Last Update: Reissued with updates to health information.
Exercise increased caution in Eswatini due to crime and civil unrest.
Country Summary: Crime is common in Eswatini and sporadic armed robberies and carjackings do occur. Local police may lack the resources to deal effectively with criminal incidents.
Demonstrations and protests occur sporadically in Eswatini. U.S. citizens are reminded to avoid all gatherings, even peaceful ones, that could turn violent with little or no warning.
Read the country information page for additional information on travel to Eswatini.
If you decide to travel to Eswatini:
- Avoid demonstrations and crowds.
- Monitor local media for breaking events and be prepared to adjust your plans.
- Keep travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Country Security Report for Eswatini.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
- Visit the CDC page for the latest Travel Health Information related to your travel.