Travel Advisories


Travel Advisories

Poland Travel Advisory

Travel Advisory
January 10, 2018
Poland – Level 1: Exercise normal precautions

Exercise normal precautions in Poland. 

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.

If you decide to travel to Poland:

Travel Advisory Levels
1 Exercise normal precautions, 2 Exercise increased caution, 3 Reconsider travel, 4 Do not travel

Republic of Poland
Quick Facts

Six months remaining validity strongly recommended; at least three months remaining validity beyond planned departure from the Schengen area is required.




Not required for stays under 90 days




Amounts over 10,000 euros or equivalent must be declared at customs.


Amounts over 10,000 euros or equivalent must be declared at customs.

Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Warsaw

Aleje Ujazdowskie 29/31
00-540 Warsaw, Poland
+48 (22) 504-2000
American Citizen Services: +48 (22) 504-2784
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +48 (22) 504-2000
Fax: +(48) (22) 504-2088


U.S. Consulate General Krakow
Ulica Stolarska 9,
31-043 Kraków, Poland
+48 (12) 424-5129
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +48 (60) 148-3348
Fax: +(48) (12) 424-5103

U.S. Consular Agent - Poznan
Ulica Paderewskiego 8,
61-770 Poznan
+(48) (61) 851-8516
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(48) (22) 504-2000
Fax: +(48) (61) 851-8966

Destination Description

See the Department of State’s Fact Sheet on Poland for information on U.S.–Poland relations.

Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

Poland is a party to the Schengen Agreement. This means that U.S. citizens may enter Poland for up to 90 days for tourist or business purposes with out a visa. Your passport should be valid for at least three months for the period of stay. You need sufficient funds and a return airline ticket.. For additional details about travel into and within Schengen countries, please see our Schengen fact sheet.

  • U.S. Passports must have at least three months remaining validity beyond your date of planned departure from the Poland.  If you travel to and from Poland to other Schengen countries you should have at least six months remaining validity on you U.S. passport beyond departure from the Schengen area. Air travelers to Poland may be denied boarding if their passports lack this remaining validity.
  • Polish citizens (including U.S.-Polish dual nationals or those with claims to Polish citizenship) must enter and depart Poland using a Polish passport.
  • You need a visa for stays longer than 90 days or to work or study in Poland.
  • Non-EU visitors must obtain a stamp in their passport upon initial entry into a Schengen country in order to depart the Schengen area without difficulty.

For further information on entry requirements and current visa information, please contact the consular section of the Embassy of Poland, 2224 Wyoming Avenue, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20008, (202) 499-1700, or a Polish consulate in Chicago, Los Angeles, or New York.

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Poland.

Find information on dual nationality, prevention of international child abduction, and Customs Information on our websites.

Safety and Security

Credible information indicates terrorist groups continue plotting possible attacks in Europe. European governments are taking action to guard against terrorist attacks, but all European countries remain potentially vulnerable to attacks from transnational terrorist organizations.

We urge U.S. citizens to avoid all demonstrations. Public demonstrations on a variety of political and economic issues are common in Poland. U.S. Citizens should monitor local media coverage, review their personal security practices, and be aware of their surroundings at all times. Even peaceful demonstrations can escalate into violence with little or no notice. Travel Advisory and Security alerts can be found on the U.S. Mission to Poland’s website.

Crime: Poland has a low crime rate overall, with major cities showing the highest rates of crime domestically.

  • Safeguard your belongings in public areas. Thieves and pick-pockets operate at major tourist destinations, railroad stations, on trains (particularly overnight trains), trams, and buses. Report incidents of theft to the police.
  • Do not leave valuables in plain sight inside vehicles.
  • If someone indicates you should pull over or signals that something is wrong with your car continue driving until you reach a safe spot (a crowded gas station, supermarket, or a police station) to inspect your vehicle.
  • Only change money at banks or legitimate exchange kiosks (kantor). ATMs at commercial banks, large hotels, shopping malls, and airports are safest.
  • While casinos and gaming establishments are government-regulated, some are affiliated with, or have attracted the interest of organized crime.
  • Avoid adult entertainment venues. In the past such establishments have presented foreign customers with inflated bills and threatened those who refuse to pay.
  • Travel in a group, especially after dark, to nightclubs, discos, bars, or high-tourism areas, such as the Market Square in Krakow and Old Town in Warsaw.

See the Department of State and the FBI pages for information on scams.

Victims of Crime:

U.S citizens of sexual assault should contact first the U.S. Embassy. Report crimes to the local police by calling 112 (multilingual emergency dispatch centers serving Poland and EU countries), and contact the U.S. Embassy at +48 (22) 504-2000. Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting crimes.

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • Provide a list of health care providers in Poland
  • Assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • Contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • Explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • Provide a list of local attorneys
  • Provide information on victim’s compensation programs in the United States
  • A list of organizations providing assistance programs for victims of crimes in Poland is available at the website of the Ministy of Justice: Assistance to Victims of Crime
  • Provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support
  • Help you find accommodation and arrange flights home
  • Replace a stolen or lost passport

Domestic Violence: U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the U.S. Embassy for assistance.

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned. A U.S. passport will not help you avoid arrest or prosecution.

Furthermore, some crimes are also prosecutable in the U. S., regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately - particularly if you are a dual U.S.-Polish national. While a person holding Polish and U.S. citizenship is deemed by Poland to be a Polish citizen, you still may ask to see a U.S. consular officer. See our webpage for further information.

Special Circumstances: Polish Customs enforce strict regulations concerning the export of items such as works of art. Contact the Polish Embassy in Washington, D.C., or a Polish consulate in Chicago, Los Angeles, or New York for specific information regarding customs requirements.

  • Taking pictures of Polish military buildings or other national security/restricted objects is illegal.
  • Penalties are severe for possessing, using, or trafficking illegal drugs in Poland. Expect long jail sentences and heavy fines if convicted.
  • Local police can request identification at any time to establish your identity and submit you to further questioning.

Faith-Based Travelers: See the following Department of State webpages for details:

LGBTI Travelers: There are no legal restrictions on same-sex sexual relations or the organization of LGBTI events in Poland. Polish law prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity. Though the government generally enforces these provisions, the social acceptance of LGBTI individuals is not as prevalent as in the United States.

See our LGBTI Travel Information page and section six of our Human Rights report for further details.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance: Polish law prohibits discrimination against persons with disabilities in employment, education, access to health care, and the provision of other state services. In Warsaw and other major cities, public buildings and transportation generally are accessible. Outside of major metropolitan areas, accessible public transportation is usually less prevalent.

Students: See our students abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Women Travelers: See our travel tips for women travelers.


Adequate medical care is available, but the quality of hospital facilities and nursing support may not be comparable to U.S. standards in all regions of Poland. Emergency services may be lacking in small towns and rural areas. Physicians are generally well-trained, and younger doctors speak English (nurses and staff may not). While medication and treatment is generally substantially less-costly than in the United States, doctors and hospitals often expect cash payment prior to treatment. Medication, while generally available, may not be U.S. brand-name drugs.

We do not pay medical bills, and Medicare is not valid overseas. Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas.

Medical Insurance: Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most care providers overseas only accept cash payments prior to service. See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage.

We strongly recommend supplemental insurance to cover medical evacuation.

If traveling with prescription medication, check with the Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs to ensure the medication is legal in Poland. Always, carry your prescription medication in original packaging with your doctor’s prescription.

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Further health information:

Travel and Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety: Road conditions in Poland differ significantly from those in the United States. Road fatalities are high in Poland, placing it among one of the more dangerous places to drive in Europe. Driving, especially after dark, is hazardous. Roads are sometimes narrow, poorly lit, frequently under repair (especially in summer), and are often also used by pedestrians and cyclists.

  • Polish roadside services, while not equal to those in the United States, are adequate The Polish Automobile Association (Polski Związek Motorowy Auto-Tour) has multilingual operators and provides assistance countrywide 24/7. Call (22) 532-8403 or email
  • Flooding has closed bridges and significantly disrupted road travel in the past.
  • The police emergency number is 997, fire service is 998, ambulance service is 999, and the general emergency number is 112.

Traffic Laws: You must have a U.S. driver's license AND an International Driving Permit (IDP) (obtained prior to departure from the United States) in order to drive in Poland. U.S. citizens cannot obtain IDPs in Poland. If you stay in Poland for more than six months and continue to drive, you must obtain a Polish driver’s license. You can find information on obtaining an International Driving Permit here.

  • Seat belt use is mandatory.
  • You must use headlights year-round and at all times.
  • Children under 12 must sit in rear seats. Children under 12 and shorter than 4’11” must use a child’s car seat.
  • Using hand-held cell phones while driving is prohibited.
  • Polish law provides zero tolerance for driving under the influence of alcohol/drugs. Prison sentences for DUI violations or accidents caused by impaired drivers can range from two to twelve years.
  • Fines for traffic violations can be substantial. Non-residents are expected to pay the police officer issuing the ticket immediately. Be prepared to pay in cash in local currency.

Public Transportation: Public transportation in Poland is generally efficient, inexpensive, and safe. A ticket is usually required when boarding a bus or tram. If the ticket is not validated upon entry, you may be fined. In cities, taxis are available at major hotels, designated taxi stands, and can be ordered in advance by phone.

Avoid taxis without a company name and/or telephone number printed on the light bar. Make sure that the driver displays his or her license inside the vehicle, has a functioning meter, and uses the meter when starting your trip. At airports in Poland, including Warsaw’s Chopin Airport, only use taxis found at designated stands and avoid unregistered taxi stalls.

Internet-based ride services, such as Uber and iTaxi, are legal in Poland and growing in popularity as a safe ride option. However, some internet-based ride services may not be authorized to drop off or pick up patrons in some downtown tourist areas.

See our Road Safety page for more information. Also, visit Poland’s National Tourist Office and Poland’s General Roads and Highways Authority responsible for road safety information.

Aviation Safety Oversight: The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has assessed the Government of Poland’s Civil Aviation Authority as being in compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards for oversight of Poland’s air carrier operations. Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page.

Maritime Travel: Mariners planning travel to Poland should check for U.S. maritime advisories and alerts at Maritime Security Communications with Industry Web Portal and information specific to Poland can be found on The Ministry of Maritime Economy and Inland Navigation website. Information may also be posted to the U.S. Coast Guard homeport website and as a broadcast warning on the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency’s website. Weather warnings specific for Poland are available in English, and German on The Institute of Meteorology and Water Management website.

Hague Convention Participation
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention?
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention?
What You Can Do
Learn how to respond to abductions FROM the US
Learn how to respond to abductions TO the US
Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Warsaw

Aleje Ujazdowskie 29/31
00-540 Warsaw, Poland
+48 (22) 504-2000
American Citizen Services: +48 (22) 504-2784
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +48 (22) 504-2000
Fax: +(48) (22) 504-2088


U.S. Consulate General Krakow
Ulica Stolarska 9,
31-043 Kraków, Poland
+48 (12) 424-5129
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +48 (60) 148-3348
Fax: +(48) (12) 424-5103

U.S. Consular Agent - Poznan
Ulica Paderewskiego 8,
61-770 Poznan
+(48) (61) 851-8516
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(48) (22) 504-2000
Fax: +(48) (61) 851-8966

General Information

Poland and the United States have been treaty partners under the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention) since November 1, 1992.

For information concerning travel to Poland, including information about the location of the U.S. Embassy, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for Poland.

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on International Parental Child Abduction (IPCA).  The report is located here.


Hague Abduction Convention

The U.S. Department of State serves as the U.S. Central Authority (USCA) for the Hague Abduction Convention.  In this capacity, the Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizens Services, Office of Children’s Issues facilitates the submission of applications under the Hague Abduction Convention for the return of, or access to, children located in countries that are U.S. treaty partners, including Poland.  Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance prior to initiating the Hague process directly with the foreign Central Authority.

Contact information:

United States Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs
Office of Children’s Issues
SA-17, 9th Floor  
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Telephone:  1-888-407-4747
Outside the United States or Canada: 1-202-501-4444




The Polish Central Authority for the Hague Abduction Convention is the Ministry of Justice, Division of International Law.  The Ministry of Justice, Division of International Law discharges the obligations of a central authority under the Hague Abduction Convention by reviewing Hague applications for completeness and then forwarding them to the appropriate court for assistance in locating the child and adjudication of Hague cases.

The Polish Central Authority can be reached at:

Ministry of Justice
Division of International Law
Aleje Ujazdowskie 11
P.O. Box 35
00-950 WARSAW
Telephone: +48 (22) 239 0870
Fax: +48 (22) 897 0539

To initiate a Hague case for return of, or access to, a child in Poland, a parent or legal guardian should review the eligibility criteria and instructions for completing a Hague application, which is available on the Department of State website.

The USCA is available to answer questions about the Hague application process, to forward a completed application to the Polish Central Authority, and to subsequently monitor its progress through the foreign administrative and legal processes.  It is extremely important that each document written in English be translated into Polish prior to court proceedings commencing.  Documents that will be entered into evidence during the Hague proceeding (such as previous court orders) require certified translations from a certified sworn translator in Poland.  Certified translations are not necessary for documents that will not be submitted as evidence (such as the Hague application), and any competent person or organization may translate these documents.

There are no fees for filing Hague applications with either the United States or Polish central authorities.  Attorney fees, if necessary, are the responsibility of the applicant parent.  The Polish courts do not automatically provide free or reduced fee legal representation for applicant parents; however parents can complete an application to apply for financial assistance based on their income.  Additional costs may include airplane tickets for court appearances and for the return of the child, if so ordered.


A parent or legal guardian may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for return to the United States of a child abducted to, or wrongfully retained in, Poland.  The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand whether the Convention is an available civil remedy and can provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.


A person may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for access to a child living in Poland.  The criteria for acceptance of a Hague access application vary from country to country.  The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand country-specific criteria and provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.

Retaining an Attorney

The Polish system does not require parents to retain a private attorney in order to file a Hague Abduction Convention application with a court. However, parents can hire a private attorney to assist them with their case and advise as to the best course of action for their individual circumstances. A privately hired attorney should contact the Polish Central Authority as soon as possible after the Polish Central Authority receives the Hague Abduction Convention application. The Polish Central Authority can provide referrals to assist parents to find a private attorney or the parents may represent themselves. The Polish Central Authority’s role is not to assign attorneys to cases, but to prepare documents needed to submit the case to the court. 

The U.S. Embassy in Warsaw, Poland, posts a list of attorneys, including those who specialize in family law.

This list is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the persons or firms included in this list. Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the lawyers.


Mediation is a possible remedy for both abduction and access cases. The Polish Central Authority does not provide mediation services directly; however the Polish Central Authority does provide referrals to private and non-governmental organizations that offer mediation services. Mediation in Poland is voluntary and can occur at any stage of the Hague process.

Exercising Custody Rights

While travelling in a foreign country, you are subject to the laws of that country. It is important for parents to understand that, although a left-behind parent in the United States may have custody or visitation rights pursuant to a U.S. custody order, that order may not be valid and enforceable in the country in which the child is located.  For this reason, we strongly encourage you to speak to a local attorney if planning to remove a child from a foreign country without the consent of the other parent.  Attempts to remove your child to the United States may:

  • Endanger your child and others;
  • Prejudice any future judicial efforts; and
  • Could result in your arrest and imprisonment.

The U.S. government cannot interfere with another country’s court or law enforcement system.

To understand the legal effect of a U.S. order in a foreign country, a parent should consult with a local attorney in the country in which the child is located.  

For information about hiring an attorney abroad, see our section on Retaining a Foreign Attorney. 

Although we cannot recommend an attorney to you, most U.S. Embassies have lists of attorneys available online. Please visit the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate website for a full listing.

For more information on consular assistance for U.S. citizens arrested abroad, please see our website.

Country officers are available to speak with you Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  For assistance with an abduction in progress or any emergency situation that occurs after normal business hours, on weekends, or federal holidays, please call toll free at 1-888-407-4747. See all contact information.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this flyer is provided for general information only, is not intended to be legal advice, and may change without notice. Questions involving interpretation of law should be addressed to an attorney licensed in the relevant jurisdiction. 


Hague Convention Participation
Hague Adoption Convention Country?
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

Poland is party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention). Intercountry adoption processing in Hague countries is done in accordance with the requirements of the Convention; the U.S. implementing legislation, the Intercountry Adoption Act of 2000 (IAA); and the IAA’s implementing regulations, as well as the implementing legislation and regulations of Poland.


To bring an adopted child to the United States from Poland, you must meet eligibility and suitability requirements. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) determines who can adopt under U.S. immigration law.

Additionally, a child must meet the definition of Convention adoptee under U.S. law in order to immigrate to the United States on an IH-3 or IH-4 immigrant visa.

Who Can Adopt

In addition to the U.S. requirements, prospective adoptive parents need to meet Poland’s requirements to adopt a child from Poland:

  • Residency: There are no residency requirements for prospective adoptive parents.
  • Age Requirements: Under Polish law, there are no formal, legal restrictions on the age of prospective adoptive parents. In practice, however, prospective adoptive parents may be up to 40 years older than the child.
  • Marriage Requirements: Both married and single prospective adoptive parents are permitted to adopt a child in Poland. Poland does not recognize same-sex marriage or civil unions; therefore same-sex couples are unable to adopt a child in Poland.
  • Income:  Poland does not have any specific income requirements for intercountry adoptions.
  • Other Requirements: Although Roman Catholicism is Poland's official religion, non-Catholic prospective adoptive parents are permitted to adopt a child in Poland. However, one of the three adoption centers in Poland deals only with Catholic families.
Who Can Be Adopted

Because Poland is party to the Hague Adoption Convention, children from Poland must meet the requirements of the Convention in order to be eligible for adoption. For example, the adoption may take place only if the competent authorities of Poland have determined that placement of the child within Poland has been given due consideration and that an intercountry adoption is in the child’s best interests. In addition to Poland’s requirements, a child must meet the definition of Convention adoptee to be eligible for an immigrant visa that will allow you to bring him or her to the United States.

At the present time, Polish law requires both adoptive parents to have met the child prior to adoption. 

Only adoption centers authorized by the Minister of Labor and Social Policy can evaluate a Polish child’s eligibility for intercountry adoption. At present, only the Mazowieckie Regional Adoption Center (former Public Adoptive-Guardian Center - Publiczny Osrodek Adopcyjno-Opiekunczy) has such authorization. The Mazowieckie Regional Adoption Center maintains a database of all children residing in children homes or foster families in Poland who are available for international adoption because their parents have died, have relinquished all rights to them, or their right were involuntarily terminated.


  • Relinquishment: A single mother may relinquish her parental rights in the family court no earlier than six weeks after giving birth. The court will make the final decision about the termination of parental rights.
  • Abandonment: The majority of Polish children eligible for intercountry adoption have been separated from their biological parents, by the court’s decision to terminate their parental rights and to place the children in the foster care.
  • Age of Adoptive Child: Polish law allows for children younger than age 18 to be adopted. Children older than 13 must give their consent for adoption. (Note: Under U.S. immigration laws, children adopted through the Convention process must be under the age of 16 at the time a petition is filed on their behalf, unless they are the older sibling under age 18 of a child also adopted by the same prospective adoptive parents.)
  • Sibling Adoptions: It is usually more difficult to find a suitable family domestically to adopt siblings; therefore, these children are often eligible for intercountry adoption. Sibling groups, which can range from two to six children, are generally not separated. An adopting parent would be immediately notified and have priority to adopt if a sibling of a child already adopted becomes eligible for adoptions.
  • Special Needs or Medical Conditions: Young and healthy children are most often placed with Polish families. Children with medical conditions or special needs are more likely to be placed for intercountry adoption, even if they are very young.
  • Waiting Period or Foster Care: Prospective parents adopting children in Poland are not granted temporary care under Polish law. Children remain in state care or foster care until the adoption is finalized. While there is no standard or mandatory waiting period between matching and the bonding period, parents typically wait about six months until the first hearing before a judge. Afterward, the mandatory bonding period lasts between two and four weeks and the standard appeals period following the judge's approval of the adoption is three weeks. In addition, the civil documents necessary for the child to travel may take between two and three weeks.
How to Adopt

Poland’s Adoption Authority
Ministry of Labor and Social Policy
Department of Family Policy
11 Nowogrodzka Street
00-513 Warsaw, Poland
Tel: +48 (22) 529-0666 or 0665
Fax: +48 (22) 429-0661


Because Poland is party to the Hague Adoption Convention, adopting from Poland must follow a specific process designed to meet the Convention’s requirements. A brief summary of the Convention adoption process is given below. You must complete these steps in the following order so that your adoption meets all necessary legal requirements. Adoptions completed out of order may result in the child not being eligible for an immigrant visa to the United States.

  1. Choose a U.S. accredited or approved adoption service provider
  2. Apply to USCIS to be found eligible to adopt
  3. Be matched with a child by authorities in Poland
  4. Apply to USCIS for the child to be found eligible for immigration to the United States and receive U.S. agreement to proceed with the adoption
  5. Adopt the Child in Poland
  6. Obtain a U.S. immigrant visa for your child and bring your child home
  1. Choose a U.S. Accredited or Approved Adoption Service Provider
  2. The recommended first step in adopting a child from Poland is to select an adoption service provider in the United States that has been accredited or approved to provide services to U.S. citizens in Convention cases. Only accredited or approved adoption services providers act as the primary provider in your case. The primary adoption service provider is responsible for ensuring that all adoption services in the case are done in accordance with the Hague Adoption Convention and U.S. laws and regulations. Learn more about Agency Accreditation.

    Agencies that want to operate in Poland must receive an authorization to do so from the Polish Central Authority (Ministry of Labor and Social Policy).

    There are three adoption centers in Poland that are authorized to qualify foreign prospective parents for adoption in Poland and match them with children available for intercountry adoption. These centers, all located in Warsaw, are: the Mazowieckie Regional Adoption Center (formerly known as the Public Adoptive-Guardian Center), the National Adoptive-Guardian Center of the Children’s Friends Society, and the Catholic Adoptive-Guardian Center. The Hague-accredited U.S. adoption service providers may submit dossiers to these centers only.

    Polish adoption law does not explicitly forbid directed or private adoptions.  However, Polish law only allows intercountry adoption of orphans listed by the Public Adoptive-Guardian Center. This Center will only list orphans for intercountry adoption for whom no adopting Polish family can be found. In practice, it is extremely difficult to arrange a directed adoption between a birth parent and prospective adoptive parent without violating Polish law.

    Before considering “direct” or “private” adoptions in any country, please contact the Office of Children’s Issues, Department of State.

  3. Apply to USCIS to be Found Eligible to Adopt

    After you choose an accredited adoption service provider, you apply to be found eligible to adopt (Form I-800A) by the U.S. Government, Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Learn how.

    Once the U.S. Government determines that you are "eligible" and "suitable" to adopt, you or your agency will forward your information to the adoption authority in Poland. Poland's adoption authority will review your application to determine whether you are also eligible to adopt under Polish law.

  4. Be Matched with a Child in Poland:

    If both the United States and Poland determine that you are eligible to adopt, and the Polish adoption authorities have determined that a child is available for adoption and that intercountry adoption is in that child’s best interests, the adoption center that you have chosen to work with in Poland will provide you with a referral for a child. The referral is a proposed match between you and a specific child based on a review of your dossier and the needs of a specific child in Poland. The adoption center in Poland will provide a background study and other information, if available, about the child to help you decide whether to accept the referral or not.  Each family must decide for itself whether or not it will be able to meet the needs and provide a permanent home for a particular child. If you accept the referral, the adoption service provider communicates that to the chosen adoption center in Poland. Learn more about this critical decision.

  5. Apply to USCIS for the Child to be Found Eligible for Immigration to the United States and Receive U.S. Agreement to Proceed with the Adoption:

    After you accept a match with a child, you will apply to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for provisional approval for the child to immigrate to the United States (Form I-800). USCIS will make a provisional determination as to whether the child meets the definition of a Convention Adoptee and will be eligible to enter the United States and reside permanently as an immigrant.

    After provisional approval of Form I-800, your adoption service provider or you will submit a visa application to the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Warsaw is responsible for issuing immigrant visas to children from Poland. A consular officer will review the Form I-800 and the visa application for possible visa ineligibilities and advise you of options for the waiver of any noted ineligibilities.

    WARNING: The consular officer will send a letter (referred to as an “Article 5 Letter”) to the Poland’s Central Authority in any intercountry adoption involving U.S. citizen parents and a child from Poland where all Convention requirements are met and the consular officer determines that the child appears eligible to immigrate to the United States. This letter will inform the Poland’s Central Authority that the parents are eligible and suited to adopt, that all indications are that the child may enter and reside permanently in the United States, and that the U.S. Central Authority agrees that the adoption may proceed.

    Do not attempt to adopt or obtain custody of a child in Poland before a U.S. consular officer issues the Article 5 Letter in any adoption case.

    Remember: The consular officer will make a final decision about a child’s eligibility for an immigrant visa later in the adoption process.

  6. Adopt the Child (or Gain Legal Custody) in Poland

    Remember: Before you adopt (or gain legal custody of) a child in Poland, you must have completed the above four steps. Only after completing these steps, can you proceed to finalize the adoption or grant of custody for the purposes of adoption in Poland. 

    The process of finalizing the adoption in Poland includes the following:

    • Role of Adoption Agencies: The Central Authority (the Ministry of Labor and Social Policy) reviews the child’s and prospective adoptive parent's documents and, after receiving the Article 5 Letter from the U.S. Embassy, makes the final determination to adopt. The Central Authority issues the formal permission to continue the adoption process and the prospective adoptive parents take their adoption case to court.
    • Role of the Court: Prospective adoptive parents file a formal request to adopt the child with the Polish family court in the region where the child resides. A copy of the state adoption law (and Polish translation) where the prospective adoptive parents reside must also be included with the filing. Polish law requires all prospective adoptive parents to be present during the final two adoption hearings, though the judge has the discretion to waive the requirement of the first of these two final hearings. At the first hearing, the judge will grant permission for the prospective adoptive parents to visit with the child daily for a two- to four-week period. The bonding period is mandatory and evaluated by a local adoption center psychologist. At the final hearing, the judge decides whether to grant the adoption and full custody. It is followed by a 21-day appeal period which may be shortened to 14 days at the judge's discretion. The court issues both the final adoption decree and the Article 23 Hague Certificate.
    • Adoption Fees: In the adoption services contract signed at the beginning of the adoption process, the agency will itemize the fees and estimated expenses related to the adoption process.

      Some of the fees specifically associated with adopting from Poland include:

      • Complete form of the birth certificate - 35 PLN per copy
      • Short form of the birth certificate - 20 PLN per copy
      • Polish temporary passport - 30 PLN
      • Visa and passport photos – about 100 PLN
      • Immigrant visa fee - 230 USD
      • Medical exam - 250 PLN
      • Translations of Polish documents into English - 30-40 PLN per page
      • Court interpretation services – 150-200 PLN per hour
      • Formal psychological evaluation of the bonding process – 2,000 – 2,500 PLN

    In some areas of Poland, adoptive parents may also be financially responsible for the housing costs of the child in the orphanage, from the time n adoption is finalized through the child’s removal from the orphanage. It is customary, but not required, for adoptive parents to make donations in the amount of 500-1,000 PLN to the adoption center that assisted in the adoption processing. 

    • Documents Required:
      • Adoption application;
      • Birth certificate(s) of the prospective adoptive parent(s);
      • Marriage certificate(s) and proof of termination of any previous marriage(s), if applicable;
      • Criminal records clearance check;
      • Confirmation of financial status;
      • Proof of citizenship;
      • Certificate attesting to good physical and mental health of the prospective adoptive parents – medical records;
      • Approved home study prepared by licensed agency with a recommendation of a U.S. Hague accredited adoption service provider; and
      • Approved I-800A petition

      Note: Additional documents may be requested.

    • Authentication of Documents: The United States and Poland are parties to the Hague Apostille Convention. U.S. public documents may be authenticated with Apostilles by the appropriate U.S. Competent Authority
  7. Obtain an Immigrant Visa for your Child and Bring Your Child Home

    Now that your adoption is completed, there are a few more steps to take before you can head home. Specifically, you need to apply for three documents before your child can travel to the United States:

    • Birth Certificate 
      If you have finalized the adoption in Poland, you will firstneed to apply for a new birth certificate for your child so that you can later apply for a passport.

      With the final court decree, you may apply to the civil registry for a complete birth certificate ("zupełny act urodzenia") with the child’s new name and listing the adoptive parents as parents. This document is typically ready within one to two days. Applications should be made at the office where the child's birth was originally registered.

    • Polish Passport 
      Your child is not yet a U.S. citizen, so he/she will need a travel document or passport from Poland.

      After receiving the new birth certificate, the parents must apply for a child’s new identification number, or "PESEL". Once it has been assigned, both parents may apply for a Polish passport from either the local passport office where the child was adopted or the main passport office in Warsaw. The PESEL number, birth certificate, parents' passports, passport application and fee will be required.  Within seven days of application, adopted children are generally issued a temporary Polish passport with a one-year validity for travel.

    • U.S. Immigrant Visa 
      After you obtain the new birth certificate and passport for your child, you also need to finalize your application for a U.S. visa for your child from the U.S. Embassy in Warsaw.  After the adoption is granted, visit the U.S. Embassy for final review of the case, issuance of a U.S. Hague Adoption Certificate, final approval of Form I-800, and to obtain your child’s immigrant visa. This immigrant visa allows your child to travel home with you. As part of this process, the consular officer must be provided the “Panel Physician’s” medical report on the child if it was not provided during the provisional approval stage. Read more about the Medical Examination.


For adoptions finalized abroad prior to the child’s entry into the United States: A child will acquire U.S. citizenship upon entry into the United States if the adoption was finalized prior to entry and the child otherwise meets the requirements of the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.

Traveling Abroad


U.S. citizens are required by law to enter and depart the United States on a valid U.S. passport. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. passports.

Getting or renewing a passport is easy. The Passport Application Wizard will help you determine which passport form you need, help you to complete the form online, estimate your payment, and generate the form for you to print—all in one place.

American citizens traveling to Poland do not need to obtain a visa.


Before you travel, it is always a good practice to investigate the local conditions, laws, political landscape, and culture of the country. The Department of State provides Country Specific Information for every country of the world about various issues, including the health conditions, crime, unusual currency or entry requirements, and any areas of instability.


When traveling during the adoption process, we encourage you to enroll with the Department of State. Enrollment makes it possible to contact you if necessary. Whether there is a family emergency in the United States or a crisis in Poland, enrollment assists the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in reaching you.

Enrollment is free and can be done online via the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).

After Adoption


One year after a finalized adoption, a written report must be submitted to the Polish adoption center that processed the case. Your adoption agency will assist you with preparing and submitting this report to Polish authorities in accordance with the terms it has established with the Polish Central Authority. Typically, such reports are prepared by a licensed social worker to describe the child's well-being, including relevant medical, emotional, residential, and educational information as well as current photos of the child.  We strongly urge you to comply with Poland’s post-adoption requirements in a timely manner. Your cooperation will contribute to that country’s history of positive experiences with U.S. citizen parents.


Many adoptive parents find it important to find support after the adoption. There are many public and private nonprofit post-adoption services available for children and their families. There are also numerous adoptive family support groups and adoptee organizations active in the United States that provide a network of options for adoptees who seek out other adoptees from the same country of origin. Take advantage of all the resources available to your family, whether it is another adoptive family, a support group, an advocacy organization, or your religious or community services.

Here are some places to start your support group search:

Note: Inclusion of non-U.S. Government links does not imply endorsement of contents.

Contact Information

U.S. Embassy in Poland
IV Unit/Adoptions
12 Piekna Street
00-540 Warsaw, Poland
Tel: +48 (22) 625-1401 or +28 (22) 504-2106
Fax: +48 (22) 504-2088

Poland’s Adoption Authority
Ministry of Family, Labor and Social Policy
Department of Family Policy
11 Nowogrodzka Street
00-513 Warsaw, Poland
Tel: +48 (22) 529-0666 or 0678
Fax: +48 (22) 429-0661

Poland’s Authorized Adoption Centers
Mazovian Provincial Adoption Center
ul. Nowy Zjazd 1
00-301 Warszawa
Tel/fax: +48 (22) 621-1075

National Adoption Center of the Children's Friends Society 
(Towarzystwo Przyjaciol Dzieci – TPD)
Ul. Krakowskie Przedmiescie 6
00-325 Warszawa
Tel: +48 (22) 425-4677 or 4688
Fax: +48 (22) 827-7813

Catholic Adoption Center (Katolicki Osrodek Adopcyjno-Opiekunczy)
Ul. Ratuszowa 5
03-461 Warszawa
Fax: (48)(22) 818-5430

Embassy of Poland Consular Section
2224 Wyoming Av. NW
Washington, D.C. 20008-3992
Tel: (202) 499-1930

Poland also has consulates in:  Chicago, Los Angeles, and New York.

Office of Children’s Issues
U.S. Department of State  
SA-17, 9th Floor  
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Tel: 1-888-407-4747

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
For questions about immigration procedures:
USCIS National Customer Service Center (NCSC)
Tel: 1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833)

For questions about filing a Form I-800A application or a Form I-800 petition:
USCIS National Benefits Center (NBC)
Tel: 1-877-424-8374 (toll free); 1-816-251-2770 (local)

Reciprocity Schedule

Select a visa category below to find the visa issuance fee, number of entries, and validity period for visas issued to applicants from this country*/area of authority.

Explanation of Terms

Visa Classification: The type of nonimmigrant visa you are applying for.

Fee: The reciprocity fee, also known as the visa issuance fee, you must pay. This fee is in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee (MRV fee).

Number of Entries: The number of times you may seek entry into the United States with that visa. "M" means multiple times. If there is a number, such as "One", you may apply for entry one time with that visa.

Validity Period: This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used, from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel with that visa. If your Validity Period is 60 months, your visa will be valid for 60 months from the date it is issued.

Visa Classifications
Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 60 Months
A-2 None Multiple 60 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 24 Months
B-1 None Multiple 120 Months
B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
C-1 None Multiple 120 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 120 Months
C-2 None Multiple 6 Months
C-3 None Multiple 6 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 120 Months
E-1 2 None Multiple 12 Months
E-2 2 None Multiple 12 Months
E-2C 12 None Multiple 12 Months
F-1 None Multiple 60 Months
F-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-1 None Multiple 60 Months
G-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-3 None Multiple 60 Months
G-4 None Multiple 60 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 24 Months
H-1B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-1C None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2A None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2R None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
I None Multiple 60 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 60 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 60 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Multiple 60 Months
L-2 None Multiple 60 Months
M-1 None Multiple 60 Months
M-2 None Multiple 60 Months
N-8 None Multiple 60 Months
N-9 None Multiple 60 Months
NATO 1-7 10 None Multiple 60 Months
O-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 15 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 60 Months
R-2 None Multiple 60 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8
Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes
  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents

Please check back for update

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates

Birth and Death Certificates

Available. A copy of the record must be obtained from the Civil Registry Office (Urząd Stanu Cywilnego) that has jurisdiction over the place of occurrence.

Polish legislation provides for the issuance of the three types of certificates pertaining to birth and death:

  1. a complete copy (odpis zupelny),
  2. an abbreviated copy (odpis skrócony)
  3. a multilanguage abbreviated copy (not acceptable by the Embassy).

Only the complete copy is acceptable for immigration purposes. The abbreviated copy provides insufficient data.

The fee is 33 PLN for the complete version of the full birth certificate, subject to change. Applicants residing outside Poland may apply for the documents at the nearest Polish consulate or directly to the Civil Registry Office. In the latter case, the response is sent to the relevant Polish diplomatic mission abroad. Copies of records regarding legal separation, divorce, adoption or child legitimation can only be obtained from the district court having jurisdiction over the area. An excerpt from the original records (wyciąg) is no longer considered a legal document in Poland.

A complete copy of a birth record provides the following information: the last, first and middle names of a child, gender, the place and date of birth, the full names of the parents, dates and places of their births, their places of residence, mother's maiden name, whether or not the parents were legally married.

A complete copy of a death certificate contains such particulars as the decedent's full and maiden name, date and place of birth, marital status, last place of residence, date of death, time and place of discovery of the corpse, and names and other personal details concerning the spouse and parents of the deceased.

Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Marriage Certificates

Available. A copy of the record must be obtained from the Civil Registry Office (Urząd Stanu Cywilnego) that has jurisdiction over the place of occurrence.

Polish legislation provides for the issuance of the three types of certificates pertaining to marriage:

  1. a complete copy (odpis zupelny),
  2. an abbreviated copy (odpis skrócony)
  3. a multilanguage abbreviated copy (not acceptable by the Embassy).

Only the complete copy is acceptable for immigration purposes. The abbreviated copy provides insufficient data.

A complete copy of a marriage certificate provides the following information: the full names and previous marital status, places of residence, places and dates of birth of the concerned couple, the full names of the parents, the names of two witnesses, and the married name of each party. Same-sex marriage is not legally recognized in Poland.

Divorce Decree

Available. A copy of a divorce decree for all cases adjudicated after 1990 may be obtained from the District Court (Sąd Okręgowy) where the decree was rendered. Before 1990, divorce cases were handled by Regional Courts (Sądy Rejonowe). The court does not automatically issue the document to the parties of a divorce case. A copy of the decree may be obtained at written request. The current fee is 6.00 PLN per page, payable in court stamps. Applicants residing abroad may obtain their divorce decree through a Polish Consulate or Embassy. They may also apply directly to the court, pay the fee to the court's bank account (bank account number should be provided on the court's website), and submit a delivery address in Poland. The court will not send any document to an address outside Poland.

Adoption Certificates

Please check back for update

Identity Card

Please check back for update

Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Record


If the Applicant is in Poland:

Application should be made directly to the National Criminal Register (Krajowy Rejestr Karny), ul. Czerniakowska 100, 00-454 Warszawa. Applicant should complete the Request Form (PDF - 39 kb) to obtain the police certificate from the Polish Ministry of Justice. Please also read our Police Certificate Cover Letter (PDF - 156 kb) for additional information. It usually takes up to three weeks for the Ministry of Justice to process good conduct certificate requests, although an applicant who appears personally at the Ministry can often obtain a certificate the same day.

If the Applicant is in the United States:

Application should be sent to one of the four Polish diplomatic missions in the U.S.: Washington, New York, Chicago, or Los Angeles. Applications may also be sent directly from overseas to the Ministry of Justice address listed above.

If the Applicant is in a Third Country:

Application should be sent to the Polish Embassy in that country, or may be mailed directly to the Ministry of Justice address listed above.

Prison Records

Available only at applicant's request. Prison records are generally available directly from the court of adjudication. Certificates attesting to prison sentences, or the absence of prison records, are obtainable on application to the Ministry of Justice, National Criminal Register (KRK) in Warsaw at (Ministerstwo Sprawiedliwosci, Krajowy Rejestr Karny, Warszawa, ul. Czerniakowska 100).

Military Records

Not available.

Passports & Other Travel Documents

Please check back for update

Other Records

Not applicable

Visa Issuing Posts

Warsaw, Poland (Embassy)

Street Address:
American Embassy-Warsaw
Aleje Ujazdowskie 29/31
Warsaw, Poland 00-540

Mailing Address:
U.S. Embassy-Warsaw
Department of State
Washington, D.C. 20510-5010

Consular Section:
ul. Piekna 12
Warsaw 00-540


(48)(22) 504-2000 Switchboard/After hours emergencies for U.S. citizens

U.S. Citizen Services: +(48)(22) 504 2784 (8:30 - 17:00) Email:

Consular telephone recorded information system is available for public inquiries 24 hours a day at +(48)(22)625-1401. Recordings in English and Polish provide information about the entire range of consular services.

General Visa Information +(48)(22) 307 1361 between 8:00 am - 8:00 pm

Public inquiries:


Telephone: For case-specific queries regarding immigrant visa cases, operators are available between 2:00 PM and 4:00 PM at +(48)(22)625-1042.


(48)(22) 504 2088 - Consular Correspondence Unit


Krakow, Poland (Consulate General)

Street Address:
American Consulate General-Krakow
Ul. Stolarska 9
31-043 Krakow, Poland

Mailing Address:
American Consulate General - Krakow
American Embassy - Warsaw
Dept. of State
Washington, D.C. 20510-5010

(48)(12) 424-5100 Switchboard/After hours emergencies for U.S. citizens

U.S. Citizen Services: +(48)(12) 424 5129 (8:30 – 17:00) Email:


Visa Services

All immigrant, diversity and K visa services for all nationals of Poland and Belarus are provided by U.S. Embassy Warsaw.

Citizens and residents of Poland may apply for nonimmigrant visas at either the U.S. Embassy in Warsaw or U.S. Consulate General in Kraków.

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information

Washington, DC (202) 499-1930 (202) 499-1700 (202) 328-2152 (202) 328-6271

Chicago, IL (312) 337-8166 (312) 337-7841

Los Angeles, CA (310) 442-8500 (310) 442-8515

New York, NY (646) 237-2100 (212) 686-1541 (646) 237-2105 (212) 686-3219

Assistance for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Embassy Warsaw
Aleje Ujazdowskie 29/31
00-540 Warsaw, Poland
+48 (22) 504-2000
+48 (22) 504-2000
+(48) (22) 504-2088
Poland Map

Search for Travel Advisories
Additional Information for Reciprocity

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.