in Port Louis website for information on consular services. There is no U.S. Embassy in the Republic of the Seychelles; however, the U.S. Ambassador to Mauritius is also accredited to the Republic of the Seychelles.

Who Can Adopt
enter text here
Who Can Be Adopted
enter text here
How to Adopt
enter text here
Traveling Abroad
enter text here
After Adoption
enter text here
Contact Information

The Republic of the Seychelles' Adoption Authority
Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment
Social Services Section
Oceangate House
P O Box 190

Reciprocity Schedule

Select a visa category below to find the visa issuance fee, number of entries, and validity period for visas issued to applicants from this country*/area of authority.

Explanation of Terms

Visa Classification: The type of nonimmigrant visa you are applying for.

Fee: The reciprocity fee, also known as the visa issuance fee, you must pay. This fee is in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee (MRV fee).

Number of Entries: The number of times you may seek entry into the United States with that visa. "M" means multiple times. If there is a number, such as "One", you may apply for entry one time with that visa.

Validity Period: This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used, from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel with that visa. If your Validity Period is 60 months, your visa will be valid for 60 months from the date it is issued.

Visa Classifications
Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 60 Months
A-2 None Multiple 60 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 24 Months
B-1 None Multiple 120 Months
B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
C-1 None Multiple 60 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 60 Months
C-2 None Multiple 12 Months
C-3 None Multiple 60 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 60 Months
E-1 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2C 12 None Multiple 24 Months
F-1 None Multiple 60 Months
F-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-1 None Multiple 60 Months
G-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-3 None Multiple 60 Months
G-4 None Multiple 60 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 24 Months
H-1B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-1C None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2A None N/A N/A 3
H-2B None N/A N/A 3
H-2R None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
I None Multiple 60 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 60 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 60 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Multiple 60 Months
L-2 None Multiple 60 Months
M-1 None Multiple 60 Months
M-2 None Multiple 60 Months
N-8 None Multiple 60 Months
N-9 None Multiple 60 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 15 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 60 Months
R-2 None Multiple 60 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 60 Months
V-2 None Multiple 60 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 60 Months 8
Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes
  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents

Please check back for update

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates

Available from the Chief Civil Status Officer, Victoria, Mahe.

Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Marriage Certificates

Marriage certificates are available from the Civil Status Office located in Independence House, Victoria, Mahe. Tel: (248) 4 29 36 04; Fax: (248) 4 32 10 46; Email: Proof of identity is required. Cost per copy is 50 Seychelles Rupees.

The Seychelles' Government has no provision in its law for same sex marriage.

Divorce Certificates

Available from the Registrar of the Supreme Court, Victoria, Mahe.

Adoption Certificates

Please check back for update

Identity Card

Please check back for update

Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Records/Character Certificates

In lieu of a police certificate, a "character certificate" is obtainable upon application at the Central Police Station, Revolution Avenue, Victoria, Mahe. Processing time: 8 days. No fee is charged.

Prison Records

Available from the Superintendent of Prisons, Victoria, Mahe.

Available. All ex-soldiers are supplied with either a Service Book or a Final Certificate of Discharge. If lost, duplicates will not be issued but a statement of record of service is available from East Africa Command Headquarters, Nairobi, Kenya.

Military Records

Please check back for update

Passports & Other Travel Documents

Please check back for update

Other Records

Not applicable.

Visa Issuing Posts
Visa Services

Nonimmigrant visa applications for nationals of the Seychelles are processed at the U.S. Embassy in Port Louis, Mauritius.

Immigrant visa applications for nationals of the Seychelles are processed at the U.S. Embassy in Johannesburg, South Africa.

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information

New York, NY (212) 972-1785 (212) 972-1786

Assistance for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Embassy Port Louis
4th Floor, Rogers House
John Kennedy Street
Port Louis, Mauritius
+(230) 202-4400
+(230) 5253 3641
+(230) 208-9534
Seychelles Map

Search for Travel Advisories
Additional Information for Reciprocity

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.