Global Health Advisory: Do Not Travel. Avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19.
Exercise increased caution in Guyana due to crime.
Violent crime, such as armed robbery and murder, is common. Local police lack the resources to respond effectively to serious criminal incidents.
Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Guyana:
- Be extra vigilant when visiting banks or ATMs.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Avoid walking or driving at night.
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
- Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive watches or jewelry.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Guyana.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Last Update: Reissued after periodic review without changes.