Travel Advisories


Travel Advisories

Burma (Myanmar) Travel Advisory

Travel Advisory
January 10, 2018
Burma (Myanmar) - Level 1: Exercise Normal Precautions

Exercise normal precautions in Burma. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.    

Do not travel to:

  • Maungdaw, Rathedaung, and Buthitaung townships in Rakhine State due to civil unrest.

Exercise increased caution in:

  • Parts of Kachin State due to civil unrest and land mines.
  • Northern Shan State due to civil unrest and land mines.
  • Parts of Rakhine and Chin States due to civil unrest and land mines.

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.

If you decide to travel to Burma:

Maungdaw, Rathedaung, and Buthitaung townships

These townships are subject to frequent civil unrest.

The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in northern Rakhine State (Buthidaung, Maungdaw, Rathedaung, and Sittwe townships) as U.S. government employees must obtain special authorization to travel to these locations. 

Review information on Travel to High-Risk Areas.

Parts of Kachin State, northern Shan State, and parts of Rakhine and Chin States

Fighting between the Burmese military and armed groups continues in several border regions. Land mines and unexploded ordnance have injured foreign tourists in conflict affected areas. Exercise normal precautions in the Puta-O tourist area in Kachin State and the Ngapali Beach tourist areas in Rakhine State. 

The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in some of these areas due to Burmese government travel restrictions on U.S. government employees.

Review information on Travel to High-Risk Areas.    

Travel Advisory Levels
1 Exercise normal precautions, 2 Exercise increased caution, 3 Reconsider travel, 4 Do not travel

Union of Burma
Quick Facts

6 Months


One page required for entry stamp




Yellow fever may be required if arriving from certain countries with yellow fever


Amounts in excess of USD 10,000 must be declared upon entry


Amounts in excess of USD 10,000 must be declared upon exit

Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Rangoon

110 University Ave
Kamayut Township,
Rangoon, Burma

Telephone: (95) 1-536-509
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: (95) 1-536-509
Fax: (951)-511-069

Destination Description

See the Department of State’s Fact Sheet on Burma for information on U.S. – Burma relations. 

Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

The Government of Burma controls travel to, from, and within Burma. To enter Burma, you must have a valid passport with at least six months remaining validity and a valid visa. You should apply for your visa at a Burmese embassy or consulate abroad before you arrive in Burma. In Burma, you will be required to show your passport with a valid visa at all airports, train stations, and hotels. Security checkpoints are common outside of tourist areas.

Visa Information: The Government of Burma's eVisa program allows tourists and business travelers to apply for a visa online rather than physically applying at an embassy or consulate:

  • You are generally notified within a few days whether you have been pre-approved for a visa.
  • You must present the approval letter at Immigration when you enter Burma.
  • Once you are approved for the visa, the visa needs to be used within three months.
  • Apply at: Myanmar eVisa (Official Government Website). Be aware that non-official websites may be scam websites. 

The Government of Burma has a visas-on-arrival program for certain business travelers. The program is available only to those with a formal letter of invitation from a business registered with the Burmese Ministry of Commerce, NOT to tourists.

There is also a meditation visa for visitors planning long-term studies at monasteries and meditation centers.

You can get information about entry requirements as well as other information from the Embassy of Burma’s website. The Embassy is located at 2300 S Street NW, Washington, D.C. 20008. Telephone: 202-332-4350. The Permanent Mission of Burma to the UN is located at 10 East 77th St., New York, NY 10021. Telephone: 212-535-1311 or 212-744-1271. Fax: 212-744-1290.

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Burma.

Find information on dual nationalityprevention of international child abduction and customs regulations on our websites.

Safety and Security

Messages regarding security-related events are posted on the Embassy’s website.

Fighting between the Burmese military and various ethnic armed groups and militia forces continues in several border regions including Kachin, northern Shan and parts of Rakhine and Chin States. Travelers should exercise caution when traveling to these areas.

Violence and the breakdown in law and order in northern Rakhine State following the August 25, 2017 attacks by the Arakan Rohingya Salvation Army (ARSA) has displaced hundreds of thousands and resulted in civilian casualties. The U.S. Embassy in Rangoon currently advises against travel to northern Rakhine State – defined as Maungdaw, Rathedaung, and Buthidaung townships.

Land mines and unexploded ordinance: Conflict-affected areas are of greatest concern, particularly areas of Shan, Chin, and Kachin States. The location of landmines is often not marked or otherwise identifiable. In April 2016, two German tourists were injured by shrapnel when they triggered a mine near rural Kyaukme Township in northern Shan State.

The Ministry of Hotels and Tourism retains information on restricted areas. Due to travel restrictions placed on U.S. diplomats by the Government of Burma, our ability to assist U.S. citizens affected by incidents in remote and/or conflict-affected areas of Burma may be limited.

Crime: Crime rates in Burma, especially involving foreigners, are lower than those of many other countries in the region. Nevertheless, the crime rate has been increasing, particularly home burglaries and petty crime. Violent crime against foreigners is rare, but there have been incidents involving attacks by taxi drivers and muggings. Citizens are advised to take particular care when taking taxis late at night.

See the Department of State and the FBI pages for information on scams.

Victims of Crime:

Report crimes to the local police at 199 or in person at the police station in the district where the crime took place, and contact the U.S. Embassy at +(95) (1) 536-509, ext. 4240, Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(95) 1 500-547. Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting the crime.

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • help you find appropriate medical care
  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • provide a list of local attorneys
  • provide information on victim’s compensation programs in the United States
  • provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution
  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home
  • replace a stolen or lost passport

Domestic Violence: U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the Embassy for assistance.

Disaster Preparedness

  • Cyclones and Tropical Storms: Travel conditions deteriorate significantly and cyclones may occur in two, three-month seasons peaking in May and November, respectively. In addition, intense rainfall and squalls may occur during the rainy season (approximately June to October annually). Travelers are encouraged to prepare for cyclone emergencies and monitor local news stations when cyclones are forecast. The Myanmar Department of Meteorology and Hydrology has a color- coded system for storm systems: red for storms approaching landfall in Burma, orange for storms moving towards Burma, yellow for developing storms, and brown for current storms. Additional information on storm preparedness may be found on our Tropical Storm Season - Know Before You Go webpage.
  • Earthquakes: Earthquakes can occur throughout Burma. Check here for information about earthquake preparedness.

The Department of Homeland Security’s page has numerous resources on emergency kits, preparing for disasters and developing emergency plans:

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned. 

Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the U.S., regardless of local law. For examples, see our webpage on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Burmese law forbids Burmese citizens from possessing dual nationality. On occasion, Burmese authorities have detained and pursued criminal proceedings against Burmese-Americans who have returned to Burma on U.S. passports and who have had in their possession evidence of Burmese citizenship, such as a National Registration Card.

Under the Burmese Motor Vehicle Act of 1964, driving while intoxicated is punishable by either six months in jail, or a 500 kyat (equivalent to USD 50 cents) fine, or both.

Sentences for immigration violations include deportation, fines, and prison terms.

Under Burmese law, insulting religion is a prosecutable offense. ‘Insult’ is a very broad term that could include tattoos or other religious representations in a non-religious context.  Images of the Buddha can be particularly sensitive. In 2016, a tourist was deported for allegedly having a tattoo of the Buddha on his leg. As in any country, visitors are encouraged to be respectful of local customs when visiting religious sites.

You may be prosecuted for posting seemingly negative or derogatory comments on social media, including Facebook, under the 2013 Telecommunications Law, which criminalizes “extortion of any person, coercion, unlawful restriction, defamation, interfering, undue influence, or intimidation using a telecommunications network”. If convicted, you may face a fine and/or imprisonment. 

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. See our webpage for further information.

Should you be detained, especially outside of Rangoon, we may not be able to assist quickly. Law enforcement officials do not routinely notify us of the arrest of U.S. citizens, and prison officials have been known to obstruct regular access by consular officers to U.S. citizen detainees.

Faith-Based Travelers: See the Department of State’s International Religious Freedom Report.

LGBTI Travelers: Consensual same-sex sexual activity is illegal under section 377 of the Burmese penal code, which has provisions against “sexually abnormal” behavior and entails punishments up to life imprisonment. Laws against “unnatural offenses” apply equally to men and women. These laws are rarely enforced. However, LGBTI persons have reported that police used the threat of prosecution to extort bribes. LGBTI activists have also reported allegations of rape by security forces in some cases, arbitrary arrest (for example for loitering), detention, and broad societal and familial discrimination.

See our LGBTI Travel Information page and section 6 of our Human Rights report for further details.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance: Individuals with disabilities should be prepared to face difficulties throughout Burma. Roads and sidewalks are often difficult to cross. Ramps or handicapped-accessible facilities are rare. 

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Women Travelers: See our travel tips for Women Travelers.


Most medical facilities in Burma are inadequate for routine medical care. If you are seeking medical care in Burma, you will be asked to pay cash for all health care services and medicines before receiving care; credit cards are not accepted in most health care facilities and insurance will not be billed. Adequate Emergency Medical Services including ambulance care is not reliably available. Patients who are admitted to public hospitals typically need a family member or friend to assist them with care in the hospital, and food and medical supplies must be purchased for use in the hospital. Few medical personnel in Burma are trained to U.S. standards. U.S. citizens needing urgent medical care have been denied treatment at public hospitals due to a lack of funds. In an emergency, you would likely need to be medically evacuated to a hospital outside Burma. Medical evacuation from Burma is expensive and is most often transacted in cash, therefore medical evacuation insurance is advised.

We do not pay medical bills. Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas.

Medical Insurance: Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most care providers overseas only accept cash payments. See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage.

We strongly recommend supplemental insurance to cover medical evacuation

Medication: Many pharmaceuticals on sale in Burma are counterfeit or adulterated, or may not be available. Travelers should consider Burmese pharmaceuticals generally unsafe to use and should bring their own medications for the duration of their stay in Burma.

If traveling with prescription medication, check with the Government of Burma to ensure that the medication is legal in Burma. Always carry your prescription medication in original packaging with your doctor’s prescription.

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. See the CDC’s Burma-specific information on vaccinations and prevalence of the following diseases:

  • Hepatitis A and B
  • Typhoid
  • Cholera
  • Malaria
  • Japanese Encephalitis
  • Rabies

Travelers’ Diarrhea: Because Travelers’ Diarrhea is common, travelers should follow safe food and water recommendations, including eating food that is cooked and served hot and drinking only bottled water. Oral rehydration solution is helpful in severe cases of diarrhea and is usually available in pharmacies.

The following diseases are prevalent:

  • Tuberculosis
  • Malaria
  • Dengue fever
  • Other insect-borne infections including chikungunya, scrub typhus, and Japanese encephalitis
  • Hepatitis
  • Zika Virus

Zika Virus: Zika virus is a mosquito-borne illness, typically transmitted by the day-biting Aedes aegypti mosquito that can be spread from a pregnant woman to her unborn baby as well as through sexual contact and blood transfusion. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has concluded that the Zika virus is a cause of microcephaly and other neurological conditions. For general information and the latest updates about Zika and steps to prevent mosquito bites and sexual exposure to the virus, please visit the CDC website.

Further health information:

Travel and Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety: Rangoon's roads are generally in poor condition and have traffic congestion throughout the day. Slow-moving vehicles, bicycles, animals, and heavy pedestrian traffic create numerous hazards for drivers on Rangoon's streets. If you drive in Burma, remain alert to avoid hitting pedestrians. If you are a pedestrian, remain alert even when you believe you have the right of way.

Most roads outside of Rangoon have one to two lanes and are potholed, often unpaved, and unlit at night. Many of the truck drivers traveling between China and Rangoon reportedly travel under the influence of methamphetamines and other stimulants. Drunken and/or drugged drivers are common during the four-day Buddhist water festival in mid-April.

Driving at night is particularly dangerous. Most Burmese drivers do not turn on their headlights until the sky is completely dark. Many do not use headlights at all. Many bicyclists use no lights or reflectors.

Traffic Laws: Vehicles drive on the right side as in the United States. However, a majority of vehicles have the steering wheel positioned on the right. The “right of way” concept is generally respected, but military convoys and motorcades always have precedence. Vehicles generally lack seat belts. Child car seats are unavailable.

Most accidents are settled between the parties on site, with the party at fault paying the damages. In the event of an accident with a pedestrian, the driver is always considered to be at fault and subject to fines or arrest, regardless of the circumstances. Roadside assistance and ambulances are unavailable.

Public Transportation: Please refer to our Road Safety page for more information.

Aviation Safety Oversight: As there is no direct commercial air service to the United States by carriers registered in Burma, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has not assessed the Government of Burma’s Civil Aviation Authority for compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards. Further information may be found on the FAA safety assessment page.

Maritime Travel: Mariners planning travel to Burma should also check for U.S. maritime advisories and alerts at Information may also be posted to the U.S. Coast Guard homeport website (, and the NGA broadcast warnings website (select “broadcast warnings”).

Hague Convention Participation
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention?
enter text here
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention?
enter text here
Learn why the Hague Abduction Convention Matters.
What You Can Do
Learn how to respond to abductions FROM the US
Learn how to respond to abductions TO the US
Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Rangoon

110 University Ave
Kamayut Township,
Rangoon, Burma

Telephone: (95) 1-536-509
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: (95) 1-536-509
Fax: (951)-511-069

General Information
enter link here
Hague Abduction Convention
enter text here
enter text here
enter text here
Retaining an Attorney
enter text here
enter text here

Exercising Custody Rights

While travelling in a foreign country, you are subject to the laws of that country. It is important for parents to understand that, although a left-behind parent in the United States may have custody or visitation rights pursuant to a U.S. custody order, that order may not be valid and enforceable in the country in which the child is located.  For this reason, we strongly encourage you to speak to a local attorney if planning to remove a child from a foreign country without the consent of the other parent.  Attempts to remove your child to the United States may:

  • Endanger your child and others;
  • Prejudice any future judicial efforts; and
  • Could result in your arrest and imprisonment.

The U.S. government cannot interfere with another country’s court or law enforcement system.

To understand the legal effect of a U.S. order in a foreign country, a parent should consult with a local attorney in the country in which the child is located.  

For information about hiring an attorney abroad, see our section on Retaining a Foreign Attorney. 

Although we cannot recommend an attorney to you, most U.S. Embassies have lists of attorneys available online. Please visit the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate website for a full listing.

For more information on consular assistance for U.S. citizens arrested abroad, please see our website.

Country officers are available to speak with you Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  For assistance with an abduction in progress or any emergency situation that occurs after normal business hours, on weekends, or federal holidays, please call toll free at 1-888-407-4747. See all contact information.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this flyer is provided for general information only, is not intended to be legal advice, and may change without notice. Questions involving interpretation of law should be addressed to an attorney licensed in the relevant jurisdiction. 


Hague Convention Participation
Hague Adoption Convention Country?
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

Burma is not a party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention or Convention). Under the Intercountry Adoption Universal Accreditation Act (UAA), which became effective on July 14, 2014, the accreditation requirement and standards, which previously only applied in Convention cases, now also apply in non-Convention or “orphan” cases. The UAA requires that an accredited or approved adoption service provider acts as a primary provider in every case, and that adoption service providers providing adoption services on behalf of prospective adoptive parents be accredited or approved, or be a supervised or exempted provider. Adoption service providers and prospective adoptive parents should review the State Department’s Universal Accreditation Act of 2012 webpage for further information. Intercountry adoptions of children from non-Convention countries continue to be processed under the Orphan Process with the filing of the Forms I-600A and I-600. However, adoption service providers should be aware of the information on the USCIS website on the impact on Form I-600A and Form I-600 adjudications under the UAA, including the requirement that all home studies, including home study updates and amendments, comply with the Convention home study requirements, which differ from the orphan home study requirements that were in effect before July 14, 2014.

Below is the limited adoption information that the Department has obtained from the adoption authority of Burma. U.S. citizens interested in adopting children from Burma should contact the adoption authority of Burma to inquire about applicable laws and procedures. U.S. citizen prospective adoptive parents living in Burma who would like to adopt a child from the United States or from a third country should also contact Burma’s adoption authority. See contact information below.

Burmese law does not allow non-Burmese nationals to adopt or have legal custody of Burmese children. The Kittima Adoption Act of 1941, which is still in force, restricts the right to adopt to Burmese citizens who are Buddhist. The Government of Burma does not recognize dual citizenship.


To bring an adopted child to the United States from Burma, you must meet certain suitability and eligibility requirements. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) determines who can adopt a child from another country and bring that child to live in the United States under U.S. immigration law.

Additionally, a child must meet the definition of an orphan under U.S. immigration law in order to be eligible to immigrate to the United States with an IR-3 or IR-4 immigrant visa.

Who Can Adopt
Who Can Be Adopted

In addition to qualifying as an orphan under U.S. immigration law, the child must meet the following requirements:

  • Age of Adoptive Child: Please note that for a child to meet the definition of an orphan under U.S. immigration law, a Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative, must be filed on the child’s behalf while the child is under the age of 16 (or under the age of 18 if the child is the birth sibling of another adopted child who has immigrated or will immigrate based on adoption by the same adoptive parent(s)).

Caution: Prospective adoptive parents should be aware that not all children in orphanages or children’s homes are eligible for adoption. In many countries, birth parents place their child(ren) temporarily in an orphanage or children’s home due to financial or other hardship, intending that the child return home when this becomes possible. In such cases, the birth parent(s) have rarely relinquished their parental rights or consented to the adoption of their child(ren).

How to Adopt

Burma’s Adoption Authority

Director General, Union Attorney General Office

The Process

The process for adopting a child from Burma generally includes the following steps:

  1. Choose a U.S. Accredited or Approved Adoption Service Provider
  2. Apply to USCIS to be Found Suitable and Eligible to Adopt (Form I-600A)
  3. Apply to Burma’s Authorities to Adopt and be Matched with a Child
  4. Adopt the Child in Burma
  5. Apply for Your Child to be Found Eligible to Immigrate to the United States as an Orphan (Form I-600)
  6. Apply for a U.S. Immigrant Visa for Your Child and Bring Your Child Home

1.  Choose a U.S. Accredited or Approved Adoption Service Provider

Before taking steps to adopt a child from Burma, you should select a U.S. accredited or approved adoption service provider to be the primary provider in your case. As of July 14, 2014, a primary provider is required in every intercountry adoption case under the UAA, unless an exception applies. The primary provider is responsible for:

  • Ensuring that all six adoption services defined at 22 CFR 96.2 are provided;
  • Supervising and being responsible for supervised providers where used (see 22 CFR 96.14); and
  • Developing and implementing a service plan in accordance with 22 CFR 96.44.

For more information on primary providers and the UAA, please see Universal Accreditation Act of 2012.

2.  Apply to USCIS to be Found Suitable and Eligible to Adopt

In order to adopt a child from Burma, you will need to meet the requirements of the Government of Burma and U.S. immigration law. 

To meet U.S. immigration requirements, you may also choose to file a Form I-600A, Application for Advance Processing of an Orphan Petition, with USCIS to be found suitable and eligible to adopt before you identify a child to adopt. You may also choose to file the Form I-600 petition along with all the required Form I-600A application supporting documentation, including an approved home study, once you have been matched with a child and have obtained all the necessary documentation. Please see the USCIS website for more information about filing options. Regardless of which approach you take, the home study must meet the same requirements. As of July 14, 2014, unless an exception applies, the home study must comply with the requirements in 8 CFR 204.311 and 22 CFR Part 96.47.

3.  Apply to Burma’s Authorities to Adopt and be Matched with a Child

If you are found suitable and eligible to adopt under U.S. law, you must also submit an adoption application to the adoption authority of Burma to be found eligible to adopt by Burma.

If a child is eligible for intercountry adoption, the competent adoption authority or other authorized entity in Burma will review your adoption dossier and, if an appropriate match is found, will provide you with a referral. We encourage families to consult with a medical professional and their adoption service provider to understand the needs of the specific child but each family must decide for itself whether it will be able to meet the needs of, and provide a permanent home for, a specific child, and must conform to the recommendations in the home study for the number of children and capacity to deal with any special needs of an adoptive child. Learn more about Health Considerations.

The child must be eligible to be adopted according to Burma’s requirements, as described in the Who Can Be Adopted section. The child must also meet the definition of an orphan under U.S. immigration law.

4.  Adopt the Child in Burma

The process for finalizing the adoption in Burma generally includes the following:

  • Role of Adoption Agencies:  

    Starting July 14, 2014, unless an exception applies, there must be a U.S. accredited or approved adoption service provider acting as the primary provider in every case. Also, any agency or person providing an adoption service on behalf of prospective adoptive parents in any Convention or non-Convention case must be accredited or approved, or be a supervised or exempted provider. Adoption service means any one of the following  six services:
    1. Identifying a child for adoption and arranging an adoption;
    2. Securing the necessary consent to termination of parental rights and to adoption;
    3. Performing a background study on a child or a home study on a prospective adoptive parent(s), and reporting on such a study;
    4. Making non-judicial determinations of the best interests of a child and the appropriateness of an adoptive placement for the child;
    5. Monitoring a case after a child has been placed with prospective adoptive parent(s) until final adoption; or
    6. When necessary because of a disruption before final adoption, assuming custody and providing (including facilitating the provision of) child care or any other social service pending an alternative placement.  22 CFR 96.2 Definitions.

  • Adoption Fees: Prospective adoptive parents are advised to obtain detailed receipts for all fees and donations paid, either by themselves directly or through their U.S. adoption service provider, and to raise any concerns regarding any payment that you believe may be contrary to U.S. law, or the law of Burma, with your adoption service provider. Please also refer to information concerning the Hague Complaint Registry. Improper payments may have the appearance of buying achild, violate applicable law, and could put all future adoptions in Burma at risk. The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, for instance, makes it unlawful to bribe foreign government officials to obtain or retain business. Further, the UAA and IAA make it unlawful to improperly influence relinquishment of parental rights, parental consent relating to adoption of a child, or a decision by an entity performing Central Authority functions.

5.  Apply for Your Child to be Found Eligible for Immigration to the United States as an Orphan

After you finalize the adoption USCIS must determine whether the child meets the definition of an orphan under U.S. immigration law in order for the child to immigrate to the United States. You will need to file a Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative. At the time you file your Form I-600 petition, the adjudicating officer will determine whether the UAA applies or if your case is UAA grandfathered. For more information on UAA grandfathering and transition cases, please see Universal Accreditation Act of 2012. Unless an exception applies, you must identify a primary provider in your case and the adjudicating officer may ask for the name and contact information of the primary provider if not provided in your Form I-600 petition. This information is required and, without it, your Form I-600 petition cannot be approved. 

If you have an approved, valid Form I-600A, Application for Advance Processing of an Orphan Petition, you may file your Form I-600 petition either in the United States with USCIS or in person at the U.S. Embassy in Rangoon, Burma.

When a Form I-600 petition is adjudicated by USCIS in the United States, the consular section in Rangoon, Burma must complete a Form I-604, Determination on Child for Adoption (sometimes informally referred to as an orphan determination), to verify the child’s orphan status. When a Form I-600 petition is adjudicated by an international USCIS office, USCIS generally completes the Form I-604 determination.

For Form I-600 petitions filed with the Embassy’s consular section, the consular officer must complete the Form I-604 determination after you file your Form I-600 petition. Conducting the Form I-604 determination is a critical part of the orphan adoption process. It can take months to complete, depending upon the circumstances of your case. Consular officers appreciate that families are eager to bring their child home as quickly as possible. Some of the factors that may contribute to the length of the process include prevailing fraud patterns in the country of origin, civil unrest or security concerns that restrict travel to certain areas of the country, and the number of determinations performed by available staff. Consular officers make every effort to conduct them as quickly and thoroughly as possible. You are advised to keep your travel plans flexible while awaiting the results.

6.  Apply for a U.S. Immigrant Visa for Your Child and Bring Your Child Home

Now that your adoption is complete and the Form I-604 determination has been completed finding that your child meets the legal definition of an orphan for immigration purposes, there are a few more steps to take before you and your child can head home. Specifically, you need to apply for three documents before your child can travel to the United States:

Birth Certificate

If you have finalized the adoption in Burma, you will first need to apply for a new birth certificate for your child. 

If you have been granted legal custody for the purposes of emigration and adoption of the child in the United States, the birth certificate you obtain will, in most cases, not yet include your name.

Burma Passport

Your child is not yet a U.S. citizen, so he/she will need a travel document or passport from Burma.

U.S. Immigrant Visa

After you obtain the new birth certificate and passport for your child and you have filed Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative, you then need to apply for a U.S. immigrant visa for your child from the U.S. Embassy in Rangoon, Burma.This immigrant visa allows your child to travel home with you and be admitted to the United States as your child.  As part of this process, you must provide the consular officer the Panel Physician’s medical report on the child.

Before coming for your child’s immigrant visa interview, please complete an Electronic Immigrant Visa Application (DS-260) online at the Consular Electronic Application Center (CEAC). If you filed a Form I-600 petition in the United States, you should receive a letter from the National Visa Center (NVC) confirming receipt of the petition and assignment of a case number and an invoice ID number. You will need this information to log into CEAC to file the DS-260 for your child. An adoptive parent should fill out these forms in your child's name. Answer every item on the form. If information is not applicable, please write “N/A” in the block. Print and bring the DS-260 form confirmation page to the visa interview. Please review the DS-260 FAQs, our Online Immigrant Visa Forms page, or contact the NVC at or +1-603-334-0700 if you have questions about completing the online DS-260 form.

It is not usually possible to provide the visa to adoptive parents on the same day as the immigrant visa interview. Adoptive parents should verify current processing times with the U.S. Embassy in Rangoon, Burma.before making final travel arrangements.

Child Citizenship Act

For adoptions finalized abroad prior to the child’s entry into the United States: An adopted child residing in the United States in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent pursuant to a lawful admission for permanent residence generally will acquire U.S. citizenship automatically upon entry into the United States if the child otherwise meets the requirements of the Child Citizenship Act of 2000, including the child is under the age of eighteen.

For adoptions finalized after the child’s entry into the United States: You will need to complete an adoption following your child’s entry into the United States and before the child turns eighteen for the child (if he or she otherwise meets the requirements of the Child Citizenship Act of 2000) to automatically acquire U.S. citizenship.

Read more about the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.

Traveling Abroad

Applying for Your U.S. Passport

U.S. citizens are required to enter and depart the United States on a valid U.S. passport. Once your child has acquired U.S. citizenship, s/he will need a U.S. passport for any international travel.  Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. passports.

Getting or renewing a passport is easy. The Department of State’s Passport Application Wizard will help you determine which passport form you need, help you to complete the form online, estimate your payment, and generate the form for you to print—all in one place.

Obtaining a Visa to Travel to Burma

In addition to a U.S. passport, you may also need to obtain a visa. Where required, visas are affixed to your passport and allow you to enter a foreign nation. To find information about obtaining a visa for Burma, see the Department of State’s Country Specific Information.

Staying Safe on Your Trip

Before you travel, it is always a good practice to investigate the local conditions, laws, political landscape, and culture of the country. The Department of State provides Country Specific Information for every country in the world about various issues, including health conditions, crime, currency or entry requirements, and any areas of instability.

Staying in Touch on Your Trip

When traveling during the adoption process, we encourage you to enroll with the Department of State through our Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive important information from the Embassy about safety conditions in your destination country. Enrollment makes it possible for the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in Burma, to contact you in an emergency, whether natural disaster, civil unrest, or family emergency.

Enrollment is free and can be done online via the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).

After Adoption

Post-Adoption Resources

Many adoptive parents find it important to find support after the adoption. There are many public and private nonprofit post-adoption services available for children and their families. There are also numerous adoptive family support groups and adoptee organizations active in the United States that provide a network of options for adoptees who seek out other adoptees from the same country of origin. Take advantage of all the resources available to your family, whether it is another adoptive family, a support group, an advocacy organization, or your religious or community services. Your primary provider can provide or point you to post- placement/post-adoption services to help your adopted child and your family transition smoothly and deal effectively with the many adjustments required in an intercountry adoption. 

Here are some places to start your support group search:

Note: Inclusion of non-U.S. government links does not imply endorsement of contents.


If you have concerns about your adoption process, we ask that you share this information with the Embassy in Rangoon, particularly if it involves possible fraud or misconduct specific to your child’s case. The Department of State takes all allegations of fraud or misconduct seriously. Our Adoption Comment Page provides several points of contact for adoptive families to comment on their adoption service provider, their experience applying for their child’s visa, or about the Form I-600 petition process.

The Hague Complaint Registry is an internet based registry for filing complaints about U.S. accredited or approved adoption service providers. If you think your provider's conduct may have been out of substantial compliance with accreditation standards, first submit your complaint in writing directly to your provider. If the complaint is not resolved through the provider's complaint process, you may file the complaint through the Hague Complaint Registry.

Contact Information

U.S. Embassy in Burma
110 University Ave
Kamayut Township,
Rangoon, Burma
Tel:  +(95) (1) 536-509, ext. 4240

Burma’s Adoption Authority
Director General
Union Attorney General Office
Building 25
Nay Pyi Taw, Myanmar
Tel: +95 67 404 097
Fax: +95 67 404 106

Embassy of Burma
2300 S St NW, Washington, DC 20008
Tel:  (202) 332-3344
Fax:  (202) 332-4351

Office of Children’s Issues
U.S. Department of State
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, D.C.  20522-1709

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
For questions about immigration procedures:
USCIS National Customer Service Center (NCSC)
Tel:  1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833)

For questions about filing a Form I-600A application or I-600 petition:
USCIS National Benefits Center
Tel:  1-877-424-8374 (toll free); 1-816-251-2770 (local)

Reciprocity Schedule

Select a visa category below to find the visa issuance fee, number of entries, and validity period for visas issued to applicants from this country*/area of authority.

Explanation of Terms

Visa Classification: The type of nonimmigrant visa you are applying for.

Fee: The reciprocity fee, also known as the visa issuance fee, you must pay. This fee is in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee (MRV fee).

Number of Entries: The number of times you may seek entry into the United States with that visa. "M" means multiple times. If there is a number, such as "One", you may apply for entry one time with that visa.

Validity Period: This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used, from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel with that visa. If your Validity Period is 60 months, your visa will be valid for 60 months from the date it is issued.

Visa Classifications
Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None  Multiple  12 Months 
A-2 None  One  6 Months 
A-3 1 None Multiple 12 Months
B-1 $32.00A OneA 3 Months
B-2 None One 3 Months
C-1 $16.00 One 3 Months
C-1/D N/A N/A N/A
C-2 None One 12 Months
C-3 None One 12 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D $440.00 Multiple 12 Months
E-1 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2C 12 None Multiple 12 Months
F-1 $440.00 Multiple 12 Months
F-2 $440.00 Multiple 12 Months
G-1 None  Multiple  12 Months 
G-2 None  Multiple  12 Months 
G-3 None Multiple  12 Months 
G-4 None Multiple 12 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 12 Months
H-1B None Single 3 months 3
H-1C $32.00 Multiple 12 Months 3
H-2A $32.00 N/A N/A3
H-2B $32.00 N/A N/A3
H-2R $32.00 Multiple 12 Months 3
H-3 $32.00 Multiple 12 Months 3
H-4 $32.00 Multiple 12 Months 3
I None Single 1 Month
J-1 4 $440.00 Multiple 12 Months
J-2 4 $440.00 Multiple 12 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Single 3 Months
L-2 None Single 3 Months
M-1 $440.00 Multiple 12 Months
M-2 $440.00 Multiple 12 Months
N-8 None Multiple 12 Months
N-9 None Multiple 12 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 $32.00 Multiple 12 Months 3
O-2 $32.00 Multiple 12 Months 3
O-3 $32.00 Multiple 12 Months 3
P-1 $32.00 Multiple 12 Months 3
P-2 $32.00 Multiple 12 Months 3
P-3 $32.00 Multiple 12 Months 3
P-4 $32.00 Multiple 12 Months 3
Q-1 6 $32.00 Multiple 12 Months 3
R-1 $260.00 Multiple 12 Months
R-2 $260.00 Multiple 12 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8
Country Specific Footnotes

A.    Tiered Fee Schedule


of Applications


$440.00 Multiple 12 Months


Visa Category Footnotes
  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents

Note: During the years 1942-1945, Burma was devastated by nearly continuous fighting. Almost every part of the country suffered heavy damage, often repeatedly. As a result, almost no civil records predate 1945, although, in rare instances, families may have preserved their own copies of birth certificates and family registers.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates

Birth Certificates

  • Available: Yes
  • Fees: There is a fee for the birth entry copy that must be paid in Kyat and may not be legally imported into or exported from Burma. Overseas applicants must have relatives or friends apply for them.
  • Birth Certificates:  After World War II and the insurrections from 1947-1950, birth registration gradually became more regular and common, especially in the cities. From the mid-1950s until the early 1970s, compliance with birth registration regulations increased. Today it is standard in all but the most remote areas. The variety of birth certificate forms used during the colonial era and afterward can be confusing. The U.S. Embassy in Rangoon will investigate suspect documents sent from other posts.
  • Issuing Authority:

Office of Divisional Health Director
Yangon Health Division
No. 520, West Race Course Road
Yangon, Myanmar

  • Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: N/A
  • Issuing Authority Personnel Title: N/A
  • Registration Criteria: N/A
  • Procedure for Obtaining: Applicants born in Rangoon Division may request birth certificates from the Office of Divisional Health Director. The applicant seeking the certificate must provide a copy of his/her identity card and family registration, his/her name and aliases, date and place of birth, parents' names, and parents' address at the time of applicant's birth. Those born outside Rangoon Division must apply to the Township Medical Officer of the township of their birth, sending the fee and the personal data listed above.
  • Certified Copies Available: N/A
  • Alternate Documents:  If a birth certificate is not available, please see option (1) if the applicant is less than 70 years of age and option (2) if applicant is 70 years of age or older.
  1. Request a birth record from the Health Department in the applicant’s city of birth.  If the Health Department does not have the applicant’s birth record, you should submit the following with your immigrant visa application:
    • A letter from the Medical Officer of the city’s Health Department that states the applicant’s birth record is not available;
    • An affidavit of birth signed by two people who are older than the applicant, who know the applicant well, and who can attest that the birthdate in the applicant’s passport is accurate; and
    • The applicant’s national registration/scrutiny card.
  2. Each of these documents must be notarized.

  3. An affidavit of the applicant’s birth signed by the applicant, along with the applicant’s national registration/scrutiny card.
  • Exceptions: If the birth was not recorded or the record was destroyed, the authorities will issue a letter to that effect.


  • Available: Yes
  • Fees:  Fees parallel the information given above for birth certificates
  • Document Name: N/A
  • Issuing Authority: 

Office of Divisional Health Director
Yangon Health Division
No. 520, West Race Course Road
Yangon, Myanmar

  • Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: N/A
  • Issuing Authority Personnel Title: N/A
  • Registration Criteria: N/A
  • Procedure for Obtaining: N/A
  • Certified Copies Available: N/A
  • Alternate Documents: N/A
  • Exceptions: N/A
  • Comments:  Sources and fees parallel the information given above for birth certificates.
Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Marriage Certificates

  • Available: Marriage certificates are customary only for marriages between two Christians or marriages between a Christian and a non-Christian. Married couples of other faiths can execute marriage affidavits before a notary public or a local judicial office, but these documents are not officially registered. Under Buddhist law, a marital relationship is established through cohabitation and common repute, not by a ceremony or civil registration. Muslim marriages are recorded in a deed of marriage signed by the parties and witnessed by friends and relatives. These marriage deeds are not registered with civil authorities.
  • Fees: Vary
  • Document Name: N/A
  • Issuing Authority: N/A
  • Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: N/A
  • Issuing Authority Personnel Title: N/A
  • Registration Criteria: N/A
  • Procedure for Obtaining: N/A
  • Certified Copies Available: N/A
  • Alternate Documents: N/A
  • Exceptions: N/A

Divorce Certificates

  • Available: Available only for contested divorces of Buddhists and divorces of Christians. Court records are made for all Christian divorces because a Christian divorce is invalid without court action. Courts do not issue divorce decrees, but make written records of decisions. To obtain a certified copy of a divorce record, one must apply to the Clerk of the court concerned. Court records are supposed to be destroyed after three years, but are usually available for a much longer time.
  • Fees: Vary
  • Document Name: N/A
  • Issuing Authority: N/A
  • Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: N/A
  • Issuing Authority Personnel Title: N/A
  • Registration Criteria: N/A
  • Procedure for Obtaining: N/A
  • Certified Copies Available: N/A
  • Alternate Documents: A Muslim divorce is affected by means of a verbal formula recited by the husband. No written record need be made, but the parties may make an affidavit of divorce.
  • Exceptions: In a Buddhist marriage, if both parties want a divorce, they may end the marriage without judicial involvement and without making a written record. The necessary elements of a Buddhist divorce are cessation of cohabitation and community awareness that the marriage has ended. Affidavits are often signed in Buddhist mutual consent divorces, but are not legally necessary. Only if a Buddhist divorce is contested will a court record exist.
  • Comments:  N/A


Adoption Certificates

Adoption Certificates

  • Available: Available under certain conditions. The only Burmese adoptions recognized for U.S. immigration are Kittima adoptions. All parties to a Kittima adoption must be Buddhist at the time of the adoption. All Kittima adoptions taking place after April 1, 1941, must be registered with the government to be valid. (Note: Legal custody of a child starts from the date of the Kittima decree.)
  • Fees: Vary
  • Document Name: Kittima decree
  • Issuing Authority: Copies of adoption deeds registered in Rangoon are available from the Office of the Registration of Deeds. Adoption deeds registered elsewhere are available from the Township Registration Office concerned. The embassy will verify adoption deeds upon request.
  • Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: N/A
  • Issuing Authority Personnel Title: N/A
  • Registration Criteria: N/A
  • Procedure for Obtaining: N/A
  • Certified Copies Available: N/A
  • Alternate Documents: N/A
  • Exceptions: N/A
  • Comments: Same
Identity Card

National ID Cards

  • Available:
  • Fees: Maximum 10 Kyats
  • Document Name: National Registration Card (NRC) AKA- Citizenship Scrutiny Card
  • Issuing Authority: Typically, Township-level Immigration Offices issue the National Registration Card.
  • Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: NRC cards are almost always pink, but other colors such as blue and green exist. The other colors can indicate a person has a particular ethnic background, or that a person immigrated to Burma pre/post 1948.  White cards exist and are typically associated with individuals from Rakhine State near Bangladesh.
  • Issuing Authority Personnel Title:
  • Registration Criteria: Must be at least 10 years old to obtain an National Registration Card. At the age of 18, the card must be updated, but the card number remains the same.
  • Procedure for Obtaining:
    • If applying for the first time at the age of 10, the applicant needs to apply in person accompanied by his/her parents or guardians. If applying for the first time after attaining the age of 18, only the applicant needs to apply in person. The applicant needs to submit their household registration list, the application form, recommendation from their school, birth certificate, the IDs of both parents, medical results for a blood type test, recommendation from the Ward Administration Department, four photos (without wearing any glasses). It takes 28 days to process.
    • If updating the NRC at the age of 18, the applicant needs to come in person. He/she needs to submit their household registration list, the current NRC, the IDs of both parents, recommendation from the Ward Administration Department, four photos (without wearing any glasses). It takes 28 days to process.
    • If lost or damaged, the applicant needs to apply in person with a letter of confession, the application form which needs to contain information about the relatives of the applicant, application form to re-issue a new NRC together with a letter from the Ward Administration Department which affirms the applicant’s residency, police report regarding the loss of the NRC, the household registration list which includes the applicant’s name, IDs of both parents, the number of the lost/damaged NRC, and four photos (without wearing any glasses). It takes 28 days to process.
Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Certificates

  • Available: Yes
  • Fees: N/A
  • Document Name: N/A
  • Issuing Authority: N/A
  • Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: N/A
  • Issuing Authority Personnel Title: N/A
  • Registration Criteria: N/A
  • Procedure for Obtaining: Police certificates must be obtained from each Burmese Township where you have resided for six month or more past the age of 16.  For persons residing overseas, the most practical way to obtain the certificate is through close relatives or friends still in Burma.
  • Certified Copies Available: N/A
  • Alternate Documents: N/A
  • Exceptions: N/A


Court/Prison Records

  • Available: No


Military Records

Military Records

  • Available: Officers with no derogatory information in their military records can obtain "Office Order Part 2" from the Defense Services Records Office. Enlisted men with a clean record can obtain service books from the same office. If a veteran cannot obtain a record from that office, it may mean that his record contains adverse information. In that case, the U.S. Embassy in Rangoon can make inquiries.
  • Fees: N/A
  • Document Name: N/A
  • Issuing Authority:

Defense Services Records Office
Yankin Township, Yangon

  • Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: N/A
  • Issuing Authority Personnel Title: N/A
  • Registration Criteria: N/A
  • Procedure for Obtaining: N/A
  • Certified Copies Available: N/A
  • Alternate Documents: N/A
  • Exceptions: N/A
  • Comments:  Burma does not have conscription, and the Armed Forces will not issue a statement that a person has not served in the military.


Passports & Other Travel Documents


Travel Documents

  • Types Available: (Regular, Diplomatic, Official, etc.):   The Government of Burma currently issues non-biometric passports with machine-readable biographical data and a printed photo. Unexpired non machine-readable passports with a pasted photo are still valid for travel, and may be extended by an endorsement by the Ministry of Home Affairs. There are three basic types of passports:   
    • The Diplomatic Passport has a blue cover and is issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA). It  is usually valid for 10 years but can be valid indefinitely.
    • The Official Passport has a dark green cover. It is issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA). The period of validity depends on the purpose of travel; official passports issued for official duties or workshops are valid for five years, and official passports issued for conferences and training are valid for three years.
    • The Ordinary Passport has a red cover. As of November 1, 2012, there are seven types of ordinary passports: visitor, work, seaman, business, student, religious, and dependent. The type of passport is indicated on the biographical information page. All ordinary passports are valid for five years and are issued by the Ministry of Home Affairs.
  • The Certificate of Identity: Prior to 2010, the Government of Burma issued "Certificates of Identity" for 1) children under the age of 15 not included in a parent's passport and 2) adults who lost their passports. The document is a booklet identical in size to the passport book, is light green, and contains 16 pages. Earlier certificates were a single sheet of blue paper. The Certificate of Identity was issued for a validity period of three years and was extendable. As of 2010, the light blue color “Certificate of Identity” is no longer issued for children under the age of 15 and is no longer a valid identity or citizenship document, but is still valid for adults who lost their passports overseas.  The Myanmar Embassy abroad will issue an emergency white colored Certificate of Identity when necessary.
  • Fees: N/A
  • Document Name: N/A
  • Issuing Government Authority: N/A
  • Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: N/A
  • Issuing Authority Personnel Title: N/A
  • Registration Criteria: N/A
  • Procedure for Obtaining: N/A
  • Alternate Documents: N/A
  • Exceptions: N/A
  • Other Documents Available: N/A


Other Records

Not applicable.

Visa Issuing Posts

Post Contact Information

  • Post Title: U.S. Embassy Rangoon, Burma
  • Address: 110 University Avenue, Rangoon
  • Phone Number:
    • (95) (1) 536-509
    • (95) (1) 536-509 (ext. 4014) - After hours
    • Fax: (95) (1) 650-306
  • Visa Services: All visa categories for all of Burma.
  • Comments / Additional Information: N/A


Visa Services

All visa categories for all of Burma.

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information

Washington, DC (202) 332-4352 (202) 238-9332 (202) 332-4351

New York, NY (212) 744-1279 (212) 744-1271 (212) 744-1275 (212) 744-1290

Assistance for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Embassy Rangoon
110 University Ave
Kamayut Township,
Rangoon, Burma
(95) 1-536-509
(95) 1-536-509
(951) 511-509
Burma Map

Search for Travel Advisories
Additional Information for Reciprocity

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.