Exercise normal precautions in Madagascar. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.
Exercise increased caution in:
- High-traffic tourist areas due to crime.
Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Madagascar:
High-traffic tourist areas
Violent crime, such as armed robbery and assaults, is common in:
- Antananarivo, Nosy Be, Toamasina (Tamatave) and Mahajunga
- Ankarana and Montagne d’Ambre National Parks adjacent to Diego
- General area surrounding Tolagnaro (Ft. Dauphin), south of National Route (RN) 7 and RN 27 (excluding the tourist area on the coastal roads between Ambovombe and Farafangana)
- Batterie Beach, north of Toliara (Tuléar)