Travel Advisories


Travel Advisories

Cambodia Travel Advisory

Travel Advisory
January 10, 2018
Cambodia – Level 1: Exercise normal precautions

Exercise normal precautions in Cambodia. Some areas have increased risk.  Read the entire Travel Advisory. 

Exercise increased caution in:

  • Phnom Penh due to crime.
  • Very remote areas of Battambang, Banteay Meanchey, Pursat, Siem Reap, Pailin, and Kampong Thom provinces due to land mines.

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.

If you decide to travel to Cambodia:

Phnom Penh

Violent crime, such as sexual assault and homicide, is common, sometimes against foreigners. Street crime, particularly phone and bag snatchings, occurs frequently in areas where foreigners gather; resistance can result in injury. 

Do not physically resist any robbery attempt. Use caution when walking or driving at night. 

Battambang, Banteay Meanchey, Pursat, Siem Reap, Pailin, and Kampong Thom provinces

Land mines and unexploded ordnance are found in very remote areas throughout Cambodia, and especially in Battambang, Banteay Meanchey, Pursat, Siem Reap, Pailin, and Kampong Thom provinces.

Do not touch unknown metal objects; instead notify the Cambodia Mine Action Center at 012-800-473/023-995-437. Use a local guide when walking in forested areas or dry rice paddies in these areas.

Travel Advisory Levels
1 Exercise normal precautions, 2 Exercise increased caution, 3 Reconsider travel, 4 Do not travel

Kingdom of Cambodia
Quick Facts

Six months


One page is required for entry stamp






The import of local currency (Riel) is prohibited. When entering Cambodia, foreign currency amounts over US $10,000 must be declared.


The export of local currency (Riel) is prohibited. Foreign currency can be taken out of the country up to the limit declared at customs on arrival.

Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Phnom Penh

#1, St. 96 (entrance on St. 51 between St. 96 and 102), Phnom Penh
855-23-728-402, 051, or 234 Monday thru Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Emergency after-hours telephone: 855-23-728-000
Fax: 855-23-728-700

Destination Description

See the Department of State’s Fact Sheet on Cambodia for information on U.S. – Cambodia relations.

Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

You will need a valid passport and a Cambodian visa to enter Cambodia. Tourist and business visas are valid for one month from the date of entry into Cambodia. Cambodia offers on-line visa processing. You may also apply in person at the Cambodian Embassy located at 4530 16th Street NW, Washington, DC 20011, tel. 202-726-7742, fax 202-726-8381.

Tourists and business travelers may also obtain a Cambodian visa at the airports in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, and at all major border crossings. Cambodian immigration officials at airports now collect fingerprints upon entry using an inkless, electronic process. You will need two passport-sized (4cm by 6cm) photographs and a passport valid for a minimum of six months beyond the date of entry into Cambodia.

If you remain in Cambodia beyond the date of your authorized stay, Cambodian immigration officials will impose a fine of $10 per day overstayed. In cases of excessive overstays, you may be arrested for violating immigration laws, and detained as you undergo official deportation proceedings at your own expense. Deportation from Cambodia may result in your being prohibited from reentering Cambodia in the future. You should contact the nearest embassy or consulate of Cambodia or visit the Embassy of the Kingdom of Cambodia website for the most current visa information.

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Cambodia.

Safety and Security

The Department of State is concerned that individuals and groups may be planning terrorist actions against U.S. citizens and interests, as well as at sites frequented by Westerners in Southeast Asia. See Department of State’s Worldwide Caution. Extremist groups in Southeast Asia have transnational capabilities to carry out attacks against locations where Westerners congregate. U.S. citizens residing in, or traveling to, Cambodia should therefore exercise caution in clubs, discos, bars, restaurants, hotels, places of worship, schools, outdoor recreation venues, tourist areas, beach resorts, and other places frequented by foreigners. U.S. citizens should remain vigilant with regard to their personal security and avoid police action, crowds, and demonstrations. During political standoffs in November 2015 and again in May 2016, authorities deployed armed commando units; political violence broke out at the National Assembly in October 2015, injuring two lawmakers. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can quickly escalate into violence without warning as seen in January 2014 when several people were killed by security forces. National elections are scheduled for July 2018. Domestic political conflicts and anti-American rhetoric by officials may raise the overall tensions in the country. Although the Embassy has no specific information regarding any planned demonstrations or security issues at this time, we urge all U.S. citizens to exercise caution. Even demonstrations or events intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence without warning.

Land mines and unexploded ordnance are found in remote rural areas throughout Cambodia, and especially in Battambang, Banteay Meanchey, Pursat, Siem Reap, and Kampong Thom provinces. Travelers in these regions should never walk in forested areas or even in dry rice paddies without a local guide. Areas around small bridges on secondary roads are particularly dangerous. Travelers should not touch anything that resembles a mine or unexploded ordnance; they should notify the Cambodia Mine Action Center at 012-800-473/023-995-437.

To stay connected:

CRIME: Cambodia has a high crime rate, including street crime. Military weapons and explosives are readily available to criminals despite authorities’ efforts to collect and destroy such weapons. Armed robberies occur frequently, and foreign residents and visitors, including U.S. citizens, are among the victims. The Embassy has also received reports that residences and hotel rooms of U.S. citizens in Phnom Penh were burglarized while the occupants were asleep.

The most common type of theft is “snatch and grab” robbery, and anything that can be quickly grabbed is at risk: cameras, jewelry, purses, backpacks, mobile phones, etc. Exercise caution and keep belongings out of sight if you travel via “tuk-tuk,” as passengers in these open-air vehicles have been targeted by thieves. If walking along the street, make yourself less of a target by carrying bags or items in your hand or on the shoulder that is furthest from the street. If someone attempts to rob you, you should surrender your valuables immediately, since any perceived resistance may be met with physical violence, including lethal force. The U.S. Embassy has received reports of violent robberies escalating into fatalities. In September 2013, a U.S. citizen resident in Cambodia was shot in the leg during an armed robbery. In October 2013, a U.S. citizen tourist was killed on the tourist island of Koh Rong off the coast of Sihanoukville. In April 2014, a Dutch resident and her young child were stabbed to death after an intruder entered her home attempting to steal a bicycle.

Pickpockets, some of whom are beggars, are present in the markets and at the tourist sites. Sometimes they may act overly friendly, placing their hand on your shoulder or back to distract you in order to pick your pocket.

To avoid the risk of theft or confiscation of original documents, the U.S. Embassy advises its personnel and all U.S. citizens traveling to, or residing in, Cambodia to carry photocopies of their U.S. passport, driver's license, and other important documents and to leave the originals in a hotel safe or other secure place. The U.S. Embassy advises citizens not to give their passport as collateral for motorcycle rentals, hotels, etc. Local police rarely investigate reports of crime against tourists, and travelers should not expect to recover stolen items. It has also been reported that some police stations charge foreigners between $20 and $100 to file a police report.

Foreigners travelling to Cambodia should be aware of common scams targeting tourists, often  involving card games. The Embassy has received reports of U.S. citizens being approached by individuals in public locations, such as popular shopping malls, and being invited to their homes where they end up participating in card games. These are often scams to steal tourists’ money. If you find yourself a victim of one of these scams, you should contact the U.S. Embassy.

Foreigners travelling to Cambodia should be aware of crime targeting tourists involving drugged drinks. The Embassy has received reports of U.S. citizens’citizen’s drinks being drugged at bars in order to incapacitate them for theft or sexual assault. Do not accept drinks from strangers and do not leave drinks unattended.

The U.S. Embassy advises citizens to be wary of scams involving individuals claiming they are in Cambodia and need financial assistance from the U.S. The Embassy has determined that many of these requests are fraudulent and the individuals making the requests use false identities.

See the Department of State and the FBI pages for information on scams.

The U.S. Embassy advises its personnel who travel to the provinces outside of Phnom Penh to exercise caution outside the provincial towns at all times. Many rural parts of the country remain without effective policing. Avoid walking alone after dusk anywhere in Sihanoukville, especially along the waterfront. You should be particularly vigilant during annual festivals and at tourist sites in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, and Sihanoukville, where there have been marked increases in motorcycle “snatch and grab” thefts of bags and purses.

If you are visiting Cambodia, you should practice sound personal security awareness by varying your routes and routines, maintaining a low profile, not carrying or displaying large amounts of cash, not wearing flashy or expensive jewelry, and not walking alone after dark. In addition, you should travel by automobile and not use local moto-taxis or cyclos (passenger-carrying bicycles). These vehicles are more vulnerable to armed robberies and offer no protection against injury when involved in traffic accidents.

U.S. citizens are advised not to engage in commercial surrogacy arrangements in Cambodia at this time. In October 2016, the Government of Cambodia issued an official proclamation banning commercial surrogacy in Cambodia. Those with surrogacy cases already in progress should consult a lawyer and contact the U.S. Embassy with any questions. Please keep in mind that U.S. citizens and other foreigners in Cambodia are subject to Cambodian laws and procedures.

VICTIMS OF CRIME: Report crimes to the local police and contact the U.S. Embassy at 023-728-402, 051, or 234. Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting the crime.

U.S. citizen victims of sexual assault should contact the U.S. Embassy first.

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • help you find appropriate medical care
  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • provide a list of local attorneys
  • provide our information on victim’s compensation programs in the U.S.
  • provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution
  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home
  • replace a stolen or lost passport

Domestic Violence: U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the Embassy for assistance.

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

CRIMINAL PENALTIES: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned. Penalties for possessing, using, or trafficking in illegal drugs in Cambodia are severe, and convicted offenders can expect long jail sentences and heavy fines. If you break local laws in Cambodia, your U.S. passport won’t help you avoid arrest or prosecution. Prison conditions in Cambodia are sub-standard and over crowded, with little access to health care or basic nutritional requirements.

There are also some things that might be legal in the country you visit, but still illegal in the United States. You can be prosecuted in the United States for engaging in sexual conduct with children or for using or disseminating child pornography in a foreign country regardless of the legality of these activities under that country’s laws. Counterfeit and pirated goods are illegal in the United States and if you purchase them in a foreign country, you may be breaking local law as well.

Arrest notifications: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. See our webpage for further information.

Faith-Based Travelers: See our following webpages for details:

LGBTI Travelers: While there are no legal restrictions on same-sex sexual relations or the organization of LGBTI events in Cambodia, same sex marriage is not permitted.

See our LGBTI Travel Information page and section 6 of our  Human Rights report for further details.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance. While in Cambodia, individuals with disabilities may find accessibility and accommodation very different from what they find in the United States. Currently, except for buildings and hotels that have been built under international standards, most public places and public transportation are not accessible. Persons with disabilities will face difficulties with Cambodia’s sidewalks, rest rooms, road crossings, and tourist areas.

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Women Travelers: There have been reports of sexual assaults in the vicinity of drinking establishments and possible date rape drugs being used to incapacitate female travellers. See our travel tips for Women Travelers.

Water Festival: During this annual festival, which takes place in Phnom Penh in November, the population increases significantly as millions of Cambodians from every town and province flock to the capital for three days. You should avoid crowded areas near the riverfront during the Water Festival holiday.

Customs: Cambodian customs authorities may enforce strict regulations concerning temporary importation into or export from Cambodia of items such as drugs, firearms, antiquities, or ivory. It is advisable to contact the Embassy of Cambodia in Washington for specific information regarding customs requirements.

Ban on Insulting Monarchy:  There are freedom of speech restrictions in Cambodia. Anyone who criticizes or insults the King by any means could face between one to five years in prison. This ban includes insults, or criticism made online and via social media.  

Dual Nationality: Dual nationality is allowed under Cambodia's 1996 nationality law. However, if you have Cambodian nationality and possess another nationality, you may be viewed as a Cambodian citizen in any court proceedings and face stricter sentences.

Business Transactions: Some U.S. citizens have reported threats of personal injury, extortion, detention, or kidnapping related to personal business disputes, in particular those involving real estate. If you are planning to engage in real estate deals or other significant financial transactions, please proceed with caution and retain the appropriate legal counsel.

Financial Transactions: The U.S. dollar is widely used, especially for larger transactions, and most prices are quoted in dollars. Ripped or torn U.S. bills are not accepted. The Cambodian riel can also be used, but it is less favored and is mostly given to tourists as change for dollar purchases. The riel is commonly used in smaller towns and rural areas. Credit cards are increasingly accepted within Cambodia, and a number of banks in Phnom Penh accept Visa cards for cash advances. Credit cards are often subject to a service charge. Banks and major hotels accept travelers' checks but usually charge a service fee. Several international banks operate ATM machines that allow travelers to obtain U.S. dollar currency in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, and other urban centers. Personal checks are not generally accepted. Several banks serve as Western Union agents, to which funds can be wired, including in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and other provincial cities. Information on Western Union can be found at their website.

Photography: Taking photographs of anything that could be perceived as being of military or security interest — including government buildings, military installations, airfields, and bridges — may result in problems with the authorities and confiscation of your camera.


Medical facilities and services in Cambodia do not meet international standards. Both Phnom Penh and Siem Reap have a limited number of internationally-run clinics and hospitals that can provide basic medical care and stabilization. Medical care outside of these two cities is almost non-existent. Local pharmacies provide a limited supply of prescription and over-the-counter medications, but because the quality of locally obtained medications can vary greatly, make sure to bring a supply of your medications that is adequate for the duration of your stay in Cambodia. You should be wary of purchasing local medication. Counterfeit medication is readily available, often indiscernible from authentic medication, and potentially lethal.

We do not pay medical bills. Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas.

Medical Insurance: Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most care providers overseas only accept cash payments. See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage.

We strongly recommend supplemental insurance to cover medical evacuation.

If traveling with prescription medication, check with the government of Cambodia to ensure the medication is legal in Cambodia. Always, carry your prescription medication in original packaging with your doctor’s prescription.

Be careful if purchasing off-brand medication from pharmacies in Cambodia. Drugs sold in pharmacies can be fake and possibly dangerous. In 2017 two backpackers reportedly died from ingesting locally purchased over-the-counter medicine for food poisoning.

Tuberculosis is an increasingly serious health concern in Cambodia. For further information, please consult the CDC's information on TB.

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Further health information:

Travel and Transportation

Road Condition and Safety: You should not drive at night in Cambodia outside of city limits. Roads between major areas are adequate; however, roads leading to rural areas are poor. During the rainy season, road conditions deteriorate considerably, and roadside assistance is non-existent. Cambodian drivers routinely ignore traffic laws, and vehicles are poorly maintained. Intoxicated drivers are commonplace, particularly during the evening hours. Travel is recommended in daylight between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. There are also frequent bus accidents, including one in 2013 when a bus crossed the center line and crashed into a car in which six foreign family members were traveling, killing three and critically injuring three.

Serious flooding occurs throughout Cambodia from June through November. Travel on unpaved or dirt roads is virtually impossible after heavy rainfall. The National Route highways are the only roads that can be traveled with caution during this time of the year.

Traffic Laws: In the event you are in a traffic accident, you should cooperate with the police. You should also contact your insurance company for guidance in dealing with the other party and the police. To avoid the risk of theft or confiscation of original documents, the U.S. Embassy advises its personnel and all U.S. citizens traveling to, or residing in, Cambodia to carry photocopies of their U.S. passport, driver's license, and other important documents and to leave the originals in a hotel safe or other secure place.

While in Cambodia, you may encounter road conditions that differ significantly from those in the United States. Traffic in Cambodia is composed of a mix of automobiles, motorcycles, bicycles, and tuk tuks. As a result of poor roads, intoxication, and disregard for traffic laws, traffic accidents are a common occurance. You should exercise great caution in moving through the country, regardless of mode of transportation.

Public Transportation: Travelers should exercise caution when using inter-city buses, including those to popular tourist destinations such as Siem Reap and Sihanoukville. Despite the wide availability of moto-taxis, you should not use them due to safety concerns. Be vigilant when traveling by “tuk-tuk” or “cyclo” because personal belongings can be easily stolen. Organized emergency services for victims of traffic accidents are non-existent outside of major urban areas, and those available in major urban areas are inadequate.

See our Road Safety page for more information. Visit the website of Cambodia’s national tourist office and national authority responsible for road safety.

AVIATION SAFETY OVERSIGHT: As there is no direct commercial air service to the United States by carriers registered in Cambodia, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has not assessed the government of Cambodia’s Civil Aviation Authority for compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards. Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page.

Maritime Travel: Mariners planning travel to Cambodia should also check for U.S. maritime advisories and alerts at Information may also be posted to the U.S. Coast Guard homeport website (, and the NGA broadcast warnings website (select “broadcast warnings”).

Hague Convention Participation
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention?
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention?
What You Can Do
Learn how to respond to abductions FROM the US
Learn how to respond to abductions TO the US
Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Phnom Penh

#1, St. 96 (entrance on St. 51 between St. 96 and 102), Phnom Penh
855-23-728-402, 051, or 234 Monday thru Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Emergency after-hours telephone: 855-23-728-000
Fax: 855-23-728-700

General Information


For information concerning travel to Cambodia, including information about the location of the U.S. Embassy, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for Cambodia.

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on International Parental Child Abduction (IPCA).  The report is located here.

Hague Abduction Convention

Cambodia is not a signatory to the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention), nor are there any bilateral agreements in force between Cambodia and the United States concerning international parental child abduction.



Legal systems and laws pertaining to custody, divorce, and parental abduction vary widely from country to country.  Parents are encouraged to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law in Cambodia and who can provide accurate legal guidance that is specific to their circumstances. 


The Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizens Services, Office of Children’s Issues provides assistance in cases of international parental child abduction.  For U.S. citizen parents whose children have been wrongfully removed to or retained in countries that are not U.S. partners under the Hague Abduction Convention, the Office of Children’s Issues can provide information and resources about country-specific options for pursuing the return of or access to an abducted child.  The Office of Children’s Issues may also coordinate with appropriate foreign and U.S. government authorities about the welfare of abducted U.S. citizen children.  Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance.

Contact information:

United States Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs
Office of Children's
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Telephone:  1-888-407-4747
Outside the United States or Canada: 1-202-501-4444

Parental child abduction is not a crime in Cambodia.

Parents may wish to consult with an attorney in the United States and in the country to which the child has been removed or retained to learn more about how filing criminal charges may impact a custody case in the foreign court.  Please see Pressing Criminal Charges for more information.  




Legal systems and laws pertaining to custody, divorce, and parental abduction vary widely from country to country.  Parents are encouraged to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law in Cambodia and who can provide accurate legal guidance that is specific to their circumstances.

The Office of Children’s Issues may be able to assist parents seeking access to children who have been wrongfully removed from or retained outside the United States.   Parents who are seeking access to children who were not wrongfully removed from or retained outside the United States should contact the appropriate U.S. Embassy or Consulate in Cambodia for information and possible assistance.

Retaining an Attorney

Neither the Office of Children’s Issues nor consular officials at the U.S. Embassy in Cambodia are authorized to provide legal advice.

The U.S. Embassy in Phnom Penh posts list of attorneys, including those who specialize in family law.

This list is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the following persons or firms. Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the lawyers.  


Mediation is a possible remedy for both abduction and access cases.  Although the government of Cambodia does not have a formal mediation service for family matters, some local law firms may provide alternative dispute resolution services.

Exercising Custody Rights

While travelling in a foreign country, you are subject to the laws of that country. It is important for parents to understand that, although a left-behind parent in the United States may have custody or visitation rights pursuant to a U.S. custody order, that order may not be valid and enforceable in the country in which the child is located.  For this reason, we strongly encourage you to speak to a local attorney if planning to remove a child from a foreign country without the consent of the other parent.  Attempts to remove your child to the United States may:

  • Endanger your child and others;
  • Prejudice any future judicial efforts; and
  • Could result in your arrest and imprisonment.

The U.S. government cannot interfere with another country’s court or law enforcement system.

To understand the legal effect of a U.S. order in a foreign country, a parent should consult with a local attorney in the country in which the child is located.  

For information about hiring an attorney abroad, see our section on Retaining a Foreign Attorney. 

Although we cannot recommend an attorney to you, most U.S. Embassies have lists of attorneys available online. Please visit the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate website for a full listing.

For more information on consular assistance for U.S. citizens arrested abroad, please see our website.

Country officers are available to speak with you Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  For assistance with an abduction in progress or any emergency situation that occurs after normal business hours, on weekends, or federal holidays, please call toll free at 1-888-407-4747. See all contact information.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this flyer is provided for general information only, is not intended to be legal advice, and may change without notice. Questions involving interpretation of law should be addressed to an attorney licensed in the relevant jurisdiction. 


Hague Convention Participation
Hague Adoption Convention Country?
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

Cambodia is party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention). Therefore all adoptions between Cambodia and the United States must meet the requirements of the Convention and U.S. law implementing the Convention.

Intercountry adoption is not possible from Cambodia at this time. 

On December 21, 2001 the processing of adoption petitions for Cambodia was suspended. This decision was based on numerous concerns related to fraud in Cambodia, as well as the lack of sufficient local legal frameworks and other safeguards to protect the children's best interests. Due to continued concerns, U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS) remains unable to approve any form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative, filed on behalf of a child to be adopted from Cambodia. The USCIS suspension remains in effect for all I-600 forms that have been filed. 

Based on the existing issues of fraud and irregularity in Cambodia, the Department of State (DOS) has reconfirmed the suspension of adoptions under the Hague process in Cambodia. It has been determined that at this time Cambodia is not meeting its obligations under The Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption. For these reasons the DOS remains unable to issue the required Hague Certificate or Hague Custody Declaration for any form I-800, Application for Determination of Suitability to Adopt a Child from a Convention country. The Department of State will continue to monitor the situation in Cambodia and will provide updates as soon as they are available.

Who Can Adopt
enter text here
Who Can Be Adopted
enter text here
How to Adopt
enter text here
Traveling Abroad
enter text here
After Adoption
enter text here
Contact Information

The Embassy of the United States of America, Phnom Penh 
Consular Section
#1, Street 96
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Tel: (855-23) 728-000
Fax: (855-23) 728-600

Cambodia's Adoption Authority
No. 788, Preah Monivong Blvd.,
Sangkat Boeung Trabek,
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Tel: (+855)-23-211-848 

Embassy of Cambodia 
The Royal Embassy of Cambodia
4530 16th Street, N.W.,
Washington, D.C., 20011,
Tel. 202-726-7742

Office of Children's issues
U.S. Department of State  
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Tel: 1-888-407-4747

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) 
For questions about immigration procedures, call the National Customer Service Center (NCSC)
1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833).

Reciprocity Schedule

Select a visa category below to find the visa issuance fee, number of entries, and validity period for visas issued to applicants from this country*/area of authority.

Explanation of Terms

Visa Classification: The type of nonimmigrant visa you are applying for.

Fee: The reciprocity fee, also known as the visa issuance fee, you must pay. This fee is in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee (MRV fee).

Number of Entries: The number of times you may seek entry into the United States with that visa. "M" means multiple times. If there is a number, such as "One", you may apply for entry one time with that visa.

Validity Period: This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used, from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel with that visa. If your Validity Period is 60 months, your visa will be valid for 60 months from the date it is issued.

Visa Classifications
Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 12 Months
A-2 None Multiple 12 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 12 Months
B-1 None Two 3 Months
B-2 None Two 3 Months
B-1/B-2 None Two 3 Months
C-1 None Multiple 3 Months
C-1/D N/A N/A N/A
C-2 None Multiple 3 Months
C-3 None Multiple 3 Months
CW-1 11 None One 1 Month
CW-2 11 None One 1 Month
D None Two 12 Months
E-1 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2C 12 None One 3 Months
F-1 None Two 3 Months
F-2 None Two 3 Months
G-1 None Multiple 12 Months
G-2 None Multiple 12 Months
G-3 None Multiple 12 Months
G-4 None Multiple 12 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 12 Months
H-1B None One 1 Month 3
H-1C None One 1 Month 3
H-2A None N/A N/A3
H-2B None N/A N/A3
H-2R None One 1 Month 3
H-3 None One 1 Month 3
H-4 None One 1 Month 3
I None One 3 Months
J-1 4 None One 3 Months
J-2 4 None One 3 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None One 3 Months
L-2 None One 3 Months
M-1 None Two 3 Months
M-2 None Two 3 Months
N-8 None Multiple 12 Months
N-9 None Multiple 12 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 None One 3 Months 3
O-2 None One 3 Months 3
O-3 None One 3 Months 3
P-1 None One 3 Months 3
P-2 None One 3 Months 3
P-3 None One 3 Months 3
P-4 None One 3 Months 3
Q-1 6 None One 3 Months 3
R-1 None One 3 Months
R-2 None One 3 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8
Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes
  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents

Documents are available for all births, marriages and deaths since 1992. Documents are available for some births, marriages and deaths since 1980. Because all archives were destroyed during the regime of 1975-1979, no documents from those years are available.   

The Cambodian government has embarked on a new civil registration campaign. The Ministry of Interior introduced procedural changes in August 2002, requiring all Cambodians to obtain a new version of certificates of birth, marriage and death. Persons with previously issued certificates are required to convert them to the new format. The old version of the certificates became invalid as of January 2007. Persons are issued colored original birth, marriage and death certificates.  Additional official black-and-white certified true copies may also be requested. 

Starting January 2007, the retroactive issuance of any certificates will be charged. Please note that such documents are based on information provided by the requestor.     

By law, contemporaneous civil documents are issued free of charge. However, Cambodians are generally asked to pay some fees to officials to expedite the issuance of the documents. 

Cambodian law expects citizens to retain their original civil documents for life. Using the originals, citizens may request official certified true copies at the Commune Councils where the originals were issued. Replacements for lost originals may or may not be available. Certified true copies should be available and will be titled “copy”.    

Despite the changes, Cambodian documents are of poor quality, using low-tech and inexpensive methods. They are often prone to forgery. The Embassy may verify authenticity of a given document with the relevant authorities when necessary.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates



Commune Councils are charged with issuing birth certificates. Cambodians are required to apply for the certificates at the Commune Council covering the area in which they reside, although the birth might have occurred in another area, such as the capital Phnom Penh. Birth certificates are issued to all Cambodian citizens. Cambodians who had never had a birth certificate prior to August 2002 and expatriate Cambodian will be issued "Certified birth certificates". Birth certificates and certified birth certificates are green in color.     

Death/Burial Certificates


Commune Councils are charged with issuing death certificates. Cause of death is not listed on Cambodian death certificates. Death certificates and the certified death certificates are yellow.  Death certificates are issued based on a request from a requestor who provides proof of a death, such as a hospital record, accident police report, cremation certificate, etc. A certified death certificate is issued based on a request from a requestor who cannot provide proof of a death.

Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Marriage Certificates


Commune Councils are charged with issuing marriage certificates. The date of registration is the legal date of marriage, not the date of the ceremony. The color of the marriage certificate and the certified marriage certificate is blue.  

Divorce Decrees


Divorce decrees are valid only when issued by the Provincial and Municipal courts. They are written in Khmer only – bilingual Khmer/en decrees are not valid. It is possible for either party to a divorce to designate a representative to appear for them in court (usually an attorney).

Adoption Certificates


Identity Card


As of June 2007, all Cambodians over the age of 15 must have a national ID card. There are two versions of the card. Cards issued before October 2007 are laminated heavy paper. On the front, there is a dark red decorative border, a digitized picture, biographic information (in Khmer), a national ID number, and a stylized drawing of Angkor Watt temple radiating wavy lines. On the back, there is fingerprint, a red seal from the issuing office, and the signature of an official from the issuing office. After October 2007, cards are white plastic with no decorative border and a photograph of Angkor Watt temple – the other features are the same.

Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Records/ Criminal Records


Police records can be obtained at the Criminal Records Office of the Ministry of Justice, at #14, Samdech Sothearos (3). The individual requesting the police record must appear in person.  However, if the individual is not currently in Cambodia, he/she can authorize someone to obtain the Police Record on his/her behalf. The processing time can be between 12 to 20 days, depending on the fee. Foreigners also can get a Police Record from the office. The original is green in color and is written in Khmer only.

Court Records


Military Records


Passports & Other Travel Documents

Matters regarding the use of Diplomatic, Official, and Normal Passports of the Kingdom of Cambodia under the Royal Government's sub-decree dated August 14, 2000, follow.

A diplomatic passport is issued only to dignitaries and Cambodian Government officials during official visits and missions abroad. In the case of dignitaries or government officials leaving the country for unofficial purposes, a Normal Passport is to be used.

Individuals, member of the families and their children under the age of 18 are eligible to hold a Diplomatic Passport. They are as follows:

  • King
  • Queen
  • President and Vice President of the Senate
  • President and Vice President of the Parliament
  • President and Members of the Council of Magistracy
  • Prime Minister
  • Deputy Prime Minister
  • Senior Minister
  • Ministers
  • Governor of Cambodian National Bank
  • President of the Supreme Court
  • Supreme Prosecutor
  • Secretary General
  • Deputy in Chief of Cambodian Armed Forces
  • General Director of Cambodian National Police
  • Dignitaries titled Samdech
  • Former President and Vice President of the Parliament
  • Former Prime Ministers
  • Former Minister of Foreign Affairs
  • Cambodian Diplomats working abroad

Individuals whose members of families are not eligible to hold a Diplomatic Passport are as follows:

  • Members of the Senate
  • Members of the Parliament
  • Vice President of the National Election Committee
  • Members of the Supreme Council of Magistracy
  • Secretary Governor of the Cambodian National Bank
  • Officials of the Public Functions ranking from Military Personnel in the position from the Head of General Department:
    • Deputy in Chief
    • Coalition Commander
    • Coalition Deputy Commander
    • Commander of Armed Forces
    • Commander of Aviation Forces
    • Commander of Navy Forces
    • Commander of Police Forces
  • Police Personnel whose rank is Deputy Director or National Police
  • Counselors whose rank is from Under Secretary
  • Former Deputy Prime Ministers
  • Governors and Vice Governors of Phnom Penh Municipality
  • Governors of Province
  • Directors of Protocol Department of the King
  • Prime Minister
  • Senate
  • Parliament and Ministry of Foreign Affairs

Those eligible for an Official Passport are as follows:

  • Government Officials
  • Military
  • Police personnel
  • Monks for official visits or missions abroad

Other Records

Educational Records


1- National High School Examination and Certificates

Cambodia has an annual national high school examination. No exams were held from 1975 to 1982. Official results certificates are issued by the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport.

The exam is usually held sometimes in July and it is a 2.5 day exam. Applicants were tested on 9 subjects until 2005 and on 10 subjects thereafter.

It takes at least one year or longer to receive the formal certificate (“Certificate of Upper-Secondary Education”) after examinations take place, due to budgetary constraints and the workload related to the number of students who pass the exam each year.

Prior to the issuance of the formal certificate, “Certificate of Upper-Secondary Education”, the Ministry will issue a “Temporary Certificate” which formally called “Provisional Certificate of Upper-Secondary Education” or “Provisional Certificate of Senior Secondary Education” to all students no matter they passed or failed the exam. If they passed the exam, the certificate will say they passed the exam and it is vice versa for the applicant who failed the exam.

However, between year 2002 and 2006, instead of a “Provisional Certificate of Upper-Secondary Education”, the Ministry issued a “bulletin result or transcript” which was formally called a “Result of Examination of Diploma of High School” or “Result of Examination of Upper-Secondary Education” to all students who passed the exam.  This was done because the workload of the Ministry was too high.

It takes about 2 months to receive “The Provisional Certificate of Upper-Secondary Education” or “The Result Examination of Upper-Secondary Education” after the examination takes place.

2- Formats of Certificates

a. Provisional Certificate of Upper-Secondary Education

The certificates issued in 2008 and 2009 are computer generated, in blue and multi- color ink, with a wet seal on A4 plain paper and a digital picture of the applicant.

The certificate issued in 2007 and before 2007 were also computer generated which were similar to 2008 and 2009 certificate. The differences are (1) the Ministry used a dry seal, (2) ¾ length sheet and (3) they did not use digital photo.

The “Provisional Certificate of Upper-Secondary Education” has no stylistic border and there is only one signature, which is the signature of director of department of secondary education.

The certificate issued in 2007 and afterward have the barcode at the bottom left of the certificate.

b. Result Examination of Upper-Secondary Education

The “Provisional Certificate of Upper-Secondary Education” and “Result Examination of Upper-Secondary Education” are largely the same.

Some “The Result of Examination of Upper-Secondary Education” issued in 2006 and before 2006 had photo of the student while some do not have.  However, the photo is not a digital photo. The one issued in 2007 and after have a digital photo, all of them. Both styles are on A4 plain paper and computer generated, and most of information is in blue ink.

The “Result of Examination of Upper-Secondary Education” has no stylistic border and there is only one signature, a digital signature, which is the signature of the director of department of secondary education.

c. Certificate of Upper-Secondary Education

From 2002 up to the present, the Ministry has issued a “Certificate of Upper-Secondary Education” which contains information such as the student’s score for each subject studied, the grade for each subject, the number of subjects on the student’s exam, and a national percentile score.  The background of the certificate is the logo of the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport (prior to 2002, there was no logo). The certificate is on A4 paper with a stylistic border, is generated primarily in blue ink (parts of the certificate are multicolored), has a digital picture of the student and a wet seal from the Ministry.

Visa Issuing Posts
Visa Services

All visa categories for all of Cambodia.

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information

Washington, DC (202) 997-7031 (202) 726-7742 (202) 726-8381

Assistance for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Embassy Phnom Penh
#1, St. 96 (entrance on St. 51 between
St. 96 and 102), Phnom Penh
Cambodia Map

Search for Travel Advisories
Additional Information for Reciprocity

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.