Travel Advisories


Travel Advisories

Malta Travel Advisory

Travel Advisory
January 10, 2018
Malta - Level 1: Exercise Normal Precautions

Exercise normal precautions in Malta. 

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.

If you decide to travel to Malta:

Travel Advisory Levels
1 Exercise normal precautions, 2 Exercise increased caution, 3 Reconsider travel, 4 Do not travel

Republic of Malta
Quick Facts

Must be valid for at least three months beyond your planned date of departure from the Schengen area.


One page required for entry stamp


Not required for stays less than 90 days




Reciprocal to country of origin


10,000 euros or equivalent

Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Malta

Ta'Qali National Park Street
Attard ATD4000 Malta
Telephone: +(356) 2561-4000

Destination Description

See the Department of State’s Fact Sheet for additional information on U.S.-Malta relations.

Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

Visit the Embassy of Embassy of Malta’s website for the most current visa information.

Malta is a party to the Schengen Agreement. This means that U.S. citizens may enter Malta for up to 90 days for tourist or business purposes without a visa. Your passport should be valid for at least three months beyond your planned departure date. You need proof of sufficient funds and a return airline ticket for entry. For additional details about travel into and within Schengen countries, please see our Schengen fact sheet.

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Malta.

Find information on dual nationalityprevention of international child abduction and customs regulations on our websites.

Safety and Security

Credible information indicates terrorist groups continue plotting attacks in Europe. European governments are taking action to guard against terrorist attacks; however, all European countries remain potentially vulnerable to attacks from transnational terrorist organizations. Malta’s open borders with members of the Schengen zone allow the possibility of individual terrorists entering/exiting the country undetected.

CRIME: The most commonly reported crimes are simple assault, pick-pocketing, and petty theft. While armed robberies, sexual assaults, and homicides are not as common as in some major U.S. cities, they do occur. Criminals focus on areas and establishments frequented by tourists.

  • In general, criminals avoid using violence.
  • Secure your valuables, and be aware of pick-pockets and purse snatchers.
  • Theft of unattended property is a very common problem.

Nightclubs: You should be careful in the Paceville nightclub area, where excessive drinking and poor crowd control can lead to violence, including some that appears to be racially-motivated. Criminals have drugged some travelers at bars and robbed and assaulted them.

Victims of Crime: Report crimes to the local police by dialing 112 and contact the U.S. Embassy at (+356) 2561-4000.

Local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting crimes.

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • Help you find appropriate medical care
  • Assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • Contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • Explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • Provide a list of local attorneys
  • Provide our information on victim’s compensation programs in the United States
  • Provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution
  • Help you find accommodation and arrange flights home
  • Replace a stolen or lost passport

Domestic Violence: U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence should contact the Embassy for assistance.

Malta’s crime victim assistance agency, Appogg, can be reached by calling its support line (dial 179) or by visiting its website.

The local equivalent to the 911 emergency line in Malta is 112.

For further information:

  • Call us in Washington at 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned. Your U.S. passport will not help you avoid arrest or prosecution.

  • Penalties for possessing, using, or trafficking in illegal drugs in Malta are severe.
  • Malta’s laws on the rights of arrestees are different from the United States. For example, once you have contacted a lawyer, you lose your right to remain silent.

Judicial Proceedings for Criminal Offenses in Malta: Trials typically last five to seven years and are characterized by lengthy and sometimes unpredictable delays between hearings. Foreign nationals can expect to be denied bail while a court case is ongoing, which can result in lengthy periods of pre-trial detention ranging from several months to several years. Obtaining no-fee legal aid can be a slow and difficult process, delaying already lengthy judicial proceedings.  

Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the United States regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. See our  webpage for further information.


Customs and Currency Restrictions: Malta customs authorities may enforce strict regulations concerning currency restrictions and temporary importation into or export from Malta of items such as firearms, antiquities, or any item that might be deemed to have resale value. It is advisable to contact the Maltese Embassy in Washington, D.C. for specific information regarding customs requirements.

  • Malta’s customs authorities encourage the use of an ATA (Admission Temporaire /Temporary Admission) Carnet for the temporary admission of professional equipment, commercial samples and/or goods for exhibitions and fair purposes. The U.S. Council for International Business issues and guarantees the ATA Carnet in the United States.

Faith-Based Travelers: See the Department of State’s International Religious Freedom Report.

LGBTI RIGHTS: There are no legal restrictions on same-sex sexual relations or the organization of LGBTI events in Malta.

See the LGBTI Travel Information page and Section 6 of the State Department’s Human Rights Report for further details. 

Students: See the Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance: Very few public or private spaces in Malta are wheelchair accessible. Public transportation and most sidewalks or footpaths, including road crossings, are not accessible for those with mobility challenges. Many apartments lack elevators.

  • Taxis are readily available, but the cost is substantially higher than public buses.

Women Travelers: See travel tips for Women Travelers.


Medical care is available from private and government clinics and hospitals. The quality of medical care in Malta is at U.S. standards; however, customer service standards are lower, there are cultural differences with regard to communication, and there may be long waiting times for non-urgent medical care. Medical specialists are few. Private hospitals generally offer better customer service, shorter wait times, and more amenities. Mater Dei is Malta’s main government hospital. Though it offers full service, including a modern emergency room and trauma facilities, it can be crowded and difficult to navigate.

The U.S. Government does not pay medical bills.  Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas.

Medical Insurance:  Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most overseas care providers only accept cash payments.  See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage.

We strongly recommend supplemental insurance to cover medical evacuation.

If traveling with prescription medication, check with the Government of Malta and its Medicines Authority to ensure the medication is legal in Malta. Always carry your prescription medication in original packaging with your doctor’s prescription. 

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Further health information:

Travel and Transportation

TRAFFIC SAFETY AND ROAD CONDITIONS: Maltese drivers may drive more aggressively and with less caution than visitors anticipate. Roads flood easily and are often narrow, winding and congested, with poor visibility around curves.

  • In Malta, automobiles drive on the left-hand side of the road.
  • Buses are the primary means of public transportation.
  • Taxis are safe but expensive and are not metered. Agree on the charge with the driver in advance.

For more information, please visit our Road Safety page. Visit the website of Malta’s national tourist office and national authority responsible for road safety.

AVIATION SAFETY OVERSIGHT: The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has assessed the Government of Malta’s Civil Aviation Authority as being in compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards for oversight of Malta’s air carrier operations. Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page.

Hague Convention Participation
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention?
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention?
What You Can Do
Learn how to respond to abductions FROM the US
Learn how to respond to abductions TO the US
Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Malta

Ta'Qali National Park Street
Attard ATD4000 Malta
Telephone: +(356) 2561-4000

General Information

Malta and the United States have been treaty partners under the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention) since February 1, 2003.

For information concerning travel to Malta, including information about the location of the U.S. Embassy, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for Malta.

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on International Parental Child Abduction (IPCA).  The report is located here.

Hague Abduction Convention

The U.S. Department of State serves as the U.S. Central Authority (USCA) for the Hague Abduction Convention.  In this capacity, the Department's Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizen Services, Office of Children's Issues facilitates the submission of applications under the Hague Abduction Convention for the return of, or access to, children located in countries that are U.S. treaty partners, including Malta.  Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance prior to initiating the Hague process directly with the foreign Central Authority.

Contact information:

U.S. Department of State
SA-17, 9th Floor
2201 C Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Telephone:  1-888-407-4747
Outside the United States or Canada: 1-202-501-4444

The Maltese Central Authority (MCA) for the Hague Abduction Convention is the Department for Social Welfare Standards.  The MCA has an administrative role in processing Hague Abduction Convention applications. The MCA forwards completed Hague applications to the appropriate Maltese Family Court in the jurisdiction where the child resides. 

The MCA can be reached at:

Director for Social Welfare Standards
469, Vincenzo Bugeja Institute
St. Joseph High Road
St. Venera SVR 1012
Tele: +356 22788300  Fax: +356 22788355

To initiate a Hague case for return of, or access to, a child in Malta, the USCA encourages a parent or legal guardian to review the eligibility criteria and instructions for completing the Hague application form located at the Department of State website and contact the Department of State for assistance prior to initiating the Hague process directly with the MCA.  The USCA is available to answer questions about the Hague application process, to forward a completed application to the MCA, and to monitor its subsequent progress through the foreign administrative and legal processes.

There are no fees for filing Hague applications with either the U.S. or Maltese central authorities.  Attorney fees, if necessary, are the responsibility of the applicant parent.  Additional costs may include airplane tickets for court appearances and for the return of the child, if so ordered.


A parent or legal guardian may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for return to the United States of a child abducted to, or wrongfully retained in, Malta.  The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand whether the Convention is an available civil remedy and can provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.


A parent or legal guardian may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for access to a child living in Malta.  The criteria for acceptance of a Hague access application vary from country to country.  The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand country-specific criteria and provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.

Retaining an Attorney

Parents or legal guardians are not required to retain a private attorney in order to file a Hague Abduction Convention application with the Family Court in Malta. The MCA assigns a public prosecutor to present the case in the Maltese Court. Parents or legal guardians have the option to hire a private attorney at their own expense in Malta to join the state-appointed attorney in presenting the Hague Abduction Convention case. A privately hired attorney should contact the MCA as soon as possible after the MCA receives the Hague Abduction Convention application.

The U.S. Embassy in Valletta, Malta, posts a list of attorneysincluding those who specialize in family law.

This list is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the persons or firms included in this list. Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the lawyers.


The USCA is not aware of any government or private organizations in Malta that offer mediation services in either abduction or access cases.

Exercising Custody Rights

While travelling in a foreign country, you are subject to the laws of that country. It is important for parents to understand that, although a left-behind parent in the United States may have custody or visitation rights pursuant to a U.S. custody order, that order may not be valid and enforceable in the country in which the child is located.  For this reason, we strongly encourage you to speak to a local attorney if planning to remove a child from a foreign country without the consent of the other parent.  Attempts to remove your child to the United States may:

  • Endanger your child and others;
  • Prejudice any future judicial efforts; and
  • Could result in your arrest and imprisonment.

The U.S. government cannot interfere with another country’s court or law enforcement system.

To understand the legal effect of a U.S. order in a foreign country, a parent should consult with a local attorney in the country in which the child is located.  

For information about hiring an attorney abroad, see our section on Retaining a Foreign Attorney. 

Although we cannot recommend an attorney to you, most U.S. Embassies have lists of attorneys available online. Please visit the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate website for a full listing.

For more information on consular assistance for U.S. citizens arrested abroad, please see our website.

Country officers are available to speak with you Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  For assistance with an abduction in progress or any emergency situation that occurs after normal business hours, on weekends, or federal holidays, please call toll free at 1-888-407-4747. See all contact information.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this flyer is provided for general information only, is not intended to be legal advice, and may change without notice. Questions involving interpretation of law should be addressed to an attorney licensed in the relevant jurisdiction. 


Hague Convention Participation
Hague Adoption Convention Country?
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

Malta is party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention).  Therefore all adoptions between Malta and the United States must meet the requirements of the Convention and U.S. law implementing the Convention.

Malta is not considered a country of origin in intercountry adoption.  While intercountry adoptions are legally possible, Maltese children eligible for adoptions are placed with Maltese residents.  No Maltese children eligible for adoption have received U.S. immigrant visas based on a Convention adoption in the past five fiscal years.  The information provided is intended primarily to assist in extremely rare adoption cases from Malta, including adoptions of Maltese children by relatives in the United States, as well as adoptions from third countries by U.S. citizens living in Malta.

Below is the limited adoption information that the Department has obtained from the adoption authority of Malta.  U.S. citizens interested in adopting children from Malta should contact the Central Authority of Malta to inquire about applicable laws and procedures.  U.S. citizen prospective adoptive parents living in Malta who would like to adopt a child from the United States or from a third country should also contact Malta’s Central Authority.  See contact information below.

Please visit the Department’s Country Specific Information for more information on travelling to Malta and the U.S. Embassy in Valletta’s website for information on consular services.

WARNING:  The consular officer will send a letter (referred to as an “Article 5 Letter”) to Malta’s Central Authority in any intercountry adoption involving U.S. citizen parents and a child from Malta where all Convention requirements are met and the consular officer determines that the child appears eligible to immigrate to the United States.  This letter will inform Malta’s Central Authority that the parents are eligible and suited to adopt, that all indications are that the child may enter and reside permanently in the United States, and that the U.S. Central Authority agrees that the adoption may proceed.

Do not attempt to adopt or obtain custody of a child in Malta before a U.S. consular officer issues the Article 5 Letter in any adoption case.

Remember:  The consular officer will make a final decision about a child’s eligibility for an immigrant visa later in the adoption process.

Malta's Adoption Authority
The Department for Social Welfare Standards’ Bugeia Institute, situated within the Ministry for the Family and Social Solidarity, is the designated Central Authority under the 1993 Hague Convention.

Who Can Adopt
enter text here
Who Can Be Adopted
enter text here
How to Adopt
enter text here
Traveling Abroad
enter text here
After Adoption
enter text here
Contact Information

U.S. Embassy in Malta 
Embassy of the United States
Ta’Qali National Park Street
Attard, ATD-4000
Tel: (356) 2561 4000
Fax: (356) 21 243229

Note:  The U.S. Embassy in Malta does not process Immigrant Visas applications. All Immigrant Visas for Malta are processed by the U.S. Consulate General in Naples, Italy:

U.S. Consulate General in Naples
Consulate General of the United States
Piazza della Republica
80122 Napoli
Tel:  (+39) 081.5838.111
Fax:  (+39) 081.7611.869

Malta's Adoption Authority 
Bugeia Institute
Department for Social Welfare Standards 
Ministry for the Family and Social Solidarity
469 St. Joseph High Road
Santa Venera, SVR 1012
Malta Tel:  (356)22788000
Fax:  (356) 22788 360
Contact Person: Dr. Sandra Hili Vassallo

Embassy of Malta
2017 Connecticut Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20008
Tel: (202) 387-5470

Office of Children's Issues
U.S. Department of State
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Tel: 1-888-407-4747

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
For questions about immigration procedures:
National Customer Service Center (NCSC)
Tel:  1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833)

For questions about filing a Form I-800A or I-800 petition:
National Benefits Center
Tel:  1-877-424-8374 (toll free); 1-816-251-2770 (local)

Reciprocity Schedule

Select a visa category below to find the visa issuance fee, number of entries, and validity period for visas issued to applicants from this country*/area of authority.

Explanation of Terms

Visa Classification: The type of nonimmigrant visa you are applying for.

Fee: The reciprocity fee, also known as the visa issuance fee, you must pay. This fee is in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee (MRV fee).

Number of Entries: The number of times you may seek entry into the United States with that visa. "M" means multiple times. If there is a number, such as "One", you may apply for entry one time with that visa.

Validity Period: This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used, from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel with that visa. If your Validity Period is 60 months, your visa will be valid for 60 months from the date it is issued.

Visa Classifications
Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 60 Months
A-2 None Multiple 60 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 12 Months
B-1 None Multiple 120 Months
B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
C-1 None Multiple 60 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 60 Months
C-2 One Multiple 12 Months
C-3 None Multiple 60 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 60 Months
E-1 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2C 12 None Multiple 24 Months
F-1 None Multiple 60 Months
F-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-1 None Multiple 60 Months
G-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-3 None Multiple 60 Months
G-4 None Multiple 60 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 12 Months
H-1B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-1C None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2A None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2R None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
I None Multiple 60 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 60 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 60 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Multiple 60 Months
L-2 None Multiple 60 Months
M-1 None Multiple 60 Months
M-2 None Multiple 60 Months
N-8 None Multiple 60 Months
N-9 None Multiple 60 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 15 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 60 Months
R-2 None Multiple 60 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8
Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes
  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents

Please check back for update

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates

Birth Certificates

Available. Certificates for persons born in Malta are obtainable from the Director of the Public Registry, Merchants Street, Valletta; certificates for persons born in Gozo may be obtained from the Acting Director of the Public Registry, Victoria, Gozo. The GOM started issuing computerized birth and death certificates in January 1994. The certificates are printed in English and Maltese on a better quality and slightly larger paper, and are headed "Public Registry". They contain the name, sex, and date and place of birth of applicant; name and surname and place and date of birth of the parents, including the mother's maiden name.

Death Certificates

Available. Death certificates are issued by the same authorities who issue birth certificate, have the same format and heading, and contain the name and surname of the deceased, place and date of death, marital status, place of birth, occupation and age, as well as name and surname of parents.

NOTE: There may be a fee for each document issued by the Public Registry. Documents issued by ecclesiastical authorities are not to be considered to be those issued by a government authority. There being no divorce law in Malta, divorce certificates are not available.

Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Marriage Certificates

Available. Marriage certificates are issued by the same authorities that issue birth certificates, have the same format and heading, and contain the name and surname of husband and wife, their occupation, age and place of birth, and place and date of marriage. Computerized marriage certificates will start being issued later this year. There has been no change in the cost of computerized certificates.

Adoption Certificates

Please check back for update

Identity Card

Please check back for update

Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Records

Available. A certificate of conduct may be obtained from the Commissioner of Police, Police Headquarters, Floriana. The following data must be submitted: applicant's full name; father's and mother's full names, including the mother's maiden name; in case the applicant is a married woman, her husband's name; place of birth; former residence address in Malta; applicant's age. However, the police record is often of limited value because convictions can be expunged ten years after completion of sentence, and crimes resulting in lesser terms of imprisonment are cleared from the record after a correspondingly shorter time period. A fee may be charged for this service.

Prison Records

Unavailable. Applicants may attempt to obtain record by writing to the Director of Prisons, The Prisons, Paola.

Court Records

Available. Applicants should write to the Registrar, Courts of Law, Republic St., Valletta. A fee may be charged for this service.

Military Records

Available. Former members of the Armed Forces of Malta are issued a certificate of service, which includes a testimonial signed by the Commanding Officer.

Passports & Other Travel Documents

Please check back for update

Other Records

Not applicable

Visa Issuing Posts

Valletta, Malta (Embassy)

Tel: 356-256-14000

Fax: 356-212-43229

Visa Services

All visa categories for all of Malta.

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information

Washington, DC (202) 462-3611 (202) 462-3612 (202) 387-5470

New York, NY (212) 355-6213 (212) 355-4014

Assistance for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Embassy Malta
Ta'Qali National Park Street
Attard ATD4000 Malta
+(356) 2561-4000
+(356) 2561-4000
No Fax
Malta Map

Search for Travel Advisories
Additional Information for Reciprocity

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.